April 17, 2014 | 1486 users online

Moisturizers - Clinique - Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2009 8:58:00 AM More reviews by kms83

This is an expensive product, but if you can afford to buy the 50ml, it is much more cost effective. However, they have been including this cream in the UK bonus time packages recently, and I got the equivalent of 45ml in pots, which will keep me going for ages.

I have the normal/combination version of this cream. It feels rich on your fingers, but spreads out well to a lightweight cream on your face. I use this in the morning after my anti-blemish 3 step. The SPF 25 helps add some good sun protection, and it sinks in quite quickly to leave a natural matte finish. It has not caused any blemishes on my combination/sensitive/acne prone skin which is a blessing in disguise and does not cause me to produce lots of oil through the day.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by ThreeRabbits

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the reformated version -- This updated formula came out beginning of 2009 and it is a lot more irritating. I have experienced burning sensation as well as occational red patches due to this lotion.

The older formula was MUCH better. CLINQUE, please bring it back!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2009 11:33:00 AM More reviews by iberian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Considering that the active sunscreen ingredients are neither broad spectrum, nor stable, this is a rubbish product. It shouldn't be marketed as a sunscreen, because there's no protection here. Active Ingredients: octinoxate 7.40%, avobenzone 3.00%, oxybenzone 2.00%.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2009 5:37:00 PM More reviews by chaovivi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i used this a while back when i first started highschool and remembered i really liked it.
now that i'm in college and am dealing with persistent acne, i repurchase it again because i needed a moisturizer with spf so i dont have to apply it separately.
this stuff smells like straight up sunblock.
and when i apply it, it burns...at first i thought it was because my skin has been sensitive from acne perscription usage.
but now reading other reviews, i wasnt the only one.
i only used it twice but i got two developing pimples on my cheek...i really wonder if this contribute to it.
returning it!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2009 1:41:00 AM More reviews by dempsj

I bought this moisturiser when I was on holiday and ran out of my usual Ella Bache moisturiser. Not only was it an incredibly light-weight formula which barely did anything near hydrating my skin, I had a burning sensation every time I used it (and I don't have sensitive skin). I was very glad to find an Ella Bache stockist and buy my usual again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2009 9:39:00 AM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second full-size jar of this and have been using it for almost a year. I use the oily-skin formula.

This is the best under-makeup sunscreen I have encountered so far. (Compared to most drugstore sunscreens including Neutrogena Dry Touch, and a couple of Lancome moisturizers & sunscreens I've tried).**

It goes on dewy, but dries to an invisible finish. It's not mattifying but doesn't add extra shine either. It does not affect the longevity of my makeup as far as I can tell. And, unlike most sunscreens, it doesn't feel heavy on my skin.

Normally, I can't wear chemical sunscreens (which this contains), but this has not irritated my skin at all--- Until recently.

Maybe it's because I've been using a retinol night cream, which I believe makes the top layer of the skin thinner. But in the morning, when I apply the Super Defense cream, my face gets a slight burning sensation and it's extra-sensitive to makeup brushes.

So, it's back to the drawing board. I still give this cream 4 stars because I do think it's an excellent moisturizer and sunscreen for oily skins. And the consistency is very nice and feels comforting if you're not allergic to the ingredients.

As for the packaging-- The jar is very pretty, but I have to say it's not convenient for carrying to the gym, traveling, etc. And of course, not very hygienic. I just make sure to apply it with clean hands after using toner on my face, so everything's clean.

P.S. The Clinique SAs will tell you that this must be applied over your regular moisturizer. I have not found this to be the case at all. This cream alone provides more than enough moisture for my oily/combination skin, even in winter.

**UPDATE 10/2/09: I have since found a better under-makeup sunscreen which does not irritate my skin. I now prefer MAC Prep & Prime Face Protect SPF 50. It is more mattifying and it makes my makeup look better too! (But it doesn't moisturize, so I now have to use a separate moisturizer on dry areas.)

**UPDATE 5/1/10: I've since learned through more recent MUA reviews, that the sunscreen in this product is not stabilized and therefore can become ineffective. So I've taken off two lippies and I won't repurchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/7/2009 3:42:00 PM More reviews by vhemminger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was okay. I think I needed to get the one for normal to dry skin because I was so flaky with this stuff! Yuck! Also, I think the Clinique stuff caused me to break out a little. I did not like how you had to scoop the product out either. You get everything out, but I hate having to put my fingers into the jar. Pump please! So when you add all that up, plus the price of almost $50, I think I'll just stay with the $18 drugstore purchase of Olay Rejuvenist as that seems to work much better for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2009 8:09:00 AM More reviews by eunicette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm always looking for products that multi-task. In particular, I don't like having to apply moisturiser AND a sunblock. Now that I live in a hot humid climate, I don't like the feel of having a lot of product on my face.

Clinique's Superdefense is one of my favourite moisturisers with SPF. It doesn't leave a white cast, it absorbs very well, I don't get too shiny when I wear it, and it seems to be really good for my skin.

My only concern is whether SPF 25 is high enough, especially when the sun in Singapore is so strong. Ever since I've moved back from London (where the sun is almost non-existent!) I've been getting more pigmentation on my cheeks.

So even though I love this product, I'm still on the hunt for a non-oily moisturiser with SPF that works as well as Superdefense but has a higher SPF. Not sure if such a product actually exists...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 10:29:00 AM More reviews by shesallthat69

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loveeee this product. It is such a hassle finding a good sunscreen product to wear underneath makeup. But, after trying this only once, I feel in love with it. I have normal skin tone, and don't really break out and have pimples but my skin is sensitive. I noticed a drastic change in my skin after using this, it became much more soft and smooth plus, I'm getting sun protection!! It's not thick at all, so I can put makeup on without having to feel like I have so much on my face. Never will continue to buy this product. Although, I wish they made it in a higher SPF...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by wildimportgal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love, love, love the SuperDefense from Clinique. My favorite product yet from Clinique. I would recommend this to anyone that hate the SPF smell and the wierd texture of sunscreen (like me). I've always hate putting on sunscreen; I hated the oily feeling and the wierd coconut-y smell or the strong chemical odor.

I was travelling to Hong Kong for 3 weeks and I was outdoors almost everyday, so I had to go buy some sunscreen. Since I use mainly Lancome, Clinique, Laniege and Shisedo, I went to all of their counters to look for a tolerable sunscreen.

I was shocked when I sampled this sunscreen/face cream. It was so light and there was no sunscreen-y smell. Once you applied it, it instantly melts into your skin. There is no sticky or oily residue at all. I love it! It's the only sunscreen type product I use. If it was a tad cheaper, I would seriously use it on my whole body!