April 20, 2014 | 1331 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Naturals - Purifying Facial Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by RingofFire

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So far liking this very much, but I think it will be more of my fall/winter cleanser. Its very gentle and does not leave my face red or tight. I have combination skin that gets very oily in the t-zone during the summer plus have mild roseacea that shows mostly in hot weather or very drying products. I do not wear a lot of foundation anymore so this cleans pretty well with no noticeable residue or itchiness. Will update later if I notice breakouts, but so far its been a week and my skin is very smooth.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by MorganD

Every month when I get my period I break out slightly. So this month for some reason I decided to try and prevent the two or three small zits I get from my period. I picked this up and honestly it made my skin feel nice and smooth after the first use. With two or three days it exacerbated my small zits. I ended up with zits all over my forehead and a large seemingly cystic zit on my cheek. I switched back to my usual cleanser (Purpose) and my skin is clearing back up. I don't seem to be allergic to any ingredients listed on the back so I have no idea what happened. If you read a few other reviews this happened to a some other ladies ... so if you venture to try this product out I suggest not doing so before a major event.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2012 4:20:00 PM More reviews by Annakoschka

I have never had much luck with any salicylic products and stuck to benzoyl products instead for my mild acne, but the fact that there were very few unrecognizable crazy chemicals on the list of ingredients in this one kind of sucked me in, because I think some of chemicals mixed into the regular washes I have tried have been real pore cloggers.

While the Neutrogena cleanser hasn't TOTALLY cleared up my acne over the 3 months I've used it, it has improved somewhat and I don't get as oily between washings when I use it on a regular basis. Also my skin feels very fresh after being washed, and it seems calmer than after benzoyl cleansers.

Definitely agree with someone who said you can't take the bottle anywhere. I put it in a baggie when I went on a cruise, and even though I sealed the baggie airtight, the stuff STILL managed to sneak out of it and into my suitcase.

To the people experiencing redness and reaction, I would say this: are you leaving the cleanser on and massaging it into your skin for longer than 20 seconds? DON'T.

I apply enough of the cleanser to cover my face, then immediately rinse it off with a washcloth or my hands. If I even take the time to brush my teeth for a minute after applying the cleanser, it definitely turns my face red and my skin burns and tingles. I don't think it was meant to sit on skin for ANY length of time. If I just swipe it on and rinse it off, it seems to be much more effective and much less irritating! I will continue to use it because of how calm it makes my skin when used properly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by LuthienTinuviel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Yikes! I've never suffered with skin sensitivities but this stuff gave me an immediate, very negative reaction the very first time I used it. As I was cleansing, I noticed a burning sensation and so I rinsed the product off. For the next hour or so, my face was an angry, irritated red. It truly looked like I had a bad base of rosacea! Plus, it felt terribly dried out. Thankfully, I seem to have suffered no long-term ill-effects. Back to CVS it goes! Guess so-called natural doesn't mean gentle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 12:54:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There are 3 variaties of this cleanser: the soap, purifying cleansing and fresh cleansing+makeup remover. This last one (Fresh Cleansing+Makeup Remover) is the one I am reviewing here. I like it for the money as it does NOT contain any sulphates or parabens as it's more natural in it's ingredients. It contains Peruvian Tara Seed which helps to calm and soften the skin. It lathers well and rinses very quickly with 3 or 4 splashes of water. It can be used to remove eyemakeup and waterproof mascaras and transfer resistant foundations and lipsticks so it's very efficient. You need the smallest amount (half a pump, if that) so a little goes a long way and you will not have to repurchase for a long time. What more can you ask for? It's around 6 bucks in Walmart.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by qkellie

I think I may have found my HG cleanser. I have combination, acne-prone, slightly wrinkle-prone skin. Recently, I was starting to have lots of cystic break-outs, which led to using so much benzoyl peroxide treatment that my skin was starting to get crazy dry. Up to that point, I'd been using Neutrogena Acne Wash in the Pink Grapefruit version. Normally, I use the non-grapefruit regular version, and I swear the PG variation was the culprit. I had gotten a Groupon deal for the Purifying Facial Cleanser, so when I ran out of the PG Acne Wash, I tried this. I had used the Naturals make-up removing cleanser before and didn't like it one bit, so the Purifying version was an absolute revelation! My cystic blemishes--less than a week later--are GONE. Red marks from old blemishes are fading. Small pimples are drying up with almost no benzoyl peroxide treatment (I'm down to now using just a very thin layer of that every few nights rather than the massive amounts I was using every single night). I am convinced there is something magical about the white willow bark. This stuff is AMAZING.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Nelley

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this ONLY because I couldn't find the Neutrogena Naturals Face & Body Bar (I HIGHLY recommend the bar, I would rate that a 4.5 out of 5) which is so much BETTER than the Purifying Cleanser. I had used up the whole bar to a slither and was on the hunt for a replacement, couldn't find it anywhere all they had was this. I figured since it was the same line that this would just be the liquid form of the bar, but it's far from it.

The good:
-It seemed to do a good job of removing the dirt and makeup
-It's made without any sulfates, parabens, petrochemicals, dyes, and phthalates

The bad:
-It stung my face every time I used it. My skin isn't super sensitive and I haven't used a product in a while that has irritated my skin like this.
-The packaging is very cheap, the pump never worked at all for me.
-The fragrance. The fragrance smells nice and fresh but I prefer my products to be fragrance-free since a lot of the chemicals they use for these fragrances are known irritants. Also, in my opinion any ingredient that doesn't add to the effectiveness of the product should be left out.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 2:05:00 AM More reviews by volshorn08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this product in an effort to switch to a foaming cleanser with the warmer weather. I have used it a week, only at night after removing makeup. I should've stopped using it after the first couple of nights when it kinda made my skin sting a little. But no. When I started using this, I had a couple (two) of small cystic pimples starting under the skin on my chin. It happens sometimes. My normal cleanser (also Neutrogena) and some other care would have prevented them from coming up at all. Since I was using this instead, they not only came up, it was a cluster of huge ones. Not only that, they wouldn't go down and kept getting bigger, never coming to a head. Only boiling and hurting sooo much underneath. AND there were small pimples forming where I had never ever had a spot. I can only attribute it to this cleanser. I have been using the rest of my routine for almost a year and never had an issue. I have used my other cleanser and normal routine the past couple of days and the cysts are clearing quickly. Other than that: the texture was nice, rinsed cleanly, and the scent was tolerable. The ingredient list looked fine to me and I'm not prone to such things. So use at your own risk.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by TruffulaTree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this cleanser for taking off make-up. It's very gentle and doesn't irritate my skin. In addition, I have to massage my eyelids every morning because of an annoying gland dysfunction, and I like to use my cleanser to do this in the shower so that I don't pull at the skin around my eyes. This one does the trick - it doesn't sting my eyes at all and it's a good way to remove oil from my night cream and freshen my skin in the mornings. It has a lovely mild scent. I like the Purifying Facial Wash almost as much as the Earth Science Clarifying Facial Wash, which I adore, but which my local health food store always seems to be out of, and it's a great price. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 2:21:00 AM More reviews by rainy1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really surprised to see the poor reviews. This cleanser removes all of my makeup. It does not dry out my skin. It does not leave behind residue - so no blackheads or bumps. I have oily/combination skin that is over 40.

I recently began using this product with my Olay brush and it is a winning combination for me.