April 25, 2014 | 951 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Matte Anti-Shine

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2008 8:14:00 PM More reviews by missy0202

Full of parabens which are bad for your skin. Very expensive for a very small bottle. Doesn't control oil, but instead creates whiteheads. Not the product for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2008 5:16:00 AM More reviews by MilesDevin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've never been a fan of Smashbox, probably due to the fact that their products seem overpriced and lackluster. And this is the most worthless of them all in my opinion. I have very oily skin, and have used almost every mattifier you could imagine on my skin, and this one is probably the worst. It actually makes me look shinier. Why I paid twice as much as my HG Clinique Pore Minimizer T Zone Shine Control for this, I still do not know.

Bottom line- This product does not work for me. Icky.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 9:03:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this based o the reviews here. It most certainly does what it claims regarding shine. Really impressive shine control. In fact, for shine control, it works better than Absence by Jane Iredale (which I love). But as a primer, it leaves a bit to be desired. Absence also works as a primer, and is a good one. Keeps makeup on and looking fresh. Smashbox does not act as a primer, so it does not enhance makeup's lasting power. So, a mixed bag. GREAT as a shine controller, but I would have preferred a product that did double duty as a primer, too. I used the "light" color, which is a medium color in the tube. It's very forgiving, so I did not have some of the white/chalky experiences like the ladies using the colorless did. Though it's advised not to use too much of this, or your skin will look parched. Not sure I will repurchase, or stick with Absence. However, I would most certainly recommend to anyone needing a good, effective anti-shine product. And even at the 27.00 price tag, a little goes a long way, so it's not expensive in the long run.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Like many others here I have a Love-Hate relation to this product. When I got it I had so high hopes for it, Paula Begoun was recommeding it in her book.
The first thing I noticed was how thick this is, it feels like my clay mask when putting it on. I put it mostly on my T-zone and around the nose, that is the parts of my face that is most oily. It goes on dry-dry, absolute ultra matte. The version that I'm using is the one with a hint of color. And it gives a sheer color to the face, but not enought color to cover redness. Some days it makes my forehead feel a bit dry but not making it flake.
I have tried it under 3 different foundations. Laura Mercier mineral foundation spf15, Shiseido matifying compact oilfree foundation and Everyday minerals ( the mix of intense and matte).
I can say this about it. It did make all the foundations more matte. I normally start shine at lunch, and so I also do with this. The big differense before this my face had a little shine after 2 h and then 2h later I was a shiny mess. This helps me to stay matte to lunch (4h) and then the shine comes like at once.
I did not see any differense with the shiseido foundation. It did work good under both mineral foundations, with the differense that with Everyday minerals I did not have to powder over my nose, a paper to blot the t-zone was enought. Blotting my face and putting powder on my face helps for 2-3h again.
I have also tried putting it over my foundation instead for a powder and that works to, and you can use it as and primer.
Contains: Water, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, CI 77499.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by rubyred719

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, I bought this product a year ago. At the time, I didn't really know how to apply it. I applied a decent amount (a quarter size) all over my face and left to go shopping. So imagine not knowing that you had a white film on your face and not knowing it until you passed by a mirror at the mall? Pretty devastating..no wonder people were staring.. Anyways, I was so devasted that I wanted to throw it away but thought against it because of how much I paid for it. So I threw it all the way in my back drawer and forgot about it. Six months later I discovered it again and thought to myself, 'maybe I should give it another try'. I've now been using this for six months and I have perfected the way I apply it. I squeeze a small amount on my hand and use my index finger to swirl it around a bit and then I apply it to the oily parts of my face. A very thin layer is all I really need and it keeps my face matte for most of the day. This stuff is unscented so I don't have to worry about the perfume breaking my face out. Actually, I haven't broken out yet from it. So to summarize this review this stuff works and is easy on the skin, although the price is pretty steep, I will purchase this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2008 9:21:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. I love how matte it makes my skin, but I hate how finnicky it is to apply. If I used too much it rolled off like an eraser or left white marks on my face and if I didn't use enough my skin was shiny in patches. I contacted Smashbox to ask them what is the best way to apply and this is the response I got:
You are applying the anti-shine correctly. If it rubs off like eraser bits, it probably means you are using too much of the product.. try using a smaller amount. Also, make sure your face is squeaky clean before you apply it. If you still have trouble with it, we do have a new product that works just as well as the ANTI-SHINE, but has a smoother consistency.. it is called PHOTO FINISH FOUNDTION PRIMER LIGHT.

So, I dot the product on where I am oiliest: forehead, nose, chin and eyelids. Then I pat gently. I apply my foundation and I'm good to go. I'm not completely shine-free, I still have to blot. But I'm not as shiny as I used to be and I don't have to blot as often. And now that I use such a tiny amount, I think this tube will last a very long time. I like this much better than Bliss, Peter Thomas Roth, Lancome, MAC and the pluthera of other stuff I've tried in a vain attempt to stay matte. For the record, I have very oily, acne-prone skin and this has not aggravated my acne at all.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by XP0S3D

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW! This product kept my shine at bay and I'm hooked. I'm in love with this product! I bought this anti-shine from Sephora for $27, the price was a little steep, but it's worth the price! I ordered the neutral shade and it came white in the tube. The tube is sanitary and you can control how much of the product comes out.

I apply this on my face prior to putting on my make-up (which as of late is Everyday Minerals and Make Up Forever). You only need A LITTLE of this product. For the most part, I have an oily skin with parts not as oily as rest of my face. I apply a thin layer of this product on my nose, t-zone, forehead, a little bit on my chin and cheeks (to keep the true color of my blush and bronzer). I made the mistake on putting some on my eye area and it made my make-up on that area, dry looking. Bad idea! However, I learned from that and only apply it to areas that do tend to shine more than some. I can understand where the white cast from other reviews is coming from. Don't over apply the product or you'll indeed get this white cast.

Of course, I had to blot and touch up my face at the end of the day, but this anti-shine held my make-up in place which I was happy about. When I used Everyday Minerals, I tend to shine more, but that's because of the ingredient in the foundation. I had less shine when I used Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat powder foundation.

In comparison to Smashbox's Bronze Photo Finish primer (which may I add made my skin feel smooth), I prefer this anti-shine better. It supported my needs more. Overall, I'm happy with this anti-shine and would re-purchase!

For reference, I'm NC/C35 in MAC Studio Fix, Shade 207 in Make Up Forever's Duo Mat powder foundation and Olive Medium in Everyday Minerals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2008 12:25:00 PM More reviews by angelakay016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this in the tinted version. This doesn't eliminate shine all day, but it definitely reduces it. A little goes a long way and you have to work quickly to avoid it rolling up into little balls (which will also happen in you over-rub it). This is much better than both the Clinque and Neutrogena version. Unless I find something to keep shine away better, I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 7:58:00 PM More reviews by EmmaJohnson

OMG. Finally! This product is a godsend, TOTALLY my HG. For some reason, I tend to get really oily around my nose, on my chin, and on my forehead. It's been really noticeable lately, and I just didn't have time to use oil-blotting sheets between classes! I stumbled upon this product at Sephora's website and I went and picked it up at the nearest store. I tried it on when I got home (I washed my face first so I could see how it held up under my makeup) and you need only a minimal amount. Seriously, don't use too much or it will look cakey. Use VERY little product. And don't be scared when you see the small size of the tube; if you only use a little, it will last you for a long time. Anyway, I applied it to the oily areas, and put on my makeup as usual. When I got home (7 and a half hours later) my skin was perfectly matte!!!! I was soooo excited! Usually I'm an oil-slick 2 hours into my day, but this completely stopped the oil dead in its tracks.

I'm so relieved that I've found this product. I have so much more self-confidence now.
If you have an oil problem, pleeeease go out and buy this. it will save your face!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2008 12:05:00 PM More reviews by Platnumluv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ALL that can be said is, Thank Heavens for this product. I prefer the neutral, because the light does NOT work on my dark skin. I have the oiliest T-zone known to man, and this product has saved me. I no longer have to hide my face at 3pm! I apply it after the Smashbox Primer and before foundation all over (very sparingly with fingertips or i will look like Casper), and my skin is matte and shine-free for hours. Sometimes touch up right before i leave work. Like it way better than my Clinique T-Zone Shine Minimizer and get way more product for the almost the same price. All in all, great product i will continue to use.