December 21, 2014 | 1819 users online

Treatments - Neutrogena - Instant Nail Enhancer [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2005 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Baptista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a very cool concept, but I'm not sure that it really works for me. I find that after I shower it comes off unevenly and makes the nails look streaky.

I've also had the gummy peeling problem, even with lighter coats. Not much sticks to my nails though and chipping and peeling is always a problem for me.

My main complaint is the quality of the brush -- I know it's an awkward thing to design, but mine often gets stuck in the 'on' flow position and I get too much, but on the rare occasion that not much comes out, the hole in the middle of the bristles makes the bristles lie oddly and I don't always get a smooth stroke.

The main reason though that I wouldn't repurchase this is that after my encounter with the Healthy Skin Enhancer, I don't want anything to do with Neutrogena, otherwise I might consider repurchasing, but I have no huge desire to run out and get more.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2005 11:11:00 AM More reviews by chgoeditor

I love this stuff! Neutrogena Instant Nail Enhancer comes in a wand-like tube with a built-in brush. You just paint it on your nails and it dries almost instantly (in 30-45 seconds). The end-results are nails with a very light sheen...it looks like you have very healthy nails that you've buffed so they're glossy. No need to use nail polish remover (which we all know can dry out our nails), because after a couple days, the Instant Nail Enhancer will simply wear off on its own. But don't worry...it's so subtle as it wears off that you won't notice it (none of that flakey nail polish look). Or, just apply a new coat every day or two.

Neutrogena advertises Instant Nail Enhancer as containing vitamins and other ingredients that will strengthen the nails. I admit that I don't use it frequently enough to know whether it's actually done this. But I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to wear colored polish on my fingers, so I absolutely love this product.

Some reviewers report that Neutrogena Instant Nail Enhancer gets gummy, or peels and flakes. I've found that only to be a problem if I apply it too thickly, or apply it too frequently. You don't want to squeeze the applicator too much...a light coat of the Instant Nail Enhancer goes a long way.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2005 2:57:00 AM More reviews by BluegrassBabe

A little early for me to claim much improvement in my nails, but already, after one weeks use I do see small changes. I love the way my nails look while it's on, and my cuticles and the area around my nails looks WAY improved. a thumbs up for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2005 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Sarmouse

I think this is a great idea and I love it. It is a nail enhancer so it just makes your nails look better and isn't really a nail polish. I like how easy it is to put on your nails just a quick swipe and the clear coat goes on. It makes my nails look healthy and shiny. I'm not sure if it really helps increase your nail's strength or makes them grower faster but it looks nice on. Pretty cheap and it lasts a while but when I finish I will buy another in the pearl this time instead of the buff.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2005 1:42:00 PM More reviews by lalabalakala

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a wonderful product! It takes me about 30 seconds for both hands.
Put on a light coat, don't glop it on. My nails have gotten stronger and
longer. Leaves a very pretty, natural sheen ( I use the Pearl flavor).
I always have problems with regular nail polish chipping and peeling.
(I'm in the ocean alot). I went swimming in the ocean with this stuff on and
it stayed all thru the swim - my nails had a pretty pretty glow ! (Of course,
it didn't last thru digging in the sand with my little boy - nothing does)
This is a fabulous product! Touch ups are faster than lipstick. And I don't have to deal with that nasty stinky polish remover anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2005 1:11:00 PM More reviews by yogafit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product did exactly what I wanted it to. I don't have the time or money to get regular manicures (at the salon or at home), so I just wanted my nails to look neat and well-kept. This does that. I haven't had any problems with gumminess or coming off unevenly, but I do have the buff, so maybe that's why. I would definitely buy again. It dries fast and looks neat, but if you're looking for a "real" polish, this isn't it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2005 3:09:00 PM More reviews by PJBX

Ive read a lot of favorable reviews in magazines about this. I tried it when it was first released. I tried my hardest to love it. It is easy, spill proof, and gives your nails a healthy, pearly sheen. But a day after I applied,it began wearing off and taking layers of nail with it! It took weeks for my nail beds to return to normal! My nails were peeling and splitting--and now incredibly thin and weak!! At first, I thought that maybe stress or diet contributed to the reaction, so a few months later, I gave it another try! The same reaction, so I slam dunked it , straight into the garbage can!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2005 7:56:00 PM More reviews by MaggieRox

I don't know why this would get such a low rating because this stuff absolutely rocks! It's so easy to use. I love the squeeze tube thingy, it is so much easier and portable than a traditional nail polish bottle. I don't have to worry about it spilling and when I'm bored (which happens a lot by the way) I can just grab it and play with it! It is sooo great! I got this with a moisture shine lip gloss bonus pack and it has kept my nails healthy and gorgeous! My nails are just so much stronger now because of this stuff and I odn't have to worry about my nails cracking and spliting and looking all dull either! The only problem is that I can't seem to find this in Canada...I got this while I was in the States during the summer....oo well, I'll just get this in a few months when I go back

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2005 7:15:00 PM More reviews by pkuyken

I think those who had trouble earlier with this product should give it a second try. I bought it last week in the buff and it applies perfectly and I just add a new coat everymorning.

It dries nicely and lasts all day till a scrub it off in the shower. I think it is great for those of us that only wash our hands a few times for our own personal hygiene during the day, but if you work in a profession that reguires serious hand washing (doctor, nurse, hairdresser) I don't think it will work.

Definite a regular routine product for me!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2005 12:55:00 AM More reviews by marbella

I was excited to buy this product when I found it--I will give it a rating of 2 for the idea of "polish" that eventually wears off, is quick drying, and easy to apply. However, it didn't really work like that. It was very easy to apply (but, like other MUAers said, after the first use you really have to squeeze that bottle), it did dry quickly and had no real smell. My nails looked great and natural--that is, until I took a shower. When your nails hit water with this stuff, it peels off and so it is half on/half off. I will not be repurchasing until I hear that Neutrogena has improved the formula.