October 20, 2014 | 1390 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this lipstick! I'm not big on red lipstick but Ruby Woo has really won me over. The first red lipstick I got was MAC Russian Red, and I had a negative experience with it making me look veryyyy trashy, I know a lot of people like RR but it just wasn't for me. Anyways, after being scared of red lipstick for years I decided to give Ruby Woo a try after seeing my favorite MAC girl wearing it and looking just gorgeous. I'm so glad I did, I find RW to be a much more flattering shade of red on me, it's a PERFECT pin up style red, where RR is a darker, less matte, bluer red. I know the finish of RW has lost it a lot of lippies because it is very dry, however, I like the uber matte finish! Yes, you do have to take a few extra precautions with this lipstick due to the dryness: exfoliate, balm and liner, but if you're going to wear a bright red lipstick, you should probably be taking those precautions anyway. For me, the dryness adds to the retro glam feel, making it very timeless and much classier than any of the shinier reds. Feels like something Marilyn Monroe would have worn herself, and the matte-ness adds to the lasting power making it stay on FOREVER, literally all night even after drinking and eating! I use Ruby Woo with Cherry lip pencil and it's a great match. Ruby woo is in a class of its own, so bright and attention grabbing but beautiful and classy at the same time. 5 big lippies for this one! I really want to try more Retro Matte shades now....

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 4:55:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the best reds out there. So bright, one of the brightest, and is as matte as can be, just like I like. So dry a lip brush wont pick it up for me, love it. I love Ruby Woo forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2013 6:35:00 AM More reviews by christina001

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Be not mistaken: This is a screaming read, and its roar can be heard from afar!

I asked my favourite MAC artist to apply red lipstick on me, pin-up style, she used Shroom eyeshadow, a rather pale foundation, winged out liner, some Dainty blush and Ruby Woo. I loved it, although it was very, very different from what I normally wear, and the lipstick did not move until I removed it with oil-containing makeup remover. It is drying, though, but manageable with my ultra chapped lips with good moisture before and afterwards.

I have only applied Ruby Woo in the safety of my home ever since, but since I recently got into reds also for daytime wear (started with Lady Bug and New York Apple, graduated to Russian Red, which I now love!), I reach for Ruby Woo in the evening now. It is still a loud red, but less scary than it used to be.

FYI: Russian Red is several nuances darker on me (on many swatches online, they look almost the same). That one is an attention grabbing red, too, but wearable even for someone who feared reds like me.

Ruby Woo plays in another league, though, and I must say it can be addictive to see yourself with that red!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by glamerous3059

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

MAC IS ALWAYS TO HIGH FOR ME SO I TOOK OFF 2 LIPPIES FOR PRICE:) BUTT I BROUGHT THIS FOR MY GIRL RIRI, HOWEVER I DONT WEAR REDS SO THIS WILL LAST ME FOREVER.
I DID TRY IT ON AND ITS DRYING YOU DO NEED TO MOISTURIZE YOUR LIPS BEFORE APPLYING THE LIPSTICK, IT IS HOWEVER A VERY BEAUTIFUL RED LIPSTICK.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2013 12:18:00 AM More reviews by Jacklynne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Flattering color. Makes teeth white for an NC30. But hard to apply. Nevertheless, a must-have lipstick.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by yasssssx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

.... I have a love hate relationship with this lipstick. Color wise it's amazing but it's a very harsh matte. Lip conditioner is a MUST. Chapstick or gloss takes away from the effect of the color. I'll probably never use it all so I probably won't be buying another one.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a beautiful true red. I'm NW20 with pretty decently white teeth. The color looks good against my skin, and makes my teeth look BLINDING, which is awesome!

I have to use chapstick underneath as a primer, since the formula is really, really dry. It lasts well -- no touchups from regular wear, but I generally have to reapply after eating or drinking, which honestly, is true of every lipstick I've ever had.

A lippy off for how dry it is, but I suppose it's a necessary evil to get that kind of matte finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 7:15:00 AM More reviews by MadHattress

THE perfect red lipstick. period.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2013 3:49:00 AM More reviews by Mekahre

I adore this lipstick! It has the perfect matte finish and lasts forever on the lips! Just be aware that this is a retro matte lipstick, which means it is extremely drying and the lips must be very moisturized in order to make it work.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 1:38:00 PM More reviews by BonjourMaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on the fence when it comes to this lipstick. I love the colour so much, it's very bright and lively but the texture is so drying! I guess it's made that way to be long-lasting on the lips and to prevent reapplying frequently. Everytime I apply this to my lips, it's NOT a smooth application at all. It drags on your lips and you really have to be careful since it stains, in the case you get this on the skin around your mouth. I moisturize my lips first with my Nivea lip balm then I wipe off the lip balm before putting this on. An application usually lasts me around five hours with frequent drinking and talking. I guess it's good money overlooking the texture, so long as you moisturize well beforehand!