DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

on 7/8/2008 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got quite a few free samples of this product, so I never actually bought it. I have very oily skin but a few years ago, my skin was extremely dry from different acne medications. For dry to extremely dry skin, this stuff is amazing. It's a great primer, made my foundation go on smooth and evenly. I loved it. My skin was so soft and glowy. My skin really did feel like velvet. Theoretically, I'd repurchase if my skin became super dry again but for my oily skin, I'd never wear this.

on 7/7/2008 2:21:00 PM

So far in my search for THE perfect primer this has been my favorite. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love on MUA. It goes nicely. It is not greasy. It feels really very good. It stays put in the summer. AND - my make-up looks great over it: Summer or Winter. I think the price is fair...but it is a small tube. IT even makes your skin look great if you don't wear make-up over it. My combo skin does not experience break-outs from this product. It would be a 5 Lippie if only it had SPF!

on 6/23/2008 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As primers go, this is a pretty good one. Gives your skin a nice silky looking finish. I don't think it necessarily keeps your makeup lasting longer and it works best when you first open the tube. Once it gets a little old, it tends to clump together and not work as well. I'm looking for my HG primer, but in the meantime I would purchase this one again.

on 6/10/2008 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Ok, the first time I tried this was way back in the past and what I remembered I wasn't liking this product, not really. But this year, I tried the samples few times and I really like it. It controls the oil on my face, no powder touch up necessary, just use blotting paper is fine and makeup last longer. One sample can use up to 3 or 4 times, so don't pile too much one time. I've used Sephora primer before and it's the same benefit. Pretty good product.

on 5/29/2008 11:47:00 PM

I love this stuff! Best primer I have ever used! Bar none! Very smooth, creamy texture...Like velvet! Imagine that! IMO, this works loads better than Smashbox. I just wish the tube were bigger. I can't get enough of this stuff!

on 5/21/2008 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I got this as a sample when I ordered the catalog and all I can say is thank goodness for samples. I was not impressed with this primer at all. It did nothing to help minimize the appearance of pores nor control the oil. I think it might have made my oil situation worse. As far as primers go read my review on the new Revlon Natural primer – it’s pretty good.

This stuff makes my skin feel so smooth, but, it doesn't keep my oilies away for THAT long. It's not horrible, but not great either.
It makes your foundation apply nicely/evenly, fills in pores/lines, but I can't say much for the staying power. Then again, I have horribly oily skin.
For some reason though, when I wear this, it feels like my face got oilier faster...to my mom it goes. (she has dry skin)

on 5/6/2008 5:46:00 PM

I have tried so many primers and I find I like this the best. Most primers promise to lessen the look of your pores, but this one keeps their promise. Skin feels like silk, pores minimized and my powder doesn't settle into the fine lines.

on 4/29/2008 9:28:00 PM

I'm quite a primer junkie and unfortunately this was one of the worst I've tried. Many don't work well to prolong the life of makeup, but this one doesn't even act as a nice moistuizer. I found the texture clumpy and difficult to work with. My mu wore off even quicker then when I wear nothing. I won't be able to give this another try.

For reference, my HG is smashbox photo finish and I also like BE primetime, and benefit that gal. I've passed on lorac, LM, TM, becca, ...the list goes on.

on 4/23/2008 3:41:00 PM

This is absolutely the best primer I've tried. I have very sensitive skin and it does not break me out at all. I love the velvety texture. I've tried Smashbox, Laura Geller and Philosophy primers and this beats them all, hands down!