April 19, 2014 | 1086 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 4

Price: 5! (It was $56 CAN + tx for a 50 mL tube!)

Packaging: 3 (inverted tube with snap cap)

Buy again: yes

---------------------------

Despite the high price tag, I would buy this again, and here's why:

1. It is thick, but not sticky or pasty. It is smooth, and applies well and gets completely absorbed into my skin leaving it feeling soft and smooth. My skin does not get oily with this on!

2. It lightly moisturizes as well, so you don't need to apply moisturizer AND SPF (however, I have combination/normal skin, so if you have dry skin you will still need a lotion)

3. Extremely waterproof. Good for me, because I tend to work out a lot during the day and I sweat buckets (literally), and I know this stays on.

4. This doesn't break me out, provided I remove it properly. I use EVOO to remove it in the evening and I don't have any problems.

I bought this for my summer moisturizer; I figured I'd be out in the sun more often. I wore it to a friend's BBQ the other day; it was 30 degrees out, and very hot and sunny. My arms and legs got mildly burned, but not my face!

This sunscreen uses a Zinc Oxide and Octinoxate base (13%, 7% respectively) for protection, so it is in fact broad spectrum (Covers UVA I, UVA II, and UVB). In Canada this is known as "Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 50" for some reason, but it is the same thing.

The one complaint I have: the price. Yeesh, $56... for 50 mL. Granted, that will last me at least an entire summer of daily wear, and it's not oily, or greasy looking, and it doesn't sting.

Packaging is pretty boring: a small inverted blue plastic tube with a snap/flip cap. The opening is small so you get perfect control over how much is dispensed. I use about a pearl-sized amount for my whole face (about the size of 2-3 peas, I guess). As far as high performance SPF goes, I like this, so it's staying! (Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPFs leave me feeling greasy, and dry my skin out).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2009 11:54:00 PM More reviews by prblms4loki

I bought this on the recommendation of a dermatologist after she looked over a list of sunscreens I had provided.

I really really like this product. I apply it after my usual moisturizer, and while it doesn't mattify my skin, it does not leave a heavy film like most sunscreens tend to do. It absorbs into my skin within minutes and I can apply primer and makeup without any fear of it all melting away within minutes.

One thing that I have to disagree with from other reviewers is that this sunscreen should not stay on all day. Sunscreen degrades during the day anyways, and this one only has the staying power of a few hours. There is no reason for it to be left on the face at the end of the day. In fact, in my opinion, most of the time when I wash my face at night, it's really easy and it's just really removing my makeup, and I don't feel like the sunscreen is still stuck to my face.

It's not exactly the great protection in the world (unfortunately, derms recommend Neutrogena Helioplex, I hate it but it's the best so I use it), but I still have a little left and am planning to use it on cloudy/rainy days when I don't need as heavy protection. If Shiseido used helioplex, I would definitely repurchase and use this for every suncare need!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2009 10:49:00 AM More reviews by alliebear109

Frist, I was concerned that the cream would make me break out. However, when I use the ultimate cleansing oil first, followed by Cetaphil I have remained break out free. Another reason why I don't think I have been breaking out is because I put a moisturizer under the sunscreen (Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream SPF 15) It has a very matte finish and doesn't make me oily,like many sunscreens do. I also love the high SPF in this product. I am 24 and have no signs of wrinkles and want to keep it that way! I can't wait to test this out on an upcoming trip to Mexico.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2009 2:24:00 AM More reviews by vena309

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really do like this product due to the fact that it gives me a matte finish without that oil/greasy look. Unfortunately, for some reason I find it to clog my pores even when I use Shiseido's ultimate oil cleanser to wash the product off follow with a cream cleanser. I didn't like the smell at all. It's got a funny smell to it that makes me wonder if whatever ingredients are in this product is any safe. Then a week ago I read something online about an esthetician who use to work for well known cosmetic industry who know only uses organic/natural skincare products. She had mentioned that one of the main secret ingredients that most commercial cosmetic companies use in their skincare line is formaldehyde. She stated that consumers don't normally know all the exact ingredients that are being used in a product is because it is not regulated by the state that companies have to list all their ingredients. Then it clicked my mind that that funny smell I've been trying to detect in shiseido's sunscreen smells some what like formaldehyde. If you have ever experienced the smell of formaldehyde then you would also agree with me that the sunscreen does smell somewhat like it. Besides, formaldehyde are chemicals that are being used to preserve things such as human skin to stay fresh longer without being rotten. So that makes a lot sense why almost all companies would use that type of chemical as part of their secret ingredients to make the skin look fresher longer. Although, I like shiseido's sunscreen and still use it from time to time when I really need that mattify look. I'm beginning to wonder if shiseido's products are really safe and healthy to use on my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2009 2:38:00 PM More reviews by jjkrh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Man, I so wanted to love this cream. I had read the reviews and checked out the boards. It seemed to be a godsend for oily skin. I was ready to be mattified. But alas, it did absolutely nothing for me. Now sure, I wasn't expecting miracles, but I was expecting a teensy bit of something good. However, it felt heavy on my face the entire day, it revealed flakes I never knew I had, and my makeup never settled and looked cakey. And to top it all off....I could feel the pores clogging all day. And new pimples this morning. Oh well. I am glad it has worked for some of you. Just did not work for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2009 10:33:00 PM More reviews by SoPolished

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Wonderful product. I will never be without this. Sun protection is so important!

I have not had any trouble with white residue or being oily. I do usually use Philosophy The Present over it....

This stuff is very expensive but worth it, imo. What I like best is that it is a strong sunscreen, but not at all irritating to my VERY sensitive facial skin. I use retin-a, and I can use this with no problem.

Also, it doesnt sweat or rub off during the day. As a matter of fact- I find that I need to use an oil cleanser to remove it. A bit of a PITA with my nighttime routine, but reminds me- that during the day, this stuff is staying put!

Highly reccommend this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2009 9:15:00 AM More reviews by Lizawithaz

This is one of my all time favorite spf products. I have combo/dry skin but tend to get shiney and I hate that. I got a sample of this and thought I would never use it because it was SO thick and white, how could I ever handle that, it would be greasy or heavy or make me oily. WRONG! This thick white cream doesn't leave the usual white cast on my face from most mineral spf's despite it's hugely high % of zinc oxide. It absorbs into the skin and doesn't feel heavy in the least. The amazing thing is SHINE CONTROL. This sunscreen does more to control my shine then any shine control product I ever used. It stays matte all day and doesn't budge, even when I sweat on the treadmill. My only complaint, and it's a big one, where are the other bells and whistles? The literature talks about an antioxidant it contains but it's not high up on the ingredient list and I'd also much rather have lots of antioxidants, not just be told one is special. I'd be much happier if this was more of a one stop shop with some other beneficial skin care ingredients, so I definitely say you have to use a serum or moisturizer under it to get the antioxidants you should be using to boost the efficacey of your sunscreen. Other than that, love it. Even the lady who does my peels couldn't believe how well this performed despite it's initial appearance as a thick goopey heavy spf. Definitely recommended for anyone looking for serious sun protection.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by parapara01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Pros:
    High protection
    Good UV filters
    Very portable, good package

Cons:
    Very drying
    Smells aweful
    Difficult to remove

Conclusion:
    I bought both this for the face and the 55 for the face + body. I really didn't like this cream after 4 days. The SA mentioned that this is a great way of eliminating the need for moisturizer, but it became so drying that I needed more moisture. Trying to get it off completely porbably added to the dryness I experienced, and this is during summer in Melbourne. I've since stopped using it all together and use the 55 lotion of my face and body now, and its excellent!

Alternative:
    Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ Face + Body - much better formula with the same high level of protection, and bigger quantity

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2009 3:22:00 AM More reviews by Jagesy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have repurchased this many many times and still love it like I did when I first got it. I have slightly sensitive combination skin that can be oily in summer and flaky in winter and I find that this suncream keeps the oil down in summer (once it's been on for a few minutes, it can feel a little oily first thing) but doesn't make my skin dry out in winter. I actually use it as a primer sometimes to keep my skin matte under makeup. It also has a high SPF which is great for my fairish skin. Definitely recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2009 4:05:00 AM More reviews by makemeup25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had to return this because it made my face feel very tight within 3 hrs or so. It hurt :( It leaves me a bit of a white cast, however it does protect me from burning. I'm sensitive to sun and heat; so when I had this on while I blow dried my hair, my face didn't feel a burning sensation. I do love the matte finish! That part kind of made my dialated pores less apparent. I'm thinking about buying this in the summer.