October 30, 2014 | 1568 users online

Loose Powders - Jurlique - Silk Dust

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2006 4:29:00 PM More reviews by tabard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product to sop up oil in my T-zone last year during the holiday season because of the great reviews on MUA. I had avoided purchasing it when I visited Australia because I was afraid it would look white on my skin. It doesn't. It disappears completely. Unfortunately, I discovered that this was the reason why my face was breaking out in blackheads. Apparently corn starch can be a breeding ground for bacteria. I thought the addition of witch hazel in the formulation would erase any concerns I would have about the product. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I've only now gotten rid of the last blackhead this product created.

Update 3/17/07: I'm not sure if it's because I'm using a completely different regimen or something else was irritating my skin when I first tried this powder, but I went back to using this again a few weeks ago and it's not causing me any problems. It's great at sopping up oil around my nose. If I use this - I've been applying it by hand and brushing off the excess - it keeps my face shine free for most of the day. If I only brush on the powder, I get a bit more oily. I use the Lavender one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2006 12:20:00 PM More reviews by ruby_tea_roses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent! Absolute BEST oil-absorbing powder I have ever used. And I have tried them ALL! I apply this powder as a finishing veil over my make-up when I am finished applying everything else. It is translucent and it absorbs oil almost the entire day for me, which is an amazing accomplishment because I have VERY oily skin in my T-Zone (can you say "oil slick"?! LOL!). But Jurlique Silk Dust keeps the oilies away very effectively. I have the Rose scent and I think it smells heavenly! Will definitely repurchase. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2006 11:21:00 AM More reviews by marlavm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

LOVE this powder!
I have mega-oily skin and it's very very challenging to find products that do not make me more oily by late morning. Instead of foundation, I mix my Shiseido Extra Smooth SS with Shiseido foundation. I top it with the Silk Dust and it's GREAT! No breakouts - minimum shininess!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2006 10:29:00 AM More reviews by redgum8888

A relatively affordable mattifying powder that has NEVER failed. I have the oiliest t-zone and NOTHING besides this, not even MAC blot powder, can stop it from shine. This lasts the whole day and just melts into the skin leaving it matte and even-toned. However, can sometimes accentuate dry skin so always moisturise beforehand.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2006 6:52:00 AM More reviews by rebdab

I have been using this product for about 10 years, which goes to show how much I love it as I tend to have no brand loyalty. This is the only powder which really stops shine on my skin for most of the day, and I love the scent (I get it in Rose. Once a few years ago when it was the old packaging, they must have got mixed up as it most definitely smelled of lavender despite the rose label). It does go on a bit "coarse" but I find that it softens after 30 min to give a natural look. This is about my only beauty staple apart from sunscreen and Paula's Choice mocha lipliner, and I hope it is NEVER discontined (if it is I will be first in line buying 1000 containers... not that I'd need that many as 1 container does last a while).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2006 9:16:00 PM More reviews by babyslk7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First time impression: the smell was so strong, I got it in lavender.. I can smell the scent even after 1 hr putting it on. But nice smell, just overpowering, but then I get used to it until now (more than 2 wks). The only thing that I DON'T LIKE is the texture of the powder, yes it is more rough than ordinary loose powder. I wear Bare Escentual foundation and kabuki brush, so I use the brush to apply this powder as well just like the Bare mineral veil. Since this powder doesn't come with any puff or brush. I can feel the brush itself changing the texture because of Jurlique rough texture, it's not finely mild powder. When I used mineral veil, the kabuki brush texture stays the same, cos it's very silky powder. But with Jurlique powder..... I CAN totally feel it on my skin. The result is pretty good, it's not white masky type. But, I still prefer colored loosed powder, I'm not into translucent. I like a little healthy color on my face. I like mineral veil better altho they're both translucent or SHU Uemura or Becca loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2006 1:26:00 AM More reviews by perfectly_pink

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff .i use a powder everyday because my face is so oily ,but because my skin is so bad i wanted to chamge to a powder that is a bit better for my face.The jurlique powders have all natural organic ingridients which has to be better than normal cosmetic powders.it is translucent once on the face and literally feels so silky on your face.i bought the rose first and because i loved it so much a bought the lavender one for my bag ,i prefer the rose smell myself.FAB product will certainly repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2006 1:36:00 AM More reviews by melloly

this is good. very good indeed. i have the rose because i prefer this scent to the lavender one. after foundation and loose powder i apply this with A VERY LIGHT HAND...i find that too much makes me look chalky and white. Considering how much you need to use for each application - AU$22 is great value. it doesnt control oil completely but i find that if i dont apply this, i get shiney faster so this must be doing something! even though i am applying this OVER an already powdered face - it does not look cakey. yep - i really like this. oily skinned girls should really check this out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2005 2:14:00 AM More reviews by SaraLee2

I seem to have this irrational need to wear powder (or I'm just a product junkie), but it doesn't seem that any powder agrees with my skin type (mostly oily, large pores). I feel like I've tried them all and this one was my last ditch effort. I got this in Rose, only because lavender was out of stock everywhere. After reading all the posts, I used this very lightly over my usual MU application to set. I found the texture to be rougher than most and didn't feel nearly as finely milled as the other loose powders I've tried. The whiteness of this was scary (I'm MMM), but it did go on very sheer with no white residue at all. But after about an hour, the usual happened...sank into my pores accentuating every one of them along with all my flaws and making my skin look very blotchy and uneven. Sigh. I did like it better than TL's loose powder, but thats really not saying much. So I'm giving up my "must have powder to set" obsession. I'm offically over it. Right :P

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2005 12:24:00 AM More reviews by st88

I'm on my second tub of the Lavender Silk Dust and I used the first one for up to 9 months with daily usage! It lasted that long so this is great value for money. I've acne-prone skin and apply this over mineral makeup as a mattifier. The powder is fine. It's white in colour but does not leave a cast on my face unless I over-dust it, in which I will then look kind of dull. [edit 16 July 2008: No longer using this powder as I have switched to other alternatives.)