October 24, 2014 | 919 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by laura419

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Gave lots of shine
-Made my nails feel stronger and harder
Cons:
-I found it would lift the nail polish underneath and cause it to peel off. I'd notice it around the edges and I would actually be able to peel off the whole layer of nail polish.
-Doesn't prevent much chipping

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2010 11:45:00 AM More reviews by jillirific

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I gave up on OPI's top coat due to it being a gooey, never-drying mess, so I tried this and I like it alright. I like a very shiny finish and it gives me one. But the best part of this is that it dries very quickly. It's saved me tons of time and nail polish since my OPI top coat manis and pedis would usually be ruined due to its snail's pace drying time. I can do my nails in no time now and they look great.

It is very prone to peeling, though (good for glitter polishes, not for anything else) and I find it spreads unevenly on application. It almost seems to separate from itself and create ridges. It's better than OPI fail coat, but I think Seche Vite wins. The drying time and shiny finish alone make it worth it for me in a pinch or if I don't plan on wearing a polish for very long (then I won't waste the Seche Vite).

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2010 8:03:00 PM More reviews by Janina5309

I felt it went on too thick. It also dissolved and thinned the nail polish so it would smear off. Also didn't dry quickly. Very bad top coat. Used this with the Extended Wear Base Coat, polish only lasted for a week without chipping. That was with socks on most of the time, I imagine with wearing sandals, it would only last 2-3 days. I've had top/base coats that have made my polish last for up to a month.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2010 6:35:00 AM More reviews by amomentwhite

Got this on special at my city's DFO for just a few dollars. Generally don't like Sally Hansen treatments (too peely) or Sally Hansen coloured polishes (too thin, runny, not pigmented) but I had heard such good reviews of this. Doesn't try that quickly which isn't suprising because its just sooo thick. It also says on the label you can apply it on wet polish which I just don't think works. My colours stain the applicator and causes the polish to take even longer to dry. If you have the patience to apply really thin coats, go for it. I reserve this topcoat for when I am wearing my nails bare, in that instance it dries okay and is super shiney.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2010 7:40:00 AM More reviews by artsyesme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got two bottles of this from my mother and i don't mind it because it does a few really great things
1. It can go on top of not fully set nail polish,great for when I'm in a rush
2. it is soooo shiny
3. it sets quickly.
What don't i like? Well i find it actually makes my nail polish chip more quickly than without it even though it says extended wear top coat, its like it sets it so hard the polish cracks and peels away, and because i work with jewelery i am opening clasps all day etc so i need a top coat that really holds my nail polish. Another thing i don't like is that i can't see into the bottle so i don't know when it's running low.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by belinduh319

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this top coat! It dries my nails in 5 minutes. I can even do my nails at night with this because i wont have to worry about my nails getting ruined while i sleep. It leaves my nails super shiny! But it was a bit pricey but i wouldnt mind repurchasing because its worth it! The only bad thing about this is the packaging. I cant even see how much product i have left.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2010 5:14:00 AM More reviews by kalihi1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my fave top coat. I usually paint on 2-3 coats of polish, let it sit for a minute, then paint SH Mega Shine Top Coat. To be safe, I always wait at least 10 minutes before I start doing normal activities, but I'm pretty sure it would be fine after 5 minutes. But I HATE dents/nicks on my nails, even if they're not noticeable to anyone else, so I always wait at least 10 minutes. I do my nails weekly. I don't like the look of old polish, to me it just looks dirty. I'd rather take off all my polish than have my nails look unkept. I've tried Seche Vite and SH Mega Shine works just as good at almost half the price. I've purchased every single SH Mega Shine I own or have owned from Big Lots and Dollar Tree. Whenever I see them at either store, I stock up. SH Mega Shine has the same con as Seche Vite, by mid-bottle, the product gets thick & gooey and you have to toss it out. Another con and this is a big one is, the bottle SUCKS! You can't see how much product is left or if the brush is even dipping in product. But when it starts to get thick & gooey, I just toss it out anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2010 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Alicia22

I love this top coat. It applies flawlessly and drys within seconds. It leaves my nails looking very shiny. It costs anywhere from 5 to 7 dollars. The only thing I dont like is the packaging. It is nearly impossible to see how much product is left because its in a silver bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by princess101

This product works wonders for shine. I really love the glossiness it gives your nails; almost looks wet even when dry. The downside is that while the shine lasts through multiple handwashing, it does chip after a day for me. I'm a busy mom, and this does hold up well to my day-to-day routine. I still love this, and only use it for those special occasions, like when attending weddings or other events and only need the polish for the night.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2010 12:54:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

I got this free in a twin pack. And I really like it! It's goes on really easily- pretty much glides on without all the thickness (but is thick enough and not runny), and leaves behind a professional glossy shine! What is not to like?? And the brush is great too- not too skinny, gets the product on quickly (and smoothly!) without ruining your paint job. It definitely keeps the polish looking fresh for a while. I would totally buy this again, it' a great top coat. Just remember it won't stay that shiny for THAT that long- that's the only thing.