Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

I keep coming back to this, but it's a tricky one. It's so strong there is a fine line between great and nauseating. This can be manged through creative application. I spray once over my body (in underwear) in a swoop and it lasts all day. Sprayed right out of the shower works, too.
That takes care of the cons.
The pros are that this fragarance is unique and simply beautiful; balanced between sweet and sharp, floral and herbal/chypre. I continually get compliments when wearing this. The body smoother is wonderful, true to the fragrance and when applied on arms or shoulders is a softer way to wear this scent. The spray device allows for control to apply a mini-spritz. The bottle is attractive and is easy to handle. The price is well within reason for a quality fragrance.
This is one scent that makes me happy just to smell it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

i love this. great sillage. longest lasting fragrance ive ever used. smells like fall/winter. woods and fire place and also new york city all in one. smells like the 1970s to me. i just love it and wear it and appreciate it. have owned many bottles of it in my life. strong, bold, winter-y, and sophisticated. love.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

How opinions can change! The first time I encountered this fragrance - in my early twenties - I thought it was vile! I received it as a sample with other Clinique cosmetics. My intitial reaction was that this smelt like fly spray, it made my eyes water and filled my nose up like Vicks rub... Not the best of starts... A few years on, and ready to give things a second chance, I have really fallen for this perfume. it is definitely floral, but floral with clout.

This is no saccarine sweet girly floral but one that needs to be perservered with a little to let it settle. It is certainly unique and instantly recognisable with a real presence about it. This is no shy and retiring scent but something of a bombshell. This is certainly not a perfume you need or would want to douse yourself in. I find it works best when misted on the wrists. Anymore and you'll have people complaining of headaches and allergies - you might even have one yourself! (Not to put anyone off!)

It is a clean fragrance that nearly reminds me a little of the herbal smell of certain natural cold remedies, however it eventually settles into a lovely warm fragrance that has heads and noses turning (in a good way!). A good example of an acquired taste but a very fine fragrance and wirth spending the time with. Maybe that's what it is - floral and herbal. is there such a thing as a 'herbal' family in perfumes?

On my list of 2012 of perfumes to buy!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I have a few of these laying around the house. The fragrance is so strong it can peel paint. I would never put it on my body but have used it to repel strong room odors..lol.

I usually use this when my husband cooks cabbage!

pewwww

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I give this fragrance 3 lippies for originality--and for the fact that women who wear it well, wear it VERY well. I have known two women for whom this was a signature fragrance, and they rocked the classic AE chypre sillage: haunting, dry, and woodsy, leaving the recipient wanting more.

However: I have never found any form of this that I can comfortably wear without getting a splitting headache. My skin can't get past the opening blast of aldehydes (reminiscent of Lysol or toothache medicine) and the middle notes of funky, semi-fecal jasmine and chamomile. I've tried walking through a tiny bit of spray; decanting the spray into a roll-on; wearing just the lotion; cutting down the amount again and again; it just doesn't matter. I can't seem to get to the delicious basenotes, I just get hours of nausea and the desire to scrub every inch of myself.

So, I am left with a deep respect for this distinctive classic, which is a masterpiece on the right person, but I rank it among the most difficult-to-wear fragrances ever.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This perfume is overly powdery and sweet. My aunt wears this and it leaves a smelly trail wherever she goes.

wow, this smells nasty to me! i need to go wash it off! too musky; i like fruity scents.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I like this ...on other people. On me it loses the interesting herbal medicinal smell that I like and just ramps up the sweetness until I smell like a box of Turkish Delight. So sweet it sets my teeth on edge!
Gave my bottle away to a good friend so that I could enjoy the fragrance on her. Win/win situation.

I picked up a bottle of this at a thrift store. I remembered trying it in a store years ago but couldn't remember if I liked it. It's wonderful on my skin, a herbaceous, spicy scent. It smells like a walk near a stream, green and soothing to me. There is a floral in it, rose maybe, adds some sweetness to it. It is potent, sillage is good and lasts forever so moderation is advised.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I guess the general consensus with this one (or any perfume for that matter) is you either love it or hate it. Perfumes are so subjective in that what smells great on someone might smell terrible on another. For me, I belong in the "I don't care for it" camp. To me, it smelled too much like an old lady in the woods. I actually like woodsy perfume but this one has that sort of chemical undertones to it that takes away from the oriental, woodsy scent. It's a bit overpowering at first and almost reminds me of Opium but then settles down after a couple of hours. I gave this one to my mom and surprise, it smells great on her so that just proves the old adage that your own chemistry has a lot to do with how a perfume turns out. I gave it 3 lippies because I love the bottle but that's about it.

Popular Fragrances