April 17, 2014 | 1013 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Garden Tomato Complexion Soap ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2006 10:46:00 AM More reviews by ashersmom

I have slightly oily, sensitive, break-out prone skin. After reading many glowing reviews of this soap, I tried it. Three weeks later, I can safely say...it has done nothing for my skin. If anything, it's aggravated it and made my skin worse. Usually when I'm in the middle of my menstrual cycle my skin looks great. But while using this soap, my skin just got worse.

It's possible that it's so drying that my skin upped its oil production. I did notice my skin was oilier come midday while i was using this soap.

It has a lovely scent, though, and while i'm kicking myself for buying the large bar, I'll probably use it in the shower or bath, it smells that nice. And it did clean my skin, but I think it stripped it. I may try the Wild Lettuce soap for dry skin and see if that works.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2006 1:07:00 PM More reviews by kittenheels911

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i love this soap! my skin has been an issue lately with breakouts on my forehead. i started using this soap at the suggestion of a friend who loved it. i use it in the morning and the evening, followed by an oil free moisturizer. i also use Differin gel on my problem areas at night. maybe it's the Differin but i really think this soap has made a huge difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2005 12:11:00 AM More reviews by vickynoodle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this soap! It wasn't drying but it was still effective on oily skin, and gentle too. I haven't purchased this product in a while, so I don't know if anything has changed about it, but my only complaint is that the bar was on the small side for the price. I wash my face frequently throughout the day, so it was used up quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2005 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Sparkle76

Smells very, very tomato - great for morning showers. Leaves my skin clean and a bit tight feeling, (not good for sensitive days). If you like using soap bar cleansers, then this one isn't bad.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2005 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Elveanare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is somewhere between normal and oily, leaning towards the oily side, and very blemish prone. It has been something I have struggled with for years, and I spend countless dollars at the Dermatologist's office getting once prescription after another to try and combat it. Some things worked slightly, some things not at all, but in the end I had had put some many chemicals on my face, and taken so many antibiotics, I finally said enough. I then went to my local natural food store, where I saw this soap. Needless to say, it came home with me.

I had never been big on the idea of bar soap for my face, but considering I was giving up all my Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid, I wasn't beyond the point of letting the solid instead of liquid for stop me.

Personally, I love the smell of this soap. It smells so fresh, more like a tomato plant than an actual tomato, and I found it refreshing. After using it, I found that my face felt clean, and not over dried. I did not start using a moisturizer with it until a few weeks ago and I started using Burt's Tomato Soap in the summer. I noticed the next day that my face simply felt better--it was smoother and looked and felt much healthier. The scars from an extremely bad stress-related breakout I had earlier that summer even began to soften, and I had, at that point, been using nothing other than the soap. While I was extremely happy with the soap, it wasn't perfect. I noticed that while I had preciously been getting large more cyst style blemishes, I started to get tiny white heads a few days after starting this soap. I then added a toner (though not the Garden Tomato one Burt sells to go with this soap, I got a sample of a C.O. Bigelow toner that I used) and an started to exfoliate (also not with one of Burt's products), and the whiteheads disappeared.

Now, months after I started using this soap, I'm still happy with it. It hasn't made my skin 100% clear, but its doing a better job than any Proactive type produce or Dermatologistís prescriptions, and its almost completely natural. Now, as winter comes, I am noticing that my face is a bit dryer, but I'm not surprised considering I live in Maine, but I like this soap so much I am trying to simply find a moisturizer than works instead of giving it up for something milder! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2005 7:11:00 PM More reviews by honeystix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This soap is simple and good. It doesn't irritate, but gets rid of grease and makeup, and helps wash away sunsblock. I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2005 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Heathertf

Very nice soap. I don't find it to be too oily.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2005 4:45:00 PM More reviews by KittyScritches

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After using it for only 3 days my acne has already started clearing up. I love this stuff! My skin has been much less oily since switching to this soap.. I'm almost becoming addicted to the scent too. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2005 8:22:00 AM More reviews by dumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh dear, a big disppointment for me- I was expecting great things from this little soap. I have to say it in no way compares to my Ahava soap in terms of improving my problem skin. It isn't a bad soap just isn't effective. I have gotten use to the pungent tomato smell but I find when I use the tomato toner it seems to pick up a lot of filth on the cotton pad, I'm mystified as I pre cleanse with Jojoba oil, why after using a soap & wash cloth is my face still dirty? As a general morning-cleanser it is ok but nothing special- I'm sorry I strayed from Ahava and bought 4 bars of this middling soap!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2005 11:59:00 AM More reviews by laprescott

I enthusiastically purchased this soap after reading reviews here. However, it made my skin break out worse than it has in a long time. The reviews that mention the residue are correct - it feels like it leaves a film on your skin when you wash your face at the sink. In the shower it's OK, but I also used it on my chest and broke out there as well. I used the Garden Tomato Toner in conjunction with it and that helped with the residue but not the breakouts. I will be tossing this bar of soap.