April 19, 2014 | 1837 users online

Primer/ Corrector - L'Oreal - Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2013 7:32:00 AM More reviews by jinglingjambo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this primer as it was recommended by a friend who could not stop singing its praises. Sadly, for me, this primer didn't work. It was a decent price for a L'oreal product at around 7 and you get a decent amount. The packaging was ok but I would've preferred a pump bottle. It also smells weird as well...

Anyway, on to the actual product. This primer is like a white paste that claims to even out skintone and provide a good base for makeup.
I couldn't stand rubbing in this primer as it never felt fully absorbed and sometimes little clumps of product would sit on my skin. I tried applying this with my fingers and a few different brushes but nothing really worked. If I used a foundation brush then this primer would never sink in!

After application, my face didn't look or feel any better. I couldn't tell I had any primer on and my skintone was unchanged. Even when you start applying foundation, you can't see or feel any real benefits. This primer didn't make it into my daily routine and eventually, I threw it away.

I wouldn't repurchase or recommend as I saw no positive or even negative impacts. Nothing at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2013 4:22:00 AM More reviews by Nylemaj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was one of my impulse buys- and I am really glad I had that impulse. I feel so much more at ease with my makeup throughout the day knowing I have something to make it stay in place- plus it looks great just by itself. Some people have complained about it but Ire ally see no complaints from here. The texture is wonderful and one reviewer mentioned having to ""scoop"" the product from the jar, but if you're doing that, you're using far too much. You just need to dab your finger in, and rub it into your skin before using foundation or powder- or you could just use this if you were lucky enough to get the right kind of skin. I just put this on the back of my hand to test it and review it better, and it really does make everything matte. It fills in lines perfectly and the even lends a hand in evening out colors. I really do love this product and even with it being pretty pricey, I know I can make this last for months.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by vidabella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried a few primers (Nars, Bare Escentuals) and this one by far is my favorite. I was in search of a primer to help control my skin during the day which tends to get a bit oily in the t-zone area and also something that would help make my makeup last throughout the work day. I use MakeupForever foundation and it tends to need a reapplication without use of a primer. This works great and creates a smooth finish...ever since I've been using I've been getting compliments on my skin and no need to retouch my makeup. Would definitely by again. Just wish they had a bigger size.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by beautyforless

Really liking this. I have acne and scarring, and while there are some lovely foundations out there can cover them nicely (hello Rimmel Lasting Finish) the texture of my acne still remains. Not with this little guy.
I just pat it on around my problem areas; pores, acne scarring, unidentifiable who knows what. Presto! Everything has been majorly diminished. I then go in with my Rimmel Fix and Perfect Primer to seal everything in. And it doesn't budge. Woohoo!
I still feel like there isn't a whole lot for what you spend. Yes, a little goes a long way, but come on Loreal, add a little more. Don't be stingy with your magic voodoo that makes my skin look nicer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by Maryso

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love!
I bought this in preparation for being a bridesmaid in Arizona's 110 degree weather!!
Helped my foundation last throughout all the events and photographs of the day, glides on easily, dries quickly.
Love it! Will definitely be purchasing again!
My only quam is having to pay $13 for such a little jar..but I do love the product!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by indiebaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I loved loved loved this when I used it on a regular basis.

You only need very little. I remember I would sometimes put my sunscreen on before, let that sink in then apply this primer.

You only need so little, which is why the tub is so little. If you use too much it's going to feel gross on your skin and won't work how it's suppose to. Use a very small dollop, no more than you really need. Give it 10 minutes to set into your skin.
Once it's set it helps your makeup stay on and look so, so silky smooth.

The product barley lasted for me, because I loved using it too much. Really made my skin look that great. Never felt that it broke me out either. Works to help keep eyeshadow in place longer too.

Only negative is there is a high potential to break some people out. There is A LOT of silicone in this product, and many other primers.

Kind of pricy, so that's why I haven't repurchased in a long time.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/23/2012 10:36:00 AM More reviews by LavenderApples

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used the entire jar of this and all I'm left thinking is "Did I use it right?"

I applied this because earlier in my makeup days I thought I "needed" a primer. Um. Yeah, no.

I applied it for a while and I did notice this has a noticeable effect on oily areas, if you have them! I applied it to my T-zone on days I didn't feel like wearing makeup, and it left me with a matte look like I was actually wearing something! Which is a good thing for lazy days.

I'm not a fan of the tiny amount and the consistency. You have to scoop it out with your finger and nails and spread it all over your face. That's not sanitary- especially for those of us who (instead of spending an hour on makeup each morning) slap stuff on our faces before running out of the door! If you buy this, you need to add an anti-bacterial cleanser to your routine.

It didn't make a difference when I wore foundation. It didn't do a thing for eye shadow (even though that isn't what it's for, I just thought why not use it up?). It didn't make me less oily simply because I wasn't oily to begin with, I guess.

If you need this stuff, great.
But if you don't, trust me, it's not going to do much for you.

I recommend a smashbox-ish primer, because you can squirt it on to the back of your hand and use a clean brush to apply it!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by hrtbrkr78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Edit 02/02/13: In humid Hawaii, this was too drying. In LA, it's a no go for me. It makes my skin look flaky and I don't even have flakes. This may work for those with very oily skin, though. I still love how much this evens out skin as just a primer. More so than Miracle Skin by Sarah McNamara; that product was a total fail. I gave whatever I had bought to my almost-70 mum who still raves about this every time I call her. She says her skin feels so smooth and makeup goes on evenly. That is a good thing because she is constantly powdering her lovely complexion every few hours. This helps to not get a cake-y look on her skin. She has normal to oily skin even at her age so it works for her. I'll try it again in a few months, though.

I saw the before and after pictures of the advertisement on the stand at Longs and I knew I had to try it: the pictures were just amazing with, what I am presuming, just the primer. As soon as I put it on, I could instantly see my skin looking even. It truly is magic in a jar. I told my 69 age mom to try it. She has amazing skin with just a few wrinkles on her cheeks but very dark circles and heavy wrinkling on the eye area. I knew she would love it also! She said it made her makeup go on really smooth and helped with brightening and smoothing on her wrinkles. My mom liked it so much, she took my jar. On sale, it's under $10 so no biggie. While I love the longevity and packaging of my more expensive primers like Hourglass, Shiseido and Givenchy, I'm pretty sure that this is the one that will get the most use because of price and quality. The only thing I don't like is the primer kind of sticks to your fingers upon dipping into the nice glass jar. One lip removed for the messiness but it's minor, really. It's great for my combo to oily skin and with this, I can just wear translucent powder for a fast and easy weekend look without shine. This diminishes the look of my pores enough for others not to notice but not quite 100% for me; maybe 80% which is still good. It is silicone based and quite drying for my skin, even in 90% humidity. I do have to wear a thick coat of moisturizer under this and let it sink in a bit. If you're in Honolulu, you can go the Longs/ CVS and ask to try the testers. Beware that when this is on sale, the shelves are almost empty. I bought 1 in a suburban area of Hon. at the beginning of the week and by end, all but 1 was on the shelf. When I get back to LA, I'm going to test it out in those weather conditions, as well as sponge/ brush applications. I've been using my fingers and it's good but maybe a brush will get it more evenly covered over pores.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

When primers first burst into mainstream makeup years back (as in being marketed to everyday folks like me), this was one of the only two our local drugstore carried...so naturally I snatched it up. I've since moved to a much bigger place where things are MUCH more readily available and have become a certified makeup junkie! LOL! My point? My point is, I've tried every primer from Givenchy and Hourglass, from Korres to Benefit, from Maybelline to Cover Girl...and this L'oreal primer always comes out on top. I have huge pores and combination/dry, red, blotchy skin (thank you genetics!). I also have sun damage and fine lines out the wazoo. This primer is the only one with the staying power I need and creates a flawless base for makeup application. It's the only one that hides my pores and it keeps my makeup on for every bit of 12 hours before a touch-up is needed! I can talk all day but the proof is in the primer! Goes to show expensive does NOT always mean better!! Only downside is that it's in a jar (if that sort if thing concerns you).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by katemvirginia

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue