July 23, 2014 | 1212 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Matte Anti-Shine [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2008 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Quinton17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this! I have extremely oily skin and have tried countless products, so I decided to buy this from Sephora after reading the reviews on here. This keeps me shine-free longer than anything else I've used. I still have to use a few blotting sheets throughout the day, but not nearly as many as before using this product. As another reviewer pointed out, the best way to apply it is to use to rub a little between your fingers and pat it on. I use this with Bare Minerals foundation and Make up For Ever's Super Matte Loose Powder, and it's the best combination I've found for controlling the oiliness. I will definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2008 4:30:00 AM More reviews by Rachael2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this and have had pretty good luck with it. I find that if I put this on and let it set for a few minutes before applying my foundation that it works better. This is great for oily skin types.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2008 8:14:00 PM More reviews by missy0202

Full of parabens which are bad for your skin. Very expensive for a very small bottle. Doesn't control oil, but instead creates whiteheads. Not the product for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2008 5:16:00 AM More reviews by MilesDevin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've never been a fan of Smashbox, probably due to the fact that their products seem overpriced and lackluster. And this is the most worthless of them all in my opinion. I have very oily skin, and have used almost every mattifier you could imagine on my skin, and this one is probably the worst. It actually makes me look shinier. Why I paid twice as much as my HG Clinique Pore Minimizer T Zone Shine Control for this, I still do not know.

Bottom line- This product does not work for me. Icky.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 9:03:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this based o the reviews here. It most certainly does what it claims regarding shine. Really impressive shine control. In fact, for shine control, it works better than Absence by Jane Iredale (which I love). But as a primer, it leaves a bit to be desired. Absence also works as a primer, and is a good one. Keeps makeup on and looking fresh. Smashbox does not act as a primer, so it does not enhance makeup's lasting power. So, a mixed bag. GREAT as a shine controller, but I would have preferred a product that did double duty as a primer, too. I used the "light" color, which is a medium color in the tube. It's very forgiving, so I did not have some of the white/chalky experiences like the ladies using the colorless did. Though it's advised not to use too much of this, or your skin will look parched. Not sure I will repurchase, or stick with Absence. However, I would most certainly recommend to anyone needing a good, effective anti-shine product. And even at the 27.00 price tag, a little goes a long way, so it's not expensive in the long run.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Like many others here I have a Love-Hate relation to this product. When I got it I had so high hopes for it, Paula Begoun was recommeding it in her book.
    The first thing I noticed was how thick this is, it feels like my clay mask when putting it on. I put it mostly on my T-zone and around the nose, that is the parts of my face that is most oily. It goes on dry-dry, absolute ultra matte. The version that I'm using is the one with a hint of color. And it gives a sheer color to the face, but not enought color to cover redness. Some days it makes my forehead feel a bit dry but not making it flake.
    I have tried it under 3 different foundations. Laura Mercier mineral foundation spf15, Shiseido matifying compact oilfree foundation and Everyday minerals ( the mix of intense and matte).
    I can say this about it. It did make all the foundations more matte. I normally start shine at lunch, and so I also do with this. The big differense before this my face had a little shine after 2 h and then 2h later I was a shiny mess. This helps me to stay matte to lunch (4h) and then the shine comes like at once.
    I did not see any differense with the shiseido foundation. It did work good under both mineral foundations, with the differense that with Everyday minerals I did not have to powder over my nose, a paper to blot the t-zone was enought. Blotting my face and putting powder on my face helps for 2-3h again.
    I have also tried putting it over my foundation instead for a powder and that works to, and you can use it as and primer.
    Contains: Water, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, CI 77499.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by rubyred719

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, I bought this product a year ago. At the time, I didn't really know how to apply it. I applied a decent amount (a quarter size) all over my face and left to go shopping. So imagine not knowing that you had a white film on your face and not knowing it until you passed by a mirror at the mall? Pretty devastating..no wonder people were staring.. Anyways, I was so devasted that I wanted to throw it away but thought against it because of how much I paid for it. So I threw it all the way in my back drawer and forgot about it. Six months later I discovered it again and thought to myself, 'maybe I should give it another try'. I've now been using this for six months and I have perfected the way I apply it. I squeeze a small amount on my hand and use my index finger to swirl it around a bit and then I apply it to the oily parts of my face. A very thin layer is all I really need and it keeps my face matte for most of the day. This stuff is unscented so I don't have to worry about the perfume breaking my face out. Actually, I haven't broken out yet from it. So to summarize this review this stuff works and is easy on the skin, although the price is pretty steep, I will purchase this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2008 9:21:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. I love how matte it makes my skin, but I hate how finnicky it is to apply. If I used too much it rolled off like an eraser or left white marks on my face and if I didn't use enough my skin was shiny in patches. I contacted Smashbox to ask them what is the best way to apply and this is the response I got:
    You are applying the anti-shine correctly. If it rubs off like eraser bits, it probably means you are using too much of the product.. try using a smaller amount. Also, make sure your face is squeaky clean before you apply it. If you still have trouble with it, we do have a new product that works just as well as the ANTI-SHINE, but has a smoother consistency.. it is called PHOTO FINISH FOUNDTION PRIMER LIGHT.

So, I dot the product on where I am oiliest: forehead, nose, chin and eyelids. Then I pat gently. I apply my foundation and I'm good to go. I'm not completely shine-free, I still have to blot. But I'm not as shiny as I used to be and I don't have to blot as often. And now that I use such a tiny amount, I think this tube will last a very long time. I like this much better than Bliss, Peter Thomas Roth, Lancome, MAC and the pluthera of other stuff I've tried in a vain attempt to stay matte. For the record, I have very oily, acne-prone skin and this has not aggravated my acne at all.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by XP0S3D

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW! This product kept my shine at bay and I'm hooked. I'm in love with this product! I bought this anti-shine from Sephora for $27, the price was a little steep, but it's worth the price! I ordered the neutral shade and it came white in the tube. The tube is sanitary and you can control how much of the product comes out.

I apply this on my face prior to putting on my make-up (which as of late is Everyday Minerals and Make Up Forever). You only need A LITTLE of this product. For the most part, I have an oily skin with parts not as oily as rest of my face. I apply a thin layer of this product on my nose, t-zone, forehead, a little bit on my chin and cheeks (to keep the true color of my blush and bronzer). I made the mistake on putting some on my eye area and it made my make-up on that area, dry looking. Bad idea! However, I learned from that and only apply it to areas that do tend to shine more than some. I can understand where the white cast from other reviews is coming from. Don't over apply the product or you'll indeed get this white cast.

Of course, I had to blot and touch up my face at the end of the day, but this anti-shine held my make-up in place which I was happy about. When I used Everyday Minerals, I tend to shine more, but that's because of the ingredient in the foundation. I had less shine when I used Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat powder foundation.

In comparison to Smashbox's Bronze Photo Finish primer (which may I add made my skin feel smooth), I prefer this anti-shine better. It supported my needs more. Overall, I'm happy with this anti-shine and would re-purchase!

For reference, I'm NC/C35 in MAC Studio Fix, Shade 207 in Make Up Forever's Duo Mat powder foundation and Olive Medium in Everyday Minerals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2008 12:25:00 PM More reviews by angelakay016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this in the tinted version. This doesn't eliminate shine all day, but it definitely reduces it. A little goes a long way and you have to work quickly to avoid it rolling up into little balls (which will also happen in you over-rub it). This is much better than both the Clinque and Neutrogena version. Unless I find something to keep shine away better, I will repurchase.