September 18, 2014 | 1409 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by SugarMakeup

This has been my HG of fragrances since it came out in the 80's. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Coco! Classic scent. Some talk about it fading away to nothing. NOT TRUE!! Even if you can't smell it on yourself other people will notice. People hug me at work and inhale deeply, then say "I just had to smell you."
For those who have tried Coco Mademoiselle and didn't care for it, Please try this classic version! Totally different world! I have and wear the Parfume and the EDP all year around, morning and night!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by kdm1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Classic fragrance. I'd say this fragrance and Chanel No. 5 have to be two essential fragrances for a perfume collector.
I love it. I feel elegant and "polished" when I wear this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 11:40:00 PM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this scent, but it does not stay perfection on me for long. It fades and turns totally "meh." Due to the cost, I need it to last. So I've rated it 5 (it's perfection, and I want to cry when I think of how fast it fades) but wouldn't buy it again for that reason.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by fergiefergie

Coco, oh, Coco, how I love you. It was love at first sniff. My sister sent me a deluxe sample of it in 1985 right after I finished college (I was 24). It is my holy grail of fragrances. If I were forced to pick only one frag out of my collection to keep for eternity, it would be Coco. Hands down. I wear it Fall and Winter, both for day and especially for evening.

It has been described well here by reviewers -- rich, elegant, sophisticated, confident. It starts off with spices, amber, warm, rich peach, and some carnation thrown in at first. The middle is where the rose comes in, complete with the moist, fresh earth still clinging to its roots. The dry-down is softer, the rose dies down some, and the carnation and warm peach come back into play. Simply stunning.

My skin is a devourous monster of fragrance, so I lean towards the stronger scents. (If you have this problem too, spray scent in your hair as well.) Coco has good lasting power on me. You can catch whiffs of it in your hair the next morning and faintly on your clothes. The intoxicating scent takes you by surprise the next day and makes your heart skip a beat. Man, I love this stuff. A one-of-a-kind true masterpiece, just like the lady whose name it bears. I am proud to wear it.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2010 5:05:00 AM More reviews by abbyyyy

I love this fragrance. It is delicious. I thought that something like this would be more for the older more mature market, so when I recently went on a quest to find my Chanel fragrance, I tried the various editions of Chance and Mademoiselle, and I didn't really sniff this. I decided to try it on a whim today and I have been sniffing my arm all day. I love it. It is a rich, sweet delicious scent that has developed into something fabulous. It started off slightly soapy on me, but within the first 10 minutes it really settled into my skin and was a rich amber warmth. The base nose is sweet warm vanilla. Love it. Definitely going to purchase it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by iamcasihart

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Coco EDP is spicy and opulent with unsurpassed projection and longevity. Coco smells of incense and sweet spices with a touch of clean flowers resting on a deep, perfectly-blended base. Wearing this makes me want to throw on my favorite black dress with some killer heels! Wearing Coco inspires me to complete that look with a smokey eye, glossy lips and wear my long, brunette hair in soft, tousled curls. This could never be my "every day" perfume, nor is it my favorite, but it is definately a timeless beauty worthy of it's glorious reputation. I will always have Coco in my collection.

Revision on July 12, 2010-
Coco EDP is, without a doubt, my favorite perfume! After a few days with my generous sample, I tried wearing a few of my other favorites. Soon enough, I was singing, "Nothing Compares to You," as I lovingly thought of beautiful Coco...with all of her strength, sensuality, beauty and mojo! I simply had to have a full bottle of this masterpiece. I have never had a perfume impress me like this! Many people subcribe to the notion of certain frags for warm weather and certain frags for cold weather. Most would say that Coco should be reserved for Fall and Winter. I look forward to wearing her then, but...For the record, I live in the high desert of California. In the summer, the temperatures are between 105-110 degrees! Yet, I am wearing Coco in this dry, miserable heat and it is BEAUTIFUL!

Additionally, now that I have discovered this gem, I am unable to enjoy most of my older favorites. Many of them smell too "sweet" or too "simple." None of them have even half of the character of Coco.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What more can be said about this legendary oriental that hasn’t already been said before? Coco is, inarguably, one of the best perfumes ever created, a true masterpiece… It is the epitome of class, elegance & feminine seduction presented in a beautiful Art Deco flacon befitting its grandness.

We all know the story behind Coco’s creation, but for those of you who don't, here it is: in March 1979, perfumer Jacques Polge visited the late Chanel’s rue Cambon apartment for the first time. He was both stunned & amazed by what he saw… here was a woman who was renowned for her love of simple, restrained lines, yet was living in a place where such an incredible profusion, an eclectic mix of styles reigned supreme. In order to understand, he decided to pay tribute to her by creating his first feminine fragrance for the company. And what a truly marvelous creation! For Coco is a splendid fusion of East & West -- just like her home which is decorated with Venetian chandeliers, exquisite hand-painted Chinese lacquered screens, & other vintage furniture & exotic knick-knacks amassed during her extensive travels around the globe. Coco definitely transports you back to the Old World -- to ancient Persia, Rome & Greece; to the opulence of the Baroque period; to Istanbul of the Ottoman Empire; to the glorious era of the Russian Tsars; to the romance of the Belle Epoque… It reminds me of old books & paintings; sumptuous silks, furs & velvets; centuries-old Middle Eastern souks; intricate Art Nouveau & Art Deco jewelry; classical music, opera & ballet; the sultry Greta Garbo as seductress & World War 1 spy, Mata Hari (I can totally see her wearing this)…

Which is why, given the descriptions above, I’m really surprised that quite a lot of people associate this scent with the 1980s, of all decades. Yes, it came out in 1984, but that doesn’t mean a thing. I suspect that this ‘80s stigma that has been unfairly & undeservingly attached to it is probably due to the blatant abuse of the perfume back then, thereby forever ruining the scent experience for everyone… which is why I feel so fortunate that no one around me wore this perfume while I was growing up (my mom wore Poison & Samsara), thus allowing me the privilege of experiencing this perfume only now in my 30s, with a fresh nose untainted by visions of big hair & shoulder pads. When worn correctly (1-2 sprays, max) & appropriately (a polished, elegant look is a MUST in order to wear this), Coco is a perfume par excellence. It is warm, sensual, luxurious, voluptuous, exotic, mysterious, regal… on me, the EDP is smoldering, intoxicating & oh-so-delicious… all honeyed roses & cinnamon cola …*sigh*… PURE HEAVEN. And it lasts FOREVER (as can be expected from a Chanel). Also, it contains patchouli, a note that I just find unbearable in sugary-sweet gourmands (Miss Dior Cherie & Chopard’s Wish, I'm looking at you!), but which I can comfortably wear in classics like this & Miss Dior (the ‘90s formulation with oak moss).

Of course, my only gripe is the exorbitant price, which means I don’t know when I’ll be able to afford another bottle again... which means I have to reeaally ration this one (I bought this 100ml - my first bottle - from a local discounted perfume retailer at about 30% off the normal retail price, including delivery). But this IS Chanel, after all. And they DO still use mostly natural ingredients, unlike many other perfume houses today, so their price point is justifiable, I guess.

To conclude, if you’re a clean/fresh/aquatic/floral/fruity-floral/tutti-frutti scent type of person, Coco is definitely not for you. But if, like me, you love rich Orientals & are fascinated by Old World grandeur/nostalgia, then Coco is a MUST HAVE in your collection.

The official notes from Chanel:

Top notes : Tunisian Orange Blossom, Sicilian Mandarin.

Middle notes : Damask Rose, Oriental Jasmine, Mimosa from
Provence, Ylang-Ylang from the Comoros.

Base notes : Tonka Bean from Brazil and Venezuela, Indonesian
Patchouli, Somalian Opoponax.

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 8:55:00 PM More reviews by rena10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

love this ! so classy and pretty.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2010 6:11:00 AM More reviews by panda0410

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coco is a classic, the darling of the floriental world and much adored as a sexy, elegant and completely, evocatively all woman. I just adore this perfume! I wont go through the notes, listed here repeatedly, but I would like to say that this review is for the EDT. Much as I love this mystic lady her EDP form is hugely irritating to me and is incredibly heady - you need a great deal of control with this fragrance and trigger happy pump pushers will learn a valuable lesson if they arent careful. As indulgent as this lovely lady is, she takes no prisoners of gluttony, push too many times and you **will** regret it!! A light spray and you will be rewarded by the caress of her blooms, Coco is seductive and sexy, robust but elegant and refined, sophisticated and yet familiar all at the same time! This is definitely evening wear, possibly also cold chilly days - wear this on a hot summer day & she wont be kind to you (or your friends).
My major gripe is the packaging, new or old, I hate them both. I know there are fans of the classic Chanel flacons, but really, they are just awful and they dont travel well either, leaking has been a problem.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by EmpressD

I, personally, adore this scent. I have worn it since I was 15, and have never looked back. Although I have ventured into new territory with scents, I always have a bottle of this on hand, and seem to still end up wearing it at least half the time.

The rich, and spicy oriental scent is perfect for evenings. It's so luxurious smelling that it constantly makes you feel sexy. Each time I wear it, I get a few compliments (which never hurt one's ego, right?). There was a short period, where my chemistry was changing (hormones I suppose), and I couldn't wear it as well... But I'll be damned if I didn't just mist it on all my clothes then! Lol.

Definitely a classic, and definitely my all time favorite.