September 22, 2014 | 1834 users online

Lips - Burt's Bees - Lip Shimmers - Rhubarb

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2008 11:24:00 PM More reviews by aneffigy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have the Lip Shimmers in a few different colors, but Rhubarb is my favorite. I love the tingle you get when you put the Shimmers on, and this color is my favorite because it really gives me some darker color, but it's not too dark - just sheer enough.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2008 2:24:00 PM More reviews by thecappysmom

I like the idea of natural ingredients and avoiding harmful chemicals, so I have periodically dabbled in Burt's Bees products. Occasionally, the results have been disappointing, as was the case with this lip shimmer. Bottom line, the consistency and color combined to give me the look of a little kid who just drank a big glass of Kool Aid. There were no testers where I bought this, so I chose the shade, Rhubarb, based on the color at the end of the tube. I can't say if another color might have been better, but I doubt it, except for the palest shades, because the formula seemed to bleed and give that ring-around-the-mouth effect. That Rhubarb reacted with my chemistry to create the awful Kool-Aid shade just served to make it worse. I don't throw many purchases away, but after languishing in the bottom of my makeup bag for a while this one was a goner. : (

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2008 12:50:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Liked the look of it, but alas where I live many shops seems to have a policy against testers, and unlike the US, one usually can't return cosmetic products after purchase. I now see why: it makes good economic sense.

This looked good in the tube, and lippies called "rhubarb" tend to be a decent usable colour for the pale redhead.

The reality once on lips was a little different. It was also far too minty, and my lips stung. It is also not recommended to kiss anyone while wearing this.

Sorry, not recommended. Back to the trusty old glosses: Clinique Butter Shines in Adore U and Berry Blush, and Aveda Lip Glaze in Raspberry Tea. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2008 3:10:00 PM More reviews by sanckensmom

I wore this one time, hated it, and threw it in the trash. My lips felt dry the first time I wore this, so I came to my trusty MUA and read about the menthol in it, yuck! Why would a company put menthol in a lip product, I was not about to wait and see if it would dry my lips out, I just threw it away, nice color though...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by AliceF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I was quite disappointed in this product. I picked it up because I'd heard rave reviews from friends at school, not on their cosmetics, but on the rest of their skin products.
The colour is so pretty: a fresh, lively pink, exactly the colour of rhubarb when in pie. Yum! The flavour also is medicinally delightful, as is the wonderful tingle one experiences for the first ten or so minutes after application. But that's where the pleasure ends.
Here are the problems. It doesn't act like a cosmetic so much as it does like a lip balm. I tend to use mine more for going to bed than for going to work. It doesn't go on evenly. Instead, it streaks and if you have any chapped skin or flakes, forget about it. This will look like a freakish, grotesque mess. Little bits of colour will cling to chapped peices. You are better off fighting with a regular lipstick or gloss than this hybrid.
This was a bad purchase for me and never really looked great on my warm NC 20 caucasian skin, but my student, a 22 year old cool toned Asian girl looked sensational in it and had no problems with application in the summer. She could not wear it in the winter either. So, something to keep in mind!
Another thing, this little tube goes fast, so don't let the cheap price fool you. If it works for you, it might add up! But who wouldn't pay big bucks for their HG?

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2008 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Glossgirl7

I love this color. It's exactly the same color as my lips, but just a little darker. It has a great peppermint tingle. It has the perfect combination of color and just a hint of shine. It would probably look awesome with gloss over it too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by Gabster90

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A nice neutral color. Its like a tinted lip balm though its called lip shimmer. I like the fact I can wear it everyday and in parties. And its easy to apply. Will repurchase.
Update: I'm getting really tired of the peppermint oil bothering my lips. I won't repurchase unless they get rid of the peppermint. Sucks though since its unlikey they will change the ingredients. I like the color.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2007 8:20:00 PM More reviews by juladuula

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm a fan of the Burt's Bees lip balm line in general, so I thought I'd try one of the lip shimmers. I initially purchased "Papaya", because it looked like a cool coral red judging from the color on the cap. I was mistaken...the shade was wrong on me and made my teeth a bit yellow (I'm very fair with cool undertones--I use whatever the lightest foundation shade is.) However, my mom happened to have the Rhubarb shade in her possession, so we ended up making a trade. It was definitely for the best--the pinky-mauve shade looks great with fair skin, brightens my teeth, and is really awesome if you're feeling lazy and just feel like putting on minimal makeup--this gloss dresses up a bare face nicely. My mom, whose skin is on the fair side but with yellow undertones, actually looked much better in the Papaya shade, which was too warm for me (although I'd recommend it for those who can pull off warmer lipstick shades.)
Like the lip balms, these lip shimmers are very nourishing, but I took off a lippie because, as many have already mentioned, they don't really have much staying power and require frequent reapplication. I'm also not crazy about the price of the tube, which is about double what I'm used to spending on a lip balm. Very good overall.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2007 1:49:00 PM More reviews by RW28

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice color, easy to wear on the go. I like this product, plus the price is really cheap.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2007 4:34:00 AM More reviews by bblackmaria

this lips shimmer is super cute. it gives natural looking with a little hint of shimmer.. not too much, not too little.

however.. the reason why i wouldn't buy this product again is because despite all the great qualities it has, i'm allergic to that minty thing in it.. whatever it is. it makes my lips feel dry, itchy and a little numb the next day.

yeah.. pretty sad that i finally found the cutest, most natural looking lip shimmer with very low price but i just can't use it..