April 20, 2014 | 1625 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Bonder Rubberized Basecoat

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 11:45:00 AM More reviews by breeknee

What this product essentially does is that it dries into a sticky, rubbery feeling texture that "grips" your nail polish, giving it more staying power.

I have very thin, very bendable nails (see my notepad for my nail polish routine if you have similar issues) and I cannot usually get more than one, maybe two day's wear out of polishes, which is fine because I am a serial polish-changer. Despite my personal attributes, this base keeps my polish on for the longest amount of time.

Do a relatively thin coat, make sure to cover the entire nail, wrap the tip if you want too, and make sure it dries for a bit before applying nail polish, that way the polish has the rubberized coat to grip onto. Also try making a "sandwich" where you apply Bonder>Polish Coats>Bonder>Topcoat

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by mitzigaynor15

I have been wanting to try this base coat for a long time but was trying to use up what I had but I don't think that's going to happen because keep buying new products, including base coats. Oh well. I got this at CVS and I had a coupon so the price came down a bit. At almost $8 a bottle I find this stuff to be a bit high in price, however, I was happy with the initial results. I used a strengthening treatment first, then the Orly bonder, then two coats of Zoya Ivanka NP, followed up with one coat of Poshe TC. My manicure has lasted three days with no chips and minimal tipwear. The bonder seemed to make the NP stick to it as I was applying which I guess is one main concept behind the product. I only gave the "Packaging" 3 stars as the brush is very thin and I prefer a wider brush but I like the rubbery top on the bottle--it makes it easier to open. I will most likely purchase this product again with CVS discounts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Shamisen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a great basecoat. It extends the life of my manis for a few days on a non-rubberized coat like Nubar Foundation.
The only issue I have with it is the colour, it does stain a bit. Not a huge concern for me as I am always painted but for those who aren't it could be a problem.
The brush and bottle are great. Nice big bottle size as usual from Orly!
I have quite a few basecoats but I pretty much reach for this every time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 4:36:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

NEW REVIEW: Okay, I changed my mind! I ran out of my usual OPI Nail Envy and being on a budget, I thought I would dig through my stash and use whatever I can find. The Bonder has been sitting there for about a year or two now, and it still works perfectly! This time I also switched up the top coat, so instead of using Seche Vite like I usually did, I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat.

It turned out perfectly! Manicure lasted for about 4 days, though they were starting to show wear at the tips.

I suspect it's the old Seche Vite that's messing with Orly Bonder as a base. I guess now that Seche Vite has run out (or turned goopy, as the case may be), I'll be using Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri from now on, and am happy to use Orly Bonder as a base. Changed my old 1 lippie rating to 5. Just need to use the right top coat with it!

OLD REVIEW: This seems to be generally well-liked by everybody and I bought based on these raving reviews here on MUA, so let me apologize upfront for bringing down your favorite product's rating down. It just doesn't work for me. The first time I used it, my glitter nail polish actually peeled off in a sheet the next day! When I used with ordinary cremes, they start chipping on day 2. When I used OPI Nail Envy in the past, my polish never chipped AT ALL. Which is why it baffles me why a basecoat specifically designed to grip nail polish fares worse than an ordinary treatment polish? Yes, I used my HG top coat Seche Vite at the end, nothing different at all with what I was doing... the only thing different is this basecoat. I bought it from a reputable dealer so this is a genuine product. Really puzzling. I'm going to try CND Stickey next. So sorry this did not work out for me... I still have a full bottle left!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 10:28:00 AM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I never polish my fingernails or toenails without using this. I haven't noticed that it prevents chipping or makes my polish wear any longer, but it certainly keeps polish from staining or yellowing my nails, which makes it worth it for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2011 3:52:00 AM More reviews by shalunya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have found that polishes do last longer when this is applied as a base. I can actually get about 3 more days out of a home manicure when using this product which is amazing for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2011 3:21:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I hate to be one of only a few disagreeing, but this stuff really tore up my nails when I used it. They turned yellow and started flaking apart, it was horrible. (I don't have terribly healthy nails but nothing like this has happened before or since.)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 6:55:00 PM More reviews by mayrei

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty disappointed with this. I've tried it about 5 or 6 times now, and I haven't noticed that it makes any difference in the life of my nail polish. It works about as well as any other base coat I've tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by taciturnxlove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Definitely fell victim to hype with this one.. People say they get 2 weeks of wear? Well then I must be doing something wrong.. No matter what I always get tip shrinkage, and chips the SAME day. I also sometimes get whole sheets of nail polish coming off. This is not amazing like people are claiming it to be. Especially not for the price. This is a decent base but does nothing special besides prevent staining. This prolongs a manicure for a mere 1-2 days, (this is combined with Posche top coat btw.)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Crystalj007

I have just started using this, but it got me through 5 days with no chipping. At the end of day 5 , one nail had a chip, So I decided to redo them, but it could be because the polish I had on was too thick. I have been using it with the snap quick drying topcoat. I just add a coat of snap to shine them up after a few days. Yesterday, day 4, I added the top coat for shine and they appeared to have just been done. Good product.