December 20, 2014 | 1703 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by Dancexnxthexrain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Alima pure cosmetics. They really know what they are talking about when it comes to cosmetics. I love that they have so many color selections (I think its 60-80) for my fair complexion. Most cosmetics, even BM fair, made me look shiny and fake. This caused me to hate wearing make up and found it to be less helpful than helpful. I also have acne prone skin and anything I put on it clogs my pores and breaks me out. Alima does not since there is only 3 ingredients in their products. I love that they match your skin type with a specific blush that makes my skin glow and I look healthy. There is no sheen or shimmer to their foundation, which I really like cause it is more natural. Their customer service is very helpful and friendly. The only downside is that if you don't live in Oregon you have to do mail order. One tip with this foundation is to use a good finishing powder before you apply the foundation (one like makeupforever HD finishing powder) it creates a nice canvas for the foundation to go on flawlessky since it does not absorb oil well. I love this product!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 8:46:00 AM More reviews by amanda23

It is with much regret that I write this review. I might also add that this is somewhere near my third ammendment to this review. I wanted to like this stuff so badly, and on rare occasions, I did. I've gone through so many sample shades of this. Every time I think I've found the correct shade, I order a large jar. I currently have 4 and none of them, I find, is the perfect shade. I don't have the heart to try any more. Furthermore, I find the finish is too 'satiny'. I want to blot my face when I have this on, but there is nothing to blot, that's just the finish. My husband told me thie other night that I looked sweaty. Also, I have read reviews that found that this stuff oxidizes and I agree 100%. What looks good mid-day looks far too orange or dark by the end of the night. I so wanted this to work because I fel it was better for my complexion but even that I didn't find to be true, still suffered minor breakouts when wearing this, no skin clearing. On a positive note, they do have exceptional customer service and I enjoy some of their other shadows and blushes. This foundation was just too much work/effort for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2011 1:27:00 PM More reviews by meowboo

I've had such a great experience so far, I feel compelled to write this review. After not wearing any type of foundation (liquid, mineral, or otherwise), I decided it was time to give mineral makeup another go. I wanted something very light and natural. I ordered 2 sample colors, and was floored by the large sample sizes and promtness of delivery. I put the foundation on, and it was like magic! You can't tell I'm wearing anything heavy, yet I'm getting compliments left and right about how I look "glowing", "have great skin", etc. I placed my order for a full-sized jar immediately! I typed my address wrong while placing the order, and had the pleasure of speaking with someone very nice on the phone, who got everything corrected for me. I've very glad I found this company!
PROS: Great company, natural ingredients
CONS: Not heavy coverage, so many not be the best choice for everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by strix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PROS
So easy to find your perfect match for any skin tone
Good coverage
Non-itchy
Cute packaging
Nontoxic ingredient list

CONS
Can be messy to apply, as all loose mineral makeup can be
Will emphasize large pores but this can be fixed by using a moisturizer/primer underneath

rated 2 of 5 on 6/1/2011 12:43:00 PM More reviews by mdsmum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this. As many others have said, Alima are a great company to deal with and their "Ask the Artist" service is genius! Thanks to that I managed to find a really good colour match (Beige 2, I'm NW20).
I know others are positively evangelical about this foundation but I want my foundation to work for me, not the other way round! I shouldn't have to change my whole skin care regime just to make it work. And some of it I couldn't change even if I wanted to - as an ex-skin cancer sufferer SPF30 all year round is non-negotiable.
I do love the finish of this when it first goes on. The downsides are that as a rosacea sufferer the coverage is WAY too light - 4 layers later & the redness still shows. And after 2 hours the foundation has all but vanished.
I would love to say this is my HG but sadly it's not.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 2:43:00 PM More reviews by CarolynKeene

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've never gotten the hang of liquid foundations, plus I'm oily, so I've always preferred powder foundations. I used to be a MAC Studio Fix girl once upon a time, then used BE for about five years until I decided the color was all wrong and I hated the little mica sparkles. I tested samples of Alima's Beige 0, Natural 1 and 2, and Cool 2. They looked pretty darn similar, but in the end, Cool 2 won. (I’m NW15 for reference.) I adore the way it looks and wears (over primer). No chalkiness, no glittery crap, no color shift, no patchiness, no settling into fine lines. Bonus: Alima is an eco-responsible company with great service. I’ve heard they offer custom mixes if you’re having trouble finding a shade match.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 9:16:00 AM More reviews by amandafailureprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I suppose I am one of few oily girls who actually really likes the "BE-like" sheen to my MMU, and this foundation definitely doesn't offer that. But the eco-friendliness + great coverage + mattifying factors almost make up for that. What I have been doing is adding a couple of scoops of the Silk Naturals Glow Base to this, plus a scoop of SN buttery yellow to darken/boost the color (closest to my almost exact NC25 color in Alima is Warm 3, but it is slightly too neutral and the SN base is white, so it needs a kick). Kind of a pain, but it is looking good so far. I probably will repurchase, but I may try the SN kit on it's own first while I continue my search for the perfect full-coverage/extremely mattifying/glowy real skin looking but without fillers MMU!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by LadySovereign69

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Best Mineral Powder Foundation I have found, It has really good coverage and never ever makes me breakout or worsen any existing pimples. It also only has something like 4 ingredients which is awesome and doesn't cotain bismuth which alot of other mineral powders do (bismuth gives me an itchy red rash, like alot of people). My skin can get a lil dry when wearing this but i have extremely dry skin and this happens with any pwder! The only other bad thing is that when it get's really hot here i tend to sweat on my upper lip (major bloody SULA!!! :) Wild Child ) It can ball up and turn a bit white but nothing too major just have to wipe and blend back in! There is something like 60 shades and I am so lucky that I Got my PERFECT shade on the first try, I did sit there for half an hour staring at all the choices wondering which one to get hehe, It is matte but when I spray a spritz on it (mario badescu - the orange one) it goes kinda dewy and nice but i don't mind either way! Overall awesome foundation - My HG foundation for my acne-prone skin!!!!
Oh and I have read sooo many helpful reviews on this website - probably 1000s so thanks and i hope this review helps someone! YAYYYY to my first ever review!!! :D

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by beccasmn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Reasons to love this company and the makeup:
1. Best natural finish, best color, most gentle mineral makeup I've tried as of today (always searching)
2. Environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free, pure natural ingredients
3. Recycling program for 5 full size jars for an eyeshadow
4. Inexpensive compared to most I've tried

The best trick is to mix the Satin Matte Foundation with a light moisturizer for instant tinted moisturizer/foundation/concealer. Finish with powder foundation as needed. LOVE. Best way to get more coverage. I will definitely be ordering more.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2011 11:43:00 PM More reviews by uli_grrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff. I always think there is something better out there... like I'm always looking for a better options, but have yet to find one that looks as good as the Alima mmu. I keep thinking I SHOULD be using a liquid foundation (I'm not sure what my obsession with liquid foundation is), but quite honestly, the Alima is the best foundation I've tried in years. And it's one of the only foundations I've committed to buying a full size version of. In liquid foundation I've tried the following in the past couple years: MUFE HD, MUFE F&B, MAC F&B, Nars Sheer Glow, Chanel Pro Lumiere, Estee Lauder Double Wear and Revlon Colorstay. I've also used Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, which quite honestly I loved and would highly recommend, but I became a bit concerned with the sunscreen in the TM mixing with my LRP ss. Maybe a weird concern, but whatever. Out of all those, I found the best is MUFE F&B. But even that foundation settled in the very, very, fine lines I have around my mouth. UGH. My Alima mmu always saves the day. Since I still have a rather large sample of the MUFE F&B, I sometimes put that on first, then dust the Alima mmu over it, but it looks a bit cakey. If i just use the Alima primer followed with the Alima mmu, I find it doesn't obviously settle in my lines and doesn't look cakey. Love it and will continue coming back to it even though I'm a nut about liquid foundations! I know that if I'm going out for a night on the town or if I NEED to look great for an event, I'll reach for my Alima since it's reliable and dependable for amazing skin. For the record, I'm an NC20-25 and I use Alima's medium primer powder and their Neutral 3 foundation powder. I also have semi dry skin that I think is due to using Retin-A and AHA consistently... I'm also 30 and have some fine lines, but nothing too terrible (at this point)! I use MUFE HD blush over the Alima with no problem - I know some folks on the boards have had concerns about using a cream/gel blush over mmu... no issues for me. Hope this review helps someone and please contact me if you have any specific questions!