November 22, 2014 | 933 users online

Fragrances - Dolce & Gabbana - Light Blue

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 6:47:00 AM More reviews by delectante

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is, hands down, my favorite perfume! I smelled it for the very first time on a classmate of mine during a linguistics class in college about two and a half years ago. Yes, I am late to the Light Blue party. Oh well. Each day, there was this lovely, refreshing lemon scent that made the New Haven winter seem less harsh, the air less cold, the sun shine warmer, the snow glitter livelier. I looked forward to going to class because of this wonderful fragrance that wafted from the girl to my right. Toward the end of the semester, I just had to ask what she was wearing. Light Blue by Dolce&Gabbana! Light Blue? Why is it called that? She explained it was because of the light blue velvety box in which the perfume was packaged (or something).

Upon receiving all these details, I rushed to Sephora to sample this entrancing Light Blue. The one spritz on my wrist lasted for eight hours, and it seemed that for most of the time, I held my wrist up to my nose, never wanting to miss a moment of this fragrance. It reminded me of lemon orchards and laundry hanging out to dry under a cerulean sky, of white flowers strewn all over a Mediterranean beach, of water and wind dancing an ancient waltz at the edge of the world It was the smell of sunshine mingling with the foam-tipped waves of the ocean. I was besotted and am still am.

A modern classic, Light Blue is perfect. No, I care not a fig about its mass popularity nor its persistent dominance in global perfume sales. I do not care what you call it: anorexic aquatic, anemic ozonic, toilet cleanser, or furniture polish. It is too happy and energetic and full of laughter to matter. I love it, right down to its soft fuzzy box that I caress just for the hell of it! Plus, I sincerely think that every woman (or man) wears Light Blue differently because a part of their personality inflects the scent somehow, skin chemistry aside. If you are a calm, analytical person, then those cool watery notes from the bamboo and citron show themselves more. If you are a smiling, cheerful person, then the apple and rose stand out more; and if you are a warm, caring/affectionate person, then jasmine and amber appear in the forefront. Light Blue just has something, and far be it from me to begrudge what seems to be eighty-seven percent of the female population from having the same. I adore Shalimar and think Poison is pretty awesome, but I am always going to have a bottle, if not candles and body care products, of Light Blue with me. No matter what season or time of day or occasion, with two sprays to each side of my collar bone, and a spray below the hollow of my neck, I feel like an angel flying in the spindrift of the sea for the countless hours the fragrance lasts on my skin, hair, and clothes.

That being said, Light Blue is notorious for having a number of sophisticated fakes floating around Ebay and other online discounters (and very likely independent perfume shops/kiosks), which is why some people can not stomach the unnatural citrus smell nor tolerate the short lasting power I suspect. That is not the real Light Blue. I had both a fake and a genuine product to compare. Especially, if you buy it online, where it is admittedly cheaper, please be careful. It is worth experiencing the real thing but not dismissing it because of the sour lemon water that some guy, whose neck I could wring, poured into an actual Light Blue bottle and then placed inside an actual box. This faintly sweet and airy fragrance with a hint of powder is simultaneously warm and cool and lasts just short of forever. Notes: citron, apple, bluebell, white rose, jasmine, bamboo, amber, musk, cedar.

If dreams had a scent, I imagine they would be perfumed with Light Blue, but I am biased. I would wear Light Blue till I die. If you made it here, thanks for reading this long review-reverie!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by chabelita17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite scents. It's very non-aggressive and citrusy which is the kind I like. Most people like it because it's not too strong, musky or powdery. That's the problem though, because practically everyone likes it so I smell it everywhere. So much for a signature scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2012 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Jennbabbles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

the only reason im saying that i wont rebuy this perfume is b/c i already have a large bottle that i doubt i will ever use up and when i wear this perfume it seems like everyone knows what i am wearing. you only need one spray when it comes to this perfume. it has a very strong scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by jdmcgi2

I first smelled this stuff years ago when everyone was going crazy for it and hated it....thought it smelled like bug spray. I decided to give it another try last year and now it's my favorite perfume! It's so clean and crisp yet still kind of seductive...can't figure out why I didn't like it before because it definetly doesn't smell like bug spray. Men seem to love it as well. My boyfriend begs me to wear it he likes it so much.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by nightinggale07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nice clean smell. As others have said, the staying power is lacking. You can purchase a pretty close, much less expensive dupe of this at Victoria's Secret. Pink Fresh and Clean is almost exactly like this at a fraction of the cost.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by loiseva1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Well.. I'm stumped ... I can't figure out why people love this fragrance so much, all it smells like to me is lemons.. that's it, no sweetness, no wonderful hidden notes waiting to arrive after it settles into my skin.. just lemons. I don't find it offensive or horrible, I just find it boring and I could cut a lemon in half and rub it on my wrist for free if I wanted to smell like Light Blue .. obviously people do love it, I just don't know why. Also it has no staying power and was almost gone from my wrist within the hour of spraying it. If you like citrus, light, and "worn off in the hour" scents then give this a go. If you like something complex, sexy and deep with layers of different notes... don't bother with this one

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by manniblank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this just now. I've been wanting to sample this for a while after reading reviews and hearing people compare Light Blue to Incanto Charms, which is a perfume I own and enjoy. My first impression was that it smelled of light lemon, very powdery, lemony, citrus. Crisp to the point of it being androgynous. All things I do not like in a perfume. I wondered where I smelled this product before them it hit me. Lemon Alka-Seltzer. Extremely overpowering with the lemon smell and just did not smell like a perfume. As it dried down all I smell is non distinguishable flowers and chemicals. Slightly sweet but more masculine than anything else. Also, I definitely would not pay the $70 price tag for this lemon medicine. I really wanted to like this but all it does is make me gag.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by Kat308

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the smell, but as others have said -doesn't last very long. A lot to pay for just a few hours. I picked mine up at Walgreens. I don't know if they make a perfume, might try that if they do.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Stacey74

For me, this perfume had zero staying power. It seems like within minutes, it was gone. For the short amount of time I could smell it, I loved it - light, citrusy, crisp....too expensive to act like body spray for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 6:11:00 PM More reviews by viennah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a classic. A perfect sweet lemony citrus, a great pick-me-up. The staying power is unreal, it will stay in your clothes until the next wash, all of my winter scarves smell like light blue just from putting them around my neck after putting on this perfume!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No