Fresh Soy Face Cleanser

Rosa Damascena Flower Water, Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Flower Water, Coco Glucoside, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Peg-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Xanthan Gum, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Germ Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Rose Flower Oil, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Aloe Ferox Leaf Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Peg-40 Sorbitan Peroleate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Methylparaben, Sodium Propylparaben, Polysorbate 20, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Peg-35 Castor Oil, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, BHA, BHT.

on 5/2/2013 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin: oily but gets dehydrated (lack of water, not oil) very easily, sensitive/reactive, clog-prone

I have an ambivalent relationship with Fresh's Soy Face Cleanser. It's kind of pricey for the amount you get, and it contains so many parabens/preservatives. I'm not particularly bothered by parabens. Parabens keep mold, bacteria, etc from growing in products, but this cleanser contains so many of them. I counted at least 11 parabens/preservatives. Why so many??? I always wonder what kind of damage or sensitivity, if any, is caused by long-term usage of products containing parabens. On the other hand, this cleanser is very gentle and does not dehydrate my skin. In fact, it's the only gel cleanser I've tried that rinses clean yet doesn't dry out or irritate my skin nor does it irritate my eyes-- a HUGE plus to me. If it gets in my eyes, it doesn't burn at all.

It has a gel consistency, but it doesn't get very foamy/sudsy. It does have a scent, but it's not an added synthetic fragrance. The scent comes from the natural ingredients. To me it smells like a combination of cucumber and rose. Soy Face Cleanser doesn't break me out, which is surprising because it contains a couple ingredients, specifically ascorbyl palmitate and retinyl palmitate, that tend to block my pores and cause breakouts in other formulations (concealers and creams/lotions). It also contains soybean oil, which can be problematic for some acne-prones, but interestingly it doesn't cause breakouts for me in this cleanser formulation. I definitely recommend giving this cleanser a try if you cannot find a foaming/gel-type cleanser that doesn't strip your skin. Of course, make sure none of the ingredients are problematic for you first. After trying many other cleansers, I always come back to this one.

on 4/29/2013 12:00:00 PM

I just bought a small tube of this at sephora because the girl recommended it. She claimed that she has eczema too but her skin looked perfect, so whatever. I havent been using it too long but so far I have noticed my redness has decreased and it my skin is looking a bit better. After buying it, like many of the reviews state, i realized it has parabens in it and then started to freak out and decided to take it back, but then I thought... what the hell is a paraben anyway?? So, I did some research on such things and found most articles were along the lines of this one:

Then I laughed at myself for being afraid of preservatives when I don't even know what they are or cause. I never wanted to be one of those people who follow the all natural is better trend. But anyway, I wouldn't buy this again i dont think because its way too expensive. It's good, but not performing miracles and not worth $15 for a tiny tube. I will probably just continue my search for my perfect cleanser. A nice basic cleanser, but I'm not paying that much money for something so basic. Hoepfully I can find a better DS cleanser.

on 4/10/2013 1:09:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I got a generous sample tube of this with my Sephora bonus points, and I'm glad I did. I liked it very much in terms of its gel-creme consistency, the gentleness & thorough cleansing. However, I didn't care for the rose scent much (especially for a product used for removing eye makeup) and it's just way overpriced to purchase. I'll stick with my CeraVe foaming cleanser, but I'm glad I got a chance to try this product.

on 3/18/2013 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I am 57 with fairly good skin, but am aging. I got this with a purchase of a Mia, and have to say I love it! No irritation, love the cucumber smell. Doesn't hurt my eyes. I was using Purity, but that started to irritate my skin. For years I used the Murad Resurgence cleanser, and that is still a go to. As for the dispenser, I'd rather see it in a pump. But as it isn't I'm very careful to tilt the tube upwards so that not so much comes out at once. Its not meant to "foam" and that is not an issue for me. Just use it with Mia or Clarisonic and I'm happy!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Thank little baby Jesus for this cleanser! It's my absolute favorite. My skin is typically very dry and I wear a full face of makeup every day for work. Regardless of whatever cleanser I use, I always swipe my face with a makeup removing wipe first--just to get off the first layer, so I'm not pushing tons of makeup deep into my pores. Most cleansers then will either take off the rest of my makeup but also leave me feeling dehydrated and tight, or they're faaaaaar too gentle and barely finish taking off my makeup, let alone truly cleanse. The Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, however, gives me a nice deeply cleansed feeling without any discomfort. It even melts down my mascara without any lash fallout. The scent is pretty strong, but if you don't mind the smell of cucumbers, then you probably won't mind this! Only one lippie off on the quality of packaging because I always try to use a small amount and even with just slight pressure it spits out an excessive amount of product. Regardless, I love it! It's pricey but worth it to me.

on 3/18/2013 11:53:00 AM

some people really love and rave about this facial cleanser, so I purchased this last year. I finished this quite quickly. Within 2 months i would say, which is not long compared to my other face washes. It doesn't lather as much as i would like it to, and I also think it is TOO gentle and I have sensitive skin. I do think that it improved the texture of my skin in becoming smoother.

The price is very steep, but I really wanted to give it a go. Sephora sells a smaller size for $17 CAD as opposed to the original size for about $42 CAD.

on 2/9/2013 1:53:00 AM

This cleanser is really nice. It's gentle like its says, and leaves my face clean. It also takes my makeup right off, even mascara. Pricey though!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to like this product, but it made me break out all over my forehead. This cleanser claims to be gentle but I highly doubt it... it has some nice ingredients but also a lot of nasty ones. My drugstore cleanser works better on my sensitive skin. I'm just glad I bought the small size.

on 1/23/2013 10:15:00 PM

I have pale, sensitive, combination (dry cheeks, oily chin and nose) skin. This works pretty well for me. It's not only not irritating, but I can actually feel it calm my skin. The scent is raw cut cucumber, which may put some people off (because it's not a traditional "clean" or "sweet" scent), but I actually like it. It has a similar consistency to Cetaphil, but without all of the irritating SLS. I also notice that I haven't gotten any large pimples since I started using this. I get a few (1-3) tiny, pin-prick sized pimples near my period, but that's pretty much it. It's not drying, but I still need a moisturizer after. The only "downside" is that it only partially removes makeup, HOWEVER, I'd rather take the extra step than have a cleanser that's too harsh. Overall, I'd say it's my HG.

Update: This slowly irritated and dried out my skin. I prefer First Aid Beaut's cleanser at half the price.

2nd Update: FAB's cleanser didn't work out so well either. I think it might be the aloe that is drying my skin out.

on 1/22/2013 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

At first, I really liked this product. I liked that it foamed up a little bit, (whereas Cetaphil doesn't foam up at all). And I love the soft residue it leaves on my face. It makes my face feel softer and cleaner after using just a dime sized drop. HOWEVER, upon looking this product up at EWG, there are TONS of really BAD ingredients in here including all sorts of paraben and BHA. It's rated a 8/10 for dangerousness. Though I don't get negative skin reactions from these ingredients, I would prefer to stay away from using those ingredients on my face on a daily basis, especially if it costs an arm and a leg for this product. Will definitely not be buying this product again.