November 24, 2014 | 895 users online

Scrubs - Aveeno - Skin Brightening Daily Scrub

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 3:02:00 AM More reviews by PaperAlias

St. Ives' apricot scrubs have been my HG for years. But after getting on some more intensive prescription acne medications, I've decided that I need to find a much gentler scrub for my routine. The crushed peach pit shells in my St. Ives scrub was getting a little too harsh for me. I've read from a couple of people that they may be so abrasive that they could actually tear skin tissue. Yikes!

I picked one of these up a couple of years ago. I used it for no more than a couple of weeks before going back to St. Ives. I didn't get the same "satisfaction" scrubbing I got with the harsher St. Ives scrub. I guess in my mind, I thought a rougher scrub would mean cleaner, better skin. But that wasn't the case.

I recently went back to the Aveeno scrub because I remembered how gentle it was, and a gentle scrub is what I really needed.

The micro-beads in this are VERY fine, compared to St. Ives, but if I work it into my skin gently for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, I notice that my face does feel softer and more polished, without the redness that the St. Ives sometimes left behind.

I got this for just under $8 at a grocery store. Not too expensive at all.

I didn't notice any particular smell, but then again, I'm not sensitive to fragrance. It just smelled... clean.

I like the packaging. Similar to the St. Ives tubes that sit on their caps so you always get product out immediately when you open it.

This does not have any acne medication in it. Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Sodium Laurethsulfate, Polyethylene, Lauryl Glucoside, Peg-16 Soy Sterol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Carbomer, Phenoxythanol, Glycol Distearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Methylparaben, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Laureth-4, Sodium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium Edta.

So if you're looking for a scrubbing cleanser to heal acne, this isn't going to be it. However, this scrub didn't cause breakouts to pop up either.

I do have some very light hyperpigmentation from old acne. This scrub claims to even skin tone and texture. I don't think I've used it long enough to say whether or not I think it really does, but I will keep you updated within the next several weeks.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this scrub and would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by rtrav11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

well when i first bought this product, i had not so much acne, but a decent amount of pimples. i started using it, and i really didn't like it. my skin didn't clear up in the slightest, and since im used to a more aggressive facewash i wasn't happy with the results so i dropped it. but recently, my skin has cleared up a reasonable amount and i decided i shouldn't be using as harsh as a cleanser, so i went back to this. when i used it i immediately felt the beads exfoliating, and i when i washed it off i definitely noticed the dullness in my skin gone. im not saying it was brightening at all, but it got rid of my dead layer of skin, and didn't dry it out while doing.

pros
good packaging, not an overwhelming smell, exfoliates well, gets rid of dullness in skin
cons
doesn't get rid of blemishes, doesn't brighten.
i would mainly suggest this product for people who don't have acne, and as an exfoliator for people who have normal skin, with maybe a few blemishes.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by AdnarEar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The good:
- Leavesmy skin super soft
- Has evened out my skin tone
- Helps with sebum control for my oily skin
- Smells great
- Scrubbing beads are not too rough

The bad:
- Does not live up to the brightening claims

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2010 4:51:00 PM More reviews by Xee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use half tube of this product, and it does NOTHING to my skin.
It does NOT brighten and it does not exfoliate. When I touch my skin after each wash, I can still feel my blackhead bumps. Beads are very tiny, feels more like a cleanser than a scrub. too gentle!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by maryelizabethcole

I generally like Aveeno products because they're gentle, but I felt like this one had absolutely zero effect on my skin.

Con:
-There is definitely no 'brightening'
-No improvement in small blemishes
-Only slight improvements in skin texture

Pro:
-The packaging is really nice
-Very natural smelling
-Good for sensitive skin
-Price is reasonable

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

VERY pleased with this product! Wasn't looking for an exfoliator but saw this at Target and thought I'd try it. It's very gentle, easy to use every day and leaves my skin feeling smooth. I like to use it at night when I'm showering after my exercise routine. Gentle scent also which is very pleasant. Definitely will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2010 11:51:00 AM More reviews by laurxrawr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like but don't love this scrub. It is definitely gentle. But not gentle enough for everyday use as the instructions say. My skin isn't super sensitive and I felt irritated after using this once a day for five days. I do think it would be good for sensitive skin for once or twice/week use. I like thatt there are microbeads as opposed to crushed shells in this scrub. My face feels really smooth after and moisturizers absorb nicely. I has never caused a weird reaction or breakout in my skin.There is no funky smell to this. It does not brighten my skin but I wasn't really expecting that. I can't really see myself buying this again just because I think there are other scrubs better suited for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2010 10:20:00 PM More reviews by missmanda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is a VERY gentle scrub, the beads are tiny and the scent isn't harsh at all. it's good for ppl with sensitive skin.... which isn't me i guess cuz this scrub sort of left me wanting MORE "scrubbiness"; i felt unsatisfied with the amount of exfoliation. i gave this a pretty high rating though, because it really is ideal for sensitive skin and you can use it everyday without getting irritated.... just not for me though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 12:16:00 AM More reviews by celevia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I like this facial scrub it works great!! it has those fine,sand like beads to exfoliate your skin,,which does not feel abrasive at all..it's got a very nice smell to it that just makes me wanna keep exfoliating forever lol,,after washing it off you are left with baby soft and smooth skin...the reason i took off one lippy is because it doesn't deliver on the "skin brightening" part,,if aveeno hadn't put that claim up there i would totally rate it 5/5,,companies; stop misleading the consumers!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 3:14:00 PM More reviews by PrettyInPlaidChic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really did my DS research on this beforehand, besides seeing that this was named as being Instyle's 2010 Best Beauty Buy for sensitive skin scrubs. The majority of other scrubs-Clean and Clear Morning Burst, Garnier or Neutrogena ones had bigger micro-beads. I'd also tried St Ives, which was so harsh as to be ridiculous. For a similar price-point, this one seemed like a reasonable choice (especially since I think that the Aveeno line in general is seriously over-priced-and manufactured by Johnson&Johnson-who are known to test on animals). Anyway, this is a pleasant little scrub. There are two issues that stand out for me about this: 1. fragrance 2. rinsability. While this applies nicely and essentially does what it should, it takes a lot of rinsing to remove all traces. Fortunately, I typically follow this with my Givenchy Tone It Tender, since I live in a city with really harsh, hard tap-water. As to the fragrance-it's pleasant enough, but does linger a bit and seems a little superfluous to the scrub's performance. I use this nightly, and that's more than frequent enough for me. It doesn't irritate me or break me out. Relatively gentle as far as facial scrubs go. Or, I'll alternate my using this scrub with a regular normal/combination skin cleanser. For around US$8 it's reasonably priced, since the tube usually lasts me for 3-6 months (used sparingly). Will not repurchase simply because I prefer variety in my skin care regime, and am often looking to try new products.