April 20, 2014 | 878 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2008 11:16:00 PM More reviews by hyperhoops

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Solar oil is a great product to use for moisturizing your cuticles. I brush it on and then massage it in. Ever since I started to use it, I haven't gotten any hangnails. I noticed this is easier to work with and absorbs better when the bottle is a little warm. This product also lasts a long time. I apply this 1-2x a day on my tips and toes. I started to use my 1/8oz bottle in August and have use half of the bottle in 2 months.

PACKAGING: It comes in a variety of sizes. I currently own 2 small 1/8oz and a 0.5oz bottle. Both resemble nail polish bottles. Keep the bottle upright because it has a tendency to leak if the bottle is left on its side for awhile. I wish this came in a form pen form so I could use it on the go.

Pros:
- Moisturizes cuticles.
- Smells like almonds
- Light feeling
- Easy to use.

Cons:
- Takes a while to sink in, so don't touch anything immediately after use.
- Oil may leak out if bottle isn't upright.
- Pricey.
- Not good for on the go use b/c it comes in a nail polish bottle.

Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Tocopheryl Acetate.

The ingredients are very basic and if you search online, there are recipes to imitate this. Basically it's glorified oil.

I don't think I would repurchase once my supply has run out. I find that Qtica cuticle repair balm is easier to use and much more moisturizing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by BElurve

Love this stuff! It smells awesome and really conditions my cuticles. I apply it to my fingers and toenails about 3 times a day. I love the brush too, it's really soft and applies well. I want to buy bottles and bottles of this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaSF

I use this 1-2 times daily, pushing back on my cuticles as I rub this in.

I do prefer this Solar oil to others I have tried (Sally Hansen's, OPI, Vitamin E, etc.). I also like the strong almond scent.

As with other oils, this one can be messy. It comes in a nail polish bottle, and you swipe on with a brush. After rubbing in, my fingers feel greasy for probably 10 minutes.

This is definitely an HG for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by arizonamuaddict

I love this cuticle oil. The smell is nice, it's not too runny or too thick, and it does a good job of protecting cuticles. I use this twice per day-after my shower and before bed, and it really seems to help my cuticles stay moisturized. During the day, I carry Burt's cuticle butter and use that periodically, so these two work really great together.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really am happy with this stuff. My nails and cuticles get so dry and unhealthy-looking. (Compounded with the fact that I bite my nails, my digits can become pretty rough-looking.) When that happens, I reach for this. It smells delicious, like marzipan. Once I've put this on, my nails feel nourished and conditioned and look healthy. My only complaint is that it is a bit runny--I wish it would dry quickly. So I rub it in rather than wait forever for it to dry. But all in all, this is a great product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by dbp1515

Whoo! I love this stuff. I am just now getting into doing my nails (several times a week, LOL) and this is one of the new products I bought in my quest for a perfect mani. I know a lot of people say this is just overpriced oil and really *any* oil could do the same job. Well, that probably is true to a degree. This has helped my cuticles stay in good shape but I don't know how much of that is due to the specific blend in Solar Oil. What I *do* know is that this product makes me want to use it repeatedly which means more TLC for the cuticles! I love the smell, it's a fresh almond scent that is not cloying or strong, and I love the applicator nail brush. If I have to pay a little more for this than any other oil, I will, just because this product makes me want to use it, haha! I have the 15ml bottle and it seems like the bottle will last forever, even with daily use. I can't remember how much I paid, but I *think* it was around $5 from head to toe.com

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2008 2:32:00 AM More reviews by MakeupFashionista

I first came to know of SolarOil from a nail technician at a salon I was going to. I have been addicted to this stuff since and that was first in 2000. It's not a thick oil and the almond scent is so subtle which is a good thing. I think the best way to get any cuticle oil to work is to make sure that when you wash your hands you put on hand lotion afterwards, which would mean that your cuticle oil will be an addition for getting great cuticles and soft hands.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2008 1:49:00 AM More reviews by Valeria

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used up almost half a bottle and for me this doesn't do anything at all, I saw no change whatsoever. My cuticles still look pretty sad. It adds a nice shine to my nails right after application but it goes away quickly. It does smell great though, wish they made a body oil. Maybe I will try the Solar Balm instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2008 2:42:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I do think that this is one of the best cuticle oils around, mainly because it does actually work both immediately in that your nails look immediately better, but also the effects last, in that if you apply over night, the nails look good in the morning. Oils I have tried are:
OPI Avoplex - the prowide brush is great, but I don't much like the smell, and I don't find that it sinks into my nails, and seems to sit on the surface.
Essie - I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't like the smell of this, I find it a bit artificial, and again doesn't sink into the nails.
SH Vit E - I like this oil because it is cheap, doesn't smell to much and does sink in, but it doesn't have the same effects long term as Solar
Nails Inc Vit E pen - great delivery system, but doesn't seem to sink in.
Dr.H Neem oil pen - don't like the delivery system, doesn't seem to make any difference to my nails.
Yes this oil is oily, but it does sink in, it does make an improvement to the cuticles and yes it smells heavenly and comforting...and I don't even like marzipan!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2008 11:37:00 AM More reviews by lasoltera

I like it, Good to my cuticles and better than OPI avoplex oil.