April 16, 2014 | 1012 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by SwtStrawb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this to remove eye makeup only. I wear waterproof mascara and eyeliner that I apply very close to my lashline everyday. I've tried various eye makeup removers in the past and they simply aren't as effective as Albolene. I apply this to the eye area only, tissue off and then do my detail work with a q-tip (again dipped in more product) to get my lash line area. I then cleanse with Oil of Olay sensitive face wash. My true test for eye makeup remover is if I wake up the next morning with remnant mascara flakes underneath my eyes (even after cleansing). With Albolene I never have remnant flakes of eye makeup! (FYI: I've tried Clinique take the day off, DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, Pond's CC, Vaseline, Baby oil).

And to answer those reviewers who say Albolene is just like Vaseline...I have to say he** no! A couple of times when traveling I forgot to pack my Albolene. (This is because I have to scoop some out in small pill container, there's no way I'm packing this large monster! lol) I wind up having to buy something cheap and on the fly to remove my eye makeup. Baby oil is horrible: it gets most of your eye makeup off but is extremely unpleasant to use and you can never completely rinse it off. And as far as Vaseline goes...have you ever *really* tried to use Vaseline to remove your eye makeup..because I have! lol It's thick and doesn't really break down waterproof mascara. It also didn't pass my morning after test.

Anyway, I hope my review is helpful. This container lasts me well over a year but I do only use it on the eye area. Another weird side note, my cats love this stuff! If I'm not careful my cat will lick the product in the container. Which is really not cool! They don't get sick off of it and I'm thinking maybe it helps with furballs. lol

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2010 10:03:00 PM More reviews by amyhuskiewicz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is a fabulous, fabulous cleanser/ makeup remover! It's easy to pass this over, as it sits unassumingly on the bottom shelf of random drugstores in its unattractive, industrial package. It's the cleansing equivalent of some relatively unknown nasty-looking local dive with awesome food. I use this with clarisonic by massaging it over my face then lathering up the clarisonic with Dove beauty bar and then rinsing the whole deal with lukewarm water. Good bye makeup, goodbye residue and hello to skin silky like butter and what happy, unirritated skin it is! This is a miracle product for anyone with dry, flaky, irritated or sensitive skin. It also causes no breakouts for me. This is not simply a non-irritating cleanser a la cetaphil or cerave, it actually soothes and moisturizes like a balm. Why did it take me so long to find this gem?! (probably 'cause it sits all unassuming on the bottom shelf of the drugstore) It is also excellent for use with plain old hands or washcloth, no clarisonic needed for amazing results! There, now go tell your friends so that this NEVER gets discontinued (mumbles prayers to cleansing gods).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2010 8:33:00 PM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I dont like sticking my fingers in things, so I wish this came in a pump bottle. But nonetheless, this is a great makeup remover that is also moisturizing and doesnt strip the skin. I just massage this into my skin and tissue off. I especially like this for removing eye makeup and stubborn mascara. I prefer this over pond's cold cream because it is more moisturizing then ponds. I will probably use Pond's during the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 4:30:00 PM More reviews by piccolamandorla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've tried lots of oil based makeup removers; DHC, Babor, Shu Uemura, MAC, etc. and I have to say that Albolene is the easiest to use, the easiest to remove, the most thorough and since it's mostly solid until it liquifies on your skin, the safest to travel with.

I have skin that is fairly greasy on top and dry underneath and wear makeup every day. My evening routine with Albolene is to put my hair back, take a dime sized blob of Albolene from the unattractive jar and smooth it over my face and eyes, place a washcloth under the hot tap, wave it out so its not too hot, put it over my face and press it in for a few seconds, and then wipe away the excess. You will be amazed at how well this works! It removes makeup, even mascara, completely and leaves your skin clean and soft and your lashes and brows shiny and moisturized. My lashes have definitely improved since I've started using Albolene because I'm not constantly tugging my mascara (and lashes) off!

You can also tissue the cleanser off, but I wouldn't reccomend it unless you have severely dry skin.

Unlike wipes, it doesn't require a lot of rubbing and pulling to remove makeup, it just slides right off with a warm, wet washcloth and leaves behind clean, soft skin.

You can even use it to exfoliate. I sometimes add baking soda to it or even a packet of sugar when I'm travelling to make a smoothing scrub before makeup.

A $10 tub should last a good six months with everyday use. It will devastate your washcloths though! I reccomend buying some cheap white washcloths from Target or Walmart...the amount of makeup that gets on them is staggering!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I like balm type cleansers which allow me to massage away my makeup and hopefully massage the cares of the day away as well.

This is not easy to come by in the UK, but I managed to track it down, and it is OK, not great, but OK.

Good points for me are that it doesn't have much of a smell - faint petrochemical but that is it. It removes all makeup with a couple of applications. I can use it around my eyes with minimal irritation. It is very softening.

Not so good for me is that the consistency is too thin, it really is like rubbing lard or vaseline into the skin, I have to concentrate when I massage this in as I slip and slide all over my face and into my hairline and up my nose and that is not conducive to relaxation at all!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 11:32:00 AM More reviews by WakeMySoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

One word for this: vaseline.

I thought this would be some wonderfully milky cream similar to a cold cream etc. that would very gently cleanse my makeup off but it's no such thing... instead it is just vaseline (petroleum jelly, w/e you want to call it) with a little mineral oil thrown in, I knew what the ingredients were but still somehow convinced myself it would be the cream dreamy makeup-remover and it's not. Petroleum jelly doesn't work for me, exp. not for gentle, quick and easy makeup remover, and honestly this stuff made me dryer than I am and didn't even do a very effective job getting my makeup off to the extent that I had to get out my bottle of EVVO to get the rest off. So- in short, if you like vaseline and have found it has good results and plays nice w/ your skin as far as makeup-removal goes, then I would suggest this. For those who are NOT into smearing vaseline all over your face, skip this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a new oil-based make up remover cause my grapeseed oil precleanse was getting pretty drying..i ended up buying a whole thing of this for about ten dollars because of all the great reviews...its very thick and almost feels like you're spreading vaseline all over your face...i would use it dryly and then wipe off with a tissue before cleansing with my cleanser...its kind of difficult to do that though because this stuff is so THICK and honestly i'd freak out from leaving it on too long b/c i felt like it would stick to my pores! i used this about 5 or 6 times and noticed my skin was actually getting even drier and flaky since using it, so i have since switched to Pond's Cold Cream, and I LOVE IT! It's creamy, and moisturizing, and fun to use, and its much easier to tissue off, and even more effective at removing makeup....it makes my skin feel more healed too, which this didnt...so yeah, try ponds! perhaps albolene is better in the more humid oily summer months rather than the end of winter..

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 10:10:00 AM More reviews by MJDav1s

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! It cleans the makeup off very well even the waterproof stuff, and it leaves my skin feeling very soft. Plus it is inexpensive, found at most drug stores so it is easy to buy. I like it much better than cold cream because cold cream is hard to wash off. Albolene comes off easily and leaves the skin so soft. Easy fragrance too. I will buy this one over and over.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by brnidgrl70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another oily-skinned reviewer surprised to be happily putting this stuff on my face. I've had oily skin & acne for 25 years. I decided to give this a shot after reading reviews. I currently use tazorac so I occasionally have flakies on top oiliness. This has helped both. I alternate nights between Albolene on its own, wiped off with a wet baby washcloth, and adding in washing after Albolene with Dove using my Clarisonic brush. Its working surprisingly well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Albolene has saved my skin! I'm experiencing my second winter in the mountains of Idaho (after Portland of all places) and my second has been even worse than my first. My skin has been so dry that it feels like someone pulled layers off of it. I was slathering on moisturizer several times a day and when face cream wasn't available, even slathering on aquaphor (!) and hand cream. I'd read a dermatologist raving about Albolene in Allure Magazine years ago but to me it always looked about as appealing as spreading Crisco on my face. However, since both cleansing oil and Cetaphil were leaving my skin feeling dry and overworked, I thought I'd give Albolene a go. I massage it onto my skin in the mornings (including my eyelid and lashes) and then soak a face towel in water as hot as I can make it and place the towel on my face for a little steam. After things have cooled down, I use the towel to wipe excess of my face and a cotton ball dipped in Almay's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover on my eyelid. Now I can actually skip moisturizer sometimes! And the constant itchy, irritated eyes I've had all winter have calmed down, too. (I can stop using expensive eye drops - yay!) I don't know how this works on eye makeup because I haven't been able to wear any makeup at all but as a winter cleanser and skin protectant, I'm sold. I can't BELIEVE it hasn't broken me out AT ALL! My skin just feels soothed and sort of plumped. Highly recommend.