September 23, 2014 | 1812 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by strix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PROS
So easy to find your perfect match for any skin tone
Good coverage
Non-itchy
Cute packaging
Nontoxic ingredient list

CONS
Can be messy to apply, as all loose mineral makeup can be
Will emphasize large pores but this can be fixed by using a moisturizer/primer underneath

rated 2 of 5 on 6/1/2011 12:43:00 PM More reviews by mdsmum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this. As many others have said, Alima are a great company to deal with and their "Ask the Artist" service is genius! Thanks to that I managed to find a really good colour match (Beige 2, I'm NW20).
I know others are positively evangelical about this foundation but I want my foundation to work for me, not the other way round! I shouldn't have to change my whole skin care regime just to make it work. And some of it I couldn't change even if I wanted to - as an ex-skin cancer sufferer SPF30 all year round is non-negotiable.
I do love the finish of this when it first goes on. The downsides are that as a rosacea sufferer the coverage is WAY too light - 4 layers later & the redness still shows. And after 2 hours the foundation has all but vanished.
I would love to say this is my HG but sadly it's not.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 2:43:00 PM More reviews by CarolynKeene

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've never gotten the hang of liquid foundations, plus I'm oily, so I've always preferred powder foundations. I used to be a MAC Studio Fix girl once upon a time, then used BE for about five years until I decided the color was all wrong and I hated the little mica sparkles. I tested samples of Alima's Beige 0, Natural 1 and 2, and Cool 2. They looked pretty darn similar, but in the end, Cool 2 won. (I’m NW15 for reference.) I adore the way it looks and wears (over primer). No chalkiness, no glittery crap, no color shift, no patchiness, no settling into fine lines. Bonus: Alima is an eco-responsible company with great service. I’ve heard they offer custom mixes if you’re having trouble finding a shade match.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 9:16:00 AM More reviews by amandafailureprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I suppose I am one of few oily girls who actually really likes the "BE-like" sheen to my MMU, and this foundation definitely doesn't offer that. But the eco-friendliness + great coverage + mattifying factors almost make up for that. What I have been doing is adding a couple of scoops of the Silk Naturals Glow Base to this, plus a scoop of SN buttery yellow to darken/boost the color (closest to my almost exact NC25 color in Alima is Warm 3, but it is slightly too neutral and the SN base is white, so it needs a kick). Kind of a pain, but it is looking good so far. I probably will repurchase, but I may try the SN kit on it's own first while I continue my search for the perfect full-coverage/extremely mattifying/glowy real skin looking but without fillers MMU!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by LadySovereign69

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Best Mineral Powder Foundation I have found, It has really good coverage and never ever makes me breakout or worsen any existing pimples. It also only has something like 4 ingredients which is awesome and doesn't cotain bismuth which alot of other mineral powders do (bismuth gives me an itchy red rash, like alot of people). My skin can get a lil dry when wearing this but i have extremely dry skin and this happens with any pwder! The only other bad thing is that when it get's really hot here i tend to sweat on my upper lip (major bloody SULA!!! :) Wild Child ) It can ball up and turn a bit white but nothing too major just have to wipe and blend back in! There is something like 60 shades and I am so lucky that I Got my PERFECT shade on the first try, I did sit there for half an hour staring at all the choices wondering which one to get hehe, It is matte but when I spray a spritz on it (mario badescu - the orange one) it goes kinda dewy and nice but i don't mind either way! Overall awesome foundation - My HG foundation for my acne-prone skin!!!!
Oh and I have read sooo many helpful reviews on this website - probably 1000s so thanks and i hope this review helps someone! YAYYYY to my first ever review!!! :D

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by beccasmn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Reasons to love this company and the makeup:
1. Best natural finish, best color, most gentle mineral makeup I've tried as of today (always searching)
2. Environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free, pure natural ingredients
3. Recycling program for 5 full size jars for an eyeshadow
4. Inexpensive compared to most I've tried

The best trick is to mix the Satin Matte Foundation with a light moisturizer for instant tinted moisturizer/foundation/concealer. Finish with powder foundation as needed. LOVE. Best way to get more coverage. I will definitely be ordering more.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2011 11:43:00 PM More reviews by uli_grrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff. I always think there is something better out there... like I'm always looking for a better options, but have yet to find one that looks as good as the Alima mmu. I keep thinking I SHOULD be using a liquid foundation (I'm not sure what my obsession with liquid foundation is), but quite honestly, the Alima is the best foundation I've tried in years. And it's one of the only foundations I've committed to buying a full size version of. In liquid foundation I've tried the following in the past couple years: MUFE HD, MUFE F&B, MAC F&B, Nars Sheer Glow, Chanel Pro Lumiere, Estee Lauder Double Wear and Revlon Colorstay. I've also used Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, which quite honestly I loved and would highly recommend, but I became a bit concerned with the sunscreen in the TM mixing with my LRP ss. Maybe a weird concern, but whatever. Out of all those, I found the best is MUFE F&B. But even that foundation settled in the very, very, fine lines I have around my mouth. UGH. My Alima mmu always saves the day. Since I still have a rather large sample of the MUFE F&B, I sometimes put that on first, then dust the Alima mmu over it, but it looks a bit cakey. If i just use the Alima primer followed with the Alima mmu, I find it doesn't obviously settle in my lines and doesn't look cakey. Love it and will continue coming back to it even though I'm a nut about liquid foundations! I know that if I'm going out for a night on the town or if I NEED to look great for an event, I'll reach for my Alima since it's reliable and dependable for amazing skin. For the record, I'm an NC20-25 and I use Alima's medium primer powder and their Neutral 3 foundation powder. I also have semi dry skin that I think is due to using Retin-A and AHA consistently... I'm also 30 and have some fine lines, but nothing too terrible (at this point)! I use MUFE HD blush over the Alima with no problem - I know some folks on the boards have had concerns about using a cream/gel blush over mmu... no issues for me. Hope this review helps someone and please contact me if you have any specific questions!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by pezbot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Best mineral makeup I've tried! Like it much better than BE or Jane Iredale! Price is very reasonable, they also have great customer service. Alima's color selection is really good.
Jane Iredale was always too pink for my light Olive skin. I now wear Alima Olive 1.5 and Love it. Perfect match for me.
It doesn't dry me out either or make my skin look shiny. I always wear moistuizer under it and spritz with rosewater or Earth Science hydrating toner right after. I use a JI flat brush to apply and have also played around with mixing it into oil or moisturizer. Highly recommend this brand!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by chaosgreeneyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was choosing between Alima and Lumiere powder foundations. Got samples of both 3 weeks ago. Alima has really wiiiiiiide color range for pale girls! I'm very pale and a bit warm, paler than NC15 or Bobbi's Alabaster, and my perfect match in Alima is Warm1. Lumiere's fair shades are a shade darker than Alima's, though warm shades or goldens are in the same color family in both brands. The difference between Warm0 and Warm1 is very subtle in the pan but Warm0 makes me pale and Warm1 don't. Goldens are very yellow, even lemony shades.

It applies perfectly. No chalkness, invisible coverage, doesn't oxidize, mattifies a bit. Very comfortable to wear. The coverage is light.

I switched to this about half a month ago, and my skin is noticeably clearer now... but noticeably drier too. I've found a HG foundation, but I must search for HG moisturizer now, haha((

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by NeatoBandito

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first foray into mineral makeup and only my second into foundation. I am very pale and cool-toned; my skin is overall very clear, but I sometimes break out on my chin. My goal was to find something a) with very light coverage and b) that would keep me dewy, but matte all day. I ordered samples of Cool 0, Cool 1, Neutral 0 and Neutral 1 (another plus with this brand is that samples are only $1.50) and I'm happy to say that Cool 1 is a perfect match; I apply with a light hand and I'm ready to go. I also like the fact that this foundation only has 4 ingredients.