Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

3.5

Lauroyl Lysine, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Soil Minerals, Silica, Mica, Calcium Silicate (+/-): Zinc Oxide (CI77947), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499)

on 7/7/2011 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used BE from the time it came out, so I used it for many years. They had to have changed the formula at some point or something because for a while it was HG status and I got compliments on my skin with this on all the time. You couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup. It always made my skin look flawless. Then at some point I realized how subpar of a product it was. The staying powder is awful. It emphasizes pores, and has this unattractive, fake, shiny finish to it. It's just an overall crappy product. I actually have skin that's on the drier side and my skin got really oily with this on for some reason. I never had that problem with any other foundation because I don't have oily skin! I have tried mineral makeup from so many different brand and Alima is by far the best I have tried so I use that now. Like I said, they had to have changed the formula or something because it's strange how that happened with my experience of BE.

on 6/30/2011 4:49:00 PM

I use this product as a spot concealer and it works VERY well for this purpose. I don't care for it as an all-over foundation as I find that I need too much product to achieve the coverage I like. It is excellent as a concealer though! It is the PERFECT color for my skin-tone. I will buy this product again. (Love the concealer brush that comes with the Bare Escentuals starter kit. Works great!) Not a fan of the packaging as it can be messy, but that's the nature of mineral make-up and I'm not sure how that can be improved upon.

on 6/20/2011 1:53:00 AM

This was just dreadful on me when I tried it. While it does have good coverage and tends to have really good staying power, it also flaked on the skin around my nose and it severely irritated my skin! It seemed okay at first and then gradually after wearing it for a couple weeks I noticed my skin getting tighter and drier and breaking out in small inflamed pimples all over, but mostly around my nose and cheeks. Yikes! I stopped using it and my skin cleared almost immediately, it was very striking. I'm sure it was the bismuth oxychloride and now I avoid that like the plague.

Although I will add that my sister uses it and it seems to have improved her skin, and her complexion always looks flawless. I actually commented to her recently about how beautiful her skin was looking and she told me it was because of this! Go figure.

So, in summary, I would suggest trying it if you have skin that isn't too dry (because this seems drying) or very sensitive, and be careful about the bismuth. In fact, I would suggest trying a sample (if you can- Sephora is usually generous with samples so you could probably ask for one there) and seeing how you react to it after a week or so. If you do develop irritation at some point, maybe stop using it for a time to see if its this.

on 6/12/2011 11:47:00 AM

after reading so much about bare minerals i decided i would go to the shop and try it...i really wish i didnt!i normally have combination to oily skin, this instantly dired my skin out and left me with dry flaking skin all around my face!couldnt of been more disappointed!i also find the shade range awful!not one matched my skin tone,they all looked to orangey!im normally nw15/nw20 and tried shade fairly light,i found it also it also made all my pores look bigger and made my face itch like crazy.alot of people say its because it contains bismuth oxychloride but many make up products contain this and i have never experienced this before. over all im very disappointed with this product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Covers acne well and the finish of this product is beautiful.This is your concealer and foundation in one, which is awesome. The reason I don't repurchase this is because it gave me cystic acne. It is so messy and a pain to travel with.

on 5/28/2011 2:03:00 PM

I REALLY like this product!!! I have the matte formula, I have fairly clear skin but I have a lot of acne scarring from when I was younger along my cheeks especially. This product does a really nice job of covering it! The case is very clever because it locks up so you don't have to worry about a lot of product falling out when you take it somewhere. However the price is steep considering the small amount you get, but it is an excellent product.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I absolutely love this foundation. It's not for everyone, I guess it depends on your skin type, but it really works for me. Its very easy to apply, you get a brush with the foundation (or I did anyway) and it provides pretty good coverage. I have freckles so it's good because it covers blemishes without covering them up.
It is expensive for what you get and it's not as long lasting as some other foundations, but it's worth it. I would advise you to get a free sample first though.

on 5/23/2011 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried this make-up because I wanted something light to give me a glow and look very natural. I love it. It's so easy to apply and matches my skin perfectly. I have sensitive skin and this does not irritate it at all. It gives me a light to medium coverage and makes my skin look fresh and healthy. Even on dry skin it goes on easily and looks natural. I was looking for something natural and easy. This is it. The only down side is the sifter lid that tends to jam up if you let too much powder get underneath. It's nothing to make me hate this product though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this makeup!! I've been on the makeup search for years and can finally say I found my HG!! It blends really nicely and gives you really great coverage without looking cakey and yuck! And it didn't irritate my skin (which is a huge deal!!) I bought this because my sister highly recommended it!! Now I most definitely recommend it!! WONDER MAKEUP!!

on 5/2/2011 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

WOW! I had heard of mineral powders/make up but just thought that, regardless of the claims, they would dry out my skin and sink into my fine lines making me look both much older and fake (which any kind of loose powder has done before). Not the case!

Sephora Dubai has been selling the bare Minerals starter sets for ages now and whilst I was always tempted I resisted just thinking it would be (more!) money down the drain in the quest for that 'dewy glowy' look which I barely remember from my 20s.. 8-) Today I went in looking for the Nars Laguna bronzer but was unsuccessful as they no longer stock it there... so anxious to buy SOMETHING I thought I would finally go for it! Am I glad I did?!!!

I watched the DVD accompanying the starter set but was still convinced I had wasted my money... not so! I followed the instructions exactly (the video is actually really good, very simple and easy to apply the steps) and in literally around 8 mins I have an incredibly natural looking glow with a 'no make up' just 'good skin' look!! I can't quite believe it. I did use a tad bit of Urban Decay in Greedy as I like to enhance that 'just in from the cold' look (it suits my blonde hair/complexion) and, of course, the usual mascara/lippie/shadow. I am very happy with the results and don't feel like I have any make up on at all - just a healthy all over glow. I applied it around 7 hours ago and even after a little nap .. foolish not to!... it still looks great! BTW, I applied Bobbi Braown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base first and then blotted but not sure you are supposed to use anything but a primer under this makeup.... perhaps that is why my skin does not feel dry at all as other reviewers have mentioned.

Yes the whole process is a bit messy and not very convenient when you have to carry around so many pots and brushes but I would definitely say the results are worth it and as even a first timer completed the process in under 10 mins I guess with practice you could complete it even faster and less mess... let's see how I do tomorrow.

Conclusion : A definite must buy for those with less than perfect skin!