September 3, 2014 | 1092 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - White Linen

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2006 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Clearing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have worn White Linen (parfum) for several years now, usually at Thanksgiving. The last time I wore it was for my Dad's funeral. It was just perfect for that day in the foggy northwest to remember him. Now when I wear it, I remember him again, and that sentimental day of course. It's a scent for those who like nostalgic fragrances, starched tablecloths, and feminine touches, but you must love rose fragrances to love this. Some say it goes sour on them. For me this is all about perky green roses; a bit tart, but not sour, softend with iris and a dry woody base.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2006 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Serenawm

Smells chemically on my skin. Wouldn't buy it again...

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2005 3:24:00 PM More reviews by dewdropsjd

NEUTRAL. I think alot of ladies should be fair to those that love this fragrance because it is indeed a lovely fragrance depending on who is wearing it. It does not match my chemistry and it makes me gag everytime I apply it. However, at least five times I have asked someone what wonderful fragrance she is wearing (sidenote: I love perfume but now I love makeup more), she replied "white linen".

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2005 11:41:00 PM More reviews by shishilala

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Never liked this fragrance. In a word Awful. So shallow, empty. When I smell it on others which thankfully isn't too often these days...I just KNOW that they know zilch about perfume. You couldn't pay me to wear it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2005 3:56:00 PM More reviews by kurikumi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

plain and boring packaging, but its a pretty nice scent, i used it 7 yrs ago when i was in high school =D

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2005 5:57:00 PM More reviews by Janay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Grandmother always purchased White Linen gift sets for me when she was alive. I did not have the heart to tell her that I disliked the fragrance (yes, I'm a coward, but she was a sensitive person and would have been very disappointed). The aldehydes, amber, and everything in between worked together to give me a headache. Interestingly, from a distance, White Linen can smell good on other people, so I gave it two lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2005 7:38:00 PM More reviews by superjunkie

IMHO, Estee Lauder's all time masterpiece. I usually find her fragrances common and predictable, and, since her retirement around 1990, the new fragrances have been pointless, contrived and pure mass-market dribble- but this little gem stands out.
Estee Lauder was suffering critism around 1980 (actually, all her life) for cheapening the very elitist, priveledged world of parfum. All of the grandest houses- Patou, Chanel and Guerlain- left her out of the "club" for being a marketing enterprise with no real artistic vision (sorry to tell it like it is). She was considered to be an American company, not a house- in essence, a tacky wanna-be.
White Linen was designed to be her rebuttal- that she could hold her own against the European greats and produce a fragrance of pure integrity and intellect. Did she succeed?
This was a reaction to the heady, floriental fragrances of the day- and although White Linen did not break the trend (coonsider Beautiful and Knowing-she caved in to the trend), but White Linen proved successful and distinct, and put a proverbial notch in he belt.
As you might have guesses, I do not think she (or the company) has come even close since. What a shame, as this treasure really changed my mind about EL altogether.
When I smell White Linen, I think of (RIP) Diorissimo and the endangered dry florals that are being pushed out for the get-rich-quick fragrances that permeate the modern market. Guerlain was sold to LVMH- and the Guerlains are diminishing their role in the company; Patou is now owned by (gasp) Proctor and Gamble, and true to form, they changed JOY-which is, in the world of fragrances, like changing the Mona Lisa. Annick Goutal died. Creed has nothing to do with the original Creed family. Even Chanel has dismissed their in-house perfumers and contract out to make their products more "marketable".
Sad but true, the artists have little place left in the world of fragrances.
And, oh, yeah- I forgot- I like White Linen!!!!!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2005 3:45:00 PM More reviews by JonMoss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It smells like baby powder and it is very strong.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2005 3:59:00 PM More reviews by SummerSailing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this on at a friend's house back in 1982 and immediately fell in love with it. That same day I went out and bought a bottle of White Linen. I've had a bottle of this in my perfume wardrobe ever since. To me, White Linen evokes everything its name implies: it's a crisp, clean, and classic summer floral scent. Best of all, it's very reasonably priced even in department stores.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2005 7:12:00 PM More reviews by ellaboo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

At first I really liked this scent but as the day wore on I started to get a headache. I now know why. Although this scent had many of the notes I usally love in perfumes. I found out later that it had a bit of amber in the base notes. I always get sick from perfumes that have amber or other resins in them. It now makes perfect sense why at first I liked it enough to shell out the money for it only to be a bit green in the face hours later.......Citrus and aldehydes give an immediate impression of freshness to this floral blend of rose, jasmine, lily of the valley and lilac. The overall scent remains cool despite a woody end note of sandalwood and cedar warmed by hints of honey, benzoin, tonka bean and amber... Don't be fooled like I was by the fresh scent. There is a touch of headache inducing amber in there. If you have a tolerence for amber & resin then this is a really nice fresh perfume.