July 30, 2014 | 2092 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by erikawe

I used this product for almost 2 years. I loved the coverage and I thought it didn't make me break out but I was actually taking medicine for acne at the same time. I got pregnant and had to stop all the acne medicines.... I started to break out badly. My obgyn said it was hormonal changes, my dermatologist said the same thing. But I started to research online and find out Algae Extract is a one of the worse comedogenic ingredients in cosmetics. Some of the Jane iradale products contain this ingredient. I stopped using it right away and my skin cleared up. Bottom line, if you have acne prone skin, this may not be the one for you. If you don't have problems with your skin, no doubt it has the best coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by Khristine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had always been curious about Jane Iredale products, but luckily when I went to Imats this past June, I was able to get color matched and purchased one on sale.

I must say, that I absolutely LOVE this powder foundation! it has great coverage, non-irritating, does not make me oily (i'm already oily enough) and gives ME a flawless looking appearance. It covers my acne spots quite well.

I did not find this to be chalky whatsoever, it glided on my skin. I use this alone or to set liquid foundation. I always have issues with other powders wearing off after a certain period of time (even with a primer) but not this one. I would purchase this again, but would have to save up to do so because it is just so expensive! but definitely worth it. I will probably keep buying this until I find something less expensive that can do the job. I have tried benefit hello flawless (which did nothing for me sadly) and a wide array of others, but they do not compare to this one! definitely recommend to everyone, regardless if you are acne prone or not - lovely product. very sturdy packaging (heavy), but well worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2011 9:34:00 PM More reviews by its123me

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Well I have to add my praises to those of all of the people who have praised this product. I have sensitive, rosacea, and dermatitis prone skin. My skin also quite light and cool toned, and I have had trouble finding a good foundation, that both looks good and doesn't irritate my skin. I am allergic to bismuth, so mineral makeup and all powders have been problematic. I also like more natural looking products. I have tried Dior, MAC, Clinique, Lancome, Bare Escentuals, Everyday Minerals, Laura Mercier, Just For Redheads, Aveda, and Benefit. All have looked artificial, broken me out, and made my rosacea look so much worse. Sigh. So, I finally decided to take a chance on Jane Iredale. I wear the Bisque color which is kind of yellow colored, which is good to counteract the redness in my skin. I did a lot of online research, including using their online makeover feature--it really helped me choose the correct color. I would not have really known to choose something yellow toned, as my skin is very not yellow! I did try it on first in the store--they carry it at a local beauty supply/salon called Kamay.

Do I like it? I love it. I think it looks completely natural and barely there, which is the look I like. I apply it very lightly over sunscreen and don't always apply all over, but mostly to my T-zone. It does need reapplication halfway through the day, but if I applied it heavier, it might not, but I like the sheer look. It doesn't settle into pores or lines and it's not shiny. It doesn't look at all like I have anything on--just perfect skin. Both my husband and son have thought that I wasn't wearing makeup (they both hate makeup on me) on the days I was wearing it! That's a big recommendation.

Yes, it is expensive. But, if it works, it's better than breakouts, redness, and irritation. Personally, I don't use much daily, so I expect it to last a long time. By the way, I have been using a puff to apply, as brushes irritate my skin. I also love the case. I haven't seen a real metal compact since I was a kid in the 1960s--very chic.

I'm really hoping that this is finally my Holy Grail makeup. It's my turn to find my perfect product. So far, so good.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by littlefangfang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me start with their customer service, it was OUTSTANDING. I always have a hard time to pick the right shade for all foundations even when I'm in the stores. Well, obviously it makes it a lot harder to try to match the right shade online through the color chart. So, I wrote an email to their customer service and described my skin type and shade. I told them I'm NC 40 with MAC. The very next day I got a reply from one of their representatives and asked me for my mailing address so she could send me samples. Within a week, I got 5 decent sized samples in those eye shadow containers. I tried them on and found the best match. I have to say after years and years of searching for the best foundation and after trying pretty much all the good brands ( from Department stores, sephora, sallys, ulta to drug store brands)you can think of, this is it! Highly recommended!!

BTW, before you purchase your next product regardless it's makeup or skin care make sure you check out www.ewg.org/skindeep/ first to see the toxic level. you will be shocked how much toxic chemicals are in our beauty products which we use on the daily basis.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 12:46:00 PM More reviews by laurendaugherty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is very expensive in my opinion ($50-$55), but totally worth it. Great for sensitive skin. Stays on all day, and somehow looks better towards the end of the day than it does at the beginning. I've found that it looks much better and more even when applied with a fat makeup brush than with the little compact puff it comes with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by stillhot

I had never heard of JI until I saw someone wearing it, and was taken with how beautiful their skin looked. Although this is marketed as a full out foundation, (which would be perfect for younger skin than mine) I use it as a finishing powder. It keeps my Chanel foundation perfect until I take it off; indeed my skin looks the same at night as it did in the a.m. Which is a good or bad thing, depending on the lighting!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Mineral powder foundation (no bismuth oxychloride for those interested) that also provides a tested SPF 20 coverage. Active sunscreen ingredients are 14% Titanium Oxide and 3% Zinc Oxide

INGREDIENTS:Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 3%. Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.

HOW DOES IT PERFORM? I'm a guy so I am approaching this product from a different perspective and using it for different needs than the average makeup wearer. For me, this product succeeds at covering redness and blotchy, uneven skin tone resulting from seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea. It also, when applied with either the Jane Iredale Handi Brush or a standard kabuki brush, provides coverage that is imperceptible to others which is critical for me as I am not interested in looking like I am wearing makeup. I wear this product over a very light hydrating toner and find that it does not overly dry out my oily/combination skin even in cooler weather. I would imagine in serious cold (below 32 F / 0 C) one would want to apply some sort of oil or cream to lock in moisture as this powder certainly will not add moisture. I use Avene Water Spray or any other available thermal water spray (you could use rosewater for example) to "set" the powder so it does not appear cakey.

The packaging is in the form of a metal compact (I would prefer something more discreet but...) that can be refilled which is excellent in my opinion, given my concerns for the environment and avoidance of wasteful packaging. The metal compact can also be recycled should you decide to no longer use the product.

WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Absolutely. This protects my skin from the sun adequately for everyday exposure at work or on days when I am not spending significant time outside and applies evently and imperceptibly which prevents me from looking like a drag queen or tranny mess (no offence to those who are either - it takes all kinds)

PRICE: $57 CAD for compact + product, $47 CAD for refills. Prices 5-7 dollars cheaper for Americans. Product should last several months even with daily use

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2011 5:04:00 AM More reviews by 2010jesslee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a JI's fan and I use lots of their products. I want to love this product but I really don't know why this product make my face so shiny after 2-3hours. I have applied it in so many different ways: different primer, different finishing powder and brushes etc... I have even put on JI beyond Matte powder and it is still the same, their Absence didn't help either.
This powder really gives good coverage at the beginning but the powder slide off when my face was getting more and more oily. I have oily acne prone skin that's why I want to go for mineral skin care. Besides, I have to say under sunlight it looks not so pretty, but at night time it does like Great under light bulb (yellowish light). I guess because of the light reflective ingredients from the powder? but I want to look great under natural light too :-(
Also algae extract is actually a Pore clogging agent, I search it on the net and it has the highest ranking. Most of the time, after the day I use this powder I got small pimples, the one has a white heads in it. I also think that it is too fast to finish one pan, it is not a cheap product so every 2 months need to get a refill.
So, I think if you have normal or dry skin, or more mature skin, this product will look great on u, i suppose your face will look 'dewy' and not greasy, and moisturizing too. For oily skin friends, I am afraid u need a good oil control primer and finishing powder to stay away from the shine.
I hope in the future, JI can have a better formulation for foundation to help people oily like mine, ...

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by xcheck

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This powder gives me a very natural look. It will not sit in your pores like a liquid foundation. It covers redness beautifully; it is magic. I use the Handi Brush, which is an amazing brush for application. It helps to use a spray to set the powder, I use both the Jane Iredale spray and also another herbal tonic. Both work great. The price is high but the powder lasts a bit longer than liquid foundation. The only slight issue I can comment on besides the high price is that during the winter, sometimes powder can be difficult to wear on dry skin. That, however, is a moisturizing problem, not related to the product. This is one of the best powder foundations on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2011 12:33:00 PM More reviews by woodenshoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I absolutely love this foundation. I prefer the Pressed Base because it it is easy to apply without creating a mess.

My skin is extremely oily and prone to breakouts and this foundation has a visible positive effect on my skin. It comes in a wide range of colors which made it easy for me to pick the perfect color for my skintone.

It is very important to use the Jane Iredale handi brush or the Jane Iredale flocked sponge to apply it. Other brushes just don�t have the same effect when it comes to coverage, blending and creating a natural effect.

I take one lippie of for the price since it's almost unaffordable when you are on a tight budget like me, but that doesn't stop me from buying it again.