September 20, 2014 | 929 users online

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 7:14:00 AM More reviews by MillicentWinds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm reviewing the Braun Silk Epil

Tips:

Drag the epil. SLOWLY along your skin. From ankle to knee it should be a span of 15 seconds.

Don't press down. It won't work as well. Hover it lightly on your skin.

Make sure the epil. is paralell to your skin, not at an angle.

Exfoliate before in the shower.

The pain does get better :D

So, I have no option but to use this as I can't afford regular waxings right now and I get major stubble and ingrowns from razors, and depilators burn my skin.

So, this handy device. I do my legs, arms, tummy, and sometimes face with this. The light seems pointless, so you may be tempted to go for a cheaper model without it. But it is so handy for catching every hair, as it illuminates what you are epilating.

It does hurt. So much. My god. I cried a little. But it gets better with time, and it's like a waxing every time.

And the hair takes forever to grow back if you do this correctly.

Huge epilator thread:

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 12:35:00 PM More reviews by LeahLuvd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I somehow stumbled upon this review when looking for something completely irrelevant and was instantly intrigued. I had a 20% off coupon to Bed, Bath and Beyond (sign up on their website and you'll get a coupon every couple weeks), so I bought the Braun 5000 series for $56 after the 20% off.

I have dark hair, but it isn't coarse and doesn't grow too fast. I expected this to be pretty painful, so I took 2 motrin and 2 tylenol and a hot shower first. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, I used to pluck my underarm hair about 10 years ago, so that's not a really sensitive area for me anyways. At first it did sting a little. But I pulled the skin as taut as possible and this seemed to help. After a couple minutes my body acclimated to the sensation and it didn't hurt *quite* as bad.

I did my legs a little, but there wasn't much to do, since I had shaved recently. It did sting initially, but I did get used to it after a couple minutes. In fact, overall, I found that it hurt less when I "pressed it up and down", instead of dragging it across the area. Going with the direction of the hair growth, instead of against it, made it less painful also.

Then I got a little braver and decided to try the fine hair on my knuckles-barely felt it. So I moved to my upper lip. I know others said it's not for facial hair, but I only have fine hair on my upper lip anyway, so I dabbed the area and it worked amazingly!!! I'm SO impressed just with that-I hate bleaching and waxing my upper lip (mostly lazy) and the epi took literally 5 secs. and by dabbing it only stung a little. My lip didn't even turn red afterwards like it does with waxing! I see a few very fine hairs left, but I'm honestly not worrying about it because I have to be 6 inches away from the mirror to barely see them.

After that I decided to try my arms, which is kinda fine hair also. I started by firmly "dabbing" to get accustomed to the feeling, and then I dragged the epi in the direction of the hair and back. I was surprised at how easily the hair came up and how bearable the pain actually was.

I haven't decided whether or not to do my bikini area. I have both waxed and lasered there once before, but I haven't had the nerve or $$ to do it more. I think I'll have get some numbing cream before I even think about it seriously.

But so far I am LOVING this epilator! Thanks for all the recs!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2007 1:47:00 PM More reviews by makeup9111

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bio: Dark hair that grows relatively fast, scared of waxing.
Pros: Gets even the teeniest hairs you never knew you had
Works on legs, bikini and underarm
Multiple speeds and pain relieving attachment, little light
Has the most tweezer heads of any epilator on the market
Hurts way less that the Emjoi brand
I'm hair free for a long time with this
Cons: Expensive- but justifiable cause now I don't need to shave
Hurts at first, but you get used to it.
Overall: Using this and the Tend Skin deodorant my underarms have never been so smooth and not irratated. You will get ingrowns if you don't use Tend Skin or somthing of the like to prevent them, it hurts worse under your arms than in your bikini area for some reason, but I like the fact that I have the control over how much I do at a time rather than having someone (a waxer) decide for me. I love love love this, one of the best purchases I've ever made. For you ladies that wax- this gives the same results and is far more cost efficient!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2007 2:28:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

I am on my second trusty Epilady and although there is pain, after 20 odd years of sporadic use I am quite used to it. The downside to epilating, for me, is that I have unsightly ingrown hairs and small bumps on my legs, also I have developed some broken capillaries (spider veins) and wonder if there is a co-relation to the epilating. Occasionally, I even have to dig out the ingrown hair with a small pin (gross) which results in a scab. So for me it is a mixed blessing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 9:45:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

Let me start this review by mentioning that my hair grows extremely fast although not particularly dark. When I used to shave, it was twice every day or else my legs would feel rough with stubble. Then about 8 months ago I developed a rash on my legs from shaving. I had to stop shaving for weeks at a time in order to let my skin heal. In desperation I turned to epilation to reduce the razor burn. I read the reviews of the Braun Silk-Epil and immediately rushed out to purchase. I dreaded the first time I epilated as my hair was quite long, and I could imagine the pain...but I was totally wrong! Yes it felt uncomfortable, but not acutely painful. It hurts me more to pluck my eyebrows. The device itself is noisy, but that is by far the worst aspect (the cat thought so too, poor kitty hides while I use the epilator). My leg hairs were removed efficiently and quickly, and although regrowth happens at different times, I have no problem epilating every couple of days. In fact I find it a pleasant experience! Hairs that you didn't know you had are removed and when you clean the epilator, you can see exactly how many hairs were plucked. I epilated on Sunday, and by Thursday I could feel the regrowth just a little. So 5 days without shaving and lathering my skin in cortisone cream. Heaven! **UPDATE** It has been a few days since I last epilated and the ingrowing hairs are a nightmare! My skin is itchy and sore (but I have extremely dry skin anyway which aggravates the itching). I have started using pure vitamin E oil on my legs at night which has really helped with the ingrowing hairs. My skin is not so itchy now and a lot smoother. I would not go back to shaving now as this epilator is so much easier and convenient to use, even if I suffer with ingrowing hairs. **UPDATE** Ok, so the ingrowing hairs were temporary! It was only the first week that I got them, now I don't get any whatsoever. I think my legs were just trying to get used to the epilator, that's why I had such a reaction. Now I don't even need to use the vitamin E oil on my legs, and even SO has noticed how good my skin looks! I would certainly rush out to buy another epilator if this one was lost or broken. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2007 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Tuhreesuh

Lately I've been trying to reduce my waste and buy products that will last for a few years. So, I bought this epilator to use in place of razors and gels. After turning it on the first time, I was very surprised by the sound and the speed of the rotating head! It took me quite a few minutes to muster up the nerve to actually use it, and once I did, the plucking sensation was a little painful (6.5/10) on the lower legs, 7.5/10 on the knees, 8 on the upper legs, 6 on my arms, and 9 on my underarms. I have thick, black, coarse hair that has visible roots even if I'm shaved smooth. Halfway through my underarms I had to stop, but the next day I took two ibuprofen and finished them and it wasn't half as bad. I've had it for about a week now and have used it three times. I can tell it will take a couple of times before I'm totally smooth because the hair grows in at different times, but I think it is very effective and I love that it'll pay itself off in a few months!

I'm waiting to see how it will do on the underarms - I'm cursed with 'shadows' under my arms no matter how close I shave, and I hope they go away with use. they are VERY smooth under there though, and stay that way much longer than if I shaved, which is awesome. I got it off amazon and got it within a few days. I also luckily had $50 GC so I only paid about $10 for mine.

added 11/14/07 - I'm still pretty sensitive to the pain, though it's not nearly as bad, probably around a 4, and I expect it will stay that way. The underarms are SO MUCH more tolerable after doing it the first time, though it's not as 'clean' as the arms/legs - I'm not sure if it's in the technique or what. Also, I find that I have to epilate almost just as much as shaving - my hair grows REALLY fast I guess. I've been doing it 2-3 and sometimes even 4/5 days a week. i wouldn't say it gets me any smoother than shaving, but, I will stick with it because it's not as wasteful, and maybe with time the regrowth will lessen, but as of now, I epilate just as much as I shaved.

**updated 9/26/08**** I still use the epilator, but I am getting ingrown hairs even though I am using exfoliating gloves when I shower. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to eliminate this. I find also that I get smoother results if the hair has grown a little longer than just epilating daily or even every other day. However, it means that it hurts more! My underarms are still painful. Regrowth is about the same. So I would really say the only pros for me on this product are the cost and waste reduction. Instead, I get pain and ingrown hairs. hooray! I will continue to use this product for the rest of my life though :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2007 2:46:00 PM More reviews by rinnins

My epillator is one of the best things that ever happened to me!!!
I have ALWAYS suffered from shaving - razor burn, ingrown hairs - my skin is ridiculously sensitive. Things got much much much better when I used my husband's razor one day - I think they're sharper, and the wire wrapped blades keep me from scraping off the skin on my knee caps.

Anyway, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so when I read rave reviews for the Braun Silk Epil I decided to give it a try. The first time? YOWCH. I highly recommend lots of Advil and a half-glass of wine before taking on that project. The first time is the worst. But once you thin out the forest, each subsequent go with the epilator is easier and much less painful.

My process:
Advil and/or wine, shower, epillate, lotion (I add a drop of tea tree oil).
I'll have that really attractive "plucked chicken" look for about 24 hours.
Then I clean up anything that was missed with a quick shave the next day.

I epillate/shave once a week, and my legs look and feel great. I'm happy, my hubby's happy, everyone's happy!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2007 5:31:00 PM More reviews by pnaranjos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I grew up thinking that shaving was for men's faces, not for girls' legs, that was what wax was for. However, even though I love waxing because it is SO fast, I hate having to book an appointment and then paying so much for it, and there is no way I am doing it myself unless I want wax all over my house.
That is where SilkEpil SHINES. You do it at home, anytime day or night and the nasty growing hairs are gone. Plus, there is no waiting for the hair to grow long enough for wax to be able to pull it. This little machine pulls TINY hairs.

Shaving turns little insignificant hairs into hard stubby growing spears, I hate the feeling on my legs on the third day after shaving. Big no-no for me.

Ok, it does hurt but then again, so does waxing and any other "hair-pulling" activity but not enough to turn me away. I have been using SilkEpil for at least 6 years and used Epilady (that one hurt more) before that. I love being hairless so I use it on my legs, feet, hands and arms with a pain around 3 from 0 - 10. Underarm is more like 5 and bikini line, well....7? Then again, it is not the machine's fault that this hurts, this is a paifult duty!

If you are used to the pain in waxing, you can manage no problem. If you only shave, I recommend buying from a place you can return. I am sure though that once you get "used" to the pain, you will not want to have to shave EVER again.

Keep in mind, my skin is VERY sensitive skin and I get red spots the day of, yet they go away the next day. As far as ingrown hairs, I use a scrub in the shower every day and that takes care of that.

Good luck.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2007 2:58:00 PM More reviews by alal

I lived in Europe, and one night I heard a 'whirring' noise from my flatmate's door (we shared a VERY thin wall). I asked her what she was doing, and she was 'epilating'. I had never even heard about this before, and she told me that shaving is really bad for your skin and I should try to use an epilator. So when I came home to the states, I bought myself the Silk Epil from Braun from Bed Bath & Beyond for $60 and used a 5 dollar off coupon. It comes with a powercord, the epilator, 2 different heads, a cold compress, and a little brush and bag for the whole kit. Not bad, considering I never have to buy razors, blades, and shaving cream ever again!! This was a GODSEND to me, since I have so much thick dark hair, on paler skin. I get the impression that people that did not like this have a really low pain tolerance or don't go waxing. I suppose I just have a high tolerance, as this didn't bother me at all. Its slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds and then I don't feel anything. On my armpits yes, its not comfortable but compare the Silk Epil quickly removing all hair vs. a waxer in a salon continually tugging at your pits!! I BLED when I waxed my pits in salons, and at home because wax pulls on your skin as well as hair. I never bleed from my Epil. I've used it on my bikini LINE (not the inside of my whooha, use your commonsense please!) and just like before it was better/quicker/cleaner than waxing. I use it on my legs and mostly gets the job done, as I have many ingrowns (curly hair, dry skin) and in a few passes my legs are quickly done. Knuckles are another place I use it. I don't use it on my face, as its not small enough to use it on the lip line and god forbid you catch an eyebrow or lash. I have used it on my jawline and it does pinch but its effective. I still would recommend this for body hair only tho. I believe they do make epilators for face separately. My head of the Epil clogged but new heads are available for a few dollars online, and it lasted over a year now! In conclusion, I love my epilator, its quick, clean, easy, painless, no bleeding or cut skin, no water, no cream, no blades, no razors, burning chemicals.....i think you see the advantages. I also know that epilators are VERY common in Europe, America what are you waiting for???!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2007 1:58:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

This review is for the silk-epil x'elle by braun. I tried this for 3 months and ended up returning it (ULTA has a great return policy!). I lived through the horrible pain the first few times and then that got more tolerable to me. The reason I returned this product is that my legs were never, ever smooth. The hair grew back quickly (remember, hair grows at all different rates so the ones below the surface will come up a day or two after epilating). I had to do touch ups at least every 5 days. I have fine, light hair so it's not that I am a hairy person! My skin always had little bumps after epilating which never went away. I definitely have softer, smoother legs with good old-fashioned shaving. It wasn't saving me any time by using the Braun epilator so I figure it's not worth it. Back it went!