Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer

3.8

PPD: 5, Active Ingredients: Octisalate 5.00%, Oxybenzone 5.00%, Avobenzone 3.00% Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Isopropyl PPG-2-Isodeceth-7,Carboxylate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polyester-8,Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Silica, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Coffea Robusta Seed Extract, Echinacea Pallida (Coneflower Extract), Rosemarinus Officianlis (Rosemary) Extract, Padina Pavonica (Thallis) Extract, Petrolatum, Sea Whip Extract, Jojoba Esters, Adenosine Phosphate, Disodium NADH, Rehalose, Creatine, Sodium RNA, Caffeine, Nordhydroguaiaretic Acid, Sodium DNA, Phytosphingosine, Linoleic Acid, Cholesterol, Ferulic Acid, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aminopropyl Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sucrose, Micrococcus Lysate, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Cetearyl Glycoside, Laurdimonium Hydropropyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Dimethiconol, Lecithin, Algae Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Proplene Glycol Dicaprate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Maltodextrin, C1-8 Alkyl Tetrahydroxycyclohexanoate,Caprylyl Glycol, Isohexadecane, Polyethylene, Ethylhexylglycerin, Zeolite, Behenyl Alcohol, Hydroxymethylcellulose, Polysorbate 80, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Coploymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tromethamine, Decarboxy Carnosine HCL, Xathan Gum, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sulfate, Disodim EDTA, Phenoxyethanol [ILN34338]

on 10/2/2009 10:41:00 AM

I have been looking for a good daytime moisturizer with SPF. I am very fair with freckles so a good SPF is important to me. I picked this up at my local CCO and I have to say I love it. It's rich and creamy, but absorbs well. It's really nice under my makeup, not oily or sticky. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's in a jar instead of a bottle, but I will definitely repurchase this product.

on 9/27/2009 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I really wanted to like this product,but after two days wearing it my eyes were really sore wasn't sure if it was causing it but stopped useing the cream and my eyes were fine but it took a couple of days to recover as they were a little red and sore near my eyelids, i'm pretty dissapointed as it cost me alot. ..but maybe other people wont have this problem.my skin is a bit sensitive but it only affected my eyes. As for moisturising it did ok but nothing amazing.

P.S Just to clarify I didnt put it near my eyes or on my eye lids but thinkin back when I put foundation on with a sponge some of the cream from my face could of got on my eyelids so maybe that was it? but still never had a reaction this bad from a cream before!

on 9/26/2009 7:30:00 AM

I really wanted to like this moisturizer because on the looks of it; it has it all. Especially the SPF 25! Unfortunately, even though I don't have sensitive skin and have never had any problems, the cream causes a slight burning sensation, especially around the eyes.

On the plus side, my skin feels soft and is not shiny whatsoever, but taking the price into account I would not buy again; and revert to my old best friend, Olay.

on 9/22/2009 8:58:00 AM

This is an expensive product, but if you can afford to buy the 50ml, it is much more cost effective. However, they have been including this cream in the UK bonus time packages recently, and I got the equivalent of 45ml in pots, which will keep me going for ages.

I have the normal/combination version of this cream. It feels rich on your fingers, but spreads out well to a lightweight cream on your face. I use this in the morning after my anti-blemish 3 step. The SPF 25 helps add some good sun protection, and it sinks in quite quickly to leave a natural matte finish. It has not caused any blemishes on my combination/sensitive/acne prone skin which is a blessing in disguise and does not cause me to produce lots of oil through the day.

on 9/19/2009 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a review for the reformated version -- This updated formula came out beginning of 2009 and it is a lot more irritating. I have experienced burning sensation as well as occational red patches due to this lotion.

The older formula was MUCH better. CLINQUE, please bring it back!

on 9/18/2009 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Considering that the active sunscreen ingredients are neither broad spectrum, nor stable, this is a rubbish product. It shouldn't be marketed as a sunscreen, because there's no protection here. Active Ingredients: octinoxate 7.40%, avobenzone 3.00%, oxybenzone 2.00%.

on 9/17/2009 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

i used this a while back when i first started highschool and remembered i really liked it.
now that i'm in college and am dealing with persistent acne, i repurchase it again because i needed a moisturizer with spf so i dont have to apply it separately.
this stuff smells like straight up sunblock.
and when i apply it, it burns...at first i thought it was because my skin has been sensitive from acne perscription usage.
but now reading other reviews, i wasnt the only one.
i only used it twice but i got two developing pimples on my cheek...i really wonder if this contribute to it.
returning it!

on 8/24/2009 1:41:00 AM

I bought this moisturiser when I was on holiday and ran out of my usual Ella Bache moisturiser. Not only was it an incredibly light-weight formula which barely did anything near hydrating my skin, I had a burning sensation every time I used it (and I don't have sensitive skin). I was very glad to find an Ella Bache stockist and buy my usual again.

on 8/15/2009 9:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm on my second full-size jar of this and have been using it for almost a year. I use the oily-skin formula.

This is the best under-makeup sunscreen I have encountered so far. (Compared to most drugstore sunscreens including Neutrogena Dry Touch, and a couple of Lancome moisturizers & sunscreens I've tried).**

It goes on dewy, but dries to an invisible finish. It's not mattifying but doesn't add extra shine either. It does not affect the longevity of my makeup as far as I can tell. And, unlike most sunscreens, it doesn't feel heavy on my skin.

Normally, I can't wear chemical sunscreens (which this contains), but this has not irritated my skin at all--- Until recently.

Maybe it's because I've been using a retinol night cream, which I believe makes the top layer of the skin thinner. But in the morning, when I apply the Super Defense cream, my face gets a slight burning sensation and it's extra-sensitive to makeup brushes.

So, it's back to the drawing board. I still give this cream 4 stars because I do think it's an excellent moisturizer and sunscreen for oily skins. And the consistency is very nice and feels comforting if you're not allergic to the ingredients.

As for the packaging-- The jar is very pretty, but I have to say it's not convenient for carrying to the gym, traveling, etc. And of course, not very hygienic. I just make sure to apply it with clean hands after using toner on my face, so everything's clean.

P.S. The Clinique SAs will tell you that this must be applied over your regular moisturizer. I have not found this to be the case at all. This cream alone provides more than enough moisture for my oily/combination skin, even in winter.

**UPDATE 10/2/09: I have since found a better under-makeup sunscreen which does not irritate my skin. I now prefer MAC Prep & Prime Face Protect SPF 50. It is more mattifying and it makes my makeup look better too! (But it doesn't moisturize, so I now have to use a separate moisturizer on dry areas.)

**UPDATE 5/1/10: I've since learned through more recent MUA reviews, that the sunscreen in this product is not stabilized and therefore can become ineffective. So I've taken off two lippies and I won't repurchase again.

on 8/7/2009 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This was okay. I think I needed to get the one for normal to dry skin because I was so flaky with this stuff! Yuck! Also, I think the Clinique stuff caused me to break out a little. I did not like how you had to scoop the product out either. You get everything out, but I hate having to put my fingers into the jar. Pump please! So when you add all that up, plus the price of almost $50, I think I'll just stay with the $18 drugstore purchase of Olay Rejuvenist as that seems to work much better for me.

Popular Moisturizers