April 21, 2014 | 1891 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by iamcasihart

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Coco EDP is spicy and opulent with unsurpassed projection and longevity. Coco smells of incense and sweet spices with a touch of clean flowers resting on a deep, perfectly-blended base. Wearing this makes me want to throw on my favorite black dress with some killer heels! Wearing Coco inspires me to complete that look with a smokey eye, glossy lips and wear my long, brunette hair in soft, tousled curls. This could never be my "every day" perfume, nor is it my favorite, but it is definately a timeless beauty worthy of it's glorious reputation. I will always have Coco in my collection.

Revision on July 12, 2010-
Coco EDP is, without a doubt, my favorite perfume! After a few days with my generous sample, I tried wearing a few of my other favorites. Soon enough, I was singing, "Nothing Compares to You," as I lovingly thought of beautiful Coco...with all of her strength, sensuality, beauty and mojo! I simply had to have a full bottle of this masterpiece. I have never had a perfume impress me like this! Many people subcribe to the notion of certain frags for warm weather and certain frags for cold weather. Most would say that Coco should be reserved for Fall and Winter. I look forward to wearing her then, but...For the record, I live in the high desert of California. In the summer, the temperatures are between 105-110 degrees! Yet, I am wearing Coco in this dry, miserable heat and it is BEAUTIFUL!

Additionally, now that I have discovered this gem, I am unable to enjoy most of my older favorites. Many of them smell too "sweet" or too "simple." None of them have even half of the character of Coco.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What more can be said about this legendary oriental that hasn’t already been said before? Coco is, inarguably, one of the best perfumes ever created, a true masterpiece… It is the epitome of class, elegance & feminine seduction presented in a beautiful Art Deco flacon befitting its grandness.

We all know the story behind Coco’s creation, but for those of you who don't, here it is: in March 1979, perfumer Jacques Polge visited the late Chanel’s rue Cambon apartment for the first time. He was both stunned & amazed by what he saw… here was a woman who was renowned for her love of simple, restrained lines, yet was living in a place where such an incredible profusion, an eclectic mix of styles reigned supreme. In order to understand, he decided to pay tribute to her by creating his first feminine fragrance for the company. And what a truly marvelous creation! For Coco is a splendid fusion of East & West -- just like her home which is decorated with Venetian chandeliers, exquisite hand-painted Chinese lacquered screens, & other vintage furniture & exotic knick-knacks amassed during her extensive travels around the globe. Coco definitely transports you back to the Old World -- to ancient Persia, Rome & Greece; to the opulence of the Baroque period; to Istanbul of the Ottoman Empire; to the glorious era of the Russian Tsars; to the romance of the Belle Epoque… It reminds me of old books & paintings; sumptuous silks, furs & velvets; centuries-old Middle Eastern souks; intricate Art Nouveau & Art Deco jewelry; classical music, opera & ballet; the sultry Greta Garbo as seductress & World War 1 spy, Mata Hari (I can totally see her wearing this)…

Which is why, given the descriptions above, I’m really surprised that quite a lot of people associate this scent with the 1980s, of all decades. Yes, it came out in 1984, but that doesn’t mean a thing. I suspect that this ‘80s stigma that has been unfairly & undeservingly attached to it is probably due to the blatant abuse of the perfume back then, thereby forever ruining the scent experience for everyone… which is why I feel so fortunate that no one around me wore this perfume while I was growing up (my mom wore Poison & Samsara), thus allowing me the privilege of experiencing this perfume only now in my 30s, with a fresh nose untainted by visions of big hair & shoulder pads. When worn correctly (1-2 sprays, max) & appropriately (a polished, elegant look is a MUST in order to wear this), Coco is a perfume par excellence. It is warm, sensual, luxurious, voluptuous, exotic, mysterious, regal… on me, the EDP is smoldering, intoxicating & oh-so-delicious… all honeyed roses & cinnamon cola …*sigh*… PURE HEAVEN. And it lasts FOREVER (as can be expected from a Chanel). Also, it contains patchouli, a note that I just find unbearable in sugary-sweet gourmands (Miss Dior Cherie & Chopard’s Wish, I'm looking at you!), but which I can comfortably wear in classics like this & Miss Dior (the ‘90s formulation with oak moss).

Of course, my only gripe is the exorbitant price, which means I don’t know when I’ll be able to afford another bottle again... which means I have to reeaally ration this one (I bought this 100ml - my first bottle - from a local discounted perfume retailer at about 30% off the normal retail price, including delivery). But this IS Chanel, after all. And they DO still use mostly natural ingredients, unlike many other perfume houses today, so their price point is justifiable, I guess.

To conclude, if you’re a clean/fresh/aquatic/floral/fruity-floral/tutti-frutti scent type of person, Coco is definitely not for you. But if, like me, you love rich Orientals & are fascinated by Old World grandeur/nostalgia, then Coco is a MUST HAVE in your collection.

The official notes from Chanel:

Top notes : Tunisian Orange Blossom, Sicilian Mandarin.

Middle notes : Damask Rose, Oriental Jasmine, Mimosa from
Provence, Ylang-Ylang from the Comoros.

Base notes : Tonka Bean from Brazil and Venezuela, Indonesian
Patchouli, Somalian Opoponax.

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 8:55:00 PM More reviews by rena10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

love this ! so classy and pretty.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2010 6:11:00 AM More reviews by panda0410

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coco is a classic, the darling of the floriental world and much adored as a sexy, elegant and completely, evocatively all woman. I just adore this perfume! I wont go through the notes, listed here repeatedly, but I would like to say that this review is for the EDT. Much as I love this mystic lady her EDP form is hugely irritating to me and is incredibly heady - you need a great deal of control with this fragrance and trigger happy pump pushers will learn a valuable lesson if they arent careful. As indulgent as this lovely lady is, she takes no prisoners of gluttony, push too many times and you **will** regret it!! A light spray and you will be rewarded by the caress of her blooms, Coco is seductive and sexy, robust but elegant and refined, sophisticated and yet familiar all at the same time! This is definitely evening wear, possibly also cold chilly days - wear this on a hot summer day & she wont be kind to you (or your friends).
My major gripe is the packaging, new or old, I hate them both. I know there are fans of the classic Chanel flacons, but really, they are just awful and they dont travel well either, leaking has been a problem.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by EmpressD

I, personally, adore this scent. I have worn it since I was 15, and have never looked back. Although I have ventured into new territory with scents, I always have a bottle of this on hand, and seem to still end up wearing it at least half the time.

The rich, and spicy oriental scent is perfect for evenings. It's so luxurious smelling that it constantly makes you feel sexy. Each time I wear it, I get a few compliments (which never hurt one's ego, right?). There was a short period, where my chemistry was changing (hormones I suppose), and I couldn't wear it as well... But I'll be damned if I didn't just mist it on all my clothes then! Lol.

Definitely a classic, and definitely my all time favorite.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coco is a gorgeous spicy, floriental perfume. As with all Chanel compositions, I like it only in pure parfum form. They use quality ingredients, but lots of additives which set off allergies in the edt/edp. I personally would only wear it in the evening, as it is a little too much for the day.
I would not repurchase though because there are many other more gorgeous florientals out there I prefer. I'm partial to the Guerlains for this type of perfume anyway, especially as Coco is already the "darling" of several acquaintances. Nice, but not mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2010 2:14:00 AM More reviews by kittyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Coco is regarded with great affection by many perfume wearers, and no wonder. If you apply it lightly, it will caress you for hours. When I first tried it, it was like meeting a new person whom I had somehow always known. I wear the EDP, and dab it from a mini. Coco is the sort of fragrance where you want to be in complete control of how much you put on, and that is best achieved with a mini (I think).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

I honestly only wear this in the evening, because I feel it's too strong for day wear. I have to be careful w/this fragrance though since I've gotten a bit light headed when I applied a single spritz too much. It has the scent of orange blossom/rose/jasmine with tonka bean/sandalwood/vanilla notes. Very strong stuff IMO...be careful not to apply too much!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:23:00 PM More reviews by thelittlelori

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

EDP review: I didn't know it was even possible to get drunk off sniffing perfume, but one spray of Coco does it every time! Certainly boozy, honeyed rose scent that becomes divinely sweet on the dry down for me. I agree with other commentaries that the scent is reminiscent of cough medicine in some ways. Sometimes I'll catch a whiff of it hours after having sprayed it, though, and I find it very pleasant. I consider this my "safe" perfume, nice but not spectacular and intriguing like some Guerlains tend to be.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by fleurazur

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This perfume literally smells like glamour and luxury. I have been wearing it for a day, and even in my sweats I feel like an old fashioned movie star. Unfortunately, there is a caveat. I have a raging headache! I never get headaches. But I usually use only natural products. Another thing, the longer this perfume wears, the more synthetic it smells. I can practically smell the petroleum. Good thing I only got the sample, because I am sad to say I will not be purchasing this stuff. Wish I could. Just too sensitive a constitution I suppose. That's what I get for being green! My system is spoiled. Too pure for Hollywood.