Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

PROS: Unscented, buildable coverage, non-cakey, lovely silky texture, wide range of neutral shades, SPF, long-wearing.
CONS: Expensive RRP in Australia but this can be circumvented by avoiding Mecca Cosmetica. It errs on the side of light coverage, I'd personally like a touch more and then it'd be HG material.
REVIEW:
I've heard so many raves about this over the years but was always dubious that it would work for me, I'm a medium-full coverage gal usually. I need to wear this with concealer at the minimum (currently using Clinique Repairwear fdtn for this purpose), but when I do - wow! I have very dry skin, further exacerbated due to retinoid usage. I thought this would accentuate every flaky area, but it's quite forgiving and looks nice when applied with a large soft powder brush. Not glowy, but I guess there's just enough illuminating stuff in there to stop me looking dry and powdery. Powder foundations can be really nice on dry skin, and they feel so weightless. I bought a refill to try and it's currently being kept in an empty Clinique compact (not a perfect fit, but it suffices). I will repurchase this and the compact as well. I love it! I'm MAC NC15 and wear 10 watts which is a great match for me. The shades are very neutral, so much so that I imagine they could make some people look a bit ashy. In my perfect world it would be a touch warmer (read: yellower), but as it's a true neutral shade at least it's not too pink on me and it's very wearable.

I keep trying other foundations, and keep coming back to this one, which I use in 30 watt. My skin can be red and splotchy and when I apply this stuff it just about dissapears. For everyday use I just apply it with the sponge it comes with, but if I'm going out for the evening and am wearing more makeup than usual I like to apply a liquid foundation then use a powder brush and apply as if it were a loose powder, great coverage!

10 Watts is a good color for my extremely pale skin. I'm pleased with the coverage and quality of this powder foundation. It doesn't break me out and it doesn't slide off my face within a few hours. The "illumination" is subtle and very pretty.

But Stila and I need to have a talk. When I pay $26 for .35 ounces of powder foundation, I expect a compact. Now, this lack of compact thing isn't such a big deal when it comes to eye shadows (I love Kitten) because the plastic really is sufficient. But I use powder foundation far more often and sometimes I carry it with me. I don't like spending an additional $14 for a compact because you, Stila, won't supply me with one. If you must charge more for a compact, how's about you change the price of the foundation to, say, $30, heck, even $32. But put it in a compact.

I love this product! I've been using Stila IPF for about 3 years now and I think it's the best powder foundation around. It provides sheer to medium coverage (it depends if you apply it with dry or wet sponge) which is perfect for me as I don't like using cream/liquid foundations everyday. The shade (10 watts) matches my very fair skin tone perfectly and it gives my face a glowy and natural finish, like I have no make up on. It's a bit expensive, but the compact is reusable and it's totally worth it.

I used this for about a month. The colour (10 watts) was fine and the coverage was just right, so I was happy at first. After a couple of weeks, though, my skin looked dull and clogged. This got worse after about 3 weeks and then I got all kinds of bumps and spots. I thought it was stress, so I went to Sephora for a spot treatment. They went through my routine to figure out the source of the spots and the girl helping me said it was the mica in the IPF. So, I switched to Clinique's powder foundation and things started improving right away.

I guess it would be ok for someone less sensitive, but I'd recommend anyone clog-prone to stay away.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have had this for maybe 1.5 years and have now hit pan, I have a few powders that I set my TM or liquid foundation with and this is in my rotation. Its fine, I mean its good...works well but its nothing amazing. I'll use it up and be happy with it but I doubt I'll repurchase. I don't notice any extra illuminating stuff going on so NYC is just as good. I do like the wide shade selection, thats what first attracted me to it and with 10 watts I do find a good color match for my pale cool toned skin. I would give this a 3.5 but since I cant do a half point here I will round up. Decent, does its job. Just as nice to set the natrual look as it is to set a matte skin face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Background Info:
I have been struggling to find a good powder foundation ever since Clinique discontinued their City Base Oil-Free SPF 15 version. For awhile, I just stopped wearing makeup, period. This did not work out well when taking pictures because my skin is acne-prone and I have acne scars. So, out of desperation, I bought the CoverGirl Fresh Complexion Powder Foundation... it didn't irritate my skin (thank God!) but it felt weird and didn't provide much coverage. I finally decided to shell out the $$$ and headed to Sephora. The salesperson was really nice and spent a looong time trying to match my colour. I wanted an oil-free powder foundation with SPF (as I had with my HG Clinique)... however, there weren't many options that provided this AND matched my skin colour as well... I was often in-between shades. Finally, the Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation in 70 Watts was a match!
Product Info:
I love it so far! I am a bit worried though because it does not say "oil-free", "non-comedogenic", or "non-acnegenic" on the label... so I guess there's a strong possibility that this could aggravate my skin/acne (however, it is SPF 12, which is a great plus!). After 2 weeks of use, it hasn't done anything horribly wrong... I still get a few zits here and there, but that is normal for my skin. This product is expensive but I like how it blends into my face. It doesn't look cakey, ashy, or fake. True to the name, it provides an illuminating/bright look and the coverage is great for me... however, for special occasions and all-day wear, I use a concealer to hide the major spots (Make Up For Ever Full Coverage Camouflage Cream is my fave right now!), but overall, this product feels great and looks great. I've never tried it wet, although this option is available; I always apply it dry with the sponge that's included.
I will update this review if I find that my skin is breaking out after long-term usage.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I don't know why Stila is calling this a foundation...It functions better as a powder! Yes, the initial cost for the package is expensive, but at least it is reusable (one tick for the environment). It's a pity that Stila didn't make the illuminating powder pans the same size as the sheer pressed powder pans, then girls like me who use it as a powder could've put it in the sheer powder compact instead...Or maybe that's why they made it that way???? Pity, because I would've liked a slimmer compact for toting around and I don't like the holes in the bottom of the compact where the sponge lives.
I'm just into my third pan of this stuff, and I like using it as a setting powder and for touch ups during the day. It has a nice level of opacity (which is not much, but enough on my slightly uneven skin tone) and dampens down shine across my nose without looking overly powdered or matt. I end up with a seamless finish and just a hint of radiance which looks quite natural (the powder has a slight shimmer, hence the name illuminating!). It also has an SPF12 rating, which gives it a big tick from me. This would've got higher marks if the packaging was more sensible for a powder rather than as a foundation, because that is really how it functions best.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this stuff a couple days ago..i actially wanted to buy the sheer pressed powder instead, but they were out of stock, so I was talked into buying this one instead. It WAS REALLY expensive since i had to buy the compact separately.!!!! and i thought i could refund it because i thought the powder could fit into the sheer pressed powder compact. but it doesnt fit! so i couldnt return it after all. really really expensive! (1 lippie off)why couldnt they just include the powder into the compact all at once?!........
anway... i bought 30watt with my shade c..... it matches pretty good. Not sure if it gives a glowy face since i use natural finish foundation underneath. But my face does look glowy (but not sure if it was the foundation or the powder)... but it doesnt control oil. that's for sure~

when i applied this, it first looked little bit powdery, but after awhile, it does melt into the skin... and also, stila always has a nice packaging.~

EDIT: (March 22) doesnt control oil at all.. have to blot in mid day.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using this for like 2-3 years now. Although it does not provide a huge amount of coverage, that is why I like it. I think it does provide an illuminating effect and looks very natural. If you need to cover up a lot of skin problems, then this powder will not work for you. I use a primer first which seems to keep the powder on all day. The refills are pricey and seem to not last very long, but I love how this product makes my skin look so to me it is worth it.