Cetaphil Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

4.2

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, May also contain Sodium Palm Kernelate.

on 9/30/2010 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

First comment ever on this board!! I always look up products on this site, so decided I should help the cause. I needed a product that takes off makeup, that is gentle around the eyes, and that does not leave my semi-combo skin dry. (I use a separate eye makeup remover). This fit the bill perfectly so far. It has been 2 days and my face is glowing. love!

on 9/29/2010 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Great stuff. I have combination skin, prone to break-outs around my period, but dryness in the winter time. I need something anti-bacterial to control acne, but that is gentle enough that it doesn't dry out my skin. Sometimes I have a tendency to go crazy with too many products, but it's really best for me to keep my skin care routine simple. The fewer products I use, the fewer chances for irritations and break-outs.

This stuff fits the bill perfectly. It is effective at removing oil, makeup, and dirt, but doesn't totally strip my skin. At around $3 per bar, it works better than a lot of other, much more expensive, cleansers that I have used. Give it a try, and if doesn't work, you're only out $3!

on 9/21/2010 11:58:00 PM

My HG soap!! I have eczema and psoriasis. I bought this soap based on MUA reviews and am so happy I did. I like that I can use a soap that has a slight fragrance that doesn't make my break out in a rash. It's super gentle and does not dry out my skin. My husband is also a convert. We go through a lot of soap and buying individual bars is a bit expensive ($4.49-$4.99 depending on the store). Target sells a 3 pack for $8 and some change (they just increased the price by about a dollar).

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

After using this for a while I've found that it goes into the pile of other acne washes. It breaks me out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

HG status! I'm a perfectionist, and unfortunately when I have a skin problem I try every product under the sun to combat my "issues," which I have finally realized (after damaging my skin in the process) is not the way to go. Simple is better! I used to use Proactiv, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, you name it. Ladies, this is THE BEST cleanser I have ever used, period. I've been using this for the past six months, and I never really thought a cleanser helped keep my breakouts in check until I got too lazy to buy some more when I ran out. I used the cetaphil liquid cleanser instead- big mistake. I earned myself three huge breakouts. I finally went back on this bar, and never broke out since. So, I am 100% confident in attributing this product to preventing breakouts. Plus, if you ever travel, you don't have to worry about taking this with you anywhere, since it's liquid free! My current routine: PM: apply cetaphil liquid cleanser to dry skin, rinse offf, use cetaphil bar, apply witch hazel with cotton pad, moisturize with cetaphil cream in tub (also HG).AM: cetaphil bar, witch hazel, cetaphil lotion!
UPDATE! Still HG status! I love how you can document your experiences with Makeupalley to not only help others make informed beauty choices, but yourself if you ever think about returning to a product, you can remember what happened- good or bad! Okay, so I tried going all natural and stopped using my cetaphil bar. Result: 4 huge cysts. You would think I would learn a lesson and stick to my above routine, which works! My skin is definitely thanking me for it now with clear skin again!

UPDATE: I no longer use this bar, because my skin has been too dry lately, and this makes it unbearably tight in the dry, winter climate I live in, so I switched to Paula's Choice resist cleanser.

on 6/6/2010 4:11:00 PM

Ok, so I must admit that this is my HG product. I haven't found any other "thing" that I can not live without. I knew that this was the soap for me when it actually removed my antiperspirant/deodorant. Now, I know that sounds funny, but I have tried every soap on the market and none seem to remove deodorant! Also, this removes water proof mascara, gel liner, lip stain, etc. I did try the "facial" versions of this soap for my face, but found them to not be as effective. I also tested this against other higher end/priced facial cleansers and found this to be my favorite. Also, the cost is great! I recently found a bundle pack at Target that was less than $10.00 for 3 bars. The only down side to this bar is that everyone in my house loves it, so I can only put one bar out at a time and "stash" the rest for my personal use! Oh, and unlike the liquid Cetaphil, it has a great light scent :)

I started using this soap just recently coz i had a few rashes on my arms which i didn't have before. The rashes are now clearing and my skin is not itchy anymore. I have sensitive skin but I'm stubborn and still try different products. I guess I'll have to stick to this one coz it's doing a great job!

on 5/19/2010 3:47:00 AM

I've been a fan of Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser and their Normal to Oily Cleanser for years, but kept hearing good things about their cleansing bars as well. After trying all three over prolonged periods of time, I have to say that the Cleansing Bar is by far the most effective and my favorite. The Gentle Skin Cleanser tends to leave a bit of residue that requires toner to completely get rid of, and the Normal to Oily Cleanser irritates my contact lenses when I accidentally get it in my eye. The Cleansing Bar, however, does exactly what it is supposed to do: it produces a creamy lather that takes off all of my makeup without any irritation (tightening of skin) or residue. I've been alternating this with Simple's Kind to Skin Refreshing Wash Gel, and my skin is incredibly soft and glowing. The only reason I knocked packaging quality down to 4 lippies is because it tends to get a bit melty in the soap dish, even if I keep it out of the shower, but that isn't a huge inconvenience. The price is very reasonable as well, especially if you can get the 3-pack from Target.

on 5/15/2010 10:57:00 PM

I keep coming back to this bar . . . lately I've been realizing that it does a great job of calming the redness of my skin and never ever irritates it. It's great! Also, like others have said it's not drying. Sometimes I can even go without using moisturizer afterward, especially if I've been having problems with pimples, etc. lately. For me the only drawback is that it does irritate my eyes and so I can't always get all of my eye makeup off because it stings.

Overall it's great! and cheap!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm embarrassed that I tried so many other cleansers. I was literally rubbing and exfoliating my skin to death. Proactiv, Rare Minerals, Neutrogena, Clinique -- the whole range. This is perfect, gentle. I swear by toner, so this particular cleanser leaves me not-so-irritated and therefore buffered enough that my toner's not, like, paint thinner. woo!

Edit: Went back to using, you know, "fancy" cleansers and my skin is much cleaner. Less buildup. Sorry, Cetaphil. Don't mean to knock you down a peg.