July 28, 2014 | 1905 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by CStarr5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I had been using L'Oreal hair color for a few years,which did work very good but,then they must have changed the formulation because the odor of it became unbearable.So,I decided to give my mom's brand of Revlon ColorSilk a try.I am so glad I did and have been using it ever since.It applies and covers beautifully,there is minimal to none odor and for the low price of about $4.00 you can't beat the quality.This is the only hair color that I have found that does not contain harsh ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by mothernature

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I haven't colored my hair for about five years. But I was getting bored with my light brown hair, so I decided to give colorsilk in Dark Ash Blonde a try. My hair came out soft and shiny. There was plenty in the box for my shoulder length extremely thick hair. I wish it would have come out a little bit lighter, but I really just wanted to tone down my brassy brown and cover a few stray grays. This color delivered what I wanted and it was less than three dollars. I've tried the more expensive drugstore brands and I think this is the best. I'm hoping it will lighten a bit when I wash my hair a few times, but I will definitely buy this again. Maybe I'll go one shade lighter if it doesn't fade out enough, but you can't beat the price and quality of this haircolor. Definitely a keeper for me!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by makeupgrl2008

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i am EXTREMELY disappointed in this product!!!
after reading all of the wonderful reviews here and getting a rec from my friend, i decided to give this a try since my hair had faded to a brassy/orangey color.
MY HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN SO DRY IN IT'S ENTIRE LIFE!!!
after rinsing out the dye, i actually thought someone had replaced my hair with straight up hay! it was so dry and so tangly, and i was very very very mad. The conditioner was also unimpressive, and smelled funny.
This has also been the only hair dye that has ever caused irritation on my scalp, and i have tried MANY different brands, but after such an atrocious experience, i think my exploring days might be over...
To sum everything up:
Pros:
-cheap
-covers grays very well (super happy, yay for stress-induced gray hair)

Cons:
-DESTROYS hair, not damages, DESTROYS
-color came out BLACK not dark brown (3N)
-messy
-irritation
-did i mention DRY HAIR!

i will absolutely not buy again. never.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by NiteOwlGrl2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this, because I was really low on money and there was a two for 6 bucks deal at walgreens. I got the shade 6A Dark Ash Blonde which is the closest I can get to my natural hair color. I used to get Colorsilk 4gm Medium Gold Mahogany Brown and 48 Burgundy when I was in highschool. Every color I have used turned out exactly like the box. ALTHOUGH I did take the color out of my hair before I dyed it the dark ash blonde. I'm always very pleased with how my hair color turns out using this brand. I have tried many different dyes even ones from sallys using different developers. Revlon is a good quick cheap fix if you absolutely HAVE to dye your hair yourself which I strongly advise not to do. In the end after a few years you will have to get your hair fixed professionally and most likely cut a lot off :-(.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Dannie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried ColorSilk for the first time last Saturday. My hair is naturally dark ash blonde and about 30% gray, cut short. It's in good condition with salon color of neutral medium blonde. Except for my top roots (touched up a couple of weeks ago with root touch), I had about an inch of virgin growth, so I need something that would do the job.
My sister uses Natural Instincts (something like natural neutral medium middle-of-the-road blonde) and it's beautiful, but I couldn't find the color at Walgreens. ColorSilk was right next to it and I like the price, plus the reviews here are pretty good. I grabbed #74, Medium Blonde.
Because my hair pulls warm even though it's very ashy, I followed the advice here and left it on longer than the directions suggest. I did 35 minutes on the roots and then another 10 all over.
The smell was strong (they all are) but bearable, and after conditioning my hair felt fantastic. BUT - although the color was "medium", it's definitely warm. It's actually a pretty color and very natural looking; I got compliments today at work. The problem? I don't WANT reddish hair, and I didn't want a strong enough change that anyone would notice.
Because of this, I probably won't buy the ColorSilk again unless I find a "neutral medium blond" or decide to try a different color. Otherwise, nice product, easy to use (not drippy) and it didn't burn my scalp like many others do. Very pretty color and a fantastic price at $4.50 full retail!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

After starting to go grey at 18, I have tried almost every hair color out there, and Colorsilk is always my favorite, go to product. I started using it exclusively a few years ago, it's even cheaper than those root touch up kits! I usually get it in a two box set for about $4. The colors have always been perfect - nothing orange or unexpected - and it really covers the grey well for quite a while. Doesn't seem damaging either, what more could you want?

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by shandwork

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review for Revlon Colorsilk in 70 Medium Ash Blonde. I used this shade and it was the perfect shade of medium ash blonde. No brassiness and very even. The next time I used it, it turned my roots an reddish dark blonde. Will not repurchase this shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by buurt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can pick this stuff up at walmart for 2.97 a box. I have used practically every hair coloring kit out there since I was 16 (thank you gray hair) I don't see any difference with the different brands. It covers my gray hair nicely and you can't beat the price! A lot of the time they have a 1$ off coupon so I can really get it dirt cheap. Others say the staying power is not great but I don't notice that. My hair grows really fast anyway so I'm usually redying it every 2 weeks :(. Another thing is after using this my hair is extreamly soft and shiny.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by aka235

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Avoid! Colorsilk must have been reformulated--this is schlock.

For a few months, Colorsilk worked nicely--decent staying power and a lovely color. On the last 3 tries, though, staying power has gone south.

On my last go-around, I thought maybe my hair had been too greasy before, so I shampooed my hair and didn't use any conditioner or styling products 24 hours before coloring. This left my hair the consistency of straw. You'd think if you dyed straw, and left it on for an hour for good measure, that straw would be irrevocably and permanently dyed. But no. Looked great for 24 hours until I shampooed. The dye washed off almost immediately, running down my face in muddy brown rivulets that mixed with my tears of anguish and despair. Also running down the drain: my money. No more, Colorsilk!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by aardvarkz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this as a cheaper alternative to Natural Instincts since they reformulated. However, I'm giving up on this dye. I've been using it since around August. I have naturally light ash brown hair that I've been coloring dark brown for around 6 years. Revlon Colorsilk (if it even makes a noticeable difference in my hair) washes out completely in the first week. I've used Dark Brown, Dark Auburn, Dark Brown mixed with Dark Auburn, Dark Reddish Brown (or something like that), and Dark Mahogany Brown. ALL of which faded to the same exact brassy light red brown within the first week, which is the exact opposite problem I had with Natural Instincts. I could not get that color OUT of my hair to save my life. I always had the most intense root line ever. ANYWAY I kept hoping that the color would stay since this is so freaking affordable. My hair's condition has also gotten worse since using this stuff - way more tangles and damage despite the fact that I never use heat on it; this dye is the only remotely damaging thing I use on my hair. Overall, it's an okay dye if you're in a pinch/want a subtle change/super broke/etc, but if you have other options I say forgo this.