L'Oreal Feria Haircolor

3.0

Shimmering Conditioning Permanent Colour Gel: Aqua/Water, PEG-4 Rapeseedamide, Alcohol Denat., Glyceryl Lauryl Ether, Deceth-3, Propylene Glycol, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Ethanolamine, Dipropylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Ammonium Hydroxide, Polyquarternium-6, Oleyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Ammonium Thiolactate, P-Phenylenediamine, Resorcinol, EDTA, Polyquarternium-24, Erythorbic Acid, M-Aminophenol, N,N-BIS(2-Hydroxyethyl)-P-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, 2-Methylresorcinol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCl. Aromatic Shimmer Serum: Helianthus Annuus/Sunflower Seed Oil, Parfum/Fragrance. Shimmer Boost Hydrating Conditioner: Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Candelilla Wax, Cetyl Esters, Dimethiconol, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquarternium-37, PEG-150/Stearyl Alcohol/SMDI Copolymer, Mineral Oil, Methylparaben, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Aloe Barbadensis/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like the Soft Polished Black Feria shade I get at Sally's Beauty Supply as it delivers the shiny, deep blue shade I so love. For a while anyway, then it fades. It also dries my hair if I use it with the Feria developer its supposed to be used with (about a 25 vol.), so I use it with a generic 10 vol., that way it deposits the color better and doesn't dry my hair as much. I wouldn't buy it except for the fact that I can't find that bright blue shade with any other brand. :(

Love, love LOVE Feria!!! Honestly I have only tried one colour (one of the reds, I can't remember which colour, sorry!) and I have to say I LOVED it! It was the only red I've ever dyed my hair (I've dyed my hair many reds) that didn't need a stupidly insane upkeep schedule. It was so gorgeous and bright! Honestly only one lippie off because I think the price is a little steep for a drug store brand but you can always catch them on sale or find coupons :) I highly recommend Feria.

this stuff left my hair crunchy. it's aweful. the color was one dimensional and dull. there was no shine at all, even my mom asked what i had done to my hair as it looked so lifeless. never again

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm stunned by the negative comments on Feria haircolor, I've had better luck with it than any color I've ever used. But, I don't venture far from my natural color, as a matter of fact, I try to achieve the color I was born with, which is an auburn color. Being 50 years old, the reddish brown color I love is gone, replaced with that ugly no color gray with white streaks. I've used all the different brands but since I use colors with red in them, they fade very fast, all of them. I find that I have the best luck with "lightest golden brown" colors, they always pull red on me. If I use "medium golden brown" they pull darn near black. So, I decided to try Feria in "hot toffee" which is supposed to be a rich golden brown. When I first used it, it was very dark brown with reddish highlights, much darker than what I wanted. Well, it faded in a couple of weeks to the perfect auburn color! And it lasted for weeks with no additional fade. I loved it, absolutely loved it. Will definitely use again but last night I decided to try a lighter red color, to avoid the initial dark hair. I used Feria "amber tortoise" which is a "light coppery brown"but looks very red on the box. Boy, red it is! This is definitely copper, I don't have brown in it at all. It's a lovely color and I really like it but I don't know how quickly it will fade. I'll have to do an update in a few weeks. That said, I definitely recommend Feria but judging from the other reviews, don't try to do a major color change, like blonde to black. Actually, i don't think you should do that with any haircolor, you're just asking for problems.

I decided to dye my hair black with the "bright black" dye. It was platinum blonde at the time, and I had wanting black hair for a long time. Basically, the dye turned my hair a navy blue color. It was hideous. I immediatly went back to the store and bought top 10 black hair dye with red undertones, to cancel out the blue. It worked great. I'll never buy Feria again. Also, one of my best friends dyed her hair one of thier purpleish colors, and it turned her roots pink, affecting nothing else. Feria: you are a stupid, stupid hair dye.

I used L'Oreal Feria in Auburn Brown # 56 over my already dyed light auburn hair (Goldwell) and the color came out true to my strand test. Although I was happy with the color, it did wash out (more than other dyes I've used).
Now for the metallic dye/salt issue. I too was worried about this so I contacted L'Oreal via email asking if Feria--specifically #56-- contains any kind of metallic salts. The rep wrote back:

November 21, 2011

Thanks for contacting L' Oreal on the web.

Feria Hair Colour does not contain any metallic dyes or salts.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Shirley
Consumer Affairs Advisor
Ref #

Of course I wanted to do my own research so I looked up the chemicals for #56 and I couldn't find any chemical compound that could be considered a metallic salt.

I'm not too sure why there is so much confusion surrounding Feria hair color. Just to be safe, strand test first!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I bought this dye in shade M31 (Midnight Moon) to touch up my new growth (my natural hair colour is off black with an auburn tone, but I colour my hair blue-black). The dye applied easily enough and didn't have a harsh smell...my hair colour looked great after I rinsed the dye out, but upon closer inspection, I found that it was now severely dried out and rough feeling.
Over the next several weeks, this dye washed out of my hair at an alarming rate-with each shower, I was dripping gallons of muddy-looking purplish-black water (I have hip length locs, so you could imagine how much coloured water was going everywhere). By the end of the month, my freshly-dyed new growth had gone from "Midnight Moon" to "Burgundy Mud"- my hair faded from the pretty blue black shown on the box to a washed out, lustre-less, dark burgundy mess.
Luckily my hair recovered from the dye fiasco, and I went on to re-colour it with ColorSilk Blue Black, which was cheaper, gentler, and longer lasting.
I will never buy Feria again :(

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

i used to use this hair dye in my teens, but stopped when I found shwartzkopf live xxl. I found Feria faded so fast that after about a week, you wouldnt be able to notice the "fresh" colour anymore!
no i wouldnt buy again, XXL is much better quality, and much nicer colours too!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I have always loved this hair dye. I must be lucky but my dark brown hair always comes out gorgeous and sparkling with this brand. I've used a tone of shades over the last 10 years and I'm always happy. Right now my fav is T53 Medium cool brown. It gives me a rich chocolately but not reddish or orangey brown. It's like makeup for my hair. There isn't any other brand of dye that gives me such a shiney sparkling shade of brown.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My hair had gone through multiple colorings and even a transformation from jet black to platinum blonde without a scratch. It was still soft, bouncy and full....until Feria. I used one of the red shades, Copper Shimmer (more orange than red). Faded in three days and DESTROYED my hair. It has never felt the same. It is so dry and all the conditioning in the world cannot help it. I've had to resort to using semi-permanent haircolor only in the hopes of returning its health.