April 16, 2014 | 1550 users online

Powder - Stila - Illuminating Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2008 6:10:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have had this for maybe 1.5 years and have now hit pan, I have a few powders that I set my TM or liquid foundation with and this is in my rotation. Its fine, I mean its good...works well but its nothing amazing. I'll use it up and be happy with it but I doubt I'll repurchase. I don't notice any extra illuminating stuff going on so NYC is just as good. I do like the wide shade selection, thats what first attracted me to it and with 10 watts I do find a good color match for my pale cool toned skin. I would give this a 3.5 but since I cant do a half point here I will round up. Decent, does its job. Just as nice to set the natrual look as it is to set a matte skin face.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2008 6:12:00 PM More reviews by cgosyne

Background Info:
I have been struggling to find a good powder foundation ever since Clinique discontinued their City Base Oil-Free SPF 15 version. For awhile, I just stopped wearing makeup, period. This did not work out well when taking pictures because my skin is acne-prone and I have acne scars. So, out of desperation, I bought the CoverGirl Fresh Complexion Powder Foundation... it didn't irritate my skin (thank God!) but it felt weird and didn't provide much coverage. I finally decided to shell out the $$$ and headed to Sephora. The salesperson was really nice and spent a looong time trying to match my colour. I wanted an oil-free powder foundation with SPF (as I had with my HG Clinique)... however, there weren't many options that provided this AND matched my skin colour as well... I was often in-between shades. Finally, the Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation in 70 Watts was a match!
Product Info:
I love it so far! I am a bit worried though because it does not say "oil-free", "non-comedogenic", or "non-acnegenic" on the label... so I guess there's a strong possibility that this could aggravate my skin/acne (however, it is SPF 12, which is a great plus!). After 2 weeks of use, it hasn't done anything horribly wrong... I still get a few zits here and there, but that is normal for my skin. This product is expensive but I like how it blends into my face. It doesn't look cakey, ashy, or fake. True to the name, it provides an illuminating/bright look and the coverage is great for me... however, for special occasions and all-day wear, I use a concealer to hide the major spots (Make Up For Ever Full Coverage Camouflage Cream is my fave right now!), but overall, this product feels great and looks great. I've never tried it wet, although this option is available; I always apply it dry with the sponge that's included.
I will update this review if I find that my skin is breaking out after long-term usage.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2008 10:07:00 PM More reviews by CallistoLuna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know why Stila is calling this a foundation...It functions better as a powder! Yes, the initial cost for the package is expensive, but at least it is reusable (one tick for the environment). It's a pity that Stila didn't make the illuminating powder pans the same size as the sheer pressed powder pans, then girls like me who use it as a powder could've put it in the sheer powder compact instead...Or maybe that's why they made it that way???? Pity, because I would've liked a slimmer compact for toting around and I don't like the holes in the bottom of the compact where the sponge lives.
I'm just into my third pan of this stuff, and I like using it as a setting powder and for touch ups during the day. It has a nice level of opacity (which is not much, but enough on my slightly uneven skin tone) and dampens down shine across my nose without looking overly powdered or matt. I end up with a seamless finish and just a hint of radiance which looks quite natural (the powder has a slight shimmer, hence the name illuminating!). It also has an SPF12 rating, which gives it a big tick from me. This would've got higher marks if the packaging was more sensible for a powder rather than as a foundation, because that is really how it functions best.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2008 6:40:00 PM More reviews by blacklittlepig

I bought this stuff a couple days ago..i actially wanted to buy the sheer pressed powder instead, but they were out of stock, so I was talked into buying this one instead. It WAS REALLY expensive since i had to buy the compact separately.!!!! and i thought i could refund it because i thought the powder could fit into the sheer pressed powder compact. but it doesnt fit! so i couldnt return it after all. really really expensive! (1 lippie off)why couldnt they just include the powder into the compact all at once?!........
anway... i bought 30watt with my shade c..... it matches pretty good. Not sure if it gives a glowy face since i use natural finish foundation underneath. But my face does look glowy (but not sure if it was the foundation or the powder)... but it doesnt control oil. that's for sure~

when i applied this, it first looked little bit powdery, but after awhile, it does melt into the skin... and also, stila always has a nice packaging.~

EDIT: (March 22) doesnt control oil at all.. have to blot in mid day.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2008 7:20:00 PM More reviews by kimmie578

I have been using this for like 2-3 years now. Although it does not provide a huge amount of coverage, that is why I like it. I think it does provide an illuminating effect and looks very natural. If you need to cover up a lot of skin problems, then this powder will not work for you. I use a primer first which seems to keep the powder on all day. The refills are pricey and seem to not last very long, but I love how this product makes my skin look so to me it is worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2008 2:12:00 PM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If this is powder foundation, I'll eat my expensive Stila case I had to buy separately for this product. I have great skin too--just a little redness here and there and this, on me, is nothing but a powder. Granted, I haven't tried applying it wet so maybe I'm selling it short but seems it doesn't cover much. I also don't see the "illuminating" here and, when applied over Stila's Illuminating TM, it actually takes away the glow. Also, the separate compact packaging SEEMS like a good idea but only if you plan to re-purchase the refills over and over. Otherwise, it's a waste of one wad of cash and isn't all that sturdy. I've had heftier Cover Girl compacts. Won't purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2008 4:54:00 AM More reviews by piinkxheffalump

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This Stilla Illuminating Powder is a pretty good product. It gives good coverage and it has a SPF 15 which is always a plus :) One problem I have with it though is that the shades don't really match my skin tone. I have a more yellowish hue to my skin and whenever I used it, my skin looked kinda ashy. I don't think the shades matched my skin perfectly. Another thing is that you have to buy the compact seperate form the powder! The powder refill itself is already around $24 over here and spending another $20+ for a compact is kinda pricey. Btw, if you're planning to get this, make sure you watch the sponge regularly or buy a pack of makeup sponges. It can really spread bacteria if you consistently use the same sponge over and over. I would say this product is pretty good if it matches your skin tone. I've bought it twice but I don't think I'll buy it again because it just doesn't match my skin tone.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2008 10:05:00 PM More reviews by bossanovaville

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this powder. Enough that it has succeeded in knocking my mineral powder off of the top tier of my train case! The texture is incredibly silky and light. Upon initial application, I was a bit disappointed, seeing how lightly it goes on. But after getting in the car and checking my face in the rearview mirror, I was surprised to see that it covers flaws and evens out my skintone very well and doesn't look the LEAST bit powdery or dry. I also like the design of these types of compacts, with the sponge in a separate compartment under the powder tray. Not only that, but the case is sold separately from the powder trays, so that one can just buy refills instead of a whole new compact. Covers flaws, rids me of shine, looks natural, feels light and stays put. Also, it's long lasting. My mineral powder provided good coverage, but that's because my sponge would pick up a LOT of product and I would end up going through a compact in 6 weeks time. This one doesn't wear down as fast, and yet a small amount of powder is all that's needed to get a nice, natural result. I highly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Lola_Bear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been wearing this product off and on for eight years. After experimenting with countless mineral and other powder foundations, all of which disappointed, I keep coming back to this. It provides just the finish I am after -- a luminous, natural finish, not too matte, not too shiny -- without looking like a "mask." It does not dry me out or irritate my skin. It provides the perfect amount of coverage, and 20 Watts is a perfect match (I'm a NW20 in MAC). I've tried wearing it with a silicone-based foundation primer, and from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m. the next day, it did NOT budge. I've also tried it over Dr. Denese's Foundation Faker, and it complements it perfectly. I'm not sure this would work for someone who needs heavy coverage, as it provides light to medium, buildable coverage.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2008 7:23:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Normally I cannot wear powder except on my nose and forhead, it just ends up looking cakey. Recently I realized that less is more despite my imperfections. I ind that using a tinted moisturizer (Tarte is my favorite) with a very fine milled powder over it seems to work better. So I picked this up at ulta. I only bought the refill, so I can't comment on the compact itself. It's cheaper o buy the refill only. This is a very finely milled powder with a slight shimmery look but not glittery. I'm too old for glitter and shine just makes all your imperfections stand out.

I use both a kabuki brush and the sponge method. Kabuki on the whole face and the sponge on the areas I want to hide. This made the pores on my nose disappear. Cut back on my shine and just looked marvelous. I tried other powder foundations and found they did nothing to me but dry me out. This one does not. Thank you MUA'ers for steering me toward this product. It's going to be great now that the warmer months are near. No breakouts so far, but I've only been using it for 4 days, so I'm not sure if my pores are getting clogged yet. So far so good. I'll update later to let you know if I still like it.