Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 12/28/2007 2:13:00 PM

Im torn on if i would re-purchase... i got this product with the vitimin c powder and was really hoping for more than it really delivered however my skin was brighter for sure. Thats not something i normally notice nor was I even aware i was really looking for. Im unsure as to what really caused the effect though. I am now out of this product and have been trying the vitimin c powder with a few other products to see if that is the component. I have to admit that for a few weeks i was consistently using the vitimin c with alpha hydrox oil free and that had a very nice effect. A really beautiful glow. Ive tried the vitimin c in a few other things too.... but nothing to report really. The search goes on

on 12/8/2007 7:48:00 PM

I use this every day and night. During the day I mix the vit c powder with it. I really don't know if it does aything, but I do know the whole system works so I will keep using. I kind of like the smell to it also. I know alot of people don't.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this for 3 weeks straight, and honestly, I cant tell a difference. I stopped using it and started using skinmedica's vitamin c complex in its place, and saw a big difference in just a week (more even tone, brighter complexion, acne spots fading). so I will not repurchase the philosophy serum. I did like the consistency of the serum, it was very light and absorbed quickly. I liked the earthy/herbal smell. I dont like serums that come in dropper bottles though because they oxidize more quickly due to the exposure to air, especially if they have vitamin C in them. I noticed that the When Hope is Not Enough serum became more yellow-colored (a sign of oxidation) just after 3 weeks. I know this also has peptides in it, but honestly I didnt see any difference, which is unfortunate.

on 11/26/2007 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i use this as part of the makeup optional kit. i can't ever tell if serum does anything, but used as part of the set, i guess it works pretty well. anyhow i can't NOT use this anymore because i'm so used to it, so i guess maybe i'm addicted!

on 11/26/2007 6:29:00 AM

i really wanted to like this serum as I'm a big fan of their microdelivery face wash and hope in a jar moisturiser. I have very acne prone skin and both of these products worked wonders for my skin and gave me a nice glow! i keep rying the serum as I want it to work but everytime i use it it breaks me out around my jaw line ad seem to give me black heads so I think i'm going to have to give it up! the only reason i gave it 2 lipssticks is that it did seem to firm my skin. So on with the search again for a good serum? any recommendations??

on 11/20/2007 1:02:00 AM

I like it, it's pretty inexpensive and I have nicer skin from using it, usually at nighttime but sometimes for day use as well.

Layers nicely with other products, and absolutley firmed up my face & neck and keeps the hyperpigmentation under control for now. I was using this all last year then didn't repurchase for a few months and found that I really missed it.

The eye dropper thing bugged me at first, but now I'm fine with it, though would prefer a sturdy plastic version ( I'm clumsy) . No smell, and sinks in pretty quicky, by the time I brush my teeth , it's safe to put on my cream.

on 10/8/2007 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I received this as part of the Makeup Optional skincare set. I was already using the Purity cleanser, HIAJ, and the Microdelivery peel, so I thought this product wasn't going to make a lot of difference, as I've never really noticed a huge difference in my skin when using a serum. I've been using this for a few weeks, and I'm surprised at the difference this makes. My sensitive, rosacea skin is looking smoother and seems a little less reactive. The scent reminds me of Vitabath, a scent I really enjoy. A surprisingly effective product!

on 8/15/2007 12:11:00 AM

Not for me. Broke me out in cystic acne.

on 7/24/2007 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I like the product, hate the packaging. I find droppers to be really annoying. My skin feels better having used this though, so I would buy again. I buy the dry sensitive KIT though, and it comes in it so I may as well use it!! I enjoy Philosphy though, I think they make nice products.

UPDATE-- I am giving this a 4. I'm liking this more now. I stopped using it for awhile and I noticed my face seemed duller. I also like the fact that it contains a mild hair retardant-- now I also apply some along my jawline to keep those stray hairs away!! It helps a little, I think. It is really light anf slightly moisturizing, you definitely still need a moisturizer.... at least I do. I am dry and I've had no probs with breakouts or redness. I don't notice a smell.

on 7/17/2007 7:30:00 PM

I LOVE THIS SERUM! I apply it daily prior to my facial spf lotion & I notice that my skin looks smoother & tighter. I notice that people kept mentioning the scent, but it doesn't bother me & it fades after it dries. Some other antioxidant serums made me breakout, this one hasn't.

Popular Face Skincare Products