Revlon Colorsilk

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/19/2013 9:12:00 PM

I used 04 Ultra Light Natural Blonde after picking it up from five bucks at a local drugstore(though I have seen it at Wal-Mart for three and four dollars).

Most of my hair is a dark brown with part of my bangs being a dark golden blonde from a bleach job three months ago. The box didn't show what my hair would look like after using as this is not meant to be used on darker hair.

I applied it to my hair, covered it with a cap, and left it on for 35 minutes. My hair is maybe an inch long in the back and to my chin in the front so there was an adequate amount for my hair.
After rinsing the dye, then the included packet of conditioner out, I applied Garnier's Moroccan Oil Treatment for extra conditioning since my hair did feel a little dry.

My bangs are a much lighter shade of blonde, quite close to what shows on the box, and the rest of my hair is a darker golden blonde with hints of strawberry blonde. There is no brassiness to my color and, though my hair didn't turn out as light as the box(I wasn't expecting to reach that blonde in one go, I assure you), I am very happy with the color and the condition of my hair. Yes, it is a tad dry but a few deep conditioners will fix that plus there was no fallout at all except for maybe two strands when I was brushing out my hair. I'm very happy with this color and I may use it again in a few weeks to get my hair even lighter.

on 1/7/2013 1:10:00 AM

I dye my hair almost always at home and by myself. I've tried a variety of dyes but when my drugstore was out of what I usually use I decided to look up reviews on what else is good. Thus I came to revlon colorsilk. After reading all the good reviews about it and noticing its cheap price, I couldn't pass it up! Unfortunately I was extremely disappointed with the results of the brown/black color. My ends turned out black while my light brown roots became darker, but were not covered up AT ALL. My roots are still showing, it just changed my hair into two different darker colors than before. Definitely won't buy this again!

on 1/3/2013 8:44:00 PM

I recently tried both the Luminista Red and Light Red hair dye. I have shoulder-length dark brown hair that's been dyed every 7-9 weeks to auburn/light or dark brown for the past few years. (The Colorsilk Auburn and Light Auburn are my favorite.)
The Red came out glowingly purple for about a day, then mellowed out to a medium red glow. The Light Red had more "red-orange" glow that lasted about a week. My scalp was red until the first wash a few days later. The reds appear to be much more high-maintenance and continues to drip pink water for about 4-6 washes. I try to limit washes to every 2-3 days the first two weeks after the new color goes in. After about 10-14 days, the reds became my usual "auburn" tone.
Since the red doesn't last very long on my dark hair, I may skip the Luminista line next time and continue hunting for the regular Auburn/Light Auburn dyes.

Overall, I like the kit - very easy to use. It doesn't drip and doesn't smell too terribly. The price is right -- generally under $3.50.
I have a tendency to leave the dye in for much longer than the instructions say to because my hair's darker and not bleached. For the reds, I believe I left it on for about 45 minutes.

on 12/27/2012 11:23:00 PM

I am pleasantly surprised. I removed a dark red brown with ion color corrector, then immediately colored with this product in color 56, true auburn.

I did add a few drops of no grey but other than that I didn't mess with the formula. I was worried I would end up with a pinky auburn, but it is that perfect auburn which is not quite orange, not quite brown not quite red or gold. It's just auburn. I'm psyched! Hair texture is good and not fried! I left the dish on a while, I guess that smoothed down the cuticle. No hot roots, a miracle.

on 12/2/2012 6:55:00 PM

I was light coppery-golden blonde for over a year and I was trying so hard to find a hair color that will neutralize the coppery shine. I bought this in shade 50 (light ash brown, I think) and it turned out slightly darker than the shade on the packaging, but I am very satisfied. I tried some other ammonia-free colors and they just weren't strong enough. I held it for about 25 min and I can say it has great coverage and my hair isn't dried out at all!

You get everything you need inside the box, but I would recommend using a brush, too. It helps to spread out the mixture evenly.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use this brand almost every time I dye my hair, and when I don't, it's cause their sold out in the color that I want. It lasts long with out fading, doesn't stink to bad, the color comes out even, and it leaves my hair feeling soft and silky. There's also a lot of dye in just one box. I usually need 2 boxes when I dye my hair cause my hair is so long and thick, but I only need one with this. So it saves me money. It's really cheap too. I get it at walmart for $4 but it goes on sale a lot for $3.

on 11/19/2012 7:08:00 PM

Colorsilk simply does not possess the "permanent" quality. At least not for me. I used two bottles of Colorsilk just to ensure that the color will stay. But after only two weeks the color substantially faded away. When washing the dye away, there was so much color that washed out and it was a never ending dripping of hair dye through the drain. It took me about 20 minutes or more just to wash enough of the color out so it doesn't stain the towel. It has a very drying formula and the color results are rather flat and dull. I would recommend this for someone who doesn't mind a drying formula and need a color lift for a couple weeks. The deep conditioner is decent and a must need after dyeing your hair if your hair tends to be dry. The results are definitely what you get at such an inexpensive price point.

on 11/18/2012 2:41:00 PM

Ok... So... Well.... I really can not explain how upset I am with this hair dye. I've ALWAYS done my hair myself and 9/10 it turns out great and the remainder it's tolerable and/or fixable. I have really short hair; growing out a pixie cut, and before I dyed it it was a very light red with a good two inches of roots because I am returning to my natural color. I spent a long time online looking for a good solid brand to buy the box dye to help me do so an I heard Colorsilk would be perfect and the shade Medium Golden Brown was practically congruent to my natural color. WRONG! I dyed it last night and it was so dark, so so soooo dark. And it was very one dimensional, every highlight and lowlight I've had just became one ugly shade of very dark brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was 1 for cheap price and 1 for leaving my hair very soft and shiny. Now...
I let it dry but all I noticed was that overall it had a very ugly dark auburn effect, I thought it might be because my hair had been red before but it was nothing like that, even my roots had the red tinge. UGH! I put some melted coconut oil in it (2 tbsp worth) and wrapped it in saran wrap and went to bed. Woke up barely any difference, my hair was healthy as virgin hair but still an ugly dark color. So of course I showered, shampooed, conditioned, and once again barely any difference.

on 11/5/2012 8:29:00 PM

Please make sure your hair is in fair condition before using any hair dye! This product will make your hair feel a bit dry, but the conditioner restores the oils in your hair :) My first experience w/ this brand was in April of 2012. I used Ultra Light Natural Blonde #04 on my virgin black hair to give some golden brownish highlights.(I didn't want to use bleach) The color came out nice, and the hair dye did not smell too strong. It's been more than 6 months now, and the color still shows! (The roots grew out, of course) I guess this is because I've been using the sulfate free shampoo from Loreal. But I am considering buying another box to dye my whole hair this time. The price value is absolutely cheap- $3 at my local Target! You can see the results on my youtube channel @anotherpunker

I use this in #41, Medium Brown. I am a natural brunette with some grey to cover and my hair is very fine and thin. I was using Natural Instincts, but got tired of how quickly it was washing out...I liked that it was semiperm and less damaging, but sick of coloring so often, plus I'm cheap and so is Colorsilk, so I wanted to give it a try. I LOVE IT. #41 is a gorgeous shade of brown, not too dark, not too red...it's perfect. It gets rid of all my greys and doesn't wreck my hair or make it dry.

Video Reviews & Tutorials