November 25, 2014 | 1840 users online

Scrubs - St. Ives - Apricot Scrub

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Abraxia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been looking to a good alternative to products containing micro-beads after reading about how terrible they are for the environment when I saw all the glowing reviews of this product online.

I picked it up in January on a grocery store shopping trip and was pleased with how cheap the price was, that's where the good stops.

I wouldn't consider myself someone with extremely sensitive skin, I've never really had a problem with oil or dryness or really any sensitivity to any products. I do get the occasional bit of acne before my cycle but that's about it, overall I'd say i have a normal skin type.

I used this product for the first time on 01/29/2014 and the first thing I noticed immediately was how abrasive this is. I feel like the apricot shells are way too rough of an exfoliater for the skin on the face but I used it anyway due to all the glowing reviews. Fast forward to 02/05/2014 and I had the worst break out of my life. I figured maybe the mask is just purging the gunk out of my pores so I let this experience go. I tried it again on 2/08/2014 and immediately broke out the next day. I gave it one last try on 03/03/2014 and now have a face littered in small white spots on 03/09/2014. I haven't changed anything else in my routine so it must be this scrub!

The search continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 1:07:00 PM More reviews by bmacieje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Reading the reviews on this product I came to my own conclusion. This is a trial and error product for people searching for the best scrub for their OWN skin.

I love this. I have scarring on my cheeks and an uneven surface on my face. It gets worse if I don't exfoliate at least once a week. I use this scrub once a week, in the shower and scrub for a minute all over my face. I rinse and my skin feels incredibly smooth, and it doesn't tighten up. It feels great. This doesn't make my the acne on my forehead and chin worse. The scarring doesn't get worse either.

For those with extremely sensitive skin, I probably don't recommend. This product certainly scrubs off unwanted particles and dead skin on the face. It's cheap (under $10), and I've had mine for about 4 months now.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by ksidrah

I was going through the reviews of this product and saw that this could seriously damage your skin due to the apricot seeds being extremely rough and leaving scars and thank god I stopped using this! It never did anything for my acne or blemishes, if it did anything good it was make my skin soft but honestly DONT BUY THIS EVER!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by evenesence21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff does what it is suppose to do, what more can you ask for?

Is it harsh? Yes, it is, that is why it is not recommended to be used MORE than twice a week. It actually exfoliates, leaving your new, fresh, glowing, skin showing when you are done. It also helps reduce acne, blackheads, etc.

If you have sensitive skin, they have one for sensitive skin, that still gets the job done, but is much less harsh and less rough, so go for that one instead.

This works, I've tried other ones that have soft beads, that are USELESS and don't exfoliate at all...they just clean your your face.

I love this product and can't say enough good things about it. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by beautifulxoxdisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. I have very sensitive acne prone skin so I thought when I first tried it it was going to strip my skin bare but I was so wrong. I had a massive breakout all over my face about a week ago and by using this every night after my make up remover and hot cloth cleanser my face has cleared up a treat. My skin is not perfect but it is 10 times better than what it was. I only gave this product 4 lipsticks for the packaging because I find it always goes all over the lid and goes all hard. Yuck! Except that I love it and have repurchased it about 4 times! Love Love Love!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by ceebee90

For one of the most popular scrubs on the market, it doesn't have the best reviews! I was expecting to see people raving, but I can see how this one's not universally appealing. That said, mines will be a rave review.

My skin can take a lot of abuse. Products don't inflame my skin or cause any reaction. I can use harsh, abrasive exfoliants, loads of fragrance, alcohol... Really just about anything, although I try to keep it simple just in case.

That said, this is one of my skin care staples. I've been using it since junior high (a little over a decade) and I still run to the drugstore whenever I run out. I use it maybe once or twice a week for a really abrasive, and effective, exfoliant. After using it, my face feels totally soft and brand new. I find that makeup looks better after using it because it scrubs away any clinging dead skin cells or patches. I find my skin tone looks more uniform, too. I also like the feel of the walnut shell powder scrubbing my face. Unlike with more "gentle" scrubs, I actually feel like this one is doing something! It doesn't have a lot of overpowering fragrance, which is also nice.

All that being said, those with sensitive skin should obviously stay away from this. Most dermatologists recommend a gentle scrub with more rounded little beads, as opposed to the jagged nature of walnut shell. This scrub contains a number of ingredients that may inflame sensitive skin. But if you're like me, and your skin can take it, this scrub is a classic and a best-seller for a reason! Just use it once or twice a week and don't scrub too hard or for too long.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by MissNolasco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall, this apricot scrub is worth 4 stars, I think it is nice smelling and actually works on acne breakouts, but the smell is a little bit overpowering which is why I knocked off one star. I would buy this for my brother, who has acne like I do and he would love it, I know he would and that is very hard.... Finding a product which my brother would love! 4 stars well deserved!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2014 11:53:00 AM More reviews by lulu6789

This is horrible and abrasive. It gave me hundreds of acne ice pick marks and make my spots 1000x WORSE! The smell was bearable but not pleasant at all. Never ever buying again. If you have skin that is extremely tough then this will still harm you

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by janaoo4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

The packaging is the only good thing about this product. I used to go from store to store trying to find the best exfoliator, and ladies and gentlemen, this is not it. People always think that this stuff must be gentle because heck! It's apricot seeds! How could that be damaging?

Well it is. I wish I knew what I know now back then. All of these products like this, or LUSH's Ocean Salt all have exfoliating agents that are far too large, and too sharp to actually do any good for your skin. They should be renamed grinding agents. The apricot curnels literally have sharp edges on them from where they were broken, so instead of being a mild abrasive that helps sluff off dead skin, this stuff is just tearing up your poor skin leaving it raw, and unhealthy. Not to mention all the perfumes in this stuff that only serve to cause further irritation. You're scratching your skin, and causing micro gouges, then dumping perfume into those fresh wounds, it's a bad combo that will leave you skin dull looking.

Cheaper AND BETTER option. Use Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and baking soda. I've said this before, but this is something that you can make for pennies at home AND it will work MUCH better than St. Ives, LUSH's or other scurbs. All you have to do is mix the baking soda and olive oil into a thin paste. The cold pressed EVOO retains a chemical structure which is very similar to human sebum (oil) so it doesn't clog your pores. Instead, it removes excess dirt, and oil, and even helps break up dirt and oil that is clogging your pores (you can use this all over your body, including your face). The oil leave your skin very clean and moisturized. The baking soda is a very, very mild abbrasive. The particles are so fine that it gently helps slough off dry skin, polishing it to a healthy glow, instead of the dry, dull mess that these other scrubs seem to leave you with. Baking soda also helps kill bacteria that causes acne, so it's great if you have acne on your face, chest or back. Though I will say, because it has a basic pH, it can sting just a little if it gets into an open wound. You can switch baking soda out for fine brown sugar if you have issues, but it won't kill bacteria. After you're done, you just rinse, then use a mild soap to remove any excess oil (though it's ok, and actually pretty good to leave a bit of oil on the skin).

You can make this scrub at home quickly, and cheaply. I've seen boutique versions selling for $30 a bottle! But you can make it at home for pennies! Plus you can always use your left over St. Ives bottle. It's the only good thing about this product. I make a small premix, and pour it into the empty St. Ives bottle to keep the shower. Anyways, that's my two cents. I didn't like St. Ives, or any products like this. Felt they were ripping me off, I suggest you try the EVOO scrub for yourself, but to each their own.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by Madridista

I have combination skin and lately I noticed a LOT of whiteheads and blackheads on my face. This scrub did an amazing job clearing my skin without any irritation even if I have sensitive skin. You ABSOLUTELY have to tone and moisturize after using this because it has salicylic acid in it. I use witch hazel as a toner and cetaphil moisturizer after... And this scrub is just AMAAZIIING !!!!