August 30, 2014 | 1159 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by nikki8811

I got a sample size and I was so excited to try this. So it felt nice and silky going on but my makeup looked no different from the days I dont use a primer. soooo not worth 40$ I wouldnt even pay 5$

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 9:54:00 AM More reviews by NewYearsNewBeginnings

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm a huge fan of Smashbox primers - I also own the colour correcting one (purple). This was my first foundation primer and I'm still in love with it. I originally purchased the travel size (25mL) for NZ$25 and at first I thought it's so expensive for such little product. However, I have realized, like makeup, less is more. I use maybe a pea size (or even less) for my face - I only apply to areas that need it rather than just slather it all over my face. It helps the lasting power of my foundations and bb creams.

It has a very silicone-y feel to it, smooth yet.. strange (if you've never tried a primer). I've gotten used to the texture of this primer though and it feels amazing on my skin as it covers all the little pores that I have around my nose area. I don't think it has a scent - maybe a little artificial (like when you unpackage new things) but it's not over powering and doesnt bother me in the slightest.

I use it as a 'spot treatment' of sorts. Mainly to cover the odd noticeable pore rather than my entire face as I don't think it's a 'mask' to hold my foundation. My foundation is to cover my redness/imperfections, my smashbox primer is to give a smooth canvas for my foundation to be applied - hence why i dont need to apply it to my cheeks or forehead as I don't have large/noticeable pores that need to be 'filled in'.

I always use this primer for the special occasions when I need to wear a full face of makeup and I can honestly say it lasts all night until the next day (yes, I've slept in my make up several times and my makeup has been intact when I wake up with minimal transfer).

I haven't finished using my travel size but I've already have a back up of the full sized version (30mL) that my sister purchased for me when she went to the US earlier this year. So yes, I will repurchase (although maybe not in NZ as I cannot justify the NZ$76 price tag; i will buy online instead and don't mind paying US$36 + shipping for it).

There are definitely other primers that are cheaper and probably do the same (so far, only L'Oreal's magic perfecting base has become my second favourite - but at NZ$30-50 something for 15mL, I'd rather spend a little more on the full sized Smashbox.)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by Sianxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am glad that I got a sample of this primer before buying it. The texture of this primer feels nice when applying it to your face. The first hour it makes your make up look amazing and very flawless, but as the day goes on when I looked in the mirror closely I could see my foundation clumping up in to small pieces all over my face especially on my nose and chin. It also made my face look very shiney. I wouldn't buy this product because it is very expensive for something that only looks good for a few hours. I'm pretty sure this primer doesn't claim that it is meant to make your make up last longer?? I do recommend that you get a sample of this before buying it as everyone is different. Also the exact same result happens to me with the smash box photo finish 'light' primer (which is a creamy version).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by lizrocks8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this primer for 2 years. It does not neutralise redness as it claims to but does leave your skin leaving extremely smooth and makes foundation appear flawless.
I preferred the old pump bottle to the tube - it had more product in it and the pump allowed you to get every last drop. When I've almost used up the tube I always have to cut it in half and scrape the remains out.
I have oily skin but this does not break me out. You only need a tiny pea sized amount for your entire face. If you use too much, the product will roll up into little balls as you rub it in and you will feel very greasy.
The price is definitely too extreme for such a tiny amount of product although it can last up to 4 months.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Jhe9488

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This feels nice on my skin and makes my foundation easier to apply. However, it really does not make my make-up last any longer.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2013 6:51:00 AM More reviews by Efeemck

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Makes no difference to your makeups staying power. Don't waste your money

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by FinnyB

Oh my god HOW is this so popular I'll never know!
I was so excited to buy this but thankfully only bought the travel size.

I used this first with ELDW and within half an hour my skin started looking and feeling all greasy and horrible, this never happened with either of my Gosh primers or my Catrice one.
I really wanted to give this a chance so tried it again with Bourjous Healthy Mix and again, almost instantly my skin was begging me to remove this awful product!!
Not one to give in too easily, I tried it again with ELDW (a foundation which has NEVER let me down) and yet again my skin became slimy and shiny. Yuck!!!

Please try get a sample first!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by CKHerrera

Pointless and useless! Didn't even notice a difference from wearing this. If anything my face got more oily and made my make up literally sweat off my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by 77pink

Hate! Made my foundation look heavy and settle in my fine lines. I barely have any lines but this primer helped the foundation find them. Also made my skin break out badly. Will never use again. Not for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by FireyHeart

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

What's the hype? I see no difference in my makeup whatsoever with or without this and it broke me out even in places I don't usually break out in! I guess this primer is just not for me.

Price: Ridiculously expensive. About forty dollars for a full sized bottle (1 fluid ounce) and seventeen dollars for a travel sized one (.4 fluid ounce). I bought the travel sized one for about eight or nine dollars while it was on sale at Nordstrom Rack. Still too expensive. I had really high hopes that it would control my oily t-zone and help my makeup last longer. It did neither of those for me.

Formula: Silicone based with a "slip" feel. When I first heard about face primers, I initially thought that they were supposed to be like eyeshadow primers. You know, something for your makeup to stick to, but whatever. It has a weird petro-chemical scent which I am not bothered too much by, but some people will be.

Performance: I really hoped that it could do what so many people hyped about. Sadly, it didn't do any of those for me. I applied a pea sized amount to my entire face and applied my foundation and powder afterwards. I saw no significant difference in coverage. As the day progressed, I actually got even oilier and even quicker than without it. I looked into the mirror. Were those white heads I saw? I ignored them. By the end of the day, I had four huge pimples in places I don't even break out in. After not using it for a while, I used it again in hopes that maybe the first time was just a fluke. Nope. Same results. I ended up with white heads that would have turned into major zits if it weren't for me taking it off right away.

This primer may be someone's treasure, but it's my trash. I'm so glad I didn't pay full price. I'm not sure about other silicone based primers and non-silicone based primers seem to be just like moisturizers in my case, (Benefit's Porefessional primer seems pretty good and I might give primers another chance sometime) but this primer is just not for me. I don't know who I should recommend this to, because everyone's skin and needs are just so different, but I will definately not repurchase this.