July 23, 2014 | 2191 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2012 11:12:00 AM More reviews by MsHepburn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. Just rub a little all over your dry face at night to make the oil mix with your makeup and other dirt on your face, then add a little lukewarm water and rub gently a little more to make the oil and dirt mix with the water. It should now turn into a milky sort of substance on your face. Rinse off the milky stuff and voila, a clean face, ready for bed.

My skin is extremely prone to blemishes but this is so mild and thorough I didn't have any problems using it.

However, since I am a lazy b&*ch I have now swapped this for a micellar lotion so I don't need to use water and dry off my face at all: even quicker! I don't think I will be repurchasing simply because I don't need it, but I do definitely recommend it. Don't buy into the whole 'double cleansing' myth though: that's something you might need to do with a 'real' oil that doesn't mix with water. With this one, washing your face with a face was after is absolutely one 100% unnecessary. As the oil first mixes with the grime and then the mixture mixes with the water to turn into a milky substance which can easily be rinsed away, you have already gotten every bit of junk off your face after using this and there is no residue, as long as you make sure to mix the oil on your face with a tiny bit of water first before rinsing off entirely. Using a face wash after this will only dry out your skin unnecessarily.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2012 12:55:00 PM More reviews by katharineb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This was not for me - it irritated and stung my eyes and I found it difficult to use - very watery, product gets wasted. I think it is very expensive for what it is. On the plus side, it did remove all makeup very well.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2012 1:24:00 AM More reviews by sabzter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up quickly at MAC not knowing much about cleansing oils and wanting a thorough make-up remover. Other than a couple items, I'm not a fan of MAC at the least. I'm still waiting for this cleansing oil to break me out so that I can say "I knew it!" So far, however, it has done its job pretty well. I usually take 1-2 pumps of oil in my hands and rub it in all over my dry face at the end of the day. Then I add a tiny bit of water and rub some more. Adding a little water turns the oil white and thick. Then I rinse my face off for a couple minutes and when I feel that all of the oil is off, I wash my face again with my lavender soap (b/c I'm paranoid of breaking out). I don't mind having to wash my face twice b/c this stuff gets rid of everything! Granted, I also exfoliate often, use toner day and night, and don't wear foundation marketed as "long-wear" because my skin is super super sensitive. Unlike some reviewers, I actually LIKE the fact that the oil doesn't "lather." Maybe it's b/c I've been using it for a couple months and am used to it or b/c I'm new to cleansing oils. I just feel like whenever cleansers lather, they tend to leave your face dry and tight (in my experience at least). This oil leaves my face smooth, soft, and non-irritated (and knock-on-wood it stays that way!). When I get up in the morning, my face is brightened, smooth, soft, supple, and hydrated (not greasy). So as much as I can't stand most MAC products, this one has taken me aback. I really wanted to try Shu Uemura, but it sucks that I have to get it online and can't return if I have some sort of reaction to it since it's not sold anywhere in Arizona. Oh well, I'll stick to whatever my skin likes. I'll update if breakouts commence.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2012 6:34:00 AM More reviews by SkinFreak93

This makeup remover is awesome! At first I was pretty affraid to try this product mainly because of the word "oil". But the makeup artist said the oil is not mineral oil therefore it would not clog my pores. And I never regretted buyin this product :D it removes everything so easily.
After using this remover for the first time, I tested it out by using my Cosmocell Milk Cleaser and wipe it off with tissue and there was litterally nothing there. There isnt any makeup residue left ! Amazinggg :)
The reason why I gave 4 stars is because of the price. Its pretty expensive. But its worth it.
Highly recomend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 9:18:00 AM More reviews by sweettalk1994

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is really good it removes every trace of make up which is wow lol. It keeps my face clean and smooth but it can be a bit drying for my dry skin that's why i rated it a 4 if it didn't then ill be rating it a 5.
To use this take 1-2 pumps depending on how much u need and with dry hands apply this on your dry face by massaging all the make up/dirt away and add a little bit of water 2 your face and again keep massaging untill u think everything is off and rinse clean with warm water and your face should be completely clean and smooth!! It works 4 me so it should work 4 u:)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by jchoi128

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Okay, I haven't tried the Shu Uemura cleansing oil which is supposedly the best cleansing oil on the market but MAC cleanse off oil worked very well for me. It's true, you can't get off all the makeup and dirt on your skin with just a regular foam cleanser. I use both, first use the cleanse off oil to remove majority of the makeup on my face By massaging it into my skin(which does a fantastic job) and then go in with a foam cleanser to really make sure I rinse off the residue. No major breakOuts since I have adopted the routine and I always keep a backup of this oil in my shelf. Yes, it is relatively expensive because I use 3 full pumps each time I remove makeup and it does get used up pretty quick. But I still think its a fair price because it does the job right!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2012 6:02:00 AM More reviews by KristinaKr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product broke me out. It surprises me, cause i've used oils to cleanse my skin before (Chanel and Dior) and never had this kind of reaction...
If you are lucky and it doesn't break you out, it might actually be a really good product, because it removes makeup really well and is cheaper than Chanel (which is my favorite) or Dior one.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by YellowLantern

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall I like this cleanser as it does cut through any makeup I've thrown at it beautifully. I rub in 3-4 pumps into dry skin and just keep gently rubbing the oil into my skin and making sure not to miss any parts of my face. After that I rinse the oil off and my skin is clean and makeup free (as evidenced by my DDF Glycolic toner) without my skin feeling either greasy or stripped. So far I've tested this cleanser with EL Double Wear, MAC Pro Long Wear, CD Diorskin Forever Flawless, MUFE Mat Velvet+, Revlon Colorstay, NARS Sheer Matte, and a thick sunscreen powder and it has worked beautifully with all of them.

The only thing I do not like and the reason I'm on the fence about repurchasing, is that it seems to me that I need to use way more of this to fully remove makeup than I'm used to using in order to clean my face. When cleaning my face I'm used to using around 3/4 pump of product to one full pump on really grimy days. Having to use 3-4 full pumps means I'm going through this cleanser way faster than I've ever gone through a cleanser before. In the end this cleanser does not feel like a good value for the money. I'm curious about the other oil cleansers on the market, but from what I've seen they're more expensive than this one and I'm concerned that I'll still have to use a lot of product to fully remove makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2011 1:33:00 AM More reviews by esornart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive skin that gets irritated really easily and I was skeptical of using cleansing oil.

I have to say I LOVE this cleansing oil! It does not break me out and I noticed it cleaned the makeup off my face really good and cleared up my skin! My skin looks flawless now!
I highly recommend you give this a try! LOVE, LOVEEE IT! <3

It is also mineral free unlike Shu Cleansing oil (which contains minerals). I would love to give Clinique take it off Cleansing Balm a try next!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by NHassan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is quite a nice product. I tried it for the first time today and I never thought that removing my makeup could be such an easy process. Rubbing the oil in and letting it breakdown the makeup down seemed a bit messy to me however once you lather it up and wash it off with water, you get a very nice clean. It completely got rid of all my makeup, including my eyeliner which is always the hardest part for me to remove. I don't think i'll be going back to the towelettes I used to use unless I get really lazy.