April 17, 2014 | 1025 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2008 7:44:00 AM More reviews by lilmisssunshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

when the SA tried Santa Fe on my hand, it looked light weight and really evens out my skin tone! So i bought it, but it was dirt expensive!!!
So it's been my favourite foundation since I bought it, I found it to be very useful to cover up my blemishes, mind you, I have acne scars, and they hide perfectly. The only problem I have with this foundation is, it sometimes look too matte, but then it's a foundation, not a shimmery bloc. Also, I found that it looks perfect the minute I put it on but it slightly changes after that initial 5 minutes, I wonder why. Other than that, it offers pretty good coverage for me!

And I've noticed that this comes in a huge box, but it's okay for me. I wish it would be cheaper, it costs me more than $65 USD here in hong kong. Will not repurchase due to my new love for BB Creams

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2008 2:22:00 PM More reviews by rainy1791

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this in Fiji and at first when I put it on it looked great because it hid the redness around my nose and felt very soft on my skin. Later in the day though I noticed this foundation got stuck in my pores and looked cakey in certain areas. Maybe this is because of my combination skin so I think it would work well for someone with normal skin. I will not repurchase but if you are thinking of buying it, try some on at sephora first and leave it on through the day to see if you have any problems with it. Also the container of this is very big because it has a compartment on the bottom with a makeup sponge but they do sell refills that are cheaper without the compact.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

This foundation is yellow based. I am more of a beige yellow than olive yellow, NC 30 in winter. I had to use the pink category in the LM powder fdn #4. and I should choose Deauville (balance of pink & yellow) rather than Fiji, which is too yellow for now, so I will save this for summer when I get a little darker. Nars costs less than LM and has 5 gms more. Unlike Mac, this powder is smooth & no caking, thanks to the nylon. Sorry Laura & Mac.
The only thing I don't like is the material Nars used for the compact container. Its like a large piece of rubber eraser. It's also hard to open.
All aside, definitely will re-purchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 9:29:00 PM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ive always wanted to try and purchase this foundation but had absolutely no justification for it, especially since I'm a MAC girl and it's the only brand that matches my skintone.
I happen to be browsing stuff at a Sephora with my sister, who is a tad lighter than me and also shares my weird skintone with its golden/olive/tanned/peachy tones to it. (Thanks mom and dad...we love you...NOT! :P)
So anyway, my sis was in dire need of a new foundation and after testing BE, which I warned her about, and not finding a match, she walked aimlessly thru the entire Sephora. Poor child.
I went over to the NARS section and immediately picked up Sedona to try on her and it was an almost perfect match! It looked flawless on her....I mean gorgeous!!! It did need a tad ooomph, so I added Casino and voila! She didn't want it so I said...well, if it matches you, then hell....I'm gonna get one for me.
I have tested this abot 3 times and I am NOT in love. The match on me is almost as good BUT this foundation is a bit more powdery than my studio fix, thus giving me an ashy look. My match was also Sedona and unfortunately, the next shade up, Jamaica is way too dark.
The coverage is light to medium but again, very powdery. The price is steeeeeeeep! It's about $40.00 and it comes in a bulkier than usual NARS compact. Very annoying.
In all, I much prefer Studio Fix over this one. Studio Fix offers better coverage, better match, not as powdery (at least on me) and looks more natural, and the price is way better for the amount of product. And, I appreciate the packaging of studio fix a lot more, which is easier to carry around.
I will not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2008 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Bobbie5772

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have extremely oily skin. Now that I'm 42 yrs old, it is also combination too- I bought this yesterday in Mont Blanc, which is the lightest shade. Seems a little dark for me. My husband says it looks more natural and less ghostlike than the Benefit Get Even in 01 that I've used for years. Lately I thought it looked a little maskey so I decided to try NARS. I think I love it. Love the packaging- maybe next time my compact goes flying, this one won't bust into smitherenes. UPDATE: For the 1st time in years, my face has broken out all over! This is the only thing I've changed, so it's going back to the store. I think I may try Philosophy next.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2008 3:07:00 AM More reviews by deebeedee

Coming off a MAC Studiofix 5-yr binge, I wanted to try something else but was reluctant because I know how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to look for a new foundation. As you grow older, and hormonal changes take place, your skin also changes accordingly. I used to have a very oily T-zone as a teenager and would break out often, but as an adult, I have my PMS pimple, and my T-zone matted up a bit. Studiofix was not doing it for me anymore because I would notice the powder/found. caking up in odd places like the middle of my forehead, on my upper lip, etc. at the end of the day.

I must have visited Sephora 20 times in a month trying on different powders like Stila, BECCA, Benefit, Sue Devitt, Smashbox, but I stopped looking when I found Nars in St. Tropez (I was using Studiofix C35/40 - Yellow with Olive undertones).

The best way to look for a new product is to read the back label. I noticed this one had Nylon-12, which is responsible for it's silkiness and elasticity when applied on fine lines and wrinkles--this means it's not going to cake up like Studiofix does and accentuate your pores, wrinkles, etc. It is light/medium buildable coverage and I apply it using a brush or sponge (I haven't noticed a big difference with either methods).

PROS - Very natural, classy looking make up. Natural SPF with Titanium Dioxide at 6.6%. Great shade (for me anyway). Chic looking compact that feels nice to the touch. Sometimes, I apply this alone without a base or primer. I hardly have to touch up or blot my face, maybe not more than once a day if at all.

CONS - A bit too pricey, but then again, it doesn't look like cheap make up. I have to use Nars Concealer in Ginger for dark circles, redness around my nose. It's a bit too bulky to carry inside my cosmetic bag. You have to moisturize your dry skin to avoid flakes (but that's a good thing right?)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2007 2:29:00 AM More reviews by laurenmt

I thought the color was a little too dark for me (Sedona) but lo and behold, it seemed to adjust fine to my combo skin to just my color. I liked this foundation Powder because I can refill it, and I wanted to see how well it compared to my Laura Mercier, and it was actually almost the same in coverage when I used my kabuki brush. But all in all, just like Studio Fix, and all the other great coverage powders, this one made me break out after a couple days...back to Nordie's I go...;-(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2007 12:52:00 PM More reviews by sooyoungkim

It's very possible that I just don't like powder foundations as I've tried Shiseido, Studio Fix and Chanel's DPC and now the Nars and all left my skin looking a little too matte and chalky and made my pores, which I'd never noticed before, rather prominent. This latter effect was worse when I tried applying with a brush. I should add that I don't get this effect with Laguna, which I use as all-over color. I still love the idea of a powder foundation and will keep looking...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2007 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Baby_Brown_Eyes

I got this in Fiji at sephora after trying it in other colors and I am in love. This gets rid of shine without making me look dead, also I found that this not only doesn't crease but seems to ERASE these drylines I get on my forehead. What I love about this the most (and the reason why I got it) is that this completly evens out my skin tone and since I am always in a rush I can put this on when I get to school, no more trying to set 10 minutes aside in the morning for makeup! The compact is wonderful, at first I was put off that this costs an extra 10 bucks with the compact but the compact is worth a good 20 alone for me, it is very versatile and most importantly prevents the powder from breaking up into a million pieces and looks so stylish! ONE LAST THING is that even though I didn't run out of this yet I popped out the pan with a paper clip to see how big the whole thing is and I know this will last at least 4 months even though I use it every day, if you wanna see yourself, the pan pops back in and it has a little sticky thing inside to keep the pan in. over all a wonderful wonderful product, my new HOLY GRAIL

UPDATE: Actually I have realized this is exactly the same as my 4 dollar J.a.n.e. Powder.... I returned it for a full cash refund..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 2:10:00 AM More reviews by aamna_601

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After having tried many powders, I must say this one has the best coverage, color, and finish. MAC, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Laura Mercier, Shiseido, Clinique, etc. have not worked out for me at all, the only other powder I use is Erno laszlo but it is a light milled finishing powder for a dewy glowy look and doesnt last half as long as this powder. I have super oily skin in winter and combination skin in winter. This powder gives a great finish and is perfect over the Nars balanced foundation (I use both products in Santa fe which is a perfect match for my light ethnic pink AND yellow toned skin). It gives a healthy look, masks pores, reduces oiliness (altho the oilies do come back in four hours or so but I can deal with the blotting coz overall the powder is so awesome). It doesnt break me out and the color is perfect. The powder gives the right amount of coverage without looking cakey or mask-like, and can be a foundation or a powder over foundation. LOVE it! Total rave!