April 16, 2014 | 1578 users online

Mascara - Almay - Get Up and Grow

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2012 3:50:00 AM More reviews by st3f4n42srb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Generally, I quite like this mascara. I like the packaging & the wand is perfect. I also like the way it separates my lashes. There is no clumping at all! Basically, it makes my lashes fan out very nicely. I'm not sure whether or not it has lengthening properties, as my lashes are already long, but it can give you volume if you build it up.

What I don't like about this mascara however, is that it smudges! It doesn't smudge a lot, but whenever I wear this, I come home and see a smudge under one of my eyes. This mascara also takes days to remove, but then so does every other mascara I've tried...

All in all, I really like the look this mascara gives, but I can't wear something that's going to smudge! I really wish it didn't! *sad face*

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2012 9:33:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Emily Noel has never let me down. I love & appreciate all of her recommendations. Being a collector of mascaras & frequent lash wearer on HDTV she convinced me in a heartbeat to try this one and I must say she's right on about the LENGTHHHH and volume this mascara offers. Its the closest thing I have applied that make my lashes look like falsies, it curls & defines EACH lash, the tiny baby hairs on the inner eye that you didn't know existed as well as the ten extra strands on the outer tip of the eye that you never noticed before. I love the shape of this brush & how I'll be coating the mid eye (pupil) area and everything around it just FLARES out and this is what gives the un-intentional volume that your not even expecting. I'm simply amazed by it. But ofcourse there's a reality check, something that doesn't fit the bill right-the FORMULA. Its sooo dryingg I literally notice tiny BEADS of clumps as I extend the brush from the root to the tip, even before I attempt a second coat. As other Almay mascaras (one coat thickening) it dries INSTANTLY not giving you a chance to perfect the masterpiece. But I haven't given up, I'm convinced I picked up an old tube or didn't close it completely or something because Emily would have picked up on the defect and warned me...so I'l just have to repurchase another one and report back!

And yes its worth the experimentation.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2012 1:09:00 PM More reviews by kbabyd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I want to like this more than I do, but ultimately, it just doesn't work for me. A couple of stand-out details: the black is *really* black, and Almay doesn't animal test. But this formula does flake on me throughout the day which is the deal-breaker.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2012 4:44:00 AM More reviews by vintagy

I really wanted to like this product! I tried it on a friend's recommendation. I'm Asian and I have very straight lashes, so I need mascaras that will keep the curl up. My friend has similar lashes to mine and loved my HG mascaras as well (CG Lashblast and Maybelline Falsies), so I thought it would work for me as well.
Boy I was mistaken. I was impressed with the sturdy, luxurious packaging, but when I actually curled my lashes and tried it out, it barely did anything for my lashes. It looked like I didn't even have mascara on, and then my lashes lost its curl right away. To put it simply, I will not be repurchasing this and I haven't used it since. If you have naturally curly lashes, this may work well for a natural look but sadly it didn't work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by carmenw14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Holy grail mascara for me! I have naturally long lashes and I love the big brush on this wand. The formula isnt wet or sticky, it's not exceptionally hard when it dries, and it doesnt smudge all over the rest of my eye makeup as the day goes on. I believe this was in the $7-8 range and can be found at most drugstores/Walmart/Target. I tell all my female relatives and friends to give this one a try. I like the look of the packaging down to the quality of the product inside. After constantly buying various $20 mascaras from Sephora (Benefit, Christian Dior, blah blah blah), I no longer have to search for a perfect mascara, this one is fabulous.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 3:02:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this mascara in a free sample pack of full-sized Almay products. I've never tried Almay before and doubt I would have bought this (I tend to stick to more natural eco-conscious products like Tarte etc.). Overall, this is an "ok" mascara. The formula is a bit on the drier side, which I like. It allows for easy layering and build-up. I find the brush/wand easy to work with.
Pros:
- good consistency
- no clumping (even with 3 coats)
- very rich black color
- lengthens and thickens decently
Cons:
- extremely hard to remove
- smudges and flakes
- seems "heavy" and doesn't hold a curl
I won't be buying this or replacing my usual mascara for this one.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Xaephan

I've never used an Almay mascara before, and I found this on sale for 5 bucks and it came with 15 makeup pads. I'm really glad I tried this! The brush is awesome (big and bristly and does a great job of separating my lashes), the formula is on the dry side, something I prefer, and the colour is nice and black. Its staying power could be better, but I don't notice a ton of smudges at the end of the day, unless I've been heavily sweating. Not comparable to Lash Blast in the staying power department, however.

Edit: took off another lippie because I've noticed more and more smudging. Disappointing because I love every other aspect of this mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This mascara is amazing. It's replaced Maybelline Full n Soft for me, which used to be my go-to for full feathery lashes. If you don't see results in the first coat, just wait for it to dry a little and the volume and length will build quickly. This gives me clean/clump free lashes, and they're so soft. Not dry or brittle! I'd say it's not for short and fine lashes that are straight, but for those with medium to full lashes, it will give stellar results. I wish I had bought this months ago instead of sticking with Loreal and Maybelline. Update: I had to knock this down a lippie because it has started to smudge and transfer onto my lids. Perhaps it's too moisturizing of a formula. It's not exactly wet, but not dry either. It's hard to get off of my lashes, and there is a lot of residue.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by loriann52

It kills me how absolutely awful this mascara is. I love the brush on it so much! It makes my lashes look great, no clumps, reaches all my lashes. It is a big bristly brush (not one of those plastic ones).
The reason I gave it such a low rating is because it smudges worse than any mascara I've ever tried. I put it on before going to the movies last night, came home three hours later, and it had smudged all over my eyes. (And I wasn't crying or anything). It has absolutely no lasting power, and I won't walk around with raccoon eyes. Such a disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by nicolemarion

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My HG mascara! It's at a good price, and it does just what I want to my lashes. If I wipe the wand off before applying, it gives a very, very natural effect, which can be nice. If you leave all the product on, with one coat, lashes are defined and lengthened. (No clumping for me! I feel like each and every lash is coated separately. It's really great.) With two coats, things get a bit clumpier, but lashes are definitely longer looking! I wouldn't go over two coats, though. Definitely not pretty.

All in all, I can count on this mascara to give me exactly the look I want, no matter what that look is. Highly recommended.