April 20, 2014 | 1674 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2006 8:12:00 AM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I put this perfume in the same category as YSL Cinema and rate them both as way too dry for my skin chemistry.

Perfume is very much like wine for me. Anything that falls too far on either end of the sweet or dry spectrum just doesn't work for me. I like well blended, and mostly, no single notes.

This one, like Cinema, is well blended, but I could blow the dust off the top of the bottle, needless to say....non

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2006 6:28:00 PM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I know there are some who just love this, but I could not abide it. I had to wash it off straight away. On me I got notes of: deep spice, machinery oil, POLLEN, harsh and dry. Beware if you prefer your scents soft and feminine, this may not one for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2006 2:07:00 PM More reviews by starchild1166

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What a pretty scent; it almost reminds me of Shalimar. The staying power is good and it's a soft romantic scent. Love this one!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2006 1:37:00 PM More reviews by MissCharlotteVale

The fact that this perfume resembles so many others (Tresor, Toccade etc.) may be the reason that it seems so commonplace to me. It smells like any other department store scent, and gave me a crashing headache.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2006 6:22:00 PM More reviews by alice_alix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

L'Instant edp is too heavy and sharp, artificial. But I like the pure pefume which is softer and not so 'synthetic'. A big plus (for those who like it) is a great lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2006 5:52:00 AM More reviews by st3lla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i just have one word to describe l'instant...Beautiful!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2006 1:24:00 PM More reviews by alice_alix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

L'Instant pure perfume juice is much better than EDP or EDT. EDP is headache inducing for me. Pure perfume is rich vanillic/honey composition, warm, semi-oriental. Very luxurious, even glamourous. The bottle is wonderful. I recommend it if you want a glamourous, very feminine perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2006 3:08:00 AM More reviews by TresMode

I wore this today, and I realized that I haven't used it in quite a while, but I still LOVED it. This is one of the few perfumes which I bought at the spot, right after sampling it for the first time (3 or 4 years ago) , it was truly LOVE AT FIRST SNIFF!! It is just a perfect blend of all the notes I love in a perfume. I keep wanting to smell myself when I wear this, and I also love the bottle design.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2006 9:39:00 PM More reviews by jjff

To the one who used to be "transported" by the scent of L'Instant: do you find that some tales of love are retold in our mind long after those first nerve-wrecking days of longing and excitement as well as past the seemingly endless days of sadness that just would not leave after it was all over? Both happiness once felt and the later hurt have slipped away. You can no longer relive either--it's all finally in the past, and you are looking back at your memories with a tinge of detached melancholy, as if they were not your own.

To think back to the very first glow of enveloping tenderness or even earlier, to the moments when a person who had been just another acquiaintance, your interactions perfunctory and your heart at rest, began to captivate you. Then somehow, your friendly indifference faded away and things were never the same, taking on a magic quality as you awakened from the illusion of everyday humdrum, propelled to dream once again.

When I first discovered L'Instant, I was underwhelmed. It struck me as similar to Addict that I already owned and seemed so uninspired compared, on the one hand, to the formidable legacy of Guerlain perfumery, and, on the other, to numerous other florientals that continue to be churned out onto the market one after another.

As time went by, L'Instant grew on me until one day, I finally got it: I woke up and found myself freshly and poignantly in love. In an odd parallel with my life at around the same time period, there was this sweltering summer afternoon when I drove my old Chevy to a carwash, windows rolled down to compensate for defunct AC. Blasting French songs from a mixed tape I had had since high school, I felt so silly and so alive, relishing a premonition of happy days to come.

The uncertain and nerve-wrecking times with moments of almost unbearable joy here and there that followed, now seem, through the prism of days and months already turning into a plural of years, like memories that could not be mine any more than the proverbial "one that got away". L'Instant, a fragrance as life-affirming as it is troubling, remains an ostensible reality that links a longing left behind in time with the present moment when I wonder if you ever still think of me."Live your life/From dream to dream/And dread the day/When dreaming ends".

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2006 10:00:00 AM More reviews by magnificent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Regarding the great review by "ayala": L'Instant and TOCADE were both created by Maurice Roucel. Maybe this is the reason why ayala smells some similarity in both fragrances! Maurice Roucel created also the brand-new Guerlain: Insolent.