Cetaphil Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

4.2

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, May also contain Sodium Palm Kernelate.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

After using this for a while I've found that it goes into the pile of other acne washes. It breaks me out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

HG status! I'm a perfectionist, and unfortunately when I have a skin problem I try every product under the sun to combat my "issues," which I have finally realized (after damaging my skin in the process) is not the way to go. Simple is better! I used to use Proactiv, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, you name it. Ladies, this is THE BEST cleanser I have ever used, period. I've been using this for the past six months, and I never really thought a cleanser helped keep my breakouts in check until I got too lazy to buy some more when I ran out. I used the cetaphil liquid cleanser instead- big mistake. I earned myself three huge breakouts. I finally went back on this bar, and never broke out since. So, I am 100% confident in attributing this product to preventing breakouts. Plus, if you ever travel, you don't have to worry about taking this with you anywhere, since it's liquid free! My current routine: PM: apply cetaphil liquid cleanser to dry skin, rinse offf, use cetaphil bar, apply witch hazel with cotton pad, moisturize with cetaphil cream in tub (also HG).AM: cetaphil bar, witch hazel, cetaphil lotion!
UPDATE! Still HG status! I love how you can document your experiences with Makeupalley to not only help others make informed beauty choices, but yourself if you ever think about returning to a product, you can remember what happened- good or bad! Okay, so I tried going all natural and stopped using my cetaphil bar. Result: 4 huge cysts. You would think I would learn a lesson and stick to my above routine, which works! My skin is definitely thanking me for it now with clear skin again!

UPDATE: I no longer use this bar, because my skin has been too dry lately, and this makes it unbearably tight in the dry, winter climate I live in, so I switched to Paula's Choice resist cleanser.

on 6/6/2010 4:11:00 PM

Ok, so I must admit that this is my HG product. I haven't found any other "thing" that I can not live without. I knew that this was the soap for me when it actually removed my antiperspirant/deodorant. Now, I know that sounds funny, but I have tried every soap on the market and none seem to remove deodorant! Also, this removes water proof mascara, gel liner, lip stain, etc. I did try the "facial" versions of this soap for my face, but found them to not be as effective. I also tested this against other higher end/priced facial cleansers and found this to be my favorite. Also, the cost is great! I recently found a bundle pack at Target that was less than $10.00 for 3 bars. The only down side to this bar is that everyone in my house loves it, so I can only put one bar out at a time and "stash" the rest for my personal use! Oh, and unlike the liquid Cetaphil, it has a great light scent :)

I started using this soap just recently coz i had a few rashes on my arms which i didn't have before. The rashes are now clearing and my skin is not itchy anymore. I have sensitive skin but I'm stubborn and still try different products. I guess I'll have to stick to this one coz it's doing a great job!

on 5/19/2010 3:47:00 AM

I've been a fan of Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser and their Normal to Oily Cleanser for years, but kept hearing good things about their cleansing bars as well. After trying all three over prolonged periods of time, I have to say that the Cleansing Bar is by far the most effective and my favorite. The Gentle Skin Cleanser tends to leave a bit of residue that requires toner to completely get rid of, and the Normal to Oily Cleanser irritates my contact lenses when I accidentally get it in my eye. The Cleansing Bar, however, does exactly what it is supposed to do: it produces a creamy lather that takes off all of my makeup without any irritation (tightening of skin) or residue. I've been alternating this with Simple's Kind to Skin Refreshing Wash Gel, and my skin is incredibly soft and glowing. The only reason I knocked packaging quality down to 4 lippies is because it tends to get a bit melty in the soap dish, even if I keep it out of the shower, but that isn't a huge inconvenience. The price is very reasonable as well, especially if you can get the 3-pack from Target.

on 5/15/2010 10:57:00 PM

I keep coming back to this bar . . . lately I've been realizing that it does a great job of calming the redness of my skin and never ever irritates it. It's great! Also, like others have said it's not drying. Sometimes I can even go without using moisturizer afterward, especially if I've been having problems with pimples, etc. lately. For me the only drawback is that it does irritate my eyes and so I can't always get all of my eye makeup off because it stings.

Overall it's great! and cheap!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm embarrassed that I tried so many other cleansers. I was literally rubbing and exfoliating my skin to death. Proactiv, Rare Minerals, Neutrogena, Clinique -- the whole range. This is perfect, gentle. I swear by toner, so this particular cleanser leaves me not-so-irritated and therefore buffered enough that my toner's not, like, paint thinner. woo!

Edit: Went back to using, you know, "fancy" cleansers and my skin is much cleaner. Less buildup. Sorry, Cetaphil. Don't mean to knock you down a peg.

on 5/7/2010 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I really like this cleansing bar. I had been using the Cetaphil liquid cleanser for awhile on the advice of my dermatologist, but always had a hard time removing all my make-up. I realize now that the liquid cleanser wasn't meant for make-up removal. The bar, on the other hand, foams really well and removes every last trace of make-up and it leaves my skin soft and smooth and not dry at all. The only thing I'm not wild about is the scent - would be so much better if it were fragrance free.

And I've been using what I have left of the liquid to remove my eye make-up. Just a few drops on a cotton ball and it's gone! Plus, it's really gentle, doesn't irritate at all and doesn't leave an annoying film on my eyeballs!

on 5/7/2010 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I use the one for dry skin. I find that it does not make my skin feel dry or anything, but it does sting my eyes if I get too close to them while cleansing. It has an odd scent, which I dislike, and I'd think they'd leave that out of a soap designed for sensitive skin, but I don't find it to be overly bothersome. It makes my face feel clean without drying, and I have not experienced any breakouts using this product. I find that it works very well for my skin.

on 4/21/2010 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this soap in my quest to find the perfect facial cleanser for my oily, super-sensitive rosacea skin. This bar of soap impressed me because it is not the least bit drying, but it does truly clean your skin. It also reduced the redness of my rosacea. I thought I had found my Holy Grail soap! But, about two weeks after I started using this soap, I was finding tiny whiteheads on various spots on my face. (I'm not sure if it is due to the fragrance or if the soap is a bit too moisturizing for my face.)

I rated this soap with 4 lippies because I think it would be a great facial cleanser for most people, but I can't use it as my regular facial cleanser. I DO use it in my shower to clean the rest of me, and my other (non-facial) skin is no longer dry. The soap has a nice scent, too.