April 18, 2014 | 1360 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by beccasmn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Reasons to love this company and the makeup:
1. Best natural finish, best color, most gentle mineral makeup I've tried as of today (always searching)
2. Environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free, pure natural ingredients
3. Recycling program for 5 full size jars for an eyeshadow
4. Inexpensive compared to most I've tried

The best trick is to mix the Satin Matte Foundation with a light moisturizer for instant tinted moisturizer/foundation/concealer. Finish with powder foundation as needed. LOVE. Best way to get more coverage. I will definitely be ordering more.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2011 11:43:00 PM More reviews by uli_grrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff. I always think there is something better out there... like I'm always looking for a better options, but have yet to find one that looks as good as the Alima mmu. I keep thinking I SHOULD be using a liquid foundation (I'm not sure what my obsession with liquid foundation is), but quite honestly, the Alima is the best foundation I've tried in years. And it's one of the only foundations I've committed to buying a full size version of. In liquid foundation I've tried the following in the past couple years: MUFE HD, MUFE F&B, MAC F&B, Nars Sheer Glow, Chanel Pro Lumiere, Estee Lauder Double Wear and Revlon Colorstay. I've also used Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, which quite honestly I loved and would highly recommend, but I became a bit concerned with the sunscreen in the TM mixing with my LRP ss. Maybe a weird concern, but whatever. Out of all those, I found the best is MUFE F&B. But even that foundation settled in the very, very, fine lines I have around my mouth. UGH. My Alima mmu always saves the day. Since I still have a rather large sample of the MUFE F&B, I sometimes put that on first, then dust the Alima mmu over it, but it looks a bit cakey. If i just use the Alima primer followed with the Alima mmu, I find it doesn't obviously settle in my lines and doesn't look cakey. Love it and will continue coming back to it even though I'm a nut about liquid foundations! I know that if I'm going out for a night on the town or if I NEED to look great for an event, I'll reach for my Alima since it's reliable and dependable for amazing skin. For the record, I'm an NC20-25 and I use Alima's medium primer powder and their Neutral 3 foundation powder. I also have semi dry skin that I think is due to using Retin-A and AHA consistently... I'm also 30 and have some fine lines, but nothing too terrible (at this point)! I use MUFE HD blush over the Alima with no problem - I know some folks on the boards have had concerns about using a cream/gel blush over mmu... no issues for me. Hope this review helps someone and please contact me if you have any specific questions!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by pezbot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Best mineral makeup I've tried! Like it much better than BE or Jane Iredale! Price is very reasonable, they also have great customer service. Alima's color selection is really good.
Jane Iredale was always too pink for my light Olive skin. I now wear Alima Olive 1.5 and Love it. Perfect match for me.
It doesn't dry me out either or make my skin look shiny. I always wear moistuizer under it and spritz with rosewater or Earth Science hydrating toner right after. I use a JI flat brush to apply and have also played around with mixing it into oil or moisturizer. Highly recommend this brand!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by chaosgreeneyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was choosing between Alima and Lumiere powder foundations. Got samples of both 3 weeks ago. Alima has really wiiiiiiide color range for pale girls! I'm very pale and a bit warm, paler than NC15 or Bobbi's Alabaster, and my perfect match in Alima is Warm1. Lumiere's fair shades are a shade darker than Alima's, though warm shades or goldens are in the same color family in both brands. The difference between Warm0 and Warm1 is very subtle in the pan but Warm0 makes me pale and Warm1 don't. Goldens are very yellow, even lemony shades.

It applies perfectly. No chalkness, invisible coverage, doesn't oxidize, mattifies a bit. Very comfortable to wear. The coverage is light.

I switched to this about half a month ago, and my skin is noticeably clearer now... but noticeably drier too. I've found a HG foundation, but I must search for HG moisturizer now, haha((

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by NeatoBandito

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first foray into mineral makeup and only my second into foundation. I am very pale and cool-toned; my skin is overall very clear, but I sometimes break out on my chin. My goal was to find something a) with very light coverage and b) that would keep me dewy, but matte all day. I ordered samples of Cool 0, Cool 1, Neutral 0 and Neutral 1 (another plus with this brand is that samples are only $1.50) and I'm happy to say that Cool 1 is a perfect match; I apply with a light hand and I'm ready to go. I also like the fact that this foundation only has 4 ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by spearmintcookie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Alima was my first foray into MMU, and I must say I am so, so pleased! I have oily skin with acne, and am really pale. I wanted something that covered my discolorations but looked natural (which meant, for me, not-powdery, not-oily, and not orange!). I ordered samples in Cool 2, Neutral 1, and Neutral 2. Cool 2 was very, very pink--I'm cool, but I'm not THAT cool! Neutral 1, on the other hand, was GREAT. Matched (almost) perfectly, which I remedied by ordering Neutral 0 and mixing it with N1, about 1:2 ratio, which works great for me in the winter. Come summer, when I'm a little less ghostly, I think the N1 will be perfect. The samples are a great size, and I love how you can buy 6 and, with shipping, it's only $11! And it arrives to the East Coast in 2 days. It took me a while to get the right routine going, but here's what I do for application:

1) Moisturize, since my skin + East Coast winters = dry, scaly mess
2) Wait for the moisturizer to sink in, then lightly dust the primer powder in light all over my face
3) Pour a little foundation into a larger lid (not the one that comes with the samples, since I find that's too small--I'm using the lid from my e.l.f. hd finishing powder, but I imagine there are many things that would work)
4) Tap my brush (e.l.f. powder brush, the flat-top kind) in the foundation, then tap lightly to get rid of the excess. Apply a thin layer to my whole face, then spritz with water. Let that dry, then do another thin layer if I feel I need it. Spritz with water again if it's looking powdery.
5) Apply blush, then very thin layer of e.l.f. hd finishing powder. Voila! I'm good to go for several hours, oil-free, which, for me, is nothing short of a miracle.

I use an oil cleanser at night to remove my makeup and keep my pores from getting clogged, which works GREAT, so I haven't had any problems with Alima making me break out. Highly recommended, especially for those who have trouble finding foundation in the right shade!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by beautymarksandscars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was my first attempt at mineral foundation. I've always been a liquid foundation type, as I love dewy and hydrated looking skin. But around Christmas and up until recently my skin, which is normally clear, broke out fiercely, hormonal I am sure. My mother recommended I try mineral makeup (she uses BE). So I came onto MUA and saw the good things being said about Alima and ordered sample sizes off their website. Out of the 3 colors I picked, Warm 01 I liked best, and had no real issues with it, except I was not crazy about the powdery finish. I figured it was just too much of a difference compared to liquid foundations. Then my mother saw me wearing it and said Warm 01 was way to light for my complexion so I went to order Warm 02 and Warm 03 off the website, but the site was giving me issues (saying I wasn't logged it, when I was) so after many failed attempts, I located a local boutique that sold Alima Pure cosmetics! The owner of the store said Warm 03 looked good on me, so I purchased the full size (she didn't have samples) for much more than what the Alima site sells their full size foundations, $30. I took it home and for a week straight I used it everyday, applying it with my ecotools kabuki. That's when the really strange things started to happen with this foundation, I started getting little red pimples all over my nose, something new to me, and during the day, about 4-5 hours after applying the foundation I would start to feel this weird warm, heated sensation all over my face. I just wanted to go wash it off, but I couldn't I was at work. Strange how the Warm 01 worked fairly well for me, but the Warm 03 somehow irritated my skin? I suppose perhaps my skin started to react to the mica? I stopped using the foundation and have returned to liquid foundation, and the weird heat sensation no longer exists. I wanted this to work, as I've heard mineral makeup is better for you, but in the end, alas, it did not.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2011 12:51:00 PM More reviews by bethelanneh

I wanted so much to love this foundation, but I could not make it work for me. I tried almost every undertone in 2 or 3 shades and just never looked right. One part of that might be my not knowing my undertone (although I found a match almost instantly with Meow). The other part of that is that, no matter how lightly I applied the foundation, I looked chalky at the end of the day. I tried going one shade darker, mixing, different application techniques, but nothing worked.

It is really too bad because I loved the idea of the company, the packaging, and the fact that the foundation did not turn me into an oily mess (like BE or EDM), but apparently it is all wrong for me. I am using Meow now, which was super easy to find a color match with and never looks chalky, no matter how much I pile on.

I'd still purchase other products (like eyeshadow) from Alima, but the foundation was a miss.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by sunnygator007

I had really high expectations for this product due to all of the reviews... In regards to powder MMU I have tried BE, Mac, L'oreal, Almay, Neutrogena... Sadly, I was very underwhelmed by Alima. I'm NC30, MUFE HD 120, I matched to beige 4 in this foundation

Pro's:
Wide color range
great customer service
environmentally conscience company

Con's:
coverage is just OK- even for a MMU
staying powder is just OK

I may have an update a bit later. Been using this for a few days now. I have an Everyday minerals kit on the way... hopefully I will find better results.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by shopgirl087

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I write this review with a grain of salt - I absolutely loved this mineral powder. The color choice is amazing and I was able to find a perfect match. However, it made me break out : ( I have NO clue why ... I'd never had that reaction with mineral make-up. And I NEVER get pimples, so this was really surprising to me. It's a great powder foundation that gives great coverage. It also did make me appear a little washed out in photos, whereas my powder never did ... Either way, I highly recommend TRYING it, especially since they offer sample sizes for you to try before purchasing the full size product.