July 31, 2014 | 1925 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Garden Tomato Complexion Soap ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2006 1:07:00 PM More reviews by kittenheels911

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i love this soap! my skin has been an issue lately with breakouts on my forehead. i started using this soap at the suggestion of a friend who loved it. i use it in the morning and the evening, followed by an oil free moisturizer. i also use Differin gel on my problem areas at night. maybe it's the Differin but i really think this soap has made a huge difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2005 12:11:00 AM More reviews by vickynoodle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this soap! It wasn't drying but it was still effective on oily skin, and gentle too. I haven't purchased this product in a while, so I don't know if anything has changed about it, but my only complaint is that the bar was on the small side for the price. I wash my face frequently throughout the day, so it was used up quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2005 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Sparkle76

Smells very, very tomato - great for morning showers. Leaves my skin clean and a bit tight feeling, (not good for sensitive days). If you like using soap bar cleansers, then this one isn't bad.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2005 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Elveanare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is somewhere between normal and oily, leaning towards the oily side, and very blemish prone. It has been something I have struggled with for years, and I spend countless dollars at the Dermatologist's office getting once prescription after another to try and combat it. Some things worked slightly, some things not at all, but in the end I had had put some many chemicals on my face, and taken so many antibiotics, I finally said enough. I then went to my local natural food store, where I saw this soap. Needless to say, it came home with me.

I had never been big on the idea of bar soap for my face, but considering I was giving up all my Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid, I wasn't beyond the point of letting the solid instead of liquid for stop me.

Personally, I love the smell of this soap. It smells so fresh, more like a tomato plant than an actual tomato, and I found it refreshing. After using it, I found that my face felt clean, and not over dried. I did not start using a moisturizer with it until a few weeks ago and I started using Burt's Tomato Soap in the summer. I noticed the next day that my face simply felt better--it was smoother and looked and felt much healthier. The scars from an extremely bad stress-related breakout I had earlier that summer even began to soften, and I had, at that point, been using nothing other than the soap. While I was extremely happy with the soap, it wasn't perfect. I noticed that while I had preciously been getting large more cyst style blemishes, I started to get tiny white heads a few days after starting this soap. I then added a toner (though not the Garden Tomato one Burt sells to go with this soap, I got a sample of a C.O. Bigelow toner that I used) and an started to exfoliate (also not with one of Burt's products), and the whiteheads disappeared.

Now, months after I started using this soap, I'm still happy with it. It hasn't made my skin 100% clear, but its doing a better job than any Proactive type produce or Dermatologistís prescriptions, and its almost completely natural. Now, as winter comes, I am noticing that my face is a bit dryer, but I'm not surprised considering I live in Maine, but I like this soap so much I am trying to simply find a moisturizer than works instead of giving it up for something milder! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2005 7:11:00 PM More reviews by honeystix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This soap is simple and good. It doesn't irritate, but gets rid of grease and makeup, and helps wash away sunsblock. I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2005 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Heathertf

Very nice soap. I don't find it to be too oily.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2005 4:45:00 PM More reviews by KittyScritches

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After using it for only 3 days my acne has already started clearing up. I love this stuff! My skin has been much less oily since switching to this soap.. I'm almost becoming addicted to the scent too. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2005 8:22:00 AM More reviews by dumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh dear, a big disppointment for me- I was expecting great things from this little soap. I have to say it in no way compares to my Ahava soap in terms of improving my problem skin. It isn't a bad soap just isn't effective. I have gotten use to the pungent tomato smell but I find when I use the tomato toner it seems to pick up a lot of filth on the cotton pad, I'm mystified as I pre cleanse with Jojoba oil, why after using a soap & wash cloth is my face still dirty? As a general morning-cleanser it is ok but nothing special- I'm sorry I strayed from Ahava and bought 4 bars of this middling soap!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2005 11:59:00 AM More reviews by laprescott

I enthusiastically purchased this soap after reading reviews here. However, it made my skin break out worse than it has in a long time. The reviews that mention the residue are correct - it feels like it leaves a film on your skin when you wash your face at the sink. In the shower it's OK, but I also used it on my chest and broke out there as well. I used the Garden Tomato Toner in conjunction with it and that helped with the residue but not the breakouts. I will be tossing this bar of soap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2005 6:23:00 PM More reviews by stanzi

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This could be a holy grail cleanser for me. I hesitated about buying it for ages, because of some negative reviews here, and because the price seemed a little high. Now I regret waiting to use this lovely soap! I have oily skin which is still somewhat quirkily sensitive (bad reactions to AHA-BHA acids, etc.), plus frequent mild breakouts. I've been using LUSH Coalface for the past couple of years, but it's gotten so expensive that I started looking for a replacement. This soap is actually very economical, because one bar lasts for *months* if I use it once every evening. (I have a different cleanser for the a.m.) I love the soft lather, the fresh scent of tomatoes and tomato leaves, and the clean-but-not-stripped feeling that it gives my face. I might have had a slight breakout when I first started using it, but I find that happens with most new products. Skin needs time to adjust! **EDITED TO ADD: A year later, this is still my favorite facial cleanser. Very highly recommended!