December 22, 2014 | 1560 users online

Self Tanners - L'Oreal - Sublime Bronze

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2010 2:03:00 PM More reviews by OHSHIEEET

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

ORANGE. ORANGE. ORANGE. Anyone who says that this doesn't turn them orange must be either dark to begin with, applying only a very small amount of product, or blind. Even the color guide is orange. If you want an orange tan like Snooki, this will be PERFECT for you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 8:58:00 PM More reviews by NYC22

I have tried three of L'Oreal's products from the Sublime Bronze line: the tinted lotion in medium, the tinted lotion in dark and the luminous bronzer. The color pay-off is adequate: the medium lotion and the luminous bronzer give a mid-level tan that is all right, but the dark gives a deeper tan that is richer and more noticeable albeit artificial looking. If you are looking for color alone, go for the dark to get a tan a few shades darker than your skin.

I wish my review could end here and I could recommend the Sublime Bronze line. Sadly, there's more to the story. Forget the fact that the color doesn't last long. Forget the fact that application is a long, painstaking process. Forget the fact that you only get seven full body applications from one bottle. There were two deal-breakers for me.

The first was the texture of the product. It is a thick, plasticky gel that I can only assume is filled with silicones. It literally felt like I was applying latex onto my skin. This consistency was very difficult to apply because it was so sticky once I started rubbing it in. It did not spread well and, once it dried on my skin, I felt a distinct coating that would not let my skin breathe. Over time, I dreaded putting this on my skin. It made my skin crawl (no pun intended!).

The second equally bad quality of this line is the smell. At first I didn't notice much of a smell one way or another - it just smelled like a run of the mill cosmetics fragrance. Over time, however, it turned my stomach. I can't describe the scent, but rest assured it wasn't the typical coconut self-tanner smell but something more noxious - something more along the line of cheap cologne and melting plastic. This smell permeated my clothing, my sheets - everything. Even when I wasn't using the product, it would make me heave just thinking about it.

Between the texture and the smell I loathed putting this tanner on. No amount of bronzing could compensate for how nasty this stuff was to use. I finally stopped using it after going through a couple of bottles because I just couldn't take it anymore. I had almost given up on self-tanners when I tried the Hawaiian Tropic Island Radiance Creme Lotion self-tanner (see my other review). The difference is like night and day. The Hawaiian Tropic has next to no smell, feels just like a real lotion and gives great color that lasts almost a week. Please don't make yourself sick with the L'Oreal like I did - try the Hawaiian Tropic instead!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2010 9:46:00 AM More reviews by productgrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have a review in for the Loreal Sublime Bronze Luminous Selft Tanner on this site and really liked the product's results, but HATED the sparkles, the STENCH, and the stickiness. Was planning to buy another bottle for summer (like I said, loved the color and the long lasting results) and when I could not find it at Walgreens, bought this product instead. Beware, this is a STRONG self tanner. I have years of experience applying ST and even I could NOT get it right- streaky, streaky, ankles were a mess etc. I just about gave up, but tried one more time, this time applying it immediately after applying lotion- and voila! ...great and even color! I have since started mixing it with some yummy smelling lotion (1/2 and 1/2) to combat the smell, the slight stickiness, and to help get even results, and have now created my HG gradual self tanner (which is my pref as it is much more low maitenance and goof proof). The color results with this blend are great and VERY long lasting, much less sticky, the fragrance is only detectable several hours after the color develops (standard ST chemical smell), and the bottle now lasts forever (yay savings!). Overall, this is good stuff. I dont love the bronzer in it, but the sparkle is minimal and it does wash off clothing if it transfers (it does minimally on light clothing). I plan to keep using this and am dumping the L'oreal Sublime Luminous ST.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2010 9:33:00 PM More reviews by rguffin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Left my legs looking like sparkling carrots. Left streaks. and! hard as nails to get off. (took 2 days worth of body scrub to remove)...

I would never buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2010 9:18:00 PM More reviews by bubblepop915

the first time i tried this product i was so happy i looked so good. it wasnt like an olive kind of tan but it was very sun kissed looking. however, the second time i tried it about a month later after stopping using it i looked like an oompa lumpa, dont know whats up with that. I wouldnt buy again, nd i am DYING to try sun labratories self tanning products!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2010 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Limber

I tried this a few years ago when I was completely new to self tanning. The results were terribly streaky and disgusting. I was mortified and ditched drugstore tanners and have since been trying higher end ones, each of which I have been satisfied with on and off over the past few years (Clinique, Lancome, Mary Kay, Glowfusion and most recently St Tropez). St. Tropez is my favourite so far but I find the messy and inconvenient application process SO lame. I ended up switching to L'oreal sublime glow (the gradual version of sublime bronze) which I absolutely adore. However, I am finding these days that sublime glow is always seems to be out of stock (maybe discontinued)... I decided to try sublime bronze again and Im so glad I did! I think the main reason it was so horrendous for me before was that I really had no idea what I was doing; self tanning is definitely not just about even application. Moisturizing and exfoliation are so important (along with a tanner that suits your particular skin tone). I am quite pale and this one never turns me anything but a beautiful toasty brown. Before I apply (any brand) fake tanner, I exfoliate my whole body with my fave scrub (Tree Hut Brazil Nut), then after drying off I moisturize my ankles, knees, elbows, hands and feet. I carefully apply the tanner all over, sometimes including my face. For me, my tan stays even and dark if moisturize every day and exfoliate every few days. I reapply it about every 4 days. I also try to shave at least 24 hours prior to application. Hope this helps someone!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2010 10:22:00 AM More reviews by junipurr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

let me start by saying that i usually avoid getting any kind of tan,i'm generally around NC 30-35 naturally.one year my upper body got quite dark but my legs were oddly pasty so i decided to give this a whirl despite being very wary of self tanners-bought a cheap one a long time ago that turned me orange.
i was very pleased with this.i liked that the gel was tinted so i could see where i'd applied it/get a little color right away.it blended easily for me and didn't cause any irritation.personally,i liked the sparkles,but since i only used this on my legs it wasn't over the top.had i needed to use this on my chest/arms,i probably wouldn't be a fan.
my favorite part about this was that it gave me a believable,bronzy-brown tan,not an orange glow.
if i had a need for self-tanner again,i would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2010 10:18:00 AM More reviews by ABreezySays

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since VS has a tendency to discontinue their products (as did w. their liquid bronzer) I was stuck getting this. I have no problems as far as color goes. I already achieved a golden tan and thought this would make my skin glowy, so I went ahead and purchased L'OREALS version. I usually layer on a coat of lotion,baby oil and then finally the bronzer. I find this technique doesn't give that fake orange tan look l0l. Anyways the major con of this bronzer, I feel, is the smell. I hate it ! It's just not pleasant, to say the least, despite all my efforts of layering "/

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2010 9:03:00 AM More reviews by ThisIsNotATroll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Left me with an orange hue

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by yoitzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'M ORANGE WITH GLITTER! I saw this and picked it up decided to try it out. I didn't get any streaks (after blending till parts of my skin was RED) but my palms and my legs and the undersides of my arms (pretty much all the areas that was much lighter and needed a boost of tan) are OOMPA LOOMPA ORANGE. To top it off, the stuff has glitter so not only am I an oompa loompa, I'm a tween oompa loompa. The scent is strong and the formula is extremely sticky. I dried off for 20 minutes before putting my clothes back on and my shirt was stuck to my back the second I put it on. EUGH. Never buying this AGAIN!