September 22, 2014 | 1094 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2011 7:08:00 PM More reviews by swissbird

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Many thanks to izzypal for reminding me to do a follow up!

I left a review several months ago, and thought that the redness/peeling/flaking had resolved, but not quite. I have very fair skin, but neither the dr, the pharmacist, nor the instructions said anything other than to wash with a mild soap, then apply RAM every night.

After a 3-4 nights, my face was red and swollen, itchy, and flaking. So I tried different patterns - every other night; every 3rd night - with the same results. It would get better for a while but then the reaction would happen again. When I walked into the dr's office a few weeks later, he said I had actually given myself a chemical peel, and that I should discontinue until skin was back to normal. Then, every other night, I was to wash my face, then follow with a good moisturizer (I use Revaleskin's Night Cream). Next, I mixed the moisturizer with one pump of the medication, and apply. Well, that seems to be the formula for me.....except for the use of a prescription cortisone cream as needed for any itching and redness in the morning. It took quite a while, but now, my skin looks nice, I've had no breakouts. Wrinkles seem less pronounced and pores seem less noticeable, and I'm happy with the results at last.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by mitzigaynor15

This product has saved my 14-year-old daughter's skin. She was trying tea tree oil soap and oil, and other OTC products with no success. She was getting depressed about having such bad skin. She is such a pretty girl and it was a shame her face was breaking out so bad. A relative in the family who is a dermatologist saw her and gave her a couple boxes of samples of this. Within two weeks her skin improved 100%. She has been using a month now and almost all the red spots have disappeared and she has virtually no breakouts. She uses this at night after cleansing with Cuticura soap. In the a.m. she cleanses again and uses moisturizer. She is careful to use a sunscreen skin for the face when she is going to be outside for any period of time. We have a script for a generic brand of this--I hope it works as well. If not, we will pay anything for this wonderful product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Ejsiq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 39 and tired of acne! While I never had more than 1 or 2 pimples at a time, they were always on my chin, deep, painful, and took awhile to clear. I usually had less than one week of clear skin before another would appear. In the past I had tried Differin, which didnít help much (but maybe I wasnít compliant enough to see the results?). Antibiotic lotions didnít help a bit. Neither did rigorous use of salicylic acid wash pads, and benzoyl peroxide cream was super irritating.
The first 2-4 wks of retin A were red, scaly, painful, and embarrassing. I was constantly checking the mirror at work, dabbing on lotion and cover-up powder. Putting on moisturizer burned. Finally it got a little better and I decided to try exfoliating with a scrub (generic for St Ives apricot scrub) as a desperate move to get rid of flakes. Whoa. That left me smooth and polished (still pink), way better.

I use the 0.04%, and a 20 gram tube lasts me 4 months. I use it all over my face. I rarely have a pimple, and if I do, it is small and superficial, and only lasts 1-2 days (versus 4-7 days). If I get out of the habit, I do start to get acne again. I have seen a reduction in crows feet around the eyes, and less forehead creases. I usually apply it 5-6 days each week before bedtime, and every morning I use Lubriderm daily moisturizer (SPF15 or 30). The only con Iíve found is when I go in a chlorinated pool, my face gets REALLY dry right after. I think I will try to bump up to the 0.1% next tube.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2011 8:04:00 PM More reviews by yankeesweetie35

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Quick facts: Early 20's, fair sensitive skin, lifelong sufferer of blackheads and oilyness

I've been on RAM for about 3 years now. My pores are still very clogged but I no longer get as many raised blackheads or pimples. Basically, up close my pores are still dark and large, but from a normal distance my skin is quite smooth and clear. It hasn't done anything to control my oil. However, as long as my insurance covers it I'll probably continue to use it because my skin looks better when I use it. Also, it helps prevents wrinkles! haha Oh and shockingly, I never had any major irritation on my sensitive skin. In the dead of winter, my skin got slightly dry and red but I cut down to using every other night and it was fine.

Bottom Line: For me, RAM is not incredible, not bad, just decent. It's definitely worth trying if your insurance covers it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 6:02:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My Derm Prescribe this for me after continuous failures on my own to control my hormonal acne. I've tried Retin-A in the Past but not the Micro version until now. I've been taking it slowly. My skin often reacts terribly to new products but so far so good. I'm now on week 3 and beginning to see much improvement. I've had some minor flaking and a little irritation around my eyes. You must follow directions when using this product. Use too much and you are just looking for trouble. Pea size amount doesn't seem like enough but it really is.

I should also have to add that my Forehead lines are already fading. Added benefit to this product is wrinkle control!!

I wash my face, Wait 1 hour or Apply a light moisturizer first and then apply the retin A and my eye cream at night. I started every third night and now on ever other night. My skin is definitely smoother and my dark marks from past breakouts are fading very well. I'm looking forward to seeing long term results. No Initial breakout, but I am on Minocycline and using Duac as a spot treatment. Very pleased so far. I think Buffering this with a Lightweight moisturizer is really the key to not having irritation or redness. I'm just a bit drier than normal. Way better and less harsh than Tazorac!!
Edit: My insurance will no longer pay for Retin A micro-Bleh!!! I used all my samples up so MY doc put me back on Tazorac gel .5%. I will say, Tazorac makes me peel really bad and a little red at first, but it does work in smoothing out my skin and does seem to fade any dark spots much faster than Retin-A micro. I am thnking about about having my prescription filled in Canada. It's $60 from Canada as opposed to $289. these pharmaceutical companies are ripping people off IMHO!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by atlas84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Retin-A Micro has done far more for my skin than any other anti-acne product I've tried. I've had acne since my teens (both on the face and body, more mild cases but not severe) and have always just lived with it. Products with salicylic acid worked OK, and still do to some degree. Benzoyl peroxide did nothing but dry out my skin. When I turned 25, I decided to take better care of myself and looked for a solution to combat my comparatively mild but persistent acne. I decided after much research to try a prescription retinoid. The first dermatologist I visited in March 2010 told me my acne "wasn't that bad" and should use a BPO cream. (The same dermatologist then told me to buy a Clarisonic to help with acne. Sorry, but a glorified vibrating brush would not help with the inflammatory skin conditions of acne and seborrheic dermatitis you just diagnosed me with, you twit.) Went to a different derm a few months later (July 2010) who put me on Retin-A Micro 0.04% without hesitation. At first, I didn't experience any of the redness or flaking that prescription retinoids are known for, but saw some improvement. I used the product every third night to start, then every other night, then two nights on and one night off (I usually go three days between shaving my face, don't use RAM the night before I want to shave). For whatever reason, I stopped using RAM in September or October, can't remember which month. Towards the end of 2010, I reintroduced RAM into my nighttime skin care routine on the two nights on, one night off schedule. Only then did I start getting the wonderful dryness and flakiness so many have the pleasure of experiencing on the path to great skin. In all honesty, the flaking wasn't that bad and I only had mild irritation and redness only after starting to use RAM again. I started using Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel with RAM to combat the dryness. It's now May 2011 and my skin is so clear, I can't remember the last time it was this clear. I still have a ways to go but am much happier and more confident now. I plan to upgrade to RAM 0.1% since I was so impressed with the results. Prescription retinoids (RAM, regular Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac, etc.) are not for everyone but with proper use, they yield excellent results. Side note/Disclaimer: Prescription retinoids should be used with extreme caution (or just avoided altogether) by those with inflammatory skin conditions like rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. that can accompany acne. I have SD but found my skin was better after using RAM, even the SD affected areas.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 8:39:00 AM More reviews by steph11111

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Why why why is a product junkie like me only finding out about this product now, well into my 30s?? LOL! I wished I would have know about it sooner...

I am using this for wrinkles, and to help fade some acne scars (from my teenage years). I don't have acne now, but I do have red blotchy patches on my face from past pimples, enlarged pores, blackheads, , etc. My complexion has never been great..

So I'm on week 2, and the results are already amazing... The deep lines on my forehead are already noticeably fainter.. Those blotchy patches are slowly disappearing... My skin did feel quite raw the first week of using this to the point that it even hurt to put on makeup, but that was only for maybe 2 days and then the sensitivity went away. Totally worth a little pain if you ask me :)

As far as the price - I live in Canada and I paid 26 $ for a tube , which is dirt cheap IMO..I've seen foundations that cost more than that! So not only does it work, it's really affordable, especially when you compare drugstore creams that are 3 times that price, and don't actually do anything...

I have the .1%, I use every night followed by a good cream. I can't wait for more time to go by to see the full results, I will update soon :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2011 1:05:00 PM More reviews by jellybebe

First of all, I must say up front that I am not using this product for acne, as I don't have any. I am using it for the anti-aging benefits only. I just finished working with dermatologists for a month and many of them recommend this for younger, smoother skin, and I was dying to try it. One of the derms looks younger now than she did in her grad photos 3 years ago, and she attributes this to daily use of Retin A and sunscreen. I tried the 0.04% Retin A micro and at first, I didn't let my face dry completely before applying (you should wait a good 20-30 minutes after face washing to apply this) and it peeled my face off. I was so embarrassed because my face was red, scaly and itchy for about 1.5 weeks. It was especially bad around the mouth and on my cheeks Then I started waiting for longer before applying it, and I started using a mild moisturizer (the derm's office gave me samples of La Roche Posay Toleriane Ultra, which worked well). Within a few days, my skin started looking better. The scaly red areas on my cheeks and chin peeled right off and now my skin tolerates the Retin A Micro very well, and my complexion is glowing. I had nice skin before but now I feel even more confident about my complexion. The blackheads on my nose are fading and I only need to wear a light dusting of powder. I have contemplated switching to a higher concentration but I don't think it will make a huge difference, so I will continue using the 0.04% indefinitely! It's a worthwhile investment and I have started recommending it to everybody.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:07:00 PM More reviews by Wordplay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

First off, this has got to be the BEST product I could have ever used. I have tried a large amount of over the counter medications, and a couple of prescription medications. None of them have even compared to Retin-Amicro! I have a SUPER oily T-zone, but my cheeks are extremely dry. My t-zone is prone to horrible acne, whiteheads and insanely huge pimples. When I first started using this, I applied it all over my face before I went to sleep. It made my cheeks SO dry and flaky, and if I applied moisturizer, it would become super oily. I tried it for a week because I knew there were side effects, but after that first week, I gave up for about two weeks. Then my acne became really bad so I tried it again, but this time I only applied it to my forehead. My forehead got really red, irritated, dry and itchy the first week, but I stuck through it because I was desperate! After the first two weeks, my skin started clearing up a lot and the dryness and flakiness stopped. But for the next two weeks after that, my acne got SO BAD. It flared up so much, but I was on a school break so I wasn't worried about it looking bad. I stuck it through those two horrible weeks and it was soooo worth it. After that, it was all clear skin. It clears up my acne, gets rid of my scars and controls my crazy oil. It still makes my skin a little dry, so I tried a couple creams and moisturizers. The only one that moisturizes and doesn't make my skin oily is Aveeno Positively Radiant with SPF 15. Retin-Amicro recommends you put sunscreen on, so I got that one. When paired together, it's like a miracle worker. I have never felt so confident about my skin. I don't ever have to wear foundations, concealers, or powders! TRULY A MIRACLE WORKER !

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by anneh08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

this product gets a lot of bad reviews but i honestly feel 90% of it is because of misuse. Both my sister and i have tried this and now have pretty flawless skin.

-Don't expect clear skin for 3-5 months
-Don't slather this on your face for your first time..(some people put it on for thirty minutes..then wash it off...then increase it day by day.)
-Why? this product will make your skin peel, burn, and itch like no other (which i experienced quite severely b/c i couldn't wait to get clear skin and put on a LOT on my first night)
-It will make you break out....a lot..(purging)
-Your life will suck for a while.
-BUT IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS YOU WILL HAVE CLEAR SKIN THAT IS LESS ACNE PRONE. (meaning you can reap the benefits of other products instead of worrying of it breaking you out)

So..i love this...and it took a while for my skin to get as nice as it is now..it took around 3-4 months for the intense purging to stop...then one more month for my skin to bounce b/t really nice to a couple of pimples here and there...and now..all i get are breakouts from my periods (one/two pimples)
REALLY give this a try...and don't use so many fancy products while you do..simple cleanser, moisturizer, exfoliator, and SPF. you need this b/c it makes your skin more susceptible to sun burns.

this is my current routine

Night:
-a-d-e cream cleanser (earth science)
-oatmeal "scrub"/"treatment" ( i take plain oatmeal i my hair..i wet it..less water if i want more of a scrub..more if i want more of a treatment..rub this on my face..then wash off..i do this b/c i had excema and it keeps the itchiness away..as well, it soothes my skin b/c retin-a micro is sort of an intense treatment.
-no moisturizer (every moisturizer i've tried has broken me out)

Every 3 days i'll put on a thin layer of retin-a micro to "prevent" acne.

Morning:
A-d-e cream cleanser (earth science)
oatmeal (maybe)
Aveeno spf 30 positively radiant moisturizer / origins vitazing spf 15

i use a microdermabrasion scrub once every..two weeks? the combination of daily oatmeal "scrubs" and retin-a (which exfoliates your skin too..somehow...google it)
i don't need, or should exfoliate my skin too much..and this is a pretty intense "scrub" ...it's the kiehls microdermabrasion scrub

Masks:
i use yogurt masks sometimes when i feel like my skin needs a little moisturizing/hydration..
i tone my face w/ green tea sometimes..

i have normal skin type...not very acne prone anymore! (: and you can be too...if you give this a chance