July 28, 2014 | 2025 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Poison

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2008 5:33:00 AM More reviews by jeanol

I love this but just cannot wear it. It is such an overwhelming, distinctive perfume......needs a lot of confidence to wear

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2008 12:47:00 AM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When my mom wore this in the '80s, it always smelled like grape cough syrup to me. She recently offered me a huge, 6.8-ounce bottle of Poison EDP and I was tempted to add it to my collection just for the luxury aspect-- but I sprayed it on lightly and all I could think was "cough syrup and wintergreen disinfectant."
It's heavy, ominous, cloying, and very dated, IMO.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 11:32:00 PM More reviews by meltorme2005

Love this stuff. Just a dab will do ya. We're talking one tiny spritz and it lasts all day. It's a very sexy and unique fragrance. The bottle looks cool, too.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2008 6:51:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Apt name for a perfume that can put me down with a migraine. I mean, I see lights, get tunnel vision, then fall into a two-day abyss of cranial agony. If I'm lucky it will only send me into a fit of allergic misery. And it's so STRONG! It's worse than Clinique Aromatics Elixir, which just give me horrible flashbacks to kindergarten.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2008 6:29:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is gagging-bad. Strong, overpowering tuberose flowers on a corpse that is starting to rot with that horrible sweet smell.... I abhor it. I can't believe it's considered a classic and that it's still in production when so many fantastic things are not. Note (from Now Smell This): orange blossom, honey, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, plum, rosewood, rose, tuberose, wild berries, cistus labdanum, carnation, jasmine, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, vanilla, heliotrope and opopanax.
Ah, I see. Plum and berries (wild ones, no less) doing their rotting routine. Great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2008 8:41:00 PM More reviews by niferphoto

I can't help it - I'm a sucker for the scent. From the first ad campaign they had me, a perfume called poison! Who could resist. That being said I think there are 2 keys to it's sucess: 1). you need to use the Esprit De Parfum not the EdT. I find that the scent is really different in the bottle with the stopper (non-spray). Plus the spray bottle deposits way too much scent at one time. That's the whole reason people don't like this scent - it's too strong to be applied with a spritzer top. the 2nd is your own chemistry; on some people this scent just works - on others it really IS death (haha) - follow these two tricks (well if you can call your body chemistry a trick) and you'll leave them swooning in your wake. Smells like honey, blackberries, burgundy wine and spice.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2008 7:56:00 PM More reviews by alabasterkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great currant-y cold as ice oriental. One spritz is enough for an elephant, however, so it must be applied sparingly - overapplication will utterly ruin it. I feel like it's only appropriate in the winter, for some reason. It's sweet, feminine, and strong!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 9:02:00 PM More reviews by SadSadie

I first started wearing Poison when I was very young (still in high school) and back then...it was very dramatic. My classmates often commented on it, they either loved it (the girls) or hated it (the boys). Now that I inhabit the (mostly) adult world, I find it's not so much of a shocker or a conversation piece anymore. I also, unfortunately find it doesn't really work on me. It's still very big, very lush, the perfume equivalent of a grand Shiraz, but I now find it kind of annoying (at least on me). I actually wouldn't mind smelling this on a man!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2008 3:21:00 PM More reviews by slwrigle

One word... nauseating. I tried this based on the reviews that it is "dark and sensuous" which is totally my thing, unfortunately I didn't find poison to be either of those things. The smell is sooo strong, I literally used two drops out of the bottle on my wrists and the smell just made me sick. It is just way too strong. BTW, I am totally into perfumes, have never had that happen before where a smell just made me feel nauseous. Also, I don't know how to explain this, but it smells really dated, like the 80s. Glad I could return it and get my money back, I think I'll stick to Gucci as my HG of perfume for when I want to feel sexy and mysterious.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2008 6:00:00 PM More reviews by electricbubblewrap

I adore almost everything about this perfume. I think the name "Poison" is such an alluring name for a fragrance. The bottle is so simple and beautiful to look at on my dresser. I LOVED the smell coming out of the bottle. I'm too young to have experienced the 80's Poison crave so I have no tainted memories of this perfume.

But...on me it started off smelling like potpourri and then changed into a powdery smell and that was it. I got zero of the sweet, plummy grape smell that wafted out of the bottle. It's extremely disappointing because I really want to be able to wear this absolutely exquisite perfume. I think I'll try spraying (VERY lightly) onto one of my shirts and see if it works that way but on my skin, it's just not meant to be.

EDIT: tried it again on my skin after showering - different results but still not pleasant. I still got potpourri but then I suddenly smelled something sharp and pungent and VERY reminiscient of B.O. The dry down smells nutty...like peanut butter. My gosh, what horrible things my chemistry does to this perfume! Or vice versa...I still give it 4 lippies just because I love the smell out of the bottle.