December 21, 2014 | 1294 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Olive143

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference I'm filipino with long black hair. Been coloring it for years from light to dark and dark to light at both the salon and at home. Sticking closer to my roots now.

I've been going a tad lighter lately w/ the Colorsilk shades and now using Medium Brown number 41. See my other Colorsilk review. The other shades lower than this, after trying, didn't make much of a difference and my hair was still dark. However this color made a significant difference which I'm so happy with!

I used it all over with two boxes for my long hair a few months ago. Now I only use one box on my roots about every 8 weeks because of some pesky greys. It a nice, soft dark brown shade. On the website it's labeled N for neutral and has no red or gold tones to it. Also, preferred this because I was afraid that if I went any lighter, my hair would result in a red/orange tone which when black hair is dyed can usually occur. Also do not want the dreaded 'lighter roots' look, than the rest of my hair. I'm a bit anal when it comes to my hair. I felt this new shade may have been a little dark and still had that black color. However, when compared with my son's hair (natural, virgin black) and can see that it's not black at all but a soft dark brown!! Yaye!! Please don't mistaken this for a chocolate brown hair you see in the magazines though. It's not like that for asian hair, in my opinion. I've never achieved that with any box dye. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to apply the color. I then wait about 30-35 minutes for the product to settle. Once it dries a little on my hair, I take the remains from the bottle and spot check for any greys that I might of missed. Also, do not rinse with shampoo. I did that once and the color was removed. Just rinse well with water and apply the conditioner. I wouldn't go too light with box colors. I would leave that to the experts. I've went a little lighter and tried Colorsilk 51 Ash Brown which is lighter. I can tell a slight difference in natural light setting.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 8:35:00 PM More reviews by SaraSanDiego

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I mixed equal parts Revlon Color silk # 31 Dark Auburn & # 49 Auburn Brown...

And I love it!! Its the best auburn for my medium (leaning towards medium-light) complexion and green eyes...it's brown enough that it looks like a natural color but also red enough to stand out...

I'm not a fan of red reds or purple reds....I prefer medium auburn leaning towards copper as opposed to burgundy...which is what the end result with these two colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by cheeky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased 2 of these from CVS $6, I need 2 boxes because my hair is long. I bought the shade dark brown, and warm black i think it's called, and mixed them. i absolutely love the color, and got tons of compliments on my hair today. i love that this product has no ammonia, and it makes your hair super shiny. yes, it is hair dye and will dry your hair out, but after dying my hair i like to do overnight hair treatments every week or so. some nights i'll apply olive oil to dry hair, cover it with a shower cap, blast it with some hot air, and rinse it well in the morning. other days i use a deep conditioning protein masque (motion CPR critical protection and repair treatment conditioner), and rinse that off in the morning as well. i find that within a few weeks my hair loses that straw like feeling you get after dying it, and feels normal again.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by belle666

I purchased the light brown shade on sale for $5.99 in Canada. This is one of the least expensive hair colours on the market here along with Garnier Belle Color. The kit was just like any home haircolour kit, except the developer bottle was opague, making it difficult to know when the product was mixed thoroughly. There was also less product than most kits, I barely had enough to cover my shoulder-length hair (Those with hair any longer will need two boxes). The formula had a strong alcohol smell which made me worry that I was really drying out my hair. I did like the conditioner which had a lovely scent and made my hair feel smooth after rinsing. My hair was in better condition than after most hair colourings, I'm assuming that this is thanks to the ammonia-free formula. However, the colour went a little too dark (as many brands do) but doesn't seem to be fading much after over a week of washing. If I can get this to fade enough, I will try a shade slightly lighter than this if available. I really want to like this product because it was gentle on my hair and did not leave brassy tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by empresswu

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank you makeupalley for all the great reviews! Based upon everyone's comments I tried it and am very satisfied. The color survived an all day swim in the ocean at South Padre and now I'm going on 3 weeks of beautiful color.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by 02sunny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Been using this brand of haircolor for years and always had good luck up until recently. I purchsed 05 ultra light ash blonde. Box said new look.Well the color must have ben reformulated because it dried my hair out so badly it was breaking off when wet and I even lost some hair,which has never happened before. NO MORE COLORSILK FOR ME.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by SandraCarterr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This hair dye is horrible, dont ever buy it ! you legit get what you pay for.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by lealorraine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this a few years ago because of the price (less than $2) when I couldn't afford my regular brand of hair dye. All I can say is that I got exactly what I paid for. The packaging was okay, and the product doesn't smell bad at all. The issue I had was that my hair was felt like straw for months after using this. I've never really had a problem with any other hair dye product, not like I did with Revlon Colorsilk. The worst thing about using this was that I didn't really even save money by using it in the long run, since i ended up having to buy treatment products (which were more expensive than the dye itself) to help restore moisture to my hair because of how badly my hair was damaged. I'm glad this product works for some people, but it didn't for me at all. Since this mess, I've dyed my hair a few times, but I'll never use Colorsilk again, even if it is only $2

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:50:00 AM More reviews by yazmin77

i had very dark brown hair so i used this as i wanted to lighten my hair a little, i heard al the rave reviews that this lightens dark hair, anyhow i brought this in shade 80 light ash blonde and i left it on my hair for nearly a hour and it went to a nice honey copper brown, i only did my roots so i can match the rest of my hair, but it went to a beautiful colour, even tho it did not contain ammonia it did still leave my hair quite dry, but the conditioner that came with it left my hair silky and quite shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by haley30

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using Revlon Colorsilk for about 3 years now and it has never failed me until now. I had bought the Medium Blonde 74 at my local Walmart for less than $3. My hair is 2 toned; blonde on the bottom and brown on top. After dying my hair and rinsing the color it was not what I was wanting. Instead turning out like the shade chart on the back it was an ashy grey blonde color and looked horrible. I ended up dying my hair Medium Brown 41 all over. I recommend Revlon Colorsilk but I am hoping that the bottle I had was from a bad batch.