OPI Top Coat

2.7

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Acrylates Copolymer, SD Alcohol 40B, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Dimethicone, CI 60725

on 8/25/2011 1:50:00 AM

Never completely dries which is really frustrating. I'll see marks and dents in the polish within hours of applying it. Wouldn't say it's as thick and gunky as other reviewers are making it out to be, but it definitely does not go on smoothly and consistently. Not that shiny, which is something I need in a top coat, and almost always leaves small bubbles. The only good thing I can say about it is that it doesn't peel or chip too quickly and will make your manicure last longer.

If you're good at doing nails and applying polish like me, you can somehow get around its problems and make it work, but no matter how skilled you are you can't change the fact that it never completely dries! For that reason alone you'll never get a great finish with this top coat and I would not recommend it.

on 8/15/2011 10:37:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

In a word: arrrgh!! The consistency is too thick and gluey, and it starts to dry and gum up as you're trying to put it on. Of course, ironically, after you've finished, then it WON'T dry. Unless you're a fan of the sheet mark look, I don't recommend it. I'm a big fan of OPI, so this was a major let-down, especially considering the price.

on 8/10/2011 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I don't know why this top coat is not getting very good reviews. I absolutely love it. It gives my nail nice seal and dries extremely fast. Will definitely buy again,

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Such a source of frustration for me. I thought OPI would have an out-of-this-world quality top coat but it is like trying to paint on old honey. The consistency is really thick which slows down the drying process and it almost ALWAYS leaves bubbles which annoys me to no end. I've tried so many different techniques to avoid the bubbles but it can't be avoided. The finish isn't as shiny as most top coats should be either. Not worth the money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my favorite top coat. It goes on smooth and dries well. It's not an instant dry like i'm use too but this protects so much better than anything I've tried.
Most of the time, I only have to dip the brush in once to apply a nice layer to one hand.
I'm pretty active and this doesn't let my nails show it. Not a chip or smudge at all and it's been about three days.
It adds a beautiful shine without being too thick.

I did notice that it took some of my polish off while applying. A very small amount but I wasn't a fan of that. Not sure if my nails weren't dry enough but this has been a consistent problem with any top coat I've tried. i'll let my nails dry for longer and hopefully this should not happen again.
I kept dabbing the brush on a tissue until the color had gone so it doesn't "stain" the rest of the jar.

I'm going to keep repurchasing, even if it insists on taking some polish with it.

on 7/27/2011 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really dont want to say this is the worst top coat I've had but i think it is,there's so many things wrong this top coat. First its way too goopy and thick. When i put it on there was hair in my top coat i thought it was just the cotton from my cotton ball but it wasnt it was from this goopy top coat.Second,because its so goopy it takes so long to dry.I really wanted to try this top coat because it was from opi but this was a total waste and a waste of 8 dollars. Im just going to stick with my "In a Snap" Top Coat from Orly

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I bought this topcoat as an alternative to seche vite because seche vite is hard to find where I live. I tried this and waited about 30 minutes and touched my nails to find that it hadn't dried at all. I waited another 20 minutes and checked my nails to find that it had bubbled and left my nails a mess.

on 7/23/2011 10:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Got this for free when I bought two regular OPI polishes at Ulta. After reading the mostly negative reviews, I decided just to turn this into a silver glitter polish by funneling silver glitter into it. Applied well just like a regular glitter polish, lasted a good amount of time with my Seche Vite top coat, and I didn't have the bubbling some people complain about on here (probably not noticeable because of the glitter). If you aren't a fan of this topcoat but still have some left, I recommend doing what I did and getting some fine glitter from a craft store to make your own glitter nail polish.

on 6/22/2011 8:26:00 PM

I was rushing at the mall one day and had no time to go to Sally's to pick up my regular Seche Vite top coat, which I had run out of the day before. I asked the lady at Trade Secrets if the OPI topcoat is good or if i should opt for another brand but she assured me this one was top of the line. Including taxes it came to about 11$ (CAD), which is about the same as my Seche Vite.

Anyways, the only positive thing about it is that it does make my nail polish last as long as any top coat but......
I CANNOT stop this from bubbling!
I dont shake the bottle
I wait until my polish dries
& I dont have moisturizers or other products on my nails prior to painting.
It also takes forever and a day to dry and does not dry to a nice hard finish (i.e. you can dent your nail polish)
It makes it more annoying that this was final sale.
Ugh, would not recommend at all.

on 6/19/2011 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

It is very nice top coat that I have been using for about 3-4 years, however the result is not that very shiny. I am looking into other options.

Top Rated OPI Products