October 23, 2014 | 1111 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by belle666

I purchased the light brown shade on sale for $5.99 in Canada. This is one of the least expensive hair colours on the market here along with Garnier Belle Color. The kit was just like any home haircolour kit, except the developer bottle was opague, making it difficult to know when the product was mixed thoroughly. There was also less product than most kits, I barely had enough to cover my shoulder-length hair (Those with hair any longer will need two boxes). The formula had a strong alcohol smell which made me worry that I was really drying out my hair. I did like the conditioner which had a lovely scent and made my hair feel smooth after rinsing. My hair was in better condition than after most hair colourings, I'm assuming that this is thanks to the ammonia-free formula. However, the colour went a little too dark (as many brands do) but doesn't seem to be fading much after over a week of washing. If I can get this to fade enough, I will try a shade slightly lighter than this if available. I really want to like this product because it was gentle on my hair and did not leave brassy tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by empresswu

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank you makeupalley for all the great reviews! Based upon everyone's comments I tried it and am very satisfied. The color survived an all day swim in the ocean at South Padre and now I'm going on 3 weeks of beautiful color.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by 02sunny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Been using this brand of haircolor for years and always had good luck up until recently. I purchsed 05 ultra light ash blonde. Box said new look.Well the color must have ben reformulated because it dried my hair out so badly it was breaking off when wet and I even lost some hair,which has never happened before. NO MORE COLORSILK FOR ME.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by SandraCarterr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This hair dye is horrible, dont ever buy it ! you legit get what you pay for.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by lealorraine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this a few years ago because of the price (less than $2) when I couldn't afford my regular brand of hair dye. All I can say is that I got exactly what I paid for. The packaging was okay, and the product doesn't smell bad at all. The issue I had was that my hair was felt like straw for months after using this. I've never really had a problem with any other hair dye product, not like I did with Revlon Colorsilk. The worst thing about using this was that I didn't really even save money by using it in the long run, since i ended up having to buy treatment products (which were more expensive than the dye itself) to help restore moisture to my hair because of how badly my hair was damaged. I'm glad this product works for some people, but it didn't for me at all. Since this mess, I've dyed my hair a few times, but I'll never use Colorsilk again, even if it is only $2

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:50:00 AM More reviews by yazmin77

i had very dark brown hair so i used this as i wanted to lighten my hair a little, i heard al the rave reviews that this lightens dark hair, anyhow i brought this in shade 80 light ash blonde and i left it on my hair for nearly a hour and it went to a nice honey copper brown, i only did my roots so i can match the rest of my hair, but it went to a beautiful colour, even tho it did not contain ammonia it did still leave my hair quite dry, but the conditioner that came with it left my hair silky and quite shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by haley30

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using Revlon Colorsilk for about 3 years now and it has never failed me until now. I had bought the Medium Blonde 74 at my local Walmart for less than $3. My hair is 2 toned; blonde on the bottom and brown on top. After dying my hair and rinsing the color it was not what I was wanting. Instead turning out like the shade chart on the back it was an ashy grey blonde color and looked horrible. I ended up dying my hair Medium Brown 41 all over. I recommend Revlon Colorsilk but I am hoping that the bottle I had was from a bad batch.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2012 11:59:00 AM More reviews by mainlinediva2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So far from this brand I've used Champagne blonde (d/c of course and it was a perfect shade) and Med. Ash Blonde which left me very brassy. I always found Revlon's Colorsilk to be very very drying, so I wasn't going out of my way to buy Revlon again this time around, honestly I was looking at other brands, but this seemed to be the lightest out of all the dark blonde options, so that's the only reason I picked this. My hair before coloring was like 4 different colors (blonde, dark blonde, dark roots with gray). Well, considering what my hair looked like before, my hair turned out awesome!! :). Did my whole head this time, left it on for 30 mins. and it came out a really pretty dark blonde (very close to the color on the model on box) with very little to no brass and no gray plus my hair is so soft!! Also, I love how this doesn't smell harsh like some of the other box dye's do, it's almost like a beachy smell. I'm very very happy with the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 9:40:00 AM More reviews by jababy3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use #27 Deep Rich Brown. Most of my grays are right in the crown of my head. My hair grows very fast so I have to touch up the roots once a month. I have never had a problem with this damaging my hair and as a matter of fact it is probably in the best shape it's ever been in and I have used this product for over 2 years now. The color does fade some which I don't mind because it almost looks like I have highlights in my hair. I love this stuff and I can't see spending so much more on more expensive dyes when this gives me just what I am looking for.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 3:43:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first time trying it, I've been a faithful user of Garnier Nutrisse for years.
I bought Colorsilk in the shade Sun Blonde, which I figured would be the equivalent of Chamomile in Nutrisse.
My hair is naturally light brown, and I don't use bleach, so I always look for colors able to lift my natural color on the roots to a light blonde...and this did it better than Nutrisse!
I only used it on my regrowth, so I cannot talk about how drying/non drying it is. But my roots came out a nice very light golden blonde (lighter than what I get with Nutrisse) and blended perfectly with the rest of my hair.
So color-wise, this is now my HG.
What I didn't like (and that's why I knocked off a lippie) is that it made my scalp HURT. I only had it on for 30 min as opposed to the 40 they advise, because I literally couldn't bare the pain. This is something I never got with Nutrisse. I didn't have any sores or anything after rinsing, so no big deal.
Another little plus is that it is about $2 cheaper than Nutrisse.
So all in all, I will stick with Colorsilk for now, and will probably buy an ashy shade this time.