October 21, 2014 | 1002 users online

Foundations - Philosophy - the supernatural airbrush canvas

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2008 8:37:00 PM More reviews by as8566

I just bought this a few days ago. I had been using Bare escentuals in fair/fairly light for 2 years and I loved it. One day it came to me that all that tapping and swirling stirred up the loose powder and I had been breathing this into my lungs. Titanium dioxide is not good for your lungs and daily exposure over years is really not good in my opinion.

For health reasons I have up BE. I tried liquid foundation and sheer tinted foundation. I just couldn't go back after being so happy with powder foundation. Pressed powder looked too cakey on my face.

It seemed the application system of supernatural airbrush was perfect for me. The powder is not stirred up as much and I still get the benefits of loose powder foundation. I haven't quite decided if I love this however. The coverage is extremely light. Much lighter than BE. I have very fair skin and the Natural shade barely shows up on my skin. You must use extra concealer to take care of any red spots. That being said, the powder does seem to melt or blend right into the skin. It doesn't leave my oily skin too oily or dry at the end of the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2008 8:41:00 PM More reviews by claireknowles

This is the best product I've tried in some time. I had no expectations about how it would work and in fact, thought it might make me look wrinkly and cakey. I've been applying either Philosophy's Present Clear or Supernatural Poreless Flawless primers, then finishing with The Supernatural Airbrush Canvas in Natural, and it looks awesome, more perfect that any product I've tried. I'm 40, not wrinkly, not too oily or dry, and have a fair complexion (see my photo- I'm wearing only the Airbrush Canvas in natural AND sand). This product provides more than enough coverage for me without having to put on foundation (I don't like full coverage foundation anyway).

rated 1 of 5 on 9/22/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by violeta77uk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Very disappointed. I bought this product with high hopes, but after 1st use I hate this, because it made my skin look extremely unnatural! I've used just a small amount, but I looked like with a mask of dry powder which has a glow. My all small lines appeared much deeper and I couldnt wait to wash my face. In the morning my skin looked terrible, it caused break outs. Now I'm scared of all 'minerals' in the skincare products.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2008 8:16:00 AM More reviews by shellpurr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a really nice mineral foundation. I tried many, from the cheap (Revlon - full of talc) to BE and wasn't impressed at all.

I like Philosophy - Easy to match colour, nice radiant effect, doesn't sink into lines, SPF, yey!

I get a little shiny in the afternoon, but a quick once over with a paper towel in the bathroom fixes that.

I don't like the applicator, but I use it. It's too much product spillage to open the container properly. Next time, I'll decant it into an old powder container.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2008 5:44:00 PM More reviews by veirs

It's a miracle. I can't explain it. It effortlessly blends, buffs, covers, makes your skin look flawless. Buy it; you won't ever need foundation or powder again. Never comes off, looks greasy, or gets everywhere like liquid foundation. Only downside is now and then getting a little powder grit in your teeth.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by i_darling

Yes, I have bought this over and over again! I love this stuff and just had to update my review! I wrote my original review in 2004 and have included it here, but I wanted to update my results and also comment on the new shade in Porcelain which is a bit misleading as it works perfectly on my NW27 shade skin. It's not terribly light as you might guess from the name but is actually a great light to medium shade for cool ladies with pink undertones. I had previously been using beige but found it a bit too peachy. Here's how I get a perfect result from this product: moisturize and let absorb, then simply gently puff on the product and spread it around with the flocked sponge included on the dispenser. (I change this once a week with the available replacement sponges for sanitary purposes.) To get the 'perfected skin and not wearing MU' look I simply mist with Caudalie Grape Water (or any face mist would do) and then gently press my face with clean hands. That's it! I can do my whole face in about 30 seconds (after moisturizer absorbs). Trust me, that's what a lazy and yet busy person like me needs in the morning. On workdays I usually add concealer (also due to lack of sleep) but I think that's more habit than necessity as this stuff really does offer coverage and on the weekend, I usually skip that step. I've never had a problem with breakouts, dryness, cakiness or anything like that while using this product. No matter what I stray to, I always come back to The Supernatural Airbrushed as my HG MMU choice. I will say however that if you overdo the application, it can go metallic on you due to the light reflection qualities. That's the only caveat so watch out for that on those sleepy mornings! CAN I SAY ONE MORE TIME HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! Thanks Philosophy for this product and the new shade offerings!!! Don't ever, ever stop making it. My original review (2004) and update (2007) follows below:

It took me a long while to come back to Philosophy after they did away with one of my favorite products (the Complete Me foundation). I'm glad that I did though, because this foundation is pretty close to perfect for me. I like the look of a natural, satiny, glowy finish (not too powdery, not too sheer or illuminated or sparkly). This product delivers. It can be easy to puff out a little too much so I just use my fluffy Stila brush to go over it very quickly and remove any excess. The finish is perfect. And the application is sooo much easier than the BE with the swirling, buffing, and multiple jars to open and use. You just pop the top on this one and you're ready to go. The buffer sponge is built-in and EASY to use. The MU itself just sort of melds with my natural skin-tone and looks finished but not over-done or too powdery. I still use a concealer with it for more coverage under the eyes, but application takes a total of less than a minute, which I really appreciate in the mornings. When I'm done, I look put together and natural and, dare I say it, just a wee bit airbrushed. Especially around the larger pores of my T-zone and cheeks around my nose which are tough, tough, tough to combat with a sheer liquid foundation alone. I'm really enjoying this item since I prefer to use less products on my face and this gets the results of liquid foundation and a finishing powder in one fell swoop. For reference, I'm a combo (dry and acne-prone, oily t-zone) medium-light complexion (NW 25-27/I use beige) and this hasn't caused any problems. I've tried BE, Complete Me (old Philosophy product), EM, Jane, UD and Aromaleigh MMU and prefer this one. Great product IMO. 5.18.2007 UPDATE - Have strayed and then come back to this awesome product. Still lovin' it and still recommending it. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:41:00 PM More reviews by alphagal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Terrible Product!

I am a HUGE philosophy fan and wanted to embrace all of their products. The problem is the coloring does not match my skin whatsoever...The fairest color was too white on me and the next shade up looked very 'makeup' and didn't match my coloring either. I am a fair skinned person and have never had this issue. Also the powder did nothing for my face - just blah and dead looking.

very disappointed!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2008 7:52:00 AM More reviews by electrab

This is a powder that comes in a little jar with a spongy puff on top.
It has a SPF of 15 (which is really the clencher for me buying it). I'd been thinking about it for a while, and I finally tried it on at Sephora and got it for myself. I don't usually wear face makeup but this is so easy to apply and looks good so I REALLY like it.

The powder itself has a bit of reflective particles (the 'airbrush' part), and it's easy to apply. Coverage is light but STILL does cover. If you're looking for HEAVY coverage - this is not for you. I DO use it as kind of a setting powder over the concealer I use under my eyes. Everything is smooth and seamless.

I have oily T-zone combination skin and this DOES NOT break me out.
Also, my skin is olive toned, a bit yellow/neutral undertones and I don't notice any 'ashy ness'. I DID however see the weird color clash with my undertones when I tried on the wrong colors (so i suggest you TRY THE COLOR ON IN THE STORE).

The only downfall is that the application/sponge puff kinda grosses me out... I can't see how it's sanitary.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2008 8:50:00 PM More reviews by teenysquirrel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I just sent it(bronze) back to Sephora. Out of all mineral powder makeup, this gave me so much white heads. Yuck! I really really wanted to like it, but I am going back to Jane Iredale pressed powder. This item reminded me of Urban Decay except it didn't have the open/close part.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2008 7:09:00 PM More reviews by Petalofarose

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am a woman of color and tried this product at SEPHORA because philosophy claimed they tested it on women of color and it did NOT ash; they lied. This product makes you look like a corpse if you are woman of color and has yellow undertones.