September 19, 2014 | 1582 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2012 12:37:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Heavenly moisturization . Wonderfully mild on my very sensitive skin. I can't believe this did not break me out. I mean, it's an oil. But I tried it based on MUA'ers advice who were even recommending it to those with acne in some kind of prewash ritual. I have very easily clogged combination skin, so I can't believe this doesn't clog my pores at all. I've used it for months and even did the one side with and one side without test for a month. It's very soothing and smoothing. It's great for removing waterproof mascara because it doesn't leave my eye skin too greasy or bother my sensitive eyes.

CONS: I usually try to find at least one con, but I couldn't.

APPLICATION TIPS: I use this before or even instead of moisturizing cream at night. ****I've started to use this on dry skin before I cleanse. I put it on and then add water and then cleanser. Helps to keep my cleansing much gentler on my skin. (Also makes makeup removal a breeze.) I have now even started using this to remove waterproof mascara, and it doesn't bother my eyes at all and doesn't leave the eye skin too greasy either. I also like to add a few drops to my bath.

PURCHASING TIPS: I buy this cheap at places like vitacost.com or luckyvitamin.com. My favorite is the organic version of this from Desert Essence. There is an organic version and nonorganic (regular) version.

ALTERNATES: I love grape seed oil as well, because it's also a lighter oil (and it's even cheaper than this - buy in grocery area.).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Kaylahenery

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Saved my skin! I have suffered from adult acne for going on 3 years now and was desperate for anything to work. I have tried numerous BHA, AHA, Retinol, etc products with none giving me the results I needed. I reluctantly gave into trying the Oil Cleansing Method with Jojoba Oil (closest match to skins natural sebum) and will never look back. It is an amazing makeup remover (even waterproof mascara) and goes deep into the pores to really clean them out. I noticed a 75% improvement in my skin within the first week! I will never again use the harsh chemicals to strip oils from my face as I believe I was doing more damage than good. My nightly routine now consists of:

1. Apply dime size amount of pure jojoba oil to dry face (make-up and all) and thouroughly massage in
2. Use baby wash cloth to wipe away all oil and product
3. Sometimes I'll use Cerave Hydrating cleanser after
4. Apply Neutrogena Naturals Moisturizer with a few drops of Jojoba oil to hydrate

This routine has given me back my beautiful glowing non-acne skin! Now if I can find a way to banish all these pesky red scars from former breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Mikeswife

This is a new addition to my HG product list.

I suffered from adult-onset acne in my early 20s and while it's gone now, I have since been super cautious about trying new products on my skin. My normal routine for the past few years has been Pond's Dry skin cream in the morning (which is fairly thick, inexpensive, and moisturizing but does not irritate or break out my skin at all). At night, I use Ponds Cold cream with a makeup cleansing cloth, followed by Mario Badescu eye cream and night cream.

While the night routine was working fine, and my skin was pretty hydrated upon waking, I also have to shower every a.m., and during the last few months (even in the summer) I was noticing that my chin and around my nose were starting to look a bit flakey by midday. I first tried to combat this by doing a double application of my morning moisturizer (once right after showering, and then again before applying my makeup), but this didn't seem to be working. I read and researched moisturizers out the wazoo on MUA, but was really hesitant to jump to a high-end moisturizer that would cost a ton of money (in a tiny jar) that would not combat the dryness issue, or worse, inflame or irritate my skin.

I read about jojoba oil on here, saw the price on Amazon and figured for $6 it was worth a shot, even despite my nagging reservations about new products contributing to skin irritation or acne flareups. And while it may seem counterintuitive to add oil to skin that had fairly severe acne problems in the past, I can honestly say that after a month of using this, I don't think I could ever again go without it.

I pat on a few drops of this on my chin, around my nose and under my eyes after I get out of the shower and give it a few minutes to completely absorb, then do my regular moisturizer, then makeup. I have had zero issues with flakiness or dry-looking skin since beginning to use this product. At night, I still use cold cream to take off all of my makeup, but then a use a few more drops of this all over my face and eyes before I go to bed. I feel like my skin is glowing when I wake up in the mornings; it doesn't feel greasy or slick at all.

My only complaint (if there is such a thing, I truly am so happy to have found this stuff) is that I think the bottle design would be a bit better if it had a dropper-style top, as the squeeze top can drip a little.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Zeroduck

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have very dry skin and one acne every month. Start using Jojoba Oil last week. I add 3 drops into my night cream and I feel very moisturizers in the morning when I wake up! I recommended to give it a try, if you found too oily than you can use it on your hair or body!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2012 6:45:00 AM More reviews by kelkelkel87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I saw many good reviews about this and decided to give it a try but Im not sure if this product actually works.

Im using it as a moisturizer for face and for my back and i have to say it is OILY. As it is so oily, i do not know whether it has good absorbance or not. I see many reviews here it is not oily and absorb fasts but it is really oily to me!

After 1 week: Face acne did not improve much with a few new ones coming out. For back, it seems to be doing fine as there are no new break outs at all at the moment.

After 3 weeks: Abandoned method. Did not work well for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by teavr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS OIL! This is just the best thing for soft hair. It makes my hair feel like silk. I just love it. On wet, freshly washed/shampooed hair, apply jojoba oil, then a leave-in conditioner and you will have the softest hair you can imagine.

I've also used it to remove make up. Just pour a bit into the palm of your hand and massage all over your face and eyes and then wash off with your fave cleanser. It removes all make-up, including eye make up.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2012 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Tako2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At first I thought jojoba oil was keeping my skin clear. I was wrong. A few weeks after using it as a moisturizer (I was only using a few drops), my skin was getting HORRIBLY clogged every few days. I've always had issues with clogged pores, but this time it was ridiculous. My face also became way too shiny halfway into the day whenever I used jojoba oil to moisturize. It seems like it works well enough for a lot of people, but if you have issues with clogged pores be very wary of jojoba oil. Also, the packaging of the Desert Essence product made it very easy to let a bit too much slip out, and when it comes to jojoba oil a little bit goes a long way, so you don't necessarily want to accidentally use too much of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by MaryFran

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

One of my bosses suggested I use jojoba oil for my sensitive skin. She said it can even help with hair loss in some cases. I picked up a bottle and have kept it in stock ever since. I find it works best when I put it on right before I get out of the shower. My face is less oily than before, and I don't break out. The only drawback is the packaging. As others have stated, the bottle isn't great.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by mimepanda

I starte using jojoba oil as a part of a mixture alongside grapeseed and castor oils for an oil cleansing mixture. When the castor oil gave me the most horrific break out my face had ever seen, I gave up on that and threw the bottle away. However I did keep the jojoba oil to use as a moisturizer. I find the oil is a bit too light to be used alone as when I put it on at night I wake up in the morning with tight, dry skin. However if I mix a few drops into whatever moisturizer I am using for the night, I wake up with plump, dewy skin. It doesn't seem to have helped my acne a lot, but it didn't break me out either. I really like this when mixed with other moisturizers but would only use it at night as it leaves my face oily for a while if I use it in the morning.

Packaging is the weak point here as it's nearly impossible to travel with the bottle once it's been opened (I rely on a lot of Saran wrap and plastic baggies), it is hard to dole out an exact amount of oil without spilling some and the plastic bottle falls over quite easily. However I paid only $9 for a bottle and it lasted me over a year so the price is quite acceptable.

Overall, would recommend especially to those who have dry or sensitive skin. It didn't work miracles on my acne but didn't exacerbate it, and I do feel it helps a lot with giving me glowing, moisturized skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by cyens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have very sensitive skin, most commercial lotion and soap give me really bad skin irritation or break out. I've been making my own cosmetics for a while now for these reasons, but I never can my lotion for my face that isn't too oily/thick. So I decided to try using jojoba oil pure as a face moisturizer, after reading in a book that it as the same consistency as skin sebum. Its amazing! I've been using this for about 4 years now and it perfect. I apply one or two drops to my face aright after washing it with sls free soap, and toning it with witch hazel distillate ( with a few added drops of vegetable glycerin ).
I use this more during the winter than the summer, as my face gets really dry from the harsh Canadian winters mixed the drying heat of my electric heaters. It really balances everything.
I also been using this jojoba oil on my piercing and my stretchers. It really helped the healing process.
UPDATE: I finished my bottle and I repurchased organic oil from a soap /lotion making supplier because it was cheaper. But Desert essence is still a fantastic product.