DHC Deep Cleansing Oil

4.2

olive fruit oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, pentylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol, stearyl glycyrrhetinate, rosemary leaf oil

I've tried various types of makeup removers and haven't been really happy with what I can find out there. I was reading up online about this product and found it at a local Japanese beauty supply store.

I decided to try it out and was surprised at the simple packaging and low cost. I use the Kiss Me Mascara which can be really hard to take off so I actually use their own eye makeup remover first to help loosen the mascara before applying this product. Then with dry skin, which is the trick to using this product, I rub this into my face and rub it gently over the eyes in circles.

Afterward, I rinse off before using my face wash and let me tell you this stuff really works! My face has never been this clean before after taking off makeup. I would have to use so many cotton pads and makeup remover to take it all off but with one pump from this oil, it works like magic.

I am really happy that I found this product because now I have a reliable makeup remover that actually takes off makeup!

on 3/13/2013 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I wanted to like this product and tried for several weeks to use it for two purposes. One, I hoped that it would help with clogged pores. Two, I hope that it would be a good makeup remover. Unfortunately, this product did not do either of these things. I wear sunscreen and foundation almost every day and need something that will totally remove both. This product removed most of my makeup and sunscreen but even after cleansing with a foaming cleanser, I could run a damp cotton ball over my face and it would not be clean and I could see foundation on it. It clogged me near my hairline, although not badly. In my opinion, if you are looking to remove makeup, Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm is a much better product and did not break me out or clog me at all.

on 3/12/2013 4:10:00 PM

I bought this after becoming a DHC customer for their moisturizer and after reading how great it is to wash your face with oils. I was excited to try this as I'm a big proponent of face/skin health and premature aging.

I found this was great for my occasional dry skin (especially this winter) when it came time for washing. It was also great, obviously with removing makeup. However, my face felt dirty, greasy like. My pores felt clogged. I felt like I had a film of oil on my face. I did totally rinse it off, so I know they wasn't the issue. I found myself washing my face again to remove this feeling.

I used the product up best I could but as a makeup remove mostly just so it wouldn't go to waste as it wasn't cheap.

on 3/12/2013 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

removes makeup extremely well, I will buy again

on 3/10/2013 4:16:00 PM

This is a great product. I used two different methods while trying out this product. One way just as the package states and apply it to dry skin and then rinse with water. I also tried mixing it with water so it turned milky. I preferred the first wa

I think it did a better job although it feels funny to use oil on dry skin. It did cleanse my skin nicely and got all of the oil off. I will definitely purchase more in the future!

on 3/4/2013 3:09:00 PM

This was my first cleansing oil I tried, I wanted to like this product so much but unfortunately it gave me spots :( I know it may sound daft as it is an oil but it smells really oily, the smell reminded me of when I used to work in a kitchen. It's nice how it emulsifiers. I tried the oil on its own and tried it with another cleanser afterwards but both methods caused spots, I tried it over a few months too to see if my skin just needed to get used to it but no improvement :( so in the end I gave it to my cousin to use. This stuff really does get rid of all the make up and cleans pores. I have tried jojoba oil since and it does not break me out.

I have combination skin, dry skin on cheeks and oily tzone.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have used at least 7-8 bottles of this by now. I like this cleansing oil a lot because I think that it clears makeup off my face very well. I pump out 2-3 pumps of the oil on my DRY palm and then rub my palms together. The rubbing of the palms generates some warmth. With both my palms, I rub the oil all over my face. I make it a point to use some pressure when I am rubbing the oil over my face. I incorporate a facial massage whenever I am using this cleansing oil to clean makeup/dirt off my face. I always follow up by using a cleanser to clean whatever is left on my face. At the end of it all, my face feels clean and soft. I recently purchased another 3 bottles of this oil because there was a discount going on. One bottle containing 200 ml of cleansing oil costs SGD42 here in Singapore. The cleansing oil is not cheap but I have repurchased it several times. This is the only cleansing oil which I have used that has prevented the formation of clogged pores. Before using this product, I always used to get clogged pores. This has significantly reduced the number of clogged pores I have. Overall, this has worked very well for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I caved in to the rave of cleansing oil methods, and decided i have nothing to lose. I have combination skin, terribly oily T zone whilst the rest of my face remains dry. I'm sensitive to harsh fragrances and they irritate my skin very quickly. I've been using this product continuously since June 2012.

Pros:
1. No oily residue! I was surprised that my makeup came off so easily and nothing was left behind.
2. No break outs. I usually break out easily if i'm using the wrong makeup or skin care product into tiny pimples that take forever to disappear. But since i;ve been using this (in combination with Paula's choice skin balancing cleanser afterwards) i have not had a single outbreak. Of course every month i get that one huge pimple but that's normal for me.
Tip: Instrunctions on use. I got a friend to translate what's on the bottle and this is how you are meant to use it correctly. Apply one pump (in reality i thought one pump was too much i only used half a pump) into dry hands and cleanse face to remove makeup/oil. There is no water involved at this point, everything is done DRY, until you wash it away with warm water. Then after you rinse, cleanse with normal cleanser and pat dry.

3. A small 120ml version of this lasted me for 4 months! You don't need to use a whole lot to clean.

4. The design of the cleanser is great, pump bottle, easy to dispense and it's not messy.

Cons: As much as i love this product, it is expensive especially if you are trying to purchase online. But it works so well for me, and it has been for so long that i will pay whatever price it comes at.

Conclusion: I will continue to buy this product for a very long time!! I do experiment a lot with cleansers, and once i find something that works i'll stick to it. Hope that helps!

on 2/21/2013 2:28:00 PM

I was very disappointed with this product. I would not recommend to anyone, especially with combination or acne/oil prone skin. I had very high expectations for this product when I first read about it. It was fairly expensive to buy and ship to my house because it is only available in Asia at this time. When I first started using it my skin would feel very clean after using it to take off makeup and then a cleanser after. But after a while I realized it was causing my skin to breakout horribly and become very very oily, more than it has ever been. I immediately stopped using the product and have been without it for a few months now. My skin is just now starting to clear up and go back to normal after a few months.

on 2/19/2013 9:20:00 PM

My skin is extremely sensitive, breakout prone & often gets irritated when using the WRONG skin care products!! I liked the idea of oil cleansing method but this method did not work on my skin at all. I used Shu Uemura's High performance cleansing oil (pink bottle) once. It was very expansive & contains mostly cheap ingredients like mineral oil, silicon fillers & strong fragrance. It burned my skin & gave me rash! I wanted something that would remove my makeup. I did extensive research on various brands of cleansing oil and their ingredients. DHC cleansing oil contains the Least amount of ingredients & NO fragrance. So I decided to give it a try.

Pros:
I give 2 stars for the following reason.
1) It contains very few ingredients so it's less likely to cause skin irritations compare to other brands of cleansing oils that are filled with artificial colors, fragrance, fillers & irritants.
2) It's fragrance free so it's great for sensitive skin.

Cons:
I took off 3 stars for the following reason.
1) Expansive --> This cleansing oil is not affordable considering the ingredients are relatively cheap. At $28 (plus tax & shipping) for 6.7 oz., it should have contained organic olive & rosemary oils.
2) Not available in stores --> This is inconvenient when you have to order it from the DHC's website & it charges more for shipping. I bought a small bottle 2.3 oz. from DHC website to try it. However, if this is the only product of DHC that you love, you can buy it at amazon.com for $27.50 (6.7 oz.) + free shipping!!
3) Causes breakout --> I know there are many great reviews at MakeupAlley regarding how this cleansing oil has helped acne prone skin. Unfortunately, this cleansing oil does the opposite on my skin. It took me a while to figure out this was breaking me out & completely ruined my skin!! I developed cystic acne all over my face with an unattractive looking strawberry nose (very red, swelling + blackheads all over my nose)!! I read reviews on acne.org about oil cleansing method & I wasn't the only one who suffered from severe cystic acne outbreak from cleansing oil!!

Conclusion: I will never purchase this oil again or use any other oil to remove makeup & clean my face. This oil is GREAT FOR Dry, Normal, or Combination skin that are not acne prone. If you have combination, acne prone & sensitive skin like me, you may want to think twice before using cleansing oil. It has been 3 months & my face has cleared up 50%, but I have red acne marks on my face that may take months to years to fade.

Now I use Neutrogena's oil free eye makeup remover on my eyes & part of my face that's covered with makeup. It doesn't cause any irritation or breakout on my skin. It is also a lot cheaper than the Shu Uemura or DHC cleansing oils.