October 25, 2014 | 767 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Smooth Down Butter Treat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 10:51:00 PM More reviews by soniawonia

My sister uses this, and she has gorgeous hair. She flat irons it everyday too and it looks like she doesnt do anything bad to it cause its so healthy. Im gonna have to get me some.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 10:51:00 PM More reviews by fresh_2_deff

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!
    Omggg!
    If u want your hair to be soft, then get this product for sure!
    Makes your hair SUPER mega soft in just a few minutes!
    Other products take weeks or days to do what Redken can do in just a few minutes!
    Works like magic! I LOVE IT! Glad I bought it! Wel.. my dad bought it for me, but w/e.
    OMG
    IT'S AWESOME
    AWESOME
    AWESOME!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2007 10:56:00 PM More reviews by pinkmagdusia

This is one of few products that make my hair very soft and easy to comb. I apply only to the lengths because it makes my scalp greasy if I apply to the roots. The only problem is that it builds up and I have to use a clarifying shampoo weekly, which is not good for colored hair. I wish I could find something else that works this well, because this product gets boring after a while, but the results are good enough for me to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2007 2:37:00 AM More reviews by allawallaballa

A stylist recommended this to me when my hair was absolutely perma-fryed and damaged. I have very short, straight, thick hair but had a salon color catastrophe that forced me to have to strip color out at home. Butter Treat, along w/Joico K-pak, have helped keep my hair intact while I trim regularly in an attempt to cut the damaged parts off. Butter Treat contains Amodimethicone (for the 'cone conscious among us) but in combination with other ingredients that make it water soluble (or at least this is my understanding). I have been using this for at least six months now and have tried other moisturizing treatments within that time frame but none have worked nearly as well. I tend to use this as a deep treatment and leave it in for 15 to 30 minutes.

Potential Issues One May Have: The smell is really great initially but does eventually get overwhelming (small price to pay if you ask me) and the fact that Butter Treat is somewhat difficult to rinse out of one's hair (so you have to be sure to rinse longer than you normally would if you want to wash the product out completely). continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 11:05:00 AM More reviews by tmpr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Me: very curly brown hair (see profile), quite versatile, however. I straighten my hair at times.

I have very, very curly hair. I think when dry it shrinks some two inches, at least. However, for some reason it straightens really nicely, and it keeps that shape, without any frizzies, until I wash it . I must say that I always straighten my hair using magnetic rollers (the plastic rollers that require wet hair). Before I start rolling, I apply this butter to my damp hair and then I comb it through.

I like it because it smooths down my hair when I am rolling it, and it makes my hair feel incredibly soft. As many with curly hair know, our hair can be very vulnerable, dry, and can easily become overprocessed. So, I find that this condioner works as a nice protector. Once I am done rolling my hair, I sit under a hood dryer, and when my hair is dry, the roller just slip out because of the conditioner leave my hair so slick (not greasy though, you cannot feel the products) and soft. This butter also amplifies the shininess. An excellent product for my hair. I highly recommend it as a treatment if you have very dry hair. One negative, it is pricey (at least for me). However, it is so worth it that I shell out the $15-16, also, I little goes a long way so it lasts for a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2007 8:44:00 PM More reviews by daiseykins

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using Butter Treat on my hair for about 4 weeks now. I have fine hair but a lot of it! My hair is naturally curly/wavy and I have always been prone to frizz if it's not well hydrated. I am in love with this product! I use it every 3 days or so along with the smooth down shampoo and conditioner. My hair has not felt this good or looked this great in years. I am so glad that I took the SA at Ulta's recommendation to buy the trial size of all 3 before buying the full size of all three. This lasted me about 5 days and my hair is about 4 inches down from shoulders. I will definately keep this product on hand, it very moisturizing and really keeps my hair ...well Smooth!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2007 3:20:00 PM More reviews by GStelz

This product is a godsend. I have fairly fine hair - but lots of it. So, it's thick but not coarse. I heat style it about 4 times a week (blow dry at night, then hit it w/ my iron in the AM). With winter approaching this can be particularly abusive and cruel to my hair!

Every other week I'll apply a generous amount in the shower then use a clip to loosely pull it up. Then I go about a prolonged routine - while you're waiting for the Butter Treat to do its thing, it's a good time to exfoliate, shave, etc. Or use it while sitting in the bath! Another good trick is to put in the product then go over your hair w/ a blow dryer for a few minutes. This mimics what they do in the salon.

If my hair is particularly static-y I'll work a little Butter Treat through out the ends of my hair then style it (this might be too much if you've just done the in-shower regiment).

This stuff really helps calm down and hydrate my hair. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2007 12:24:00 PM More reviews by nouvelle

I love butter treat. I use it when my hair is feeling like it needs a moisture kick, maybe once every 3-4 weeks. I have color treated, somewhat fine hair that I blowdry every day. I put this on in the shower for about 5 min and rinse out (rinse well!). my hair is perfectly soft, it doesnt weigh it down and it seems hydrated. when my hair is moisturized I dont feel the need to use a shine serum and it always makes my hair color look better for some reason. i only buy the little travel sizes of this - and they last forever because you only need a little bit. I am on my 2nd tube in about 9 months & I will re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2007 1:09:00 AM More reviews by mellimello

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my HG hair treatment. I usually switch between this and All Soft Heavy Cream and they both make my hair so soft. My hair is naturally wavy and very coarse due to excessive heat/dye damage, and this just makes my hair look really healthy. My favorite way to use this is to put a good sized handful onto dry hair and wrap my hair into a big, warm towel. If I'm not going anywhere for the night then I'll sleep on it, and if I'm going out then I'll leave it in for at least an hour. I noticed immediate results when I do this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2007 6:08:00 PM More reviews by meh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received a dreadful scalp oil treatment which left my hair impossibly tangly for several weeks, until I found this hair treatment. This is the only thing I can use now if I want to comb my hair out in under an hour. If you have severely tangly hair this is a HG. I have a sensitive, oily scalp and dry, fine & thin, stick straight hair. It smells nice, and the texture is just like most deep conditioners, not buttery or frighteningly greasy as the name implies.