September 18, 2014 | 859 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by haley30

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using Revlon Colorsilk for about 3 years now and it has never failed me until now. I had bought the Medium Blonde 74 at my local Walmart for less than $3. My hair is 2 toned; blonde on the bottom and brown on top. After dying my hair and rinsing the color it was not what I was wanting. Instead turning out like the shade chart on the back it was an ashy grey blonde color and looked horrible. I ended up dying my hair Medium Brown 41 all over. I recommend Revlon Colorsilk but I am hoping that the bottle I had was from a bad batch.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2012 11:59:00 AM More reviews by mainlinediva2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So far from this brand I've used Champagne blonde (d/c of course and it was a perfect shade) and Med. Ash Blonde which left me very brassy. I always found Revlon's Colorsilk to be very very drying, so I wasn't going out of my way to buy Revlon again this time around, honestly I was looking at other brands, but this seemed to be the lightest out of all the dark blonde options, so that's the only reason I picked this. My hair before coloring was like 4 different colors (blonde, dark blonde, dark roots with gray). Well, considering what my hair looked like before, my hair turned out awesome!! :). Did my whole head this time, left it on for 30 mins. and it came out a really pretty dark blonde (very close to the color on the model on box) with very little to no brass and no gray plus my hair is so soft!! Also, I love how this doesn't smell harsh like some of the other box dye's do, it's almost like a beachy smell. I'm very very happy with the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 9:40:00 AM More reviews by jababy3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use #27 Deep Rich Brown. Most of my grays are right in the crown of my head. My hair grows very fast so I have to touch up the roots once a month. I have never had a problem with this damaging my hair and as a matter of fact it is probably in the best shape it's ever been in and I have used this product for over 2 years now. The color does fade some which I don't mind because it almost looks like I have highlights in my hair. I love this stuff and I can't see spending so much more on more expensive dyes when this gives me just what I am looking for.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 3:43:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first time trying it, I've been a faithful user of Garnier Nutrisse for years.
I bought Colorsilk in the shade Sun Blonde, which I figured would be the equivalent of Chamomile in Nutrisse.
My hair is naturally light brown, and I don't use bleach, so I always look for colors able to lift my natural color on the roots to a light blonde...and this did it better than Nutrisse!
I only used it on my regrowth, so I cannot talk about how drying/non drying it is. But my roots came out a nice very light golden blonde (lighter than what I get with Nutrisse) and blended perfectly with the rest of my hair.
So color-wise, this is now my HG.
What I didn't like (and that's why I knocked off a lippie) is that it made my scalp HURT. I only had it on for 30 min as opposed to the 40 they advise, because I literally couldn't bare the pain. This is something I never got with Nutrisse. I didn't have any sores or anything after rinsing, so no big deal.
Another little plus is that it is about $2 cheaper than Nutrisse.
So all in all, I will stick with Colorsilk for now, and will probably buy an ashy shade this time.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 10:37:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

This didn't work out for me as it did for many others. I get that there's a lot of appeal for Colorsilk. It's VERY inexpensive, fairly easy to use, and has a lot of colors especially for a drugstore brand. Unfortunately, every color I tried faded within one week after coloring. But it DID make my hair feel like silk with the conditioner. Bummer :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by erinelaine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been almost a year total since I last colored my grays due to pregnancy (I know they say its safe with modern formulations but I'm not vain enough to take the risk!), and I was thrilled to pick up my three-dollar favorite. Yes, it can fade a little, but even salon color can fade, especially reds, and for 2.97 I can afford to touch up every four weeks. Plenty of color for my long hair, not drippy, smell is bearable....what's not to love?

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by CStarr5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I had been using L'Oreal hair color for a few years,which did work very good but,then they must have changed the formulation because the odor of it became unbearable.So,I decided to give my mom's brand of Revlon ColorSilk a try.I am so glad I did and have been using it ever since.It applies and covers beautifully,there is minimal to none odor and for the low price of about $4.00 you can't beat the quality.This is the only hair color that I have found that does not contain harsh ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by mothernature

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I haven't colored my hair for about five years. But I was getting bored with my light brown hair, so I decided to give colorsilk in Dark Ash Blonde a try. My hair came out soft and shiny. There was plenty in the box for my shoulder length extremely thick hair. I wish it would have come out a little bit lighter, but I really just wanted to tone down my brassy brown and cover a few stray grays. This color delivered what I wanted and it was less than three dollars. I've tried the more expensive drugstore brands and I think this is the best. I'm hoping it will lighten a bit when I wash my hair a few times, but I will definitely buy this again. Maybe I'll go one shade lighter if it doesn't fade out enough, but you can't beat the price and quality of this haircolor. Definitely a keeper for me!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by makeupgrl2008

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i am EXTREMELY disappointed in this product!!!
after reading all of the wonderful reviews here and getting a rec from my friend, i decided to give this a try since my hair had faded to a brassy/orangey color.
MY HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN SO DRY IN IT'S ENTIRE LIFE!!!
after rinsing out the dye, i actually thought someone had replaced my hair with straight up hay! it was so dry and so tangly, and i was very very very mad. The conditioner was also unimpressive, and smelled funny.
This has also been the only hair dye that has ever caused irritation on my scalp, and i have tried MANY different brands, but after such an atrocious experience, i think my exploring days might be over...
To sum everything up:
Pros:
-cheap
-covers grays very well (super happy, yay for stress-induced gray hair)

Cons:
-DESTROYS hair, not damages, DESTROYS
-color came out BLACK not dark brown (3N)
-messy
-irritation
-did i mention DRY HAIR!

i will absolutely not buy again. never.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by NiteOwlGrl2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this, because I was really low on money and there was a two for 6 bucks deal at walgreens. I got the shade 6A Dark Ash Blonde which is the closest I can get to my natural hair color. I used to get Colorsilk 4gm Medium Gold Mahogany Brown and 48 Burgundy when I was in highschool. Every color I have used turned out exactly like the box. ALTHOUGH I did take the color out of my hair before I dyed it the dark ash blonde. I'm always very pleased with how my hair color turns out using this brand. I have tried many different dyes even ones from sallys using different developers. Revlon is a good quick cheap fix if you absolutely HAVE to dye your hair yourself which I strongly advise not to do. In the end after a few years you will have to get your hair fixed professionally and most likely cut a lot off :-(.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No