Sebastian Potion 9

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

on 3/26/2009 8:19:00 AM

Right, just want to comment on previous comments it may help someone. I have used seb potion 9 for years, from what I understand it was taken over by Wella and yes for those that really know this product I would say mainly that the oil content has gone down so it does not put back so well what shampoo has taken out! Potion 9 is still better than most other products of its kind on the market. For those experiencing dryness I would say look at the shampoo you are using, use less of it as many use too much. I have found the sebastian drench shampoo & conditioner to work well with potion 9 for my long wavy hair and would recommend for any hair type. Try it I can tell you it is one of the very best for hair condition and texture DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

On and off I have been using this. I particularly go to it when my hair is damaged. Recently, I went for a trim and she cut off six inches. That was a lot, and now I have to flat iron every day. I am very worred about damage, so I bought this again to leave in because as I grow out my hair, I want it to be in great shape always. It's a good product - it does define my waves so I can leave as is and it looks full an shiny, or I can flat iron and my hair still looks full. My colour seems to like this product and it looks bright with great tone. I remember a hair dresser once remarking how much my hair liked this product and I think it does. My hair does not like protein treatments for some reaso as a rule, but there are a couple of products that are ok as long as I alternate - this is one of them. I always like to have this on hand and I like that it makes my hair look thick and healthy (although not as soft as all-soft leave in!).
EDIT: July 18, 2011 Haven't used it in a while, my hair is so dry and long and nothing was helping. Found it, put in a good dollop and braided it. The next morning, shine and softness which I haven't felt in a while. Still a great item.

on 2/15/2009 2:25:00 PM

i bought this because a friend told me how much she loved it and she has lovely hair. well it didn't do anything nice for my hair, this stuff made it feel kinda dirty and not soft at all, as if i hadn't conditioned or something. also made my hair limp and ruined the natural waves i usually have. i don't like the smell either, definitely won't be repurchasing.

on 1/14/2009 8:55:00 PM

This is one product that I go back to again and again. My hair is straight and waves a bit if I air dry - which I do 99% of the tie. I live in a very dry climate and this protects and saves my hair from frizz and anything else the weather throws at it. The trick is to not use too much, just a dab will do and I have long hair. Long hair that gets constant compliments on it's shine. I have tried other things, but I always come back to this. One tube lasts a long time, so the expense is worth it.

Nice fresh smell too.

on 1/13/2009 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

My packaging comment refers to the new pump package. The old tube-style package was the worst. Overall rating is for the current version. I think Potion 9 used to be a better product. Details below.

Potion 9 used to be my HG hair product. I've been using it since the early 90s! I used to buy the huge tub of it. However, starting about two years ago it didn't seem to work as well for me. Back in the early 2000s and earlier, I would wash my hair, towel dry, put a little Potion 9 in, twirl my curls, then shake my head, and air dry. Perfect curls every time. Then about two years ago this procedure stopped working. I added defrizzers -- Rusk Str8 + Rusk Calm Leave-In. That helped. I experimented with other curl tamers and nothing worked any better. So, I stuck with my cocktail of Potion 9, St8, and Calm. Now, however, (now being since the change to the new pump style packaging) this cocktail doesn't work either. Potion 9 used to keep my hair soft. (As for the crunchiness: once my hair dried, all I had to do was run my fingers through it once and the crunch was gone.) Now, Potion 9 dries my hair out. The curls still look good if I put lots of time into the twirling part of the process. But that irritates me because with the old version of Potion 9 I could do a quick and dirty twirl job and get the same results.

I've found that if I use just a little (about a dime-sized amount) my hair will feel soft and conditioned. But such a small amount does not tame my frizzies. The curls look awful.

So, I won't be purchasing Potion 9 again. I don't want to have to choose between dried out hair with nice curls or soft and frizzy hair. (And besides, I think if I keep letting Potion 9 dry out my hair I won't be able to get nice curls no matter how much time I spend twirling.) I haven't found a replacement, unfortunately. I guess I'll be flat ironing my hair more often since I no longer have a product that will tame my curls. :-(

on 1/12/2009 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I had such high hopes for this product, because I have heard so much good stuff about it. But when I put it on you couldnt even tell that I had anything in my hair. My hair was still really frizzy and big, but it did make it kind of soft. But other products can tame frizz and soften for a lot less. I think it is true that this product doesnt do anything for people with frizzy curly hair.

on 12/26/2008 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

One of my favorite hair products. It makes it so much softer and smoother- I can really see a difference when I use it. I'll buy this again and again, and would recommend it to anyone :)

on 12/17/2008 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This product has to be one of the most overrated-overhyped products online. I have 3c curls and this product dried my hair to the follicle. I have tried to use it multiple times - after the shower, after deep conditioning, when hair is damp, when hair is dry, and the results are conclusive: Potion 9 does not live up to its promise. Will not repurchase.

on 12/4/2008 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This dried my hair out! I have fine but thick straight, healthy hair and was so excited to try this but it doesn't work for me. It also has a smell that did not agree with me and my allergies.

on 11/22/2008 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff makes my hair so soft. The texture is thin enough for easy distribution to the hair. It has a pretty good hold too for my permed curls; it's better than any curl lotions I have tried. It seems like it's able to make the softness last longer too until my next hair wash. LOVE this stuff!

Update addition: I just purchase the NEW Potion 9 in a spray/pump bottle. I thought it maybe a spray formula, but actually, it's the exact same gel orange stuff with different packaging.

Top Rated Sebastian Products