Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 6/8/2012 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

To all the mineral gals out there, if you want a mineral foundation that will give you full coverage w/ matte finish that won't make you look flat, lucy minerals is the way to go. I'm serious, the coverage of this foundation is out of this world. However, there is always a trade off......the higher the coverage of any foundations, the heavier it feels. But I find this foundation feel the lightest comparing to other foundations I'd tried. The color choices is not as broad as everyday minerals however, you can buy sample size for $2.5 to try out. I'm nc 20-25 w/ mac, EM in butterd tan or golden medium, BE in light, and I use creamy olive w/ lucy minerals. During summer time i use medium olive when i get a little tan. There are different formulas in this brand. I have combo/oily skin and I find OCC formulation suit best for my skin.

The way I use this mineral foundation is pretty much the same as everyone else on here. I either use a flat top brush or a large dense kabuki brush (depending on how much coverage you want) and stipple the foundation on. I tried the buff method before, and it didn't turn out so good.

Fyi, lucy minerals offer free shipping quite often. Save youself a few bucks and wait till they run that special.

on 6/4/2012 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Before I get into the details, I want to say that I highly recommend this brand. If their foundation doesn't work for you, I still think you should try their other mineral makeup: blush, eyeshadow and eyeliner.

Quick take:

Pro -- excellent coverage; very pigmented (a little goes a long way); overall, great effect; incredibly reasonable price/value; fantastic customer service

Con -- a bit of a steep learning curve, does not apply like any other mineral foundation; may not be for all skin types; shades are a little limited/require experimentation

-----

I had mix feelings when I first tried out this product. I felt like I didn't have the right colour match and it just didn't look that great on, so I gave up and tried another brand (Everyday Minerals). One day, while visiting my parents, I decided to try a Lucy Minerals sample on my mother. Golden Medium matched her skin perfectly and the effect was amazing. Her face positively GLOWED. It looked incredible on and covered most of her age spots. She looked a few years younger -- that's saying something since my mother already looks great for her age.

I decided to give Lucy Minerals another try, mixing my shade samples until I got the right colour: 65% Creamy Olive, 35% Medium Olive. By this point, I was a pro at applying the foundation and I started to really like the results. Compared to Bare Escentuals (I used Matte in Light) and Everyday Minerals (Light Olive), Lucy had the better coverage and overall better look. It makes your skin appear luminous. It's now my go-to foundation.

I finally decided to put in an order for a full sized foundation, which they custom mixed at my direction. I got it in the mail today (it came in a little jar with my name on the bottom instead of the usual shade name) and just put it on. It looks fantastic! I got it in oil control with calcium carbonate. I find that their oil control actually does do a bit to keep my oily skin from getting too overwhelming. I also bought these items during their Memorial Day sale (they're always having sales and deals) and it was well worth the money.

Warnings and recommendations:

Use a good primer to even out your skin and exfoliate regularly. Use a very sparing amount (don't treat it like other mineral foundations and buff loads on). Use a stippling/flat top brush. Step back and wait a few minute between layers.

This foundation works best if you have pretty good skin texture. My mother, bless her genes, may be just shy of 60, but has great skin texture. I, on the other hand, have issues with oiliness and acne, thus some uneveness and dry spots, but it's not that bad. With a gentle hand, and the correct application process, the foundation looks just as good as any other kind I've used (liquid and dry), if not better.

Also, whatever you do, don't buff it on in globs! I recommend using a concealer brush to brush a little on problem spots. Then, use a flat-top (or any other stippling brush), pick up a tiny bit of powder (you may need to shake off some excess) and gently stippling it on over your face. And then do a few gentle sweeping motions to even it out.

I want to stress again how great their customer service is. Every time I've had questions, I got a response within 24 hours. I also like all their free gifts and samples when you order. The only detraction is their rather difficult to navigate website, but it's forgivable. They're a "mom & pop" operation, not some big corporation that can afford to hire marketing firms and expensive designers. They put a lot of their money into their product and it shows.

on 6/3/2012 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have to say that I tried 8 different shades and no match. Not only that it is not oil controlling at all even when paired with both types of finishing powder . I also tried both formulas. The coverage is really good but I am not looking to make my routine harder by having to use a primer etc.love the eyeshadow but I'm leaving the foundation alone.

Update..... I actually travel to Flrida quite a bit so last month I went to the boutique. I got quite a bit of help, found the right foundation, and I love it! also please try it with the brush that is on her website as it makes a HUGE difference. I actually cannot believe it! My skin is doing really awesome...it's less oily which for me is amazing and I do believe it is helping my skin. I use the OCC in shell beige with a bronzer. It is phenom! Also, the blushes are amazing. I think the Lucy trick of putting the foundation on bare skin really did it for me.

on 5/28/2012 9:24:00 AM

If I could give this 4.5 if I could!
This is my favorite foundation.
I have sensitive skin which gets oily during the day. My skin is pretty fair (I take Ivory/Fair in most foundations). I tried this foundation after reading the reviews on here and after other foundations started giving me spots.
The samples are so cheap its worth ordering a few to find the correct shade.
I use the Oil Control Silca formula in Light (I sometimes mix a bit of the Fair foundation in the winter months when my skin is lighter). I would also recommend ordering a sample size of a lighter colour to use like a concealer.
The foundation goes on easily (its important to use it very sparingly though), feels light and gives good coverage. The finish is very matte at first but after half an hour or so becomes pretty natural looking.
The costumer service at Lucy is very good. They are quick to deal with question/problems. I live in the UK and the shipping is fast (about 2 weeks) and often free! (But beware of UK VAT and handling charges which can be expensive although I have only been charged these once).
The reason I have taken 1 star of is that I do have to wear a powder over this foundation to fix it as well as topping it up during the day. Also you need to be careful about the amount of foundation you apply as it can look orange if its too thick.
This stuff has been great on my sensitive skin and I very rarely get spots now.
I have ordered this for a number of friends who are also very happy with it.

on 5/20/2012 5:11:00 AM

I read all the great reviews on this and was so hopeful. Even trying different colors of it made my skin look worse than possible. Cakey and made my face look older , and showed every wrinkle. Broke me out too.
I think this is better suited to younger skin. My 16 yr old daughter is having better results. Great customer service though. Not worth the hype

on 5/17/2012 5:35:00 PM

I really wanted to love this product, but as other reviewers have said, the effect on my face is "fine lines showing,skin patches, dry chalky look." It just won't settle in and look like my skin. I also have dry patches with skin peeling off. And not only that -- around my inner eyes and sides of nose, this foundation just won't come off, even after rubbing it with baking soda and Q-tips. So annoying.
And now I'm stuck with a full-size, because this only started happening to me a week into using the try-it size everyday (and by that point I already bought a big container).

on 5/13/2012 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I feel seriously bad for people who find this product doesn't work for them. Either because of allergy with the ingredients, or even worse, can't seem to find a way to make it work.

This thing is miraculous. I mean, the usual catchprase that we hear is "cream to powder", this one's "powder to cream". Like, seriously? And boy, does it lives up those words. I find it easy to work up the coverage from sheer to full. How great is that. It covers any redness and almost any pigmentation, but still has my freckles peeking through. Me likey.
It might look a little bit cakey and powdery right after application. But, after 15-30mins it does look very creamy and natural. By creamy, I mean it looks like my skin but much better. It just melds right into the skin. The key is just to buff, buff, buff.
If you can't wait that long, just spray the face with water. I even splash my face with water. LOL. However, if you can find the perfect shade (or shade mix) that works for you, you'll find you barely need to do that. It's hard to imagine someone fails to do so with the vast array of shades offered.

It is awesome in photos as well. Makes my skin looks naturally smooth. *sigh*

I'd say Golden Medium was perfect when I'm at my lightest I get at this point (NC25-30). I'm hovering around NC35 right now and Medium Caramel is perfect. I'll get Caramel in the summer when I tan to around NC40-42.

I also use the original formula. I tried the OCC one, thinking my face is that oily, but found it way too cakey-looking and makes my face looks dry. When I tried that, my face was peeling from a tretinoin treatment and it latched onto those dry flakes. Funnily enough, the original one seemed to helped off the flakiness a bit.

I think I should've given it 1 star for price. Although it costs 14bucks a pop on the first purchase, the jar is still a quarter full after more than a year. And that is with me dividing some of it to little jars to keep it in my purse and boyf's apartment. You only need a SUPER TINY amount every usage to cover the whole face and jaw and neck, and even the chest. And I never find any need to touch up as it's waterproof, sweatproof, and lasts the WHOLE day.
Tested through the sun and sweat and humidity and sea and rain and snow.

====UPDATE (Nov 2, 2012)====
This summer, to make morning routine much more quick since I went on summer holiday with a bunch of people and I didn't want to have anyone waiting for me doing a long routine, I mixed this with my sunscreen of choice (Boots Soltan Baby Lotion SPF50+). It also made easy reapplication after dipping into the sea. It held up amazingly after a long swim, but of course sunscreen needs to be reapplied constantly. But no coverage melted off my face.
(I shall NOT do this again! Ay, how stupid I was. Never mess with a sunscreen!)

At the beginning of this fall, my skin improved from the latest skincare regime I got into, so I no longer needed whole-face coverage. Used dry to spot conceal with RT pointed foundation brush and it still melts beautifully into the skin. No one really can tell that I spot-concealed.

Then, growing lazy and not wanting to rely on brush, I started dabbing the powder on the areas I want to conceal when my sunscreen (-cone based SkinAqua UV Moisture Milk SPF50) is still wet, and blend. When the sunscreen dries off, all the pigmentations are gone.
Mixed directly into the sunscreen, it creates the loveliest finish of foundation. Dewy, luminous, healthy looking skin. The coverage lasts throughout the whole day, too, through anything. The finish looks very similar to NARS Tinted Moisturizer, except that this mix does NOT oxidize and patchy after a few hours like NARS.

This mineral powder is a bliss to be mixed with quite a variation of liquids, sunscreens in my case. When it set, it lasts ALL. DAY. LONG.

I tried to replace this foundation a couple times with fancier brands. Kept crawling back, instead.

Absolute all-around winner in my book.

on 5/1/2012 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

About 6 months ago I realized my face had started to become super congested. I switched foundations FIVE times (EL Double Matte, MUFE HD, MUFE Mat Plus, Lancome Teint Ultra and Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed) and it only got worse with each product. Then one night I happened upon a message board that suggested cosmetic acne. BAM! That was it. I nixed all my 'cone and bismuth hydro products and set out to find something that'd cover my patchwork of acne (scars and active).

Lo and behold, I found Lucy. In a word, amazing. I have crazy oil skin, acne and I'm super sensitive. This product is wonderful for both. It covers, imparts a velvety finish and feels so nice. Does it stay matte all day? No. Do I care? No. Because the coverage is so lovely, I don't care if I look a bit sheenish because it feels so great.

I am using the OCS in pale olive and I am adoring the OCC finishing powder. I think the best part of the line (and the item I didn't much consider prior to the order) is the Ambrosia oil. It's to die. I do like Anne says and put it on my skin wet out of the shower and it sinks right in and makes a perfect base for minerals. There is is no greasy shine left behind -- it just feels smooth and smells wonderful

Customer service superb. I ordered on Thursday night and it was in my mailbox Monday afternoon.

Highly, highly recommended.

on 4/26/2012 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Okay, so I started breaking out and switched to mineral makeup. I tried BE, Hourglass, and Alima. Hourglass worked the best for me, but it ran out quickly and cost around $50, plus it was very sheer so I had to use a light layer of foundation underneath. When complaining about the terrible breakout I got from BE on here, a user emailed me and told me about Alima and Lucy Minerals. I received Alima in the mail first and thought it was okay, but didn't beat the Hourglass.
And then Lucy Minerals came. OMG, I like this sooo much! I was very stupid and over-used my Retin A, so my skin basically got a peel, and I've been having to practically bathe in moisturizer, so my skin has been really dry/really really oily (moist). However, despite all of these factors, this makeup has stood up surprisingly well. I'm currently testing out different shades/foundation types,and the finishing powders as well.
When it comes to the foundation, I love it! The coverage is so so amazing. I even ordered the brush from Lucy Minerals, and it came today. The concealer brush should be coming Saturday-Monday, and it really boosts the look of the foundation. I am a person who uses like a million products on my face (like mixing two types of foundations and/or powders), but I feel like with this, all I need is primer, this, and a finishing powder. It also looks extremely natural. I gave this a 5 because my skin is in a weird place right now, so I'm still playing around with different formulas.
The CONS:
There's really been only one so far, but I'm convinced that it can be fixed if I try a different formula. The makeup tends to slide off of my face pretty quickly, even with finishing powder on top. However, I can just add more makeup and it looks fresh. Still, I ordered a sample of the oily skin formula and finishing powder, because this concerns me. I didn't take off anything for this though because 1. my already oily skin is being suffocated with moisturizer these days, and 2. the original/light formula may just not be for me.
I have recommended this foundation to about four people so far, I am so so excited about it.
I rated the price a 2 because it might be expensive for some, but I consider it super cheap. I'm still using my sample, so I imagine the full size, which is like $14, will last me months, whereas the Hourglass which was $50, lasted me about three-four weeks.
I feel like everyone should try this foundation at least once and play around with it. So far, this has really impressed me, and I am not easily impressed.

on 4/24/2012 10:25:00 AM

I've tried so many different brands of MMU and I've found a few that I really liked but nothing has really wowed me, until I tried Lucy Minerals. I ordered a few samples just to try it out. The samples came in little sifter jars and I received a free sample of an eye makeup along with my order. This is unlike anything else I've tried. It's hard to describe what this feels like on the skin. When you first apply it it's similar to other mineral makeup but over a short period of time it just sort of melts into your skin and it becomes creamy. To me it looks more natural than any other mineral makeup I've tried. It doesn't make my skin look glittery or shiny (which I love) but instead it's more of a smooth finish. It has alot of pigment in it and it gives great coverage so a little goes a long way. I usually have to wear a concealer under my eyes with other makeup but with this I don't even need it. I have to avoid makeup with common irritants in it like bismuth oxychloride because it causes breakouts and makes my skin itch terribly so I was happy to see that this doesn't have ingredients in it that irritate my skin. In fact the original formula actually has a few antioxidants in it but there is also a formula without them too called "Lucy Light". I wore this with no itching, no irritation and it has great staying power. (If staying power is a problem for you try using a good quality primer underneath it) My only complaint is that I didn't think there was enough of a variety of color selections in the foundations but they will make a custom blend for you if you can't find an exact match or if you're in between shades etc. Shipping took a little longer than expected but not a big deal, all of the makeup is very reasonably priced, great customer service and I love being able to support a small company too. What's not to love?!? I think I just may have found my HG in mineral makeup! :)