Dior Hypnotic Poison

on 12/20/2011 6:26:00 PM

If you like vanilla, you will probably like this perfume. Actually, I think it smells very similar to bath and body works warm vanilla sugar, which I do like but don't wear. It opens with a small blast of licorice along with the dominant vanilla, but thankfully that disappears quick. My main problem with this is the price, for what it is, a basic vanilla scent, it's quiet pricey. I haven't actually found a dior perfume I like, but still, I expect more from a high end fragrance and designer, more depth, more character, more development. I can find this same scent at the drug store for a fraction of this price.

on 12/13/2011 11:22:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I was never interested in perfume of any kind until early this year when a friend of mine whipped out a fancy looking bottle which happened to be a DKNY Be Delicious. I sprayed abit of it and didn't like it but she was about to venture out of the country and if I had sum cash prepared she would buy me a bottle or 2. As for the choice of perfume she told me 2 explore on the internet and lo and behold! I discovered a whole new world of fragrances. To cut a long story short my current signature scent is Vera Wang Princess and I never imagined I'd love another fragrance until I sniffed Hypnotic Poison at a newly opened department store and I thought OMG! I had never smelled anything so warm and delicious and addictive! Yeh, I don't know anything about notes but I know a magnificent perfume when I smell one; I was instantly hooked and though it was very expensive i.e $130 for a 3.4oz at Foschini's I knew I'd never have peace if I didn't buy it so I went ahead and did. And I don't regret it coz IMO its the perfect fragrance for all seasons. On my skin it lasted for hours and only disapeared after I showered. If it wasn't for the price I'd give it a 5 but eish, the staff is costly. Still I see myself wearing this fragrance for the rest of my life or until Dior makes the terrible decision 2 discontinue

on 12/4/2011 9:31:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Smells like coconut but not sweet, fruity, coconut. I find it a little bit lifeless and their is a weird unpleasant smell I can't place under the coconut smell. It's just okay nothing fabulous.

on 11/28/2011 10:03:00 PM

I was getting sick of my foodie vanilla scents like Pink Sugar, CSP's Coco Vanille, Laura Mercier's Vanilla Gourmand, and JS's Fancy... so when I read the high reviews of Hypnotic Poison (sexy/musky non-gourmand grown-up vanilla) I thought "how come I never tried this before?!" Someone gave me the green Tendre Poison years ago and though I liked it and used it occasionally, it wasn't in my favorites...

So w/o even smelling Hypnotic Poison, I ordered online (fragrancenet.com is -surprisingly!- more expensive, so I got the 1.7 oz 69 usd from sephora)... I tried it & was kinda alarmingly surprised.. it was pretty strong for an EDT, but like what the other reviewers said after 15 minutes I was IN LOVE! It smells so different from my other EDTs... I kept sniffing my wrists throughout the day and at night I could still smell it. Its like a seductive licorice for me.. Can't wait to try this out! I think I found my WINTER signature scent. Will buy again! Though Sephora doesn't carry the 3.4 oz EDT, Macy's does online. :)

on 11/25/2011 2:58:00 PM

I ordered samples from The Perfumed Court of this and Pure Poison and Tendre Poison..Not impressed with this one. Smells like burnt vanilla, with a musty rather stale aroma. My C.O. Bigelow Vanilla smells better, although extremely similar. Nope, not a Dior fan.

on 11/24/2011 7:55:00 PM

I love this scent, particularly in the winter. It is so comforting to put your nose down your polo neck and smell this wafting up all day. The notes I get are coconut, vanilla, almonds and heliotrope. It has very good sillage and excellent staying power for an edt. Would purchase again.

on 11/24/2011 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my favourite perfume. It does smell like root beer, but in a good way somehow ;) Long-lasting. Like previous reviewer I smoke too and it covers the smell. The product is expensive but worth it!

on 11/23/2011 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This is a vanilla, with a hint of licorice or root beer. It smells sweet, but still has that vanilla sweet musk fragrance. I usually wear vanilla fields, amber romance by Victoria's secret, or sensual amber from bath and body works.

If you love the way vanilla smells, or like sweeter musk, then you'll enjoy this. This truly is a grown up vanilla, and doesn't smell gourmet. Although it does have a licorice smelling top note, it still doesn't smell like food, just sweet, musky, and sexy. I smoke cigarettes, and it's strong enough that non smokers ask me my perfume so it's strong enough to cover smoke, but light enough that it doesn't knock people down.

again, if you enjoy vanillas that don't smell like a bakery, you'll love this perfume.

on 11/20/2011 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted this scent to work on me soo bad. I have been on the hunt for a more seductive, evening vanilla perfume. After reading reviews nearly all day I set out to Ulta to test Hypnotic Poison, Addict, and Organza Indecence...Sadly, all were epic failures (see reviews for these other frags also). I had tried this scent years ago and disliked it, thinking perhaps I was too young to appreciate it, I tried it again. The drydown of this is absolutely to die for - I mean compulsively sniffing your wrist good. However, the long and tedious journey through the balmy, resinous, root beer jungle to get there takes far to long and is not worth the reward..*sigh*...I envy those of you that are able to carry this scent so warmly. Great sillage though, and thus a 3-star rating - I cannot fault HP for not working with my chemistry.

on 11/18/2011 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm mixed about this scent... it doesn't knock my socks off although I feel it is one of those scents that make you feel "dressed up" and ready to hit the town. But something about Hypnotic has been reminding me of some other from the past... now I finally remember... Bob Mackie's scent from the 1980's.... very similar and hard to come by these days.

Popular Fragrances