April 19, 2014 | 1795 users online

Pressed Powders - Chanel - Poudre Universelle Compacte

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 7:53:00 AM More reviews by chanel277

I own the compact and the loose version of this powder.I don't use it that often on me,mostly on my clients(I m a make up artist).The reason that I don't use this powder too often on me is because it doesn't control oil production at all and doesn't defeat shine through the day well enough.I have oily acne-prone skin and I prefer powders that are oil free and they control shine and oil production through out the day.The packaging is great very elegant and classy.The compact comes with a mirror and a powder puff.For me the powder puff is hideous.Looks very cheep and doesn't perform well enough.And I m very impressed because much cheaper brands offer much more qualitative puffs in their compacts.So I don't use the puff with this powder but a large powder brush.On the other hand loose powder's packaging it's quite big and very difficult to carry.The powder now works fantastic on normal and slightly dry skins.The compact version is slightly more matte than the loose version,the loose version is more silky and satiny.They both have super fine textures feels like nothing on the skin,offers super natural finish without that ugly too much powder look.Doesn't set into pores or lines and for me works best to set my foundation on my eye area without emphasize the fine lines.I think this powder is very similar with the aero-matte powder from estte lauder but this one I think is much more fine textured than estee lauder's.The texture is very light,soft and pleasant to the touch.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2008 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Brunettegirl

I have not worn powder in a very long time, due to the fact that most make me look too matte and dull and sink into every fine line near my eyes, or leave me looking too pasty white. I live in a very huimd state and started noticing that my Chanel Teint Innocence compact foundation was getting slick looking several hours after putting it on. I do not have oily skin, (T-zone only) in fact more on the normal/drier side. Loving the foundation as much as I do I knew the solution was not to trade out the foundation for another, but get a powder to lightly brush over it. I expected to purchase the loose powder, but ended up with this and I am so happy I did. I think there should be more color options though for those of us in between skin tones. I am usually a NC20-25//Claire or Ivory in Chanel and translucent powder #1 seems just a tad bit too light, but it is so silky and light that I can make the color blend in without much problem. I am so happy I bought this as I feel it tones down any slick areas, evens out skintone, and gives you a natural but flawless coverage. I also like the ease of portability. No mess with the compact. Just dust it on and go and you can bring it along with you anywhere. Did I mention it's always fun to take out a Chanel compact wherever you may be? Lol...It always makes me feel very sophisticated and worth a million bucks...We are so worth it ladies...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2008 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Selene15

woww, could my skin look anymore gorgeous with this?
i have this in translucent 1 and it matches my NW15-20 skin PERFECT!

seriously, it gives the most gorgeous look to skin ever.

and it doesnt feel cakey, it lasts a long time, and has a matte, but not overly matte finish.

this is the only makeup product i've thought about buying a backup!

lalalala-LOVE it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 12:24:00 AM More reviews by whirled

I love this! I can achieve the perfect even skintone you see in magazines. It's like I have (fake) perfect skin with this! I love this a lot! A little goes a long way too. Works really well with my Teint Innocence or BB creams. Would definitely purchase this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2008 2:18:00 PM More reviews by scubaair

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This powder gives me just the right amount of coverage - light and effective. Most powders either appear "cakey" on my skin right after application and/or later in the day. Every time I use this one however, the shiney face is gone, make up stays set, and you can't even tell that I'm wearing it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2008 8:52:00 PM More reviews by sushiomelette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried LM's Loose Translucent Powder and MAC's Mineralize Satinfinish Powder in Light Medium and Chanel's pressed powder makes my skin look matte and gives great coverage. It doesn't dry out my skin like other powders and it lasts pretty long too. I still need to do touch ups during the day, but this powder is of high quality. Real pricey too.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2008 5:18:00 PM More reviews by MaleficentFoxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this in translucent 2. I also use the loose poudre in this shade. And it is great for touching up the T-zone or anywhere else that it needs it. Will repurchase. I also like the fact that it doesnt look cakey or heavy after applying.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2008 10:03:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Nice quality but crappy color selections for those of us who are truly pale. I purchased the translucent one and unfortunately it was too dark on me and turned my face orange. (please note that in Macy's the lighting made this look very pale and natural on me, but of course the real test is seeing this in natural light.) What pissed me off even more is that I left the receipt and box in a bag which was unknown to me thrown out the same night that I purchased this powder, so the next morning when I saw that I was transformed into a oompa loompa, I could not even return this powder as the trashmen had already picked up my bags ....... so pissed especially because I am now out $45!!!!!! I was also annoyed that for all that money, Chanel includes a plastic like piece of material which they try to pass off as a powder puff ...... normally Chanel includes nice brushes with their blushes and even my Rosee powder, but yet this pressed powder did not receive the same courtesy.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2008 8:10:00 PM More reviews by orngeppyseed

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for just over a year, and I'm absolutely in love with it! I use 20 Claire- translucent 1, and it's perfect for my NC20-ish pale yellow asian skin. (I didn't have a trouble with finding the right shade) I'll defintely buy this again. I have to say it's one of the best in the market. Great quality, reasonable price for 15g (most other brands are around or less than 10g), lovely packaging..It's my HG powder.

QUALITY
The powder is very fine, and it doens't look cakey no matter how much you layer it on. I ditched the sponge that came with it and use it with either a retractable brush and sometimes with another sponge applicator. You can apply lightly to maintain a healthy glowing skin while blotting away excess oil, or more heavily for a matte, satiny finish. And it's not drying at all for my normal skin. It never made me break out and lasts reasonably well. It has a typical fragrance to it, not strong or gross at all, which I quite like.
Oh, the coverage isn't too high since it's a translucent powder, but it evens out your skin tone and covers pores makes your skin look smooth.

PRICE
The price can be a little expensive, but compared to the amount (15g), which is way more than what most HE powders contain, and the amazing quality I think that poudre universelle compacte is absolutely worth the price! I've been using this everyday for just over a year, and there's still nearly half of it left! (i usually only touch up twice a day or so, so if you use it more frequently than I do, it'll probably last you a year)

PACKAGE
The packaging is chanel's classic, black square case with the white logo on the lid. The logo doesn't get scratched off because it's kind of embedded into the case. There's a PIC in my gallery. The mirror is big enough to see your face well. It makes you feel elegant and gorgeous when you pull it out of your handbag for touchups.

I hope this helped~:D

EDIT: I went through my first one and repurchased at the end of last year. Only, i paid almost 100 AUD so i guess i really splurged on it, but i think it was well worth it. I tried the EL aeromatte powder which gives more coverage, but i find this one's much more natural. I am loving it! EDIT: i'ved used this over a year everyday(although i don't touch up too frequently) and i still have half of it left!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2008 6:53:00 AM More reviews by rouge_noir

I just can't seem to get it right. After finishing my Bobbi Brown Pressed Powder, I decided to get a smaller compact for my purse, and settled on Givenchy Matmate. Since it's a compact foundation, it was good but sometimes the coverage was a bit too artificial. I lost that compact, and I was going to buy a Guerlain Parure until I read some unfavorable reviews here.

So I finally settled on Chanel, because I like their packaging too, and I always liked their loose powders. The choice of colors is poor, only 4 of them, but luckily 30 Naturel - Translucent 2 is a perfect match to my NW25 skin. Combined with a little blotting, this very fine powder allows for multiple touch-ups during the day and into the night without ever becoming cakey. Also, the large mirror is great.

If only Chanel had provided a compartment for the applicator as many of the competitors do! 9 out of 10 times I open this compact, the thing flies right off! I'm thinking of getting a retractable brush, otherwise it's just unmanageable.