October 21, 2014 | 2036 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 12:10:00 AM More reviews by normaestrada19

I just had a duh moment when I realized I have yet to review this wonderful brush. I love this brush because it fits PERFECTLY in my crease. I think most ladies give up on this brush because it is not suited for their eye shape. I have always heard the 217 brush is best for smaller creases and the 224 is best for bigger creases. Well guess who owns a pair of big creased eyes? Me! I have what I would consider elongated, almond shaped eyes. In my opinion my eyes can sometimes come across as looking 'half-closed', so therefore I have a decent amount of lid space to work with and this brush is just wonderful and perfect to blend eyeshadow in that area. For those ladies that feel this is too big for their lid space, I will again suggest the 217 brush. Apparently the 224 has other uses as well, none of which I have used the brush for, like using it for concealer. So if you ladies cannot return this brush or swap it, I say try it as a concealer brush. Lastly, I want to add that this brush has lasted me over 5 years now and it still looks brand spanking new :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Texasbrian14

I own about 8 of this brush! Love LOVE Love how this brush can work in so many ways! Use the flat side for lid and highlight ... use the tip for the crease! Use this brush for your concealer for a flawless natural finish! Use this brush to nude out the lips before lipstick application. Very Universal :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 8:47:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE: it gets scratchy with time. Now I can't use it on my eyes for that. It's actually even too rough for the rest of my face... I like synthetic brushes more: they're more hygienic (natural hair traps dirt int he scales of he hair), just as good at blending, softer, cheaper and many of them never become scratchy - no matter what ou wash them with (although I used baby soap for this one).
I really like this brush. I use it for concealer and eye shadow. For concealer under the eyes, because the MAC lady at our local store said it was much better if you wanted a thin layer that didn't make your fine lines show up even more - I agree.
When using this for concealer, you really don't much product (although, if you're using MAC's concealer, you will get out an amount enough for 5 set of eyes). Just swirl in a little bit of concealer and swirl it onto the eye-area, and you will get a smooth, well-blended and natural result.
I also love to use this for eye-shadows! Really good blending brush, so you can achieve a great look in short time :) I usually don't pack on a lot of eye-shadow though, because the ones I have are really pigmented, so if you need to pack on, I would use some other brush.
Also, I've noticed this brush is economical, because no matter what I use - concealer or eye-shadow - the product doesn't sink far into the brush, but stay on the tip :)
Would definitely repurchase :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2010 1:05:00 PM More reviews by Nicola82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Perfect perfect brush. If you only buy one MAC brush make it this one. It's excellent for all your blending needs. If you have to do make-up fast, I find that this is great for applying a quick easy shadow too - start the application on the outer socket and swoosh over the lid from there et voila!

My brush hasn't shed and has retained it's shape after countless washes. I've had it for about 6 years and it's honestly as good as new. I honestly pick this up every time I apply eyeshadow.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2010 2:01:00 PM More reviews by MsEmilyPark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

$29 for one brush (17 cm).
My favorite blending brush from Mac. It is very soft (so if you used eye products that require work blending work, I'd suggest the Mac 217 instead). I use to when I do neutral eye looks and want a soft, natural look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by mellypmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great brush for blending shadows in the crease area (smoke effect) and a light dusting of color on the entire lid. I also like this brush for blending creams (concealer/foundation/cream shadows) I would def repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2010 8:27:00 AM More reviews by Mandibulo

Pretty satisfied with this brush. Nothing dazzling about it, it doesn't pull out some fancy coffee-brewing device, but it gets the job done well. What job is that, one might ask. What I mainly use it for is applying concealer on my under-eye area or wherever else is needed. As it's not a dense blending brush, it helps distribute the color more lightly and evenly, and diffuse it to almost nothing when fading it out. Also works good for covering any small blemish constellations, which I never thought it would. I always used to cover them up with my 195 concealer brush which is sturdy and precise (I'll still use it for big time break-outs), but for minor skin activity this one is lovely. On occasion I'll also use it for what it's meant to do, which is blending, but I'll only grab this one if my 217 is otherwise engaged (aka dirty or sth), or if I just need a bit more sharpness in my blending while maintaining a soft look. The only downside to it is it sheds quite a bit which is very annoying. Would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2010 8:28:00 AM More reviews by allaccessalex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this was one of the first MAC brushes i have owned, i thought it was good but i wouldn't buy it again.. it is NOT good for heavy blending or doing anything that creates a big difference.. but it does "carry color well to make eyes even and i use it occasionally when i do a natural look (which is almost never lol) do put just a light amnount of highlighter on.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2010 3:31:00 AM More reviews by MeiTai3333

I'm loving this brush lately! It's essential for getting the perfect gradient for a smokey eye! At first this brush lay rather neglected in my collection, but I've been using it a lot lately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2010 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

This brush is amazing for blending out undereye concealer, and concealer in general anywhere you need coverage. I initially purchased this brush for blending out my eyeshadow, however I really don't like the 224 for that purpose- I find that it almost removes my eyeshadow when I blend them out with this brush, so I found another brush for that purpose. For the longest time, this was just sitting my my brush roll, and I suddenly relaized that this can be used for concealer blending. I tried this for applying my undereye concealer, and was amazed at how quick this blended everything! I usually used my finger, but I didn't like how it I tugged my skin somtimes so I wanted a softer alternative & the 224 does the trick :)

*UPDATE*

I finally figured how to create a really subtle smoky eye with brush. I simply add an eyeshadow to my lid, and when I apply my crease color with this brush I use soft 'windshield' wiping motions to create a very quick, smoky look, focusing on the Outer V- creating the perfect smoked out look. I'm glad I took a chance and tried this out again for eyeshadow. Before I used this to belnd out my exisiting eyeshadow I had applied with my other crease brush, and when I used this to 'blend' it just removed the eyeshadow I had already applied. This is a truly amazing brush.