April 16, 2014 | 1938 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 6:20:00 PM More reviews by elfelettem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This really does enhance my skin. Gives a very good coverage as a foundation as it evens out my skintone and disguises blemishes. I also use this more in line of concealer sometimes and concentrate on my dark circles and around my nose and etc.

I found this product hard to work with at first, it felt cakey and tended to accentuate my pores, I think I was using wrong application and also using too much product. Additionally not being used to having to use a primer I didn't really see how essential primer was.

I bought this with the primer but it was quite expensive and a tiny quantity, so now i'm using Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch and it works just as well IMO.

I do one section of my face at a time to make sure that the primer is still a bit slippery and hasn't settled completely. This works better for me YMMV. I apply a tiny amount either with my fingers or a brush, work that into all the areas that it needs to go and then finish by using a brush (or damp sponge) to buff this in. In this way it really does look natural (but so much better!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 5:19:00 PM More reviews by tracyltrust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is fabulous. With a damp sponge I can use this by itself and it gives full coverage while looking like skin. A tiny amount goes very far as this is highly pigmented and blends like a dream. Before actually experiencing it I couldn't have imagined how unique this product really is.
I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and was amazed at how little was needed to create a tinted moisturizer (of course you could add more to make a higher coverage product). The SA also suggested adding it to my regular foundation to up the coverage but I have yet to try that.
So far I am really loving this on its own, full strength. It takes a little more time/effort to blend but the results are SO worth it.
When I asked my boyfriend what he thought he said it literally didn't look like I had makeup on my skin. It isn't a "natural" look, however, meaning that your skin doesn't really show through. It doesn't look cakey or mask-like either so for those who avoid fuller coverage products for this reason needn't worry. It's like having beautiful smooth satiny airbrushed skin from a magazine. I'm serious.
The blendability and creamy texture of this make it ideal to use on the undereye area and I have been able to forego my other concealer products when I use this. I have normal/combo skin (oily t-zone) w/ some fine lines under my eyes and around my mouth. I use a primer before any foundation to fill in any larger pores and lines.
I imagine the versatility of this product makes it suitable for all skin types as dryer ladies can mix this w/moisturizer.
This is not a matte finish but it isn't dewey either. I would call it satin with a tendency towards dewey if you are oily. I set it with my Smashbox Halo powder for a matter finish.
I haven't had to use it cover any blemishes yet but I will update when my inevitable TOTM pimples require attention. With such intense pigmentation I can't imagine it not covering just about anything...
This product is packaged as a small jar and is less than you would get with standard foundations but I see it taking forever for me to finish this one jar. It's like a highly concentrated foundation and were you to mix it with moisturizer or another foundation you'd likely get twice as much usage from it than a standard-sized foundation.
I am around NC 15, MUFE HD 117, Bobbi Brown Porcelain and got this in SX03 which is a dead on match.
I'll be sure to update as I use this more. I've been using it for a week so far and am in love.
Edit (April 2012): I recently discovered sx02 is perfect for my undereye circles (lighter & more pink) while sx03 is still a good color match for all over use. Sometimes i feel the 03 leans a little too yellow so because I fear looking sallow I add a dab of the 02. Still adore this- especially for heavy coverage or to add to moisturizer when I want a "treatment" + coverage. First pot is still going strong and I scored my 2nd alternative color at 20% off at Dermstore (there was a code) so watch for one of those-maybe get on their mailing list? Not affiliated w/Dermstore btw.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by apostolos

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I just purchased this product because I need a makeup that will stay on longer than BB foundation. I have have some red undertones and brown spots that I have been trying to cover and look as natural as possible. I like the makeup and am learning to use with moisturizer, but I think the color is too light #03. How can I get samples to try because the color choice sounds vital? I have tried mineral makeups for about a year now because my daughter recommended they would add color without harming my skin. But ColorScience and Jane Iredale really dry out my skin and accentuate the wrinkles.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2009 3:11:00 AM More reviews by jini79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation is amazing. All flaws gone in a second. The trick is to apply it thin and a pinhead size amount is enough for a flawless finish for the entire face. A few years ago, I found out that Kevyn Aucoin actually prepped the skin with the La Mer moisturizer first. Since then, i have been doing that and it makes an incredible difference to the application. ( i use a sponge or a brush) In regards to the shades, the colours are great. Nothing overly pink or grey. I have this foundation in my kit and prefer it over RCMA any day. This is also my first choice for my own foundation when I need to look flawless. I substituted the La Mer with the Nivea cream a few times and the results are quite similar. I usually finish up with further blending with my finger tips and sometimes some loose powder as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2009 5:48:00 PM More reviews by AznGurl08

can somneone please tell me where in the U.K I can buy it from???!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 3:36:00 AM More reviews by angelyshis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this as a concealer for under my eyes so this review is in description of that. The coverage of this is fantastic. Truly just the teeniest tiny speck goes a looong way. It's amazing how much so little can cover. This is a great thing since upon first opening this pot I was surprised how little there was of this when thinking this is meant to also be a foundation. This blends bery well and is super creamy. The problem for me that it is a little too emollient. With my oily skin this has too much of a tendency to slide around. Even set with powder this lasts only a few hours before it starts to migrate. If you have skin on the drier side this would be a great products for you. Sadly my oily skin keeps this from being an HG undereye concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2009 5:14:00 PM More reviews by ciscocat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation, or in my case, concealer. This is another unique KA product that I've added to my arsenal. It IS thick, however, and can be tricky to use so technique is everything. I make sure I moisturize and use an eye cream and then I take up a very small (less than pea-sized) amount and dot it under my eyes and between my brows and sometimes in the corners of my nose and blend carefully. I don't use a concealer brush, but I bet if I did it would be that much easier. I swear my fine lines and circles seem to disappear even in harsh light. If you use too much or pick the wrong color, I can see this being a disaster, but I love the coverage and it's great for spot covering and undereye shadows. I use SX 05, a perfect yellow-toned ivory for my PPP complexion. I had a sample of this that lasted me for over a month and once I figured out the best way to use it, I ran to Sephora to get myself a jar. It's not cheap, but I can tell it will last forever. Incidentally, I just learned that a boutique store outside of Boston will be carrying the entire line (unlike Sephora) so now I'll be able to test drive their brushes too!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2009 11:58:00 AM More reviews by llbeanpole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Update: I think I might have just mixed my own version of the Sensual Skin Enhancer. I have an oil based foundation cream I bought in the UK which is too dark and sheer for me. I tried mixing some of my mineral powder foundation in a small jar with a teaspoon of the cream foundation to see if I could improve it, and the more powdered foundation I stirred in (and stirred very well...), the more it thickened till it became a rather good alternative to the SSX! And like the SSX, a tiny pea size of the concentrated final product is enough for the whole face. I tried the same with tiny amounts of other cream foundations (it has to be creamy with some oils), some of them whipped and lighter in texture, some with glow effects, etc., and I am getting a lot of interesting new high coverage options from my existing 80+ stash of foundations and concealers. It's truly a fun afternoon for me.

Original review: After harboring the lemmings for this foundation for the longest time because of the reviews, I finally plunked down the cash for a pot of the SX6. The shade is a close match to my NC20-25 Asian skin, though a bit too yellow. I have been having a horrible outbreak of acne and after slathering on the Retin-A, the plague appears to be beating a retreat but I still have spots to reckon with for the foreseeable future. I was desperate for an industrial strength concealer, and the SSE seems to fulfill that role admirably. I was prepared for the tiny pot, and the cream was truly thick in texture. Forewarned, I took a tiny grain and tried to thin it, and it does look less pasty when sponged on over the face. However, I don't like the resulting look and the texture it imparts on the skin. It is very "flat" in its finish and it's obvious I have a layer of makeup on, even though I applied the product sparingly, only sponging extra over the spots that needed more help. It also sinks into enlarged pores. I suppose I am spoilt by the Stephane Marais creme foundation (discontinued) I have been using which is not only almost invisible but imparts an amazing luminous smoothness like that of a peeled boiled egg. The Kevyn Aucoin just can't compare in that respect, but yes, it does cover better than the Stephane Marais. I have tried other cheaper, thicker mineral oil based concealers, and I can't say the SSE performs much better for the price. I will continue to use it as a highly effective concealer, but definitely not as a foundation, as I have found better ones out there, eg. LSF, SM, Chantecaille. I would rate the SSE better than the usual silicone-laden foundations though, as it doesn't give the same tell-tale "glow" or rub and slide off in the same unsavory manner.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2009 11:23:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I, too, love this and while I go through phases when I use it and then let it sit in my drawer I always come back to it and enjoy rediscovering it. I use 07 and am fair with yellow undertones (MUFE 017, BB Sand), blue eyes, brown hair. I don't use this as a foundation but as a concealer. I also use it over my regular foundation on those areas I need extra coverage to even out freckles, sun damage, hormone-related brown spots, etc. I use moisturizer under my foundation, then after that has set - usually after I do the rest of my face - I just pat a tiny bit onto those areas that need the extra coverage. I can even pat it on over powder and it blends in. I have darker skin on my jaw line and around my mouth and this really does even out those areas. I also have dark circles and will pat a bit of this over my makeup to cover them perfectly. No dry cakey-looking under-eye skin and it stays on without settling into the lines I am slowly but surely getting.

As others have mentioned, color selection is important. I have both 05 and 07 and mix them as I need to depending on the day.

It is a really good product but not a slap-on and go type of thing. I am just happy I can even out my skin tone so easily and not feel like I am wearing a ton of makeup.

Will buy again but it lasts forever so on a per-use basis it is a bargain.

EDIT: Don't use this as often as I used to. I find I like CoverMark Face Magic better. I am subtracting a lippie.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by BohemianMartini1

Love this stuff! This is truly one of those products you have to see to believe. Don't get me wrong though. It's not a swipe and go product. This stuff does does take a little time and patience to apply but if you're willing to commit, you'll be amazed at the look. The first time I wore it, I was told by numerous co-workers that I glowed. "Glowed!" My boyfriend commented that I had perfect skin. How awesome is that! Okay down to the details....I purchased my product at Sephora - the MA was an idiot. She tried to apply it like a regular foundation. (But that's a different story.) I read a crap load of reviews so I knew what I was in for. I exfoliated well and moisturized. I cannot emphasize this step enough. I hate to say this, but it will pick up any dry patches - so please be warned. I took a lightly-dampened foundation brush and dotted the tiniest bit on various spots on my face. I proceeded to work it into my skin. It does thin out as it warms on the face, making application easier. Once I had achieved the coverage I was looking for, I took a lightly dampened sponge and worked on blending it into the crevices and just evening out the coverage. It really only took an extra few minutes in the morning. (I normally just swipe some of my MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation.) But in terms of time versus look - this is worth the extra few minutes. I did find that after using it a few times, it took way less time to apply. This truly is a wonderful product. The consistency is kind of like...whipped frosting. I enjoyed the smell. It feels so light on, which is amazing. Overall - the best full-coverage foundation I've ever used (and I must stress the words - FULL COVERAGE). They could probably double the price and I'd still buy it. =)